FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Worst states for traffic tickets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worst states for traffic tickets
    Posted: Oct 01 2009 at 10:31pm

National Motorists Association rankings, from worst to best:

Rank State Rank State Rank State

New Jersey

Florida

Hawaii

Ohio

Pennsylvania

Arkansas

Maryland

North Carolina

Alaska

Louisiana

Alabama

Kansas

New York

Rhode Island

Mississippi

Illinois

West Virginia

Wisconsin

Delaware

New Hampshire

Utah

Virginia

Arizona

South Dakota

Washington

New Mexico

Indiana

Massachusetts

Missouri

Minnesota

Colorado

Texas

North Dakota

Oregon

Oklahoma

Kentucky

Tennessee

Nevada

Nebraska

California

Georgia

Montana

Michigan

Connecticut

Idaho

Vermont

South Carolina

Wyoming

Maine

Iowa

Middletown may elevate Ohio to #1 with our new cameras!
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2009 at 11:07pm
GO!! GO!! GO!!  Call Sammie and Ann!!!  This is another case where some leadership can help us be NO. 1!  It is within our grasp!!!  Citizen participation is vital!!!  I expect Alien to run several traffic lights (safely, of course, after a FULL stop and looking BOTH ways) TONIGHT!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 5:18am

Ohio has always had a thing for tickets. I remember when I was a kid and relatives came to Ky to visit from Ohio and every time every trip they got a ticket BEFORE they got out of Ohio. LOL

Funny thing is they never got one going back into Ohio.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 7:18am
I have never been as proud as I am now to be an Ohioan! City officials- let's show 'em who's number one! Install more cameras now! Let Middletown take the lead on this one. We may be on the top ten for the fastest dying city's but we sure don't have to take second best on the issuance of traffic tickets. Let's go!!!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 7:24am
Second Ohio City Votes to Ban Red Light Cameras
Cincinnati joins Steubenville as the second Ohio city to ban photo enforcement by referendum.

The residents of Cincinnati, Ohio made it clear Tuesday that photo enforcement is not welcome in the city. A majority of voters approved an amendment to the city charter prohibiting local officials from ever installing either red light cameras or speed cameras (
view text). Referendum co-sponsor Josh Weitzman hopes his coalition's victory inspires other cities.

"We worked long an hard to win," Weitzman told TheNewspaper. "This election is further proof that people do not want to have traffic cameras. Politicians in cities across the country need to take note of this if they plan on getting re-elected."

Cincinnati city council members had been trying for the past four years to install the devices that promised to generate between $2 million and $12 million in annual revenue. Advocates were stopped in 2005 when former Mayor Charlie Luken vetoed a camera ordinance saying, "Let's be honest with the public -- we didn't think about this until we came up with a budget problem."

The push for red light cameras resumed at the end of that year when Mayor Mark Mallory was sworn in. A diverse group of political activists from all ends of the political spectrum banded together to form the "
We Demand a Vote" coalition to stop the idea. Members include regional chapters of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), the Republican Party, the Green Party, the Libertarian Party, and others. The group received more than 10,000 signatures on a petition to put the subject of cameras on the ballot before the devices even had a chance to issue a single ticket. Political leaders quickly backed off their support of cameras after seeing public opinion on the matter.

In 2006,
three out of every four voters in Steubenville chose to kick out speed cameras after the devices had issued $600,000 in citations. Over the past twelve years, voters in Anchorage, Alaska; Peoria, Arizona and Batavia, Illinois have also banned cameras.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 8:13am
Sounds like we need petition signatures to place on the ballot to get these cameras out ot town.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 9:38am
I've yet to figure out how a camera keeps a wreck from happening.

Can't we the people come up with some way to charge our leaders in a dollar amount for something ? They are always wanting our money why can't we get some of theirs ?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 10:23am
Wouldn't be a need for these cameras if the yellow light transition was longer between red to green. Increase the yellow light timing to allow the cars to clear the intersection that approached just as the light was turning to red. I have noticed that some lights have a very short yellow light period to them. It's as if the light goes from green to red with the yellow just "blinking" before the red.

Let's petition the cameras out of the city through the ballot.
Nick_Kidd View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_Kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 10:31am
I have a question for those on this blog. Why the large amount of electronics for red light cameras? Could it be that the next thing will be speeding tickets by these same cameras? Could it be that there will be other forms of enforcement from these same cameras? Am I wrong or did the posted signs change from "traffic signals photo enforced" to "traffic laws photo enforced"? Is city government ready to spring another money making ambush on the citizens of Middletown?
Government is not the answer to problems, government is the problem.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 10:43am
Nick, I am torn on the issue of the cameras I dont mind them that much now, but when they begin using them for other things and they will it is just a matter of time. Here is a link to a story posted here a couple weeks ago. What do think about the cameras being used for this....

http://www.motorists.org/blog/ticket-cameras-may-be-used-to-enforce-text-messaging-laws/

Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 11:01am

Just one thing to say, Charter Amendment folks.  Time to say No and enough is enough.

Nick_Kidd View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_Kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 11:08am
Randy, I am against the cameras because of the abuse that goes with them. If the city wanted to stop red light runners, they should time the yellow lights at six seconds. A study that I read stated that this would stop about 80% of red light runners. The timing on the yellow lights under the old system was below state minimums, creating an entrapment, in my opinion. People also got tickets that got stopped at the lights. I believe that the only way this could happen is that the city thought that many people would pay rather than miss work to fight it. I also believe that ticketing cars instead of the driver should be illegal. The first time red light cameras were brought up at a council meeting it was under "income enhancment" not under saftey.   JMO
Nick_Kidd View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_Kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 11:29am
Randy, I also wonder how much red light cameras had to do with our image and reputation. I have talked to people in both Cincinnati and Dayton who claim that they no longer come to Middletown because of the cameras. I hear Middletown say that they should stay away if they want to run red lights. Their answer is that the yellow light timing is so short, that Middletown is just trying to steal their money. I wonder if this hurt the mall, even though I think the owners did most of the damage. When the cameras were installed, MJ soundoff was full of people stating that they would no longer shop in Middletown. Anything that hurts Middletown's image, reputation, or keeps people from coming to town, should be looked at very carefully. And before anyone asks, no I have never gotten a red light ticket. My view is about what is best for the survival of Middletown. 
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 11:44am
I agree with Pacman, it's gone on long enough and it's time the people took back their city and restore it to the best it can be. We all know whats going on in this town, why it has gone this far I don't know,I assume everyone was comfortable and chose to overlook it. But we are walking on jagged rocks with no shoes on now, time to make some changes.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 11:52am
Nick, I agree completely with you, if something hurts Middletown then it should be looked into and maybe even changed. But I dont think all red lights should be timed at six seconds. It has to do with the speed limit on the road your driving on. If you are driving up central where the speed limit is 35 do you really need six seconds to stop? If you are doing the speed limit there is no way you would need six seconds to stop. I have some more proof of this and will post it in little bit, as for now I on my way out of the office for the day. And I have a poker game tonight. Any one on here play poker and ever looking for a nice friendly game?
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 5:54pm
Randy,
I hear that a couple of police detectives are looking for a poker game!!! Wink LOL
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2009 at 9:25am
Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

Randy,
I hear that a couple of police detectives are looking for a poker game!!! Wink LOL
  ha ha ha Our is on the up and up. No house cut just a friendly game among friends.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic