Forum Name: Community Revitalization
Forum Description: Middletown Community Revitalization News
URL: http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6994
Printed Date: Mar 28 2024 at 3:58pm

Topic: The New Downtown Parrot Mural
Posted By: VietVet
Subject: The New Downtown Parrot Mural
Date Posted: Oct 22 2020 at 10:22am
Story in today's Journal about an artist who painted a mural honoring the old Parrot Restaurant on a building downtown.

Looking at this mural, which cost 4 grand, it reminds me of what one would see related to train car graffiti or "artwork" in East LA.

It is certainly colorful. Bright pinks, blues and reds and stands out like a sore thumb with the more subdued colors on the buildings surrounding it. It helps contribute to a "Mexican paint scheme in Tijuana". Hardly fits in with the more conservative schemes of a typical midwestern town.

It basically looks out of place to me and "cheapens" the downtown area as well. This mural would be better suited at Traders World or Jungle Jim's in Fairfield with it's "carnival" appearance. To be objected, there are murals that have been painted in Franklin and on other buildings in Middletown that have a much nicer appearance and aren't as "in your face" as to brightness. This mural should never have been approved in it's current form.   JMO

-------------
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.

Replies:
Posted By: buddhalite
Date Posted: Oct 22 2020 at 9:39pm
Careful...the commission of the artwork came from someone with an important last name...

Oh never mind - we don't care if the big parrot gets its feathers ruffled.

Wink

-------------
"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises

Print Page | Close Window