Print Page | Close Window

Taking more money from us

Printed From: MiddletownUSA.com
Category: Middletown Community
Forum Name: Middletown News, Info and Happenings
Forum Description: Discuss any Middletown Ohio area news story.
URL: http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6980
Printed Date: Mar 28 2024 at 4:27am

Topic: Taking more money from us
Posted By: VietVet
Subject: Taking more money from us
Date Posted: Feb 13 2020 at 5:34pm
According to the Journal, council is considering taking yet another 5 bucks from you for license plate fees. This is for road repair. They did the same thing awhile ago and are repeating this.

What happened to the gas tax funds? What happened to the road repair funds that were in place years ago in the city budget? How much money does the city get from the state on projects like this? Why do they have to do this activity level of repairs if it causes repeated attacks on people's wallets?

Seems as if the city only takes money from the people as a revenue source whenever they want to do projects. What happened to the idea of a program for attracting companies to town as a revenue generator? Company and payroll taxes should be the major revenue source, not residents pocketbooks.

At best, Middletown is at the lower end of middle class as to income. It is a relatively poor community and has been for decades. The license plates are already hovering around $60 bucks for a car and more for a truck. That is high in relation to the income levels here in town.

City leaders and council need to stop the practice of raiding the residents wallets every time they try and find money for their projects. Doubt they will as it appears they don't care about any hardships they create for people living here. The schools have the same attitude.

-------------
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.

Replies:
Posted By: buddhalite
Date Posted: Feb 14 2020 at 12:54am
They know that any kind of direct tax increase would be defeated at the ballot box - so they get it anyway they can...and bypass the voters.

Sad.

I had such hope for this new council.

-------------
"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises

Print Page | Close Window