FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another One Bites the Dust

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another One Bites the Dust
    Posted: Jun 24 2008 at 11:42am
Payless Shoes on Elliott Dr. Closing as of today.  Middletown is in a Crisis as far as being able to support any and I say any Retail in this city.  I would not look for any major retail developement for a long while.
.308 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2008 at 4:00pm

See the news today that the new Dell distribution facility in West Chester will be cutting out 80 jobs?

The story is the move is part of Dells Global Efforts to control costs.

Give the yet to be built outlet mall in Monroe a few years and I am sure you will see the same thing there too.

Look at the recent unemployment numbers that were printed today for Butler and Warren Counties.

And when the state numbers come out on the 18th I would not be expecting any good things then either.

It's not just Middletown that is in a crisis.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2008 at 8:36pm
Well Payless does have another store in Middletown out by Wal-Mart.

I'd hardly call a discount shoe store that targets the lower-end of the demographic scale closing a crisis. 

Blame CBL for the whole mall fiasco.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2008 at 6:59am

Swohio75 if you take the whole retail scene in to account in Middletown you have a serious problem.  When a town of 51,000+ can not even support the basics in retail you have a serious problem.  Middle Income and up residents, and I am assuming that is who we want to attract to Middletown, want at least the basic Retail establishments.  You know the book store, clothing, etc.

Dillards is leaving, it has been stated that Elder Beerman is leaving, also rumors are a flost that other major retailors are also looking to leave town.

Oh, but don't worry SWohio75, you will still have your WalMart.
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2008 at 9:54am
I think ultimately, once the east end gets built out, the mall will be bought out or improved.

I see the city trying to address the downtown and the mall. There has been involvement. I also know that Mr. Murphy is working on a plan with CBL and there will be some sort of announcement sometime. (hopefully soon)
Tazman View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2008 at 10:21am
Between the economy (in the US, not just here in Ohio or Middletown) and the internet making it more convenient for people to shop and have it delivered to your door, I think retail as a major business in this city really needs to be rethought. I haven't been to a mall for years.
I hate 'em. Now shopping on the net is convenient--stores are always open, and there are some really good deals (like no shipping costs) that make a lot of sense.

I agree CBL carries some fault for their problems, but I also think that the demographics are changing when it comes to retail and like most industries--they aren't going to recognize it until it's too late.
If Kroger's wants to stay competitive and get a jump on thier competition maybe they should allow the shopper to shop online, pay by credit card and deliver my groceries to me. Now that's customer service!   

We're in a crisis--this whole country is--it's not just here.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2008 at 10:51am

Tazman many online retailors are rethinking the FREE SHIPPING deal.  I wouldn't be surprised if they do away with it as gas prices go up.  Also many of those free shipping offers are not free.  If you read the terms of Companies such as HSN, QVC, VSD, etc. you are being charged for the return shipping it is just being taken out of your return.  VSD charges you $5.95 to return a bra which if you paid to return it would probably cost $2.00-3.00.  The average person doesn't read all of the turns for a return.

.308 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2008 at 11:05am
Good points about the internet being a part of all this.

And even if free shipping becomes less common it may still be more attractive than speding the money for a drive to a brick and mortar store.

I think in the long run the high cost of fuel will bring back a lot of our local retail business.

Being so close to Cincinnati and Dayton we have always had the inexpensive ( based on the old price of gas ) options to leave town and be someplace bigger and better in under 30 minutes.

The risinging cost of travel may kill that option for some folks which in turn will help the locals.

Ever been to a town our size in the middle of absolutely nowhere? If you have I bet you will find a thriving downtown and a relatively healthy retail sector out in the suburbs. In my opinion it's not because all these places have a City Council twice as effective as ours, it's simply because the local population has no other choice but to support local business.
Tazman View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2008 at 11:35am
Pacman--you're ordering bras off the internet? Now that was just too much information!   
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2008 at 11:44am

Hehehehe no but I deal with Returns everyday and I am amazed at what people DON'T KNOW. 

HereIam View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HereIam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2008 at 5:01pm
I remember when I was proud to shop at and recommend the Towne Mall, it is fast becoming a low end retail mall, almost like the downtown mall was before they took the roof off.  CBL took over promising so much, I am not holding my breath about any announcement.  They've made announcements before and they never materialized.  For example whatever happened to the American Eagle Outfitters coming? or What happend to their announcement that they were going to take the roof off of half the mall and make out parcels like the Dayton Mall.  Like I said, I wouldn't hold my breath.  By the way - I hate Walmart.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic