FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Canal Museum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Canal Museum
    Posted: Jun 11 2018 at 4:21pm
Son and I went to the Canal Museum last Sunday. It was open from 2-4PM. Son had last visited more than 15 years ago. I had never been there.

Observations:

Nice building structure.

The grounds around the museum are in dire need of some landscaping care, tree trimming and fence mending.

The hydraulic canal is an overgrown path of weeds, grasses, wood boards, glass and plastic bottles, concrete blocks, and other debris that makes the entryway across the bridge a little less attractive.

There are some interesting items in the museum on the history of Middletown but, for the most part, one can go through the museum in less than an hour including reviewing the items located upstairs.

Unfortunately, there just isn't enough there to warrant a return trip after seeing it one time.

We talked to the museum folks who had it open that day and they told us they just can't generate much interest in luring people to attend. We mentioned putting together a program including presentations and movies on Middletown's history, announcing it in the paper and other media outlets and having a community affair at the Seniors Center or, perhaps, outdoors at Governors Square downtown or at the Sorg Opera House. Refreshments could be served. Perhaps a number of pizza shops (the Slice or Blast Furnace Pizza downtown???)could be motivated to provide food and beverage for advertisement purposes. How about all the downtown restaurants chip in to promote their downtown area?

Sadly, they both said that they thought there just flat out wouldn't be that much interest from the community to learn about the city they were living in.

Hmmm.....does that sound familiar? Apathy......how many times have we talked about that on this forum......Sad that there is no hometown feel anymore. Sad that the old guard has either left us or has moved on. Sad that the people who were not from here have chosen to live here but are not interested in the city's history, even on a night of free treats and entertainment.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
da120757 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da120757 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2018 at 9:32pm
Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience at the Canal Museum.  Volunteers have been working to get the Museum back in Shape.  Repainting, Reorganizing, and making new displays.  There is only so much two or three volunteers can get done.  Would love to have more volunteers to help out if you are interested.  As for the trees those belong to the City and we will be working on getting the fencing replaced or at least repaired soon. 

Stop back down one Sunday.  Let me know when you do I will be there to talk to you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic