Print Page | Close Window

Cinci State Middletown - The Real Story!!

Printed From: MiddletownUSA.com
Category: Middletown City Government
Forum Name: Economic Development
Forum Description: Local government efforts to develop the local Middletown area economy.
URL: http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6682
Printed Date: Mar 29 2024 at 12:57am

Topic: Cinci State Middletown - The Real Story!!
Posted By: Analytical
Subject: Cinci State Middletown - The Real Story!!
Date Posted: Feb 09 2018 at 11:36am
According to an excerpt from Rick McCrabb's story in today's Middletown Journal, enrollment at Cinci State - Middletown has dropped from the combined 740+ students obtained by Vivian Moon from school officials roughly two years ago.  Now, Mr. McCrabb states that the combined enrollment (including online students) is down to 552.

When senior city staff and city council members widely touted this "downtown deal", they proclaimed that enrollment at Cinci State would possibly reach 5,000 by now.  It's also noteworthy to again mention that Store Master Funding, who purchased the former CG&E Building a couple of years ago,  is about $279,000 in arrears on their Butler County property taxes too!  What a success story Mr. Adkins and city council?

Happy birthday, Middletown! 7 things to know about the city’s history for its 185th birthday

• http://www.journal-news.com/news/local/rick-mccrabb/fkwpn02L6KCwIjP87aZeiJ/" rel="nofollow - Rick McCrabb
  •   Staff Writer
      6:30 a.m. Friday, Feb. 9, 2018   http://www.journal-news.com/community/middletown" rel="nofollow - Middletown

6. High educational opportunities

Besides two high schools — Middletown and Bishop Fenwick — Middletown offers students an opportunity to continue their education at Cincinnati State Middletown and Miami University Middletown.

MUM opened in Middletown in 1966, followed by a branch campus in Hamilton two years later. Students can earn their associate’s or bachelor’s degrees at MUM. There are about 2,000 students enrolled at MUM.

Cincinnati State, located in the former six-story Duke Energy building on Central Avenue, opened in August 2012. It offers a variety of associate’s degree and certificate programs that can be completed entirely on the Middletown campus, entirely online, or through a combination of both.

Additionally, a number of programs can be started on the Middletown campus and completed on the Clifton campus. The Middletown campus also offers numerous co-op opportunities for students.

There are 552 students taking classes downtown and on-line.

Replies:
Posted By: VietVet
Date Posted: Feb 10 2018 at 12:38pm
It is incredible to see/read about the city leaders constantly whitewashing all the "promises made/failures resulting" situations they generate. One of their own city mantra messengers, McCrabb (Journal), has now reminded us all of the 5000 foot traffic numbers (revised to 3000) promised/552 actually delivered after how many years in operation for Cincy State now???? Really didn't need that extra campus parking with the demo of the Ben Ligon service station now did you.

Fact. The story originally told concerning the success of this "downtown attraction" has never come close to realizing the numbers projected including the revised downward goal from years ago. No arguing from the city nor it's supporters. No looking at it from a positive standpoint as the embellishers would want us to do. The game plan is a far cry from the reality of the current situation now isn't it. There seems to be a lot of that going around with the city plans over the years. It's a big deal when you first announce it to the community and then becomes news silent when it goes down the crapper. Don't want to talk about it when it is failing do you.

It is what it is rose colored glass embellishers. Please stop the twisting and denying of what is actually there. Never going to turn it around unless you all admit the current city development game plan isn't working. That would be the beginning of making an attempt to go in the right direction with potential positive results as a benefit. It is with incredible disbelief that I read in the Journal (or on here), the comments made by those who just can't seem to see the light of reason. What are you people deciphering when you read this data? Are your egos that strong as to not allow you to admit you all could be wrong? How many failures do we all have to endure before you change your approach to making this city better? Being insistently stubborn in your ways is holding this city back from progressing.

As a side note:

The schools are the same way. How many years of poor academic performance do we have to endure before you change the way you are educating the kids? For that matter, how many years of poor sports performances do we have to see before the sports program tries other ideas garnered from successful programs? You put millions into a Barnitz Stadium rehab. You took millions of our money to build a Taj Mahal high school/middle school and sports complex and what are we seeing?......a 1-10 football program and a losing record basketball program. The facilities are top notch. The resulting performance is at an all time low. Why? Why are we paying for all of these academic and sports enhancements but receiving nothing in return?

Sooner or later, I would think SOMEONE should be held responsible for the pathetic state of affairs in the sports/academic programs here. It has gone on for years without any positive change. Why?

-------------
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.

Posted By: spiderjohn
Date Posted: Feb 11 2018 at 10:30am
? For everyone:

Is education becoming LESS of a priority in today’s society?

I can’t see this being good long-term, however I higher learning might need to become more cost effective and realistic down the road.
Maybe academia has become too opinionated, egotistical and seriously over-compensated considering the effort put forth.

Opinions?

Posted By: VietVet
Date Posted: Feb 11 2018 at 8:00pm
Opinion concerning education in society and here in Middletown......

IMO, education nation wide is still considered as a top priority for a successful future. Has been this way since my days in high school. A person with a college degree makes considerably more money than one with no college degree. I have seen the difference with the people I graduated high school. Those who got a degree started making much more than a person who graduated high school then went either to work or in the military. I chose a year and a half of college and then military and never approached their income levels, even after 48 years of working. It was my choice at the time but, in retrospect, I should have stayed in school even though I hated it. I have my regrets.

That is my opinion of the value of education nationwide.

Now, the other side of the coin. Education in Middletown. It MAY be true that Middletown's educators value education but they aren't doing a very good job of educating if one bases their decision on proficiency test scores and indicators met to date. Middletown schools are at the bottom in that area. They have a poor reputation in the area as to quality. They produce students who are not ready for college (at least according to MUM who has set up programs to upgrade incoming freshmen to college curriculum). Some Middletown graduates can't spell, can't read and can't write a sentence, a paragraph nor a theme which would be close to being grammatically correct. Many high school graduates write as it they are texting with no punctuation, no capital letters and no periods to end sentences. Why? They aren't even teaching cursive writing anymore are they? What happens when they sign their names to a legal document? Printing doesn't always cut it on paperwork.

Academia? Totally out of touch with employers as to how to prep the kids for the job market. They teach theory out of books and that doesn't always work in real world situations. Tech schools come much closer to meeting employer requirements IMO. They are clueless as to real world operations. They are well paid, and, at times, they earn it, and, at times, they don't.

-------------
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.

Print Page | Close Window