FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Career Criminals in Middletown

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
whistlersmom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whistlersmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Career Criminals in Middletown
    Posted: Jul 01 2017 at 10:34pm

From The Journal News Saturday, July 1, 2017

MIDDLETOWN

3 arrested on drug-dealing charges

Middletown police call two of the suspects career criminals.

By Lauren Pack
Staff Writer

(From left) Shondria L. Brown, Deshawn Lattimore and Joey Taylor

MIDDLETOWN — Middletown police continue to make arrests of those allegedly dealing drugs in the city.

On Thursday night, the Special Investigations Unit served a search warrant at a house in the 2000 block of Carolina Street, according to police.

Police say Taylor is a career criminal who has been arrested for numerous drug possessions and trafficking offenses, theft, forgery, burglary, abduction, failure to comply with lawful order, robbery and is currently on parole for burglary.

Also arrested Thursday night was Shondria L. Brown, who is accused of selling drugs from her white Dodge Nitro, said Lt. David Birk.

Brown, 26, at large, is charged with felony trafficking and felony possession of drugs.

Birk said the department has received numerous complaints about Brown selling from her SUV as well as a red Mazda.

Police said Brown is also a career criminal who has previously been arrested for assault, domestic violence, numerous robbery offenses and aggravated burglary.

Also as part of ongoing drug interdiction efforts, Officer Dennis Jordan and his police dog partner Koda stopped Deshawn Lattimore for a traffic violation.

Koda alerted the officer to the inside of the vehicle, which resulted in resulted in approximately eight grams of heroin being recovered in Lattimore’s possession.

Lattimore has been previously arrested for criminal trespass, carrying concealed weapons and using weapons while intoxicated.

Contact this reporter at

513-705-2841 or email

Lauren.Pack@coxinc.com.

Apprehending these three is a step forward but why have three known career criminals been freely walking the streets of Middletown? They (and their kind) are a major problem for our city, yet they have, for years, moved freely around Middletown spreading their poison. Has action been taken to re-incarcerate Taylor for parole violation (burglary)? Of course, it is easier and more profitable to send out our numerous inspectors (from overabundant revitalization bureaucracies) to harass and/or collect a court fine from an honest property owner who has peeling paint or 6 inch grass rather than keep track of known addicts, dealers and thieves. We should have fewer “inspectors” and more real police officers. This lack of priorities by city government, police and courts has been pointed out to city officials for many years, to no avail.

Adkins has convinced council that housing is the only problem in Middletown. He tells them what to think ... that if all the houses in Middletown were well kept and if anything small and over 50 years old were torn down, Middletown would automatically be wonderful! Do they really think that will hide the lack of jobs, the over abundance of section 8, the high crime, the high taxes, the lack of police protection, the terrible reputation and the low performing schools. This is why drug dealers, users and other criminals are attracted to Middletown and why we have lost almost all of our respected businesses, industries and residents.

Come on council, think about what is good for Middletown and stop being bobble-heads for Doug. Only you can stop the downward slide of our city. The real problems of Middletown are yet to be addressed, and this is and always has been your responsibility, not Adkins'.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing" Edmond Burke
buddhalite View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2017 at 12:29am
It's funny to me.

It's funny that the police can be criticized in an open forum like this for not 'keeping track' of known criminals.  The police are under such a strict structure of how they must operate to 'not violate anyone's civil rights' that there's no way they can 'keep track' of anyone without probable cause - and just because they know you previously committed a crime, isn't enough to get the proper warrants and such to act on things.

And, from the Chief's own mouths - they can arrest them, and they go to jail, they do their time - and are back on the streets doing it all over again just with a change of venue....takes time to hunt them down again - and you gotta remember the pressure from the community - our police are working under a heavy administrative burden as well as a tight budget and the constant barrage that they aren't doing enough....

I fully support our Police - and I have full respect for Chief Muterspaw and all his men and women who so faithfully serve our community. The Urinal News does its best to malign Middletown - but trust me - things are just as bad in the surrounding communities.  They just aren't willing to report it.  

Furthermore I don't believe - especially after personal and public conversations - that Mr. Adkins believes in any way that housing is our only issue.  What I gather from him is that the most readily changeable situation for both him and council is the housing market.  Most of what else ails our community is either out of our control or a much longer term solution.  I think that in his mind, cleaning up some of the blight and enforcing standards is something fully and easily within the rights of his office and administration - making it the low hanging fruit.

I can tell you that he's aware of all the challenges our community faces.  However - the budget is what it is, there's constraints he's not necessarily able to change - and frankly, we've got to understand that some things just are what they are.

Do they really think that will hide the lack of jobs, the over abundance of section 8, the high crime, the high taxes, the lack of police protection, the terrible reputation and the low performing schools.

Okay so, council and Mr. Adkins are responsible for the lack of jobs?  I'm not sure that anyone is particularly to blame for that...if any council and/or manager are responsible - surely it's not the current one(s).

We've all flogged the dead horse about how it was a previous admin that screwed up on Sec 8 - why still harping on Adkins about it?  All you can do at this point is let it ride its course and do what you can to run 'em out.

The high crime?  Well, that is, as I have stated many times - a matter of opinion.  In my neighborhood, we never see a cruiser for even a drive-by midnight peace check - it's just not necessary.  I think the former has a lot to do with the latter.

High taxes?  Try living in Louisiana for a while - then talk to me about high taxes.  I'm actually GLAD to pay the taxes I pay here vs. there - and here I get FAR more for my government dollar.  I guess that's all a matter of opinion and experience.

Lack of police protection?  I haven't seen it.  Sure, you might make the argument that we could always use MORE officers, but I can't characterize Middletown as having a 'lack' of protection.

The terrible reputation?  Hmmmmm.  You know, when I moved here in 1994 (and started working in Dayton and Cincinnati) we had a bad reputation because the city slickers thought we were a bunch of rubes in Middletown.  Everyone I met asked me out loud why on earth I'd live in Middletown!  Schools were starting to really show their failures.  The west end was really beginning its descent into obscurity and the powers that be were still personally reminiscing about how granddad used to buy them ice cream cones on Central 100 years ago.  I'm not sure that Middletown has had a great reputation in over 40 years....that will not be overcome overnight.  Personally, I think the schools are the biggest reason for the reputation problems which brings me to.......

Failing schools.  Not really in the wheelhouse of council and/or Mr. Adkins, but I'm sure he will do anything he can do to help.  I can tell you that the development and expansion of private academies in the city (as a result of the failing public school system) is the biggest reason.  A friend of mine teaches at one of those privates and you know what - less than 1% of their students fail standardized testing.....you guessed it - because these kids were the brightest spots in the public system and their parents have the means to be able to pull them out of public and into private.  When you pull that many passing students out of the pool - you can bet the average suffers.

I don't really think that council really has the power to solve all these problems.  Even if every dollar in every fund was spent on police, do you really think crime would stop?  It ain't gonna happen!  

Oh yeah - and to answer your first question....the reason that Lattimore was walking the streets (I don't have time to research all three of the apprehended people here) is that all three of his previous crimes were all MISDEMEANORS.  Sorry - if it does land him in jail - it's only for a couple months at best and with overcrowding, etc....yeah - it's sad but true.  Crime will always occur - the evil element is omnipresent in society and has since the garden of eden - and no amount of policing will ever be enough.  We do our best - but there's always going to be a junkie somewhere looking for their next high - and there will always be someone willing to sell it to them no matter what the penalties, no matter what the cost.  It's Biblical - look it up.

Anyway - thanks for reading my rant.  Have a wonderful Independence Day everyone!  Support the troops and veterans who provide(d) us the freedom to do so.

Bob
"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2017 at 4:08am
I see the city failing the schools as much or more so than I see the schools failing the city. You can only work with the students within the district who aren't going elsewhere for education. White flight and white collar moving closer to their employment are key factors. Our new super has a big task ahead--hopefully he realizes the challenge and is up for it. Teachers' union might need to face their reality and continue to improve their game also. No one is irreplaceable or necessary when you constantly rate close to the bottom.

Arrest the opiate users after reviving them. Drunk drivers don't get sobered then let go---same with pot and other drugs. Quit sympathizing the junkies. Make middietown the last place where they want to be.

Council has enough power to do a lot better, however they are part-time minimum wage volunteers. Still they have the power to steer the ship.

jmo
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2017 at 6:31pm
buddhalite:

"You know, when I moved here in 1994".......

And you see buddha, THAT is where a problem lies with all the non-understanding posters who are late arrivals here in town.............

When you moved here in 1994, you missed much of the destructive agenda from city leaders, leading to what you see now. We, who have seen it all, especially the time when the downfall of the city began, have that basis of comparison that you and the rose-colored outlook people never experienced. Your anger is not there because you never lived here during the city's brighter days. The impact of change is overwhelming for some of us and not there at all for the newcomers to town. (those who moved here after the late 70's)

The destruction started in the 70's sometime around the city decision to build the City Centre Mall downtown. At this time, as it is now, the downtown was thought to be a place for rejuvenation to the tune of 13 million to build an enclosed mall that no one ever came to. (and add 13 million more to tear is down) Now, for years, we have mega bucks spent, with a new twist, an arts theme, that most are not interested in. Wrong demographics. Wrong theme. Blue collar and culture don't mix. This is the second attempt to bring the downtown back to life since the 70's.

You must, for discussion purposes, allow for past day recall to validate and re-enforce your points. Your comment about always bringing up the past is used to paint the picture of a city that was idea to live in forty years ago and has now taken the step off the mountain of prominence and has landed in a deep ravine of despair. The city is 18 degrees from where it was fifty years ago.

POLICE:

The police are doing as well as can be expected. They, and the schools, are paying the price as a result of the types of people and families the city leaders have managed to attract here. The police are overwhelmed with the crime and the schools have nothing to work with as to the attitudes of the kids from ghetto families. The education of their children is not important to parents who are not educated. And yes, the city leaders take the responsibility for setting up a ghetto mentality for the city by inviting all the Section 8 to town to the tune of 2 and half times more than we were suppose to have here. Gilleland is the culprit with Adkins taking direction from her. Now, Adkins has seen the light, and is trying to repair the damage done, to his credit. Now that the city has been "ghettoed up", attracting every low life scumbag making the city their destination, it will take years to rid the city of the rat infestation. Previously, in overwhelming numbers, we had hard working citizens living here who were respectable, did the right things in life and tried to raise the bar around here. Now, we have government freeloading, non-working, taxpayer draining scumbags who occupy city homes constantly asking for taxpayer handouts. That is disgusting. They are disgusting human beings.It is as I see it buddha.

DRUGS/CRIME:

The laws are not tough enough on drug dealers and users. Too much kinder/gentler on the users bailing their ass== out time and time again usually at taxpayer expense. I don't want our tax money used this way. They make the choice...they pay for the repercussions of their actions. Ambulance runs, hospital stays, emergency room visits, Narcan injections, etc....THEY PAY, not us. Three strikes and they are off to mandatory rehab. If they refuse, they go to jail and if they were working, they pay. If they have a bank account, it comes out of that. If they can't pay, the next of kin, be it a wife, parent, grandparent....someone in the family pays for their stupidity. That should force the family to get the scumbag some help if they are directly responsible for their behavior in society.

Look, I have as many problems in life as any drug user but I will not choose to use and mask those problems. They are irresponsible and don't care about themselves nor the taxpayer who is constantly bailing their sorry ass-- out. Problem children who need to be dealt with in a harsh, severe manner, not kinder/gentler. It is not working.

TAXES:

Reported as the highest in Butler County (and as an extra slap in the face, the least return on those tax dollars as well) Don't care about Louisiana. Another world away for us here. You can always use the old "it's much worse someplace else" routine but we are living here and want more on our return. That is the reality of the situation buddha.

IMAGE:

See above to get the picture of the "then" and "now". We are a city to be avoided at all costs by professionals and upscale wage earners. Why buy and live in Middletown when I can have less crime, less drugs, much better schools, more upscale living versus a newly formed ghetto, and not feeling ashamed to bring friends to town by living in Mason. Springboro, West Chester, Monroe, Lebanon, or anywhere outside Middletown?

HOUSING:

Knock down all the old problem housing like Crawford St, Woodlawn, parts of Sherman Ave. Some on Sutphin St, and in Mayfield. Take selected ones out down around Oxford St Rd too. Go to Lakeside and take 'em out on Elwood and Malvern. Rid the older neighborhoods of the ones who came after the respectable former owners left or died. Clean out the druggie infestation in the city. Same way with S. Main St as you travel down to Engle's Corner. What about around Barnitz Stadium as well. Move over on Tytus and do a little housecleaning moving and over around Winona Dr and the airport area. Wherever the consistently identified problem children live should be the targets. We don't need the continued aggravation of people not getting with the program, given the multitude of other problems this city has.

Now, I await all the bleeding heart criticism explaining to me that I should learn to be more tolerant and kinder......yada yada....Hell, it is kinder and more tolerant that got us to where we are now.......and it ain't working people. Those that promote being kind to troublemakers are only played the fool by those troublemakers.....and they are laughing at you folks. Time to start teaching discipline in society to make those who are troublemakers understand that this is the way to act in our culture.

End of rant just like buddha mentioned.

I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2017 at 7:08pm
I refuse to be characterized as some Johnny-come-lately by you.

In 1994, I was proud to say I lived in Middletown.  In 2017 - I'm still proud to say it.  I know where we came from and how we got here.........BUT......

I could give a crap less what happened yesterday or 40 years ago.  

We need jobs in this town.  Until we get jobs - we will fix NOTHING.  Jobs = Community Pride, Tax Revenues, Housing Growth, and on and on and on.

Stop living in the past.  It's getting you nowhere.  And - quit being so down on our community.  Focus on the positive things happening here and shut up and get to work.

I'm doing everything I can to get businesses to come here.  We have a population that needs jobs - and badly.  I've been calling and talking to everyone I know in business (especially those I know would be very successful here in Middletown) - what are you doing besides griping about things that happened 40 years ago that you can't change?

Bob
"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises
Analytical View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2017 at 9:10pm
VietVet -

Thanks for your sincere and unlimited concern for Middletown over the decades.  Please know that your posts are always found to be genuine, non-antagonistic, non-egocentrically based, factual, etc.

I'm glad that you aren't distracted by the mind games of any blog newcomers.  MUSA participants are pretty adept at sizing up provocative commentary and distorted behavior.

Have a nice July 4th tomorrow and thank you again for your military service.  Always be reassured that your dear wife remains in our thoughts and prayers.

Sincerely,

Nelson Self
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2017 at 10:13pm
Thanks Nelson, I knew we could count on you to add discourse to the conversation that helps no one nor anything.

Have a great Fourth,
Bob
SEEKING THE TRUTH View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEEKING THE TRUTH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 04 2017 at 9:28am
I see the mean and woman of our police force personally in action everyday. It's not a easy job and instead of tearing down houses and opening up our streets to bars maybe we should be hiring more police officer's and detectives to combat a going problem. This is the image that we can build on zero tolence and strict enforcement of the laws in this city.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 04 2017 at 9:38am
buddha:

"I refuse to be characterized as some Johnny-come-lately by you."

But you are simply by the date at which you took up residency here. You are a newbie to the people that have been here since the 40's buddha. Check the last paragraph Bob......you have been characterized.

buddha:

"I could give a crap less what happened yesterday or 40 years ago."

But we care and apparently you don't need a basis for comparison in your assessments as to how bad this city has gotten. It is easy to move here after the destruction has occurred and say "let's go on from here and forget the past" but your perspective would have been a hell of alot different, and more like ours if you would have experienced the good times around here versus the downward spiral we are in now. Something you will never know no matter how smart you think you are buddha.

buddha:

"We need jobs in this town. Until we get jobs - we will fix NOTHING. Jobs = Community Pride, Tax Revenues, Housing Growth, and on and on and on."

I agree 100% and have been saying that long before you moved here.

buddha:

"Stop living in the past. It's getting you nowhere. And - quit being so down on our community. Focus on the positive things happening here and shut up and get to work."

The past is worthy of attention for it identifies past mistakes and hopefully are not repeated. If one doesn't review the past, one has no clue whether a new idea has been proposed before. Reviewing the past and finding out what works and what has failed saves alot of time in solving problems. The problem nowadays is that the younger hotshots in charge of things now think they know everything and won't listen to those who can tell them what works and what doesn't. Have seen it many times in the workplace. The arrogance and know-it-all attitude of the younger people now, and their insistence on doing it their way without checking to see if it has been done before is an insult to those who really know what is going on here. We know by experience and seeing many years of failed attempts buddha. Those in charge don't have a clue what the solutions are and are too arrogant to listen. And yes, it is getting me nowhere because the other side is not willing to listen to reason and facts but it doesn't mean that one can't continue to voice their opinions via this forum.

Oh, and the "shut up" comment. Have some class and show some respect. When you have put in your time and taken decades of bullsh*t from those in charge and from arrogant little snot nosed under 40 kids in the workplace, you will have earned the right to tell someone to shut up junior. Put in your time, take your fair share of abuse and then open the pie hole. Gotta earn the stripes to have a say on the insults to the older generation buck.

buddha:

"I'm doing everything I can to get businesses to come here. We have a population that needs jobs - and badly. I've been calling and talking to everyone I know in business (especially those I know would be very successful here in Middletown) - what are you doing besides griping about things that happened 40 years ago that you can't change?"

Yeah, you're a real dynamo Bob. The town is awaiting your greatness. You are a martyr, a legend in your own mind and a crusader. We all wait in baited anticipation for your next brilliant post here. Don't break the arm patting yourself on the back son. What am I doing? Getting ready to retire after 51 years of working in corporate America. Then I plan on really ramping up my criticism of people like you and how the city is being run. Bet you can't wait, can you Bob.

I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 04 2017 at 11:14am
WOW!

I'm at least glad that on Independence Day we are exercising one of the rights guaranteed to us by the very first constitutional amendment.

Now - Viet - does it in any way bother you that you spew all this vitriol - but no one acts on any of it?

Furthermore - right now, yeah sure - you don't see anything measurable that I have contributed to this city, but I've only been back for 2 months.  Give me some time.

I agree that we must not repeat the mistakes of the past - but continually harping on it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over......is the second most popular definition of insanity.

Frankly, I don't think that you are truly a problem-solver.  I think you'd rather live in the past, simply because it's easier.

It's easier to reminisce about who screwed who, who made the worst decision in the history of decisions, who let the dogs out etc.....than to actually do something about it.  I think that's the biggest turn off that I have on this whole message board - there's more flogging of dead horses than solutions.

Argh.  I'm tired of the scrutinizing of every little word, jot and tittle - let's get about solving the problems in our city.

And oh yeah - elections matter.  So if you don't like who's in charge - do more than just rant about it here.  Either run for office yourself - or support someone who has the values you support and actually change - instead of griping about it here.

Thanks for reading - I'm sure it will bring the usual retorts.  If it hit home - and you want help, want to help, need to get involved - let's do it.  Let me know - I'm willing to put time, effort and money into it - not just words.

Bob

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 04 2017 at 11:59am
VietVet, it goes without saying that most MUSA participants wish to offer you a "well said" in your assessment of and response to many recent irreverent/hollow Johnny-Come-Lately blog postings,

Second, in response to other antagonistic/baseless Johnny-Come-Lately blog postings, my intent of late was only to provide a listing of various community betterment initiatives that might be worthy of replication here.  Since I spent 40 plus years as a housing & community development administrator plus home builder, I try to stay abreast of program innovations and sources of supplementary funds that successfully assist municipalities in job creation, affordable housing, infrastructure and other community betterment endeavors.

I've made this effort knowing that certain senior city staff have different beliefs regarding community betterment priorities, policies, plans and programs.  I conclude by saying that there is room for a more balanced approach to moving Middletown forward.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 04 2017 at 12:06pm
And what I am saying is that you might just have some workable solutions - but we can't hear them over the cacophony of complaining about the last 50 years.

Y'all think I'm not on your side - oh, but I am.  Go back and re-read my post about the last council meeting.  Style matters - especially to the voting public.

People (who may or may not be registered on this site) are reading these discussions in large numbers - and this forum could have an effect - but I firmly believe that people are turned off by the tenor of the discussions.

If you'll follow my lead - and please quit trying to drag me down to your level (I know, it has worked some...and I regret every word) - positive change will occur, but that never happens from people who are not positive in their nature and positive in their presentation.

That's why we never get change in city hall, folks.  If you really want it - you gotta know how to present it.

I'm here and ready - but you two or three who constantly dog the crap of of me - are the only ones who aren't offering to get in the game.

Bob

Oh yeah - I didn't blatantlytell anyone to 'shut up' in that succinct form.....what I said was stop the endless yammering about the past - and start solving the future.

Bob  
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whistlersmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 04 2017 at 12:33pm

Bob

“It’s funny” to you and the city government (is that the “we” you are referring to?) … but not funny to all of us on this forum. Sounds like, after your “personal and public conversations” with Adkins, you are satisfied with just making EXCUSES for council and Adkins so that they can absolve themselves and appear blameless for our problems. Pats on the head by Mr. A can be very effective! Adkins’ two and a half years as city manager, under his 5 year plan, has left us pretty much status quo; no significant improvements (other than downtown) and an overall continued downward spiral. His years as revitalization director only reinforced the then administration’s mismanagement which he claimed as experience for obtaining the city manager position. And our city council bought that!!! Why? During his tenure as revitalization director, the city lost control of, and all revenue from Section 8!!! How could council see that as positive experience on the part of Mr Adkins or especially see it as recommendation for him to become our city manager???

It seems odd to me that you have chosen to criticize the “Urinal News” (your description) for doing it’s best to malign Middletown when, for once, they are actually publishing the news as it happens. Previous to this they have chosen to publish an abundance of “news” which was dictated to them by the city administration about how city leaders were doing their best for Middletown. Maybe The Journal is becoming less slanted!!

Our police no doubt deserve our support. But, as so often noted, the causes of their current outlandish overload (which our surrounding communities are NOT experiencing anywhere close to this extent) is the PAST AND CURRENT mismanagement of our city. Mistakes of previous administration continue to plague us because there has been no REAL change in policy or procedure. This is and always has been the responsibility of city council not the city manager!! There has been, by council, a lot of denial of responsibility and finger pointing to the past. Council was/is responsible for killing the horse (our city) that was just flogged again.. Flogging dead horses will become unnecessary as soon as council decides to adopt policy and procedure that will improve the entire city, not just the favored downtown. Why has council allowed Adkins to tear down unoccupied (so called abandoned) homes in our better neighborhoods? Many of those homes could have been rehabbed to bolster instead of ruin our housing market and tax base. Those dilapidated, unsafe eyesores in rundown, drug infested neighborhoods that you pointed out (which should have been part of the previously razed, 400 properties) are still standing.

Why should we allow council to ignore past mistakes and continue to make the same mistakes over and over. And now you suggest that the city “ride its course” … to where? our more complete ruin? THAT IS THE PROBLEM. Council needs to change course, take conscious thoughtful consideration of our current situation, compare us to cities that are successful at solving similar problems (read Analytical’s posts!) and make some positive changes. Council should be initiating solutions that will set the past negative chain of events (created by mismanagement) into reverse. Hopefully, getting an initial start on solutions will snowball to the positive (just like past poor decisions snowballed to the negative). Council, will you continue to be dictated to by Adkins? Will you take the blinders off? Will you begin to represent ALL the people? Will you reverse the policies that have ruined our neighborhoods and schools? Because our council did not appreciate them, our best business and industry moved away… and took with them the jobs which were our tax base! Residents moved away to follow their jobs, leaving behind empty housing. Since all our councils have refused to recognize and own these mistakes they will continue to repeat them ad infinitum.

Adkins has already expressed that he has taken note of “other cities with less problems” that he could be managing instead of Middletown. We are surrounded by cities that are recovered and thriving. Why aren’t we? Should we expect that Adkins will jump ship soon, before his reputation and “experience” in Middletown becomes too difficult to explain for another prospective city management position in a less problematic city? Has he been sending resumes? Will city council recommend him?!?!?!?

Also, Spider is right:

Arrest the opiate users after reviving them. Drunk drivers don't get sobered then let go---same with pot and other drugs. Quit sympathizing the junkies. Make middietown the last place where they want to be.”
Every additional arrest and prosecution should carry a stiffer penalty especially for drug dealing … then we will cease to be so inviting.
Council has enough power to do a lot better, however they are part-time minimum wage volunteers. Still they have the power to steer the ship.”
WHEN will council begin to act responsibly? The time has been ripe for years so why not start NOW? If they didn’t feel that they could afford to spend the time or had the expertise to make an honest effort to represent our people, why did they run for office??? So far they have adopted Adkins’ advice to attend the meeting, vote as directed before hand and “go home as quickly as possible.” Granted it is increasingly difficult to find qualified people who are willing to tackle our troubled and mismanaged city. And many of our demoralized citizens are numb, apathetic and disinterested after their anger and protest has for many years fallen on deaf ears in the city building. Council truly earned this!!

And lastly, the career criminal who, according to the Journal, “has been arrested for numerous drug possessions and trafficking offenses, theft, forgery, burglary, abduction, failure to comply with lawful order, robbery and is currently on parole for burglary,” … was Joey R. Taylor of Carolina Street, Middletown ….. not (as you noted) Lattimore (address unknown) who’s crimes were misdemeanors.

May we celebrate this Independence Day with renewed hope for our city! Happy Fourth!!!

PS:    To Vet, just read your post! Always thoughtful, as opposed to someone who “could give a crap less” and who mindlessly parrots Mr Adkins, while claiming to know everything (and nothing).

PPS:     Vet, just read your second post. Aaaaaamen!!! And to Buddha’s repetitive “spewing” of self important, unprofessional, inconsiderate, thoughtless, etc. comments …. our city administration has certainly inspired you!           I under estimated the effects of a good head patting. Buddha, if you are tired of scrutinizing posts on this forum ..… then stop. Some of us on this forum are presenting possible solutions to city problems … you, on the other hand have only confronted the complaints (even made some) and you have ignored the offering of solutions. You keep “yammering” over and over and over … that what you are doing is so much better …… what was that you were doing? Don’t recall any specific solutions….. I see no lead to follow here.

Perhaps his intent is not to change city hall but to agree with them?!?!?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing" Edmond Burke
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 04 2017 at 12:53pm
Look - I have to go and actually ENJOY my Indepence here shortly, so only a quick retort.

I do believe there's some validity to Nelson's ideas about the programs he so quickly touts - but there's a lacking piece.  Application to OUR city.  Things that work elsewhere - don't just automatically work here....they must be adapted to the challenges we specifically face and that's not being addressed.

As for me getting a pat on the head from Mr. Adkins - you've never heard the conversations we've had then.  Frankly, he downright belittled me, made public fun of me and demeaned me in my last conversation.  Now, you could by your standards spend thousands of words here demeaning him and trying to dredge up everything he's ever done and try to embarass him - but look - if all those things are true and council doesn't act - there's nothing I can do.  I'm not going to waste my time flogging Mr. Adkins and wasting my breath.

I've read the charter - and unless I'm missing something - the only people to whom Mr. Adkins is responsible is COUNCIL.  If they don't see all the things you see - then why cry and moan?  Quit the crying and overturn council - then vote him out yourself.

For me - the jury is still out on Mr. Adkins - I offered to help him and this city anytime day or night - in any way - with no expectations of any reward or praise or anything - he has yet to take me up on the offer.  I can't get involved in something that I currently have no right to interfere.  Should I run for an office, and win, well that's a different story.

For now, I can only espouse my opinion.   I can only give solutions (which is a larger piece I'm working on and hope to post here before the week's end) and I should also think that your personal judgment of me should be withheld until you see my plan for this city.

The only solution that has been offered here in the last couple of month's is Nelson's ideas of how to fix our housing issues.  I think that the places where those programs have been successful have unique situations that made them successful rather than the plan being necessarily successful by itself - and it needs to be fleshed out and tailored to Middletown to use it here.  I may have missed that sentiment in Nelson's posts - but that's mainly because the majority of the content he posted was copy/paste from other sources.  If we can tailor those programs in such a way that I actually believe it will work and better our community - hey, I will support it with all the power I can might.

I'm not a naysayer - just someone who believes the roadway isn't all one-issue mentality driven, it's a windy road that crosses many different paths and must be a multi-pronged solution.  

I guess at the end of the day - I am a realist.  There's a lot of tough decisions that have to be made if we are ever going to have our city be great again.....and rehashing the past does nothing towards making that happen.

Enjoy the holiday - I'm done for today.

Bob
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whistlersmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 04 2017 at 1:12pm
City council seems to have the one-issue mentality more than anyone on this forum.  Downtown sound familiar?

Keep reading and researching  ...you will find it unavoidable to read about the past.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 04 2017 at 1:54pm
Vet's "i've been here since the 1940s so I know better than you" attitude further illustrates the us versus them mentality of this board and precisely what tends to be part of the issue.  

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 04 2017 at 2:33pm
Sadly, there's a handful of self-appointed cynics who have a penchant for criticizing/demeaning well-intentioned MUSA participants that provide any fresh, cost-effective community betterment possibilities in contrast to the status quo.  And, as VietVet so aptly says, there's much to be learned from the lessons of the past in formulating dynamic solutions for the future.

By the way swohio75, please note that even Marty Kohler referred to the HUD-assisted $800,000 Maple Park housing development and public school demolition project as being a costly, time-consuming endeavor.  That statement was made at a Community Development Advisory Committee meeting at the municipal building when a mini-subdivision possibility for the former Jefferson Park school property was discussed with Rick Fishbaugh.  I doubt that any records still exist as Mr. Adkins previously noted that documents more than seven years old are routinely discarded.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 04 2017 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by swohio75 swohio75 wrote:

Vet's "i've been here since the 1940s so I know better than you" attitude further illustrates the us versus them mentality of this board and precisely what tends to be part of the issue.  

Nope. Vet's "I've been here since the 1940's so I have a basis of comparison between what it use to be and what it is now and the newby/younger people do not" is more correct. You have read into it, for your own convenience, and to create more argument the "know better than you" crap.The "us versus them" mentality you mention will continue until they start actually listening to the people instead of passifying us with an occasional public session where they again, listen and quickly forget our input because it doesn't match what they have already planned without the people being involved. It is a "their way only" mentality and has been for many years now. We have an exclusionary city government here.   

Yet another of the defender of the city participants who has misinterpreted what was said. A typical tactic of those like middiemom, Middletown 29 and now, swohio75, who conveniently twist and distort what is said here as they carry out their self-imposed duty to defend the city leadership positions and current condition of this once great city. middiemom has urged Adkins and Chief Muterspaw to leave the forum because of the so-called abuse but I noticed she is still here taking her shots occasionally. Said it once before here. If it's so bad, why aren't you taking your own advice mom? God people, stop believing all the bull from the city building. Most of it is crap that will never happen and if it does, the city will find a way to screw it up. Have in the past many times.

swohio75, you've been here a long time haven't you? Seems I have an indication that you remember some of the "old days" around here right? If so, why on earth would you take the side of the people who took your once great city down the gutter?
]
And yeah, it is a "them against us" mentality. Couldn't be anything else but that. Would be for you too if those who ruined your once nice city trashed it the last four decades. Of course we long timers will react that way. It is the newcomers who don't listen. It is the newcomers who insist it be their way without the courtesy of asking us older residents what we would like to see happen in our city. When they do ask and we tell them, they ignore us so why make the effort to communicate with them? It is the newcomers with the exclusionary attitude who are the problem here.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic