FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wind Damage Claims

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wind Damage Claims
    Posted: May 18 2009 at 10:48am
Anyone have their roof replaced due to the high winds last September and the more recent winds of a month or two ago? I'm having an appraiser to the house today and have contacted a roofer.I've lost about 10 to 15 shingles and have ones that are about ready to go on the next high wind. As I understand it, Gov. Strickland has declared an emergency in the state for wind damage and one has until Sept 09 to act on this. How does this all work? Will the insurance companies present a claim for payment to the state for re-imbursement after paying out the claim to the roofer? Please advise. Thanks.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2009 at 6:29am
Had the old roof redone with a tearoff and dimensional shingles put on. This was done through the "wind damage" claims from September 14,2008. The crew delivered the shingles and other materials one day and were out with 8 workers. They had the roof on in one day replacing the flashing, PERMA FROST installed, vent boxes (7), painted the chimney stack and capping and painted the water vent pipes to match the color of the vent boxes. Nice job! All this for the $500 buck deductible. Based on the service, the timing, and the quality of the job done, I would recommend JOSH TIREY ROOFING. He knows how to deal with those wind damage roof claims and seems to know the system in dealing with your insurance carrier. Just FYI.
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2009 at 9:30am
VieVet,

My neighbors on my left and right had their roofs replaced this month. Both as a result of the wind storm last fall. Both reported their insurance companies were easy to work with and that of course minus the deductible they were completely covered.

Thanks for the info on the Sep 09 cut off.
“Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.” Benjamin Franklin - More at my Words of Freedom website.
Smokey Burgess View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2009 at 9:39am
Viet Vet -

Glad to hear that you had quality work performed at your home.

On another note, it's too bad that the Community Revitalization Department has a small core group of chosen contractors doing rehab projects in Middletown.  I wonder if they ever contacted Josh Tirey?  I seriously doubt it!Thumbs%20Down

Smokey
justwatching View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justwatching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2009 at 12:05pm
I agree with most stuff you say VietVet, but not the Josh Tirey Roofing recommendation. He is worthless. I tried forever to get him to do my roof job because he seemed to know what he was doing and his price was good, but he would just never come when he said he would or call or communicate. Then I found these reviews on him, same thing:

http://www.middletownreview.com/josh-tirey-roofing-reviews-248.asp
Smokey Burgess View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2009 at 12:30pm
Viet Vet -

Sorry that I incorrectly interpeted your recent post.

NRS
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2009 at 3:44pm
Mercy! Pretty incriminating isn't it? Sorry you folks had such a bad experience with him. Really surprises me based on the good experience I had with his company. Just goes to show you how inconsistent some companies are at providing the services they promise. I had no problems with him from the time he first showed up at the door to the contract he wrote to the installation of the roof and the cleanup after the job was completed. Kind of , isn't it?
justwatching View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justwatching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2009 at 6:33pm
Always a bummer that contractors aren't consistent in their services. I think sometimes it depends on if they need them money, ya know? If they are broke then they do a great job to get paid, if they are doing alright, then they might not return calls and stuff. JMO.

That's why I always hate recommending contractors to people... sometimes makes me look like and idiot :-)
Bwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2009 at 9:36am
Originally posted by justwatching justwatching wrote:

I agree with most stuff you say VietVet, but not the Josh Tirey Roofing recommendation. He is worthless. I tried forever to get him to do my roof job because he seemed to know what he was doing and his price was good, but he would just never come when he said he would or call or communicate. Then I found these reviews on him, same thing:

http://www.middletownreview.com/josh-tirey-roofing-reviews-248.asp

Haha, I love that site. Look at the Kmart reviews.
Looking for news or information on display technology? If so Visit the Monitor Blog
Lebanonian View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lebanonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 17 2009 at 4:55pm
Do you guys know how this works for a roof that is nearing the end of its life anyway?

We had an "interesting pitch" from a door to door salesman a few days ago.

The guy had looked at our roof and noted wind damage.  We already have a contractor that we intend to use when we decide to pay for a tear off and new roof.

The existing roof is at least 15 years old. Our guy told me that the shingle damage is tolerable for now but we definitely need a new roof within the next couple of years due to normal weathering and heat. (I know 15 years is "quick" but we did not have proper attic ventilation for years, and the last owner of the house replaced the roof and the guy he hired was kind of an idiot.)

The door to door guy's "special sauce" was that one of the owners of their company was an ex-insurance adjuster and could in theory get our homeowner's insurance to pay for a complete roof tear-off and replacement. He claimed that the age and prior condition of the roof didn't matter.

I thought "scam!" because ALL insurance companies assess the condition of the item being repaired for an insurable damage.  The guy was super persistent. I told him that we did not want to continue the conversation, good day.

This is a scam, right? It sure didn't smell right to me.

I didn't get the name of the company but I glanced at the badge he wore on his shirt and I think it was a Middletown based company.

Maybe I'm wrong about the scam thing, though.
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 17 2009 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by Lebanonian Lebanonian wrote:

Do you guys know how this works for a roof that is nearing the end of its life anyway?

We had an "interesting pitch" from a door to door salesman a few days ago.

The guy had looked at our roof and noted wind damage.  We already have a contractor that we intend to use when we decide to pay for a tear off and new roof.

The existing roof is at least 15 years old. Our guy told me that the shingle damage is tolerable for now but we definitely need a new roof within the next couple of years due to normal weathering and heat. (I know 15 years is "quick" but we did not have proper attic ventilation for years, and the last owner of the house replaced the roof and the guy he hired was kind of an idiot.)

The door to door guy's "special sauce" was that one of the owners of their company was an ex-insurance adjuster and could in theory get our homeowner's insurance to pay for a complete roof tear-off and replacement. He claimed that the age and prior condition of the roof didn't matter.

I thought "scam!" because ALL insurance companies assess the condition of the item being repaired for an insurable damage.  The guy was super persistent. I told him that we did not want to continue the conversation, good day.

This is a scam, right? It sure didn't smell right to me.

I didn't get the name of the company but I glanced at the badge he wore on his shirt and I think it was a Middletown based company.

Maybe I'm wrong about the scam thing, though.

Not a scam. I guess  it comes down to how honest you are. I had more than one person remind that my clearly old roof Could have wind damage. Well, I know that it is just old. I'll replace when ever.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2010 at 12:49pm
Here are a couple of things that you can do:

1.  Move out of those high mountains in Iowa.
2.  Shop around Spencer, Iowa, for an insurance company that pays off in U. S. Dollars instead of Pounds Sterling.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
John Crist View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Crist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2010 at 11:24am
I too have suffered wind damage from Ike and all of the wind storms since then. I noticed a few shingles in my yard from the winds with Friday nights storm. I intend on calling my insurance company to see if it is too late to take any wind damage claims. Do any of you recommend a reputable roofer or should I take that advice from my insurance company?
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2010 at 12:25pm
Mr. Crist,
I've had work done by Steve Bohanan. He  certainly seems to know the business, but pricing is above average.  (He is fully licensed and insured.)
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
BrianSfinasSSI View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianSfinasSSI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2010 at 3:20pm
There's actually a really good article regarding wind damage claims in one of the issue of Adjusting Today. It's a free online magazine, so you won't need to sign up or anything to check it out, and it has a lot of useful tips and possibly a solution to the original poster's problem.

http://www.adjustersinternational.com/AdjustingToday/ATfullinfo.cfm?start=1&page_no=1&pdfID=1

-Brian
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2010 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by BrianSfinasSSI BrianSfinasSSI wrote:

There's actually a really good article regarding wind damage claims in one of the issue of Adjusting Today. It's a free online magazine, so you won't need to sign up or anything to check it out, and it has a lot of useful tips and possibly a solution to the original poster's problem.

http://www.adjustersinternational.com/AdjustingToday/ATfullinfo.cfm?start=1&page_no=1&pdfID=1

-Brian

The  new Guy's first Post is a redirect. Boot him out John.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic