FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Behind our backs???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Behind our backs???
    Posted: May 01 2019 at 9:23am
It as been confirmed. The 10 mil overage will be going into Rosa Parks for additional space due to overcrowding. The elementaries were built just a few years ago. Hard to imagine there is overcrowding in any of them knowing the school district and city are losing population. Some nonsense about building some "study areas". Are these actually used and worth the expense or are they just gathering places for socializing?

So much for allowing the voters to decide where the excess money from the levy will go. Returning the money to the property owners was not an option school board/Mr. Superintendent?

Just hope the Middletown voters will remember this during the next levy attempt but if history repeats itself, voters will give this lousy school district anything they want. Totally blind allegiance concerning the "yes" voters part IMO. Sad to see people wasting their money on a consistent last place finisher as to performance.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2019 at 8:32am
According to a Journal story, now they want to use the extra 10 million to add more classrooms to Rosa Parks Elementary School. They claim there is overcrowding in the elementary schools and want to get the classroom size reduced. What do they want, a 10:1 ratio in each class? Ridiculous considering class sizes use to be 40 students years ago and the class environment was maintained in an orderly fashion. We just built all new elementary schools a few years ago and they are already at full capacity? Hard to believe with the discussion of a declining enrollment in the Middletown schools the last few years. Where did the extra students come from all of a sudden? Why hasn't the city population gone up if all these families have moved here? We know, with the poor school reputation, people from other districts are not sending their kids here. Again, this monetary overage, IMO, should be brought back before the voters because it was NOT in the original agreed upon plans for levy money usage. The voters have a right to decide how this excess money should be used including returning the money back to the people if decided upon. It is NOT the school people's call on this money distribution and they have no right to determine the outcome. JMO
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2019 at 11:02pm
The $10 million overage plan for using it at Central Academy first was published in a J-N article back in October, and then again on January 3rd.

My understanding from the special meeting was that any actions are being postponed for one year to allow for further review.
There are two types of people: those that talk the talk and those that walk the walk. People who walk the walk sometimes talk the talk but most times they don't talk at all, 'cause they walkin.'
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2019 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by buddhalite buddhalite wrote:

I saw the emergency meeting was called about three hours after it was over...but have not heard what happened there. Anyone have insights on the outcome?

At 7:30AM, with few, if any in attendance, the superintendent apologized to the school board for not informing them in a timely manner. He gave the "I'm sorry, it was my fault"....."I will inform you well beforehand"....."I will work on another proposal that will gain more favor from the school community" speech and the school board was appeased with the response. About it from the video played from what I saw.
buddhalite View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2019 at 4:22pm
I saw the emergency meeting was called about three hours after it was over...but have not heard what happened there. Anyone have insights on the outcome?
"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2019 at 4:21pm
The 10 mil overage was not in the plans at the time the levy was voted on. Because the school people have an excess from the levy approval of our tax money, they should approach the public with a request for disposition. I would like to see the overage returned to the taxpayer regardless of the amount dealt back to each household in Middletown. They have no right to keep this money and spend it on yet another school addition that was not in the plans before we all voted on their dam levy. The superintendent is whining about 28 kids per class. We once could do classroom instruction with 40 per class and were good at it as to results. Now, they try to make it as easy as possible with drastically reduced student numbers to teach.

It is not your money school board and Mr. Superintendent. It needs to be returned to the people. I noticed that option was never discussed at the regular school board meeting nor at the early morning emergency meeting.

You are correct Mike. The secrecy continues in this city from both the school board and the city council on certain issues. Hasn't been an open government nor open school board for decades around here. Seems we have a bad habit of electing candidates of entitlement once in office. All forget who they are suppose to be working for after being elected. Vote them all off both school board and council next time. Neither is effective in executing their duties. We deserve better as to open dialogue.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2019 at 3:58am
Well, this week seems like the School District has been learning some tricks from city council.

Not only did they bring up the plan to spend the $10,000,000 with nearly no notice to the public (instead of just saving it and lowering our taxes a tad).  But then, after they shot down that speedball plan by the superintendent, they had "an early morning, special meeting hastily called"!!!  There was way less than 24 hours notice in the electronic Journal-News, which I guess is now our newspaper of record.

Just like with city council, they seem to be adopting the "keep the public in the dark...all they have to do is pay for it" mode!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic