Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, March 28, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

More Red Light Cameras Needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More Red Light Cameras Needed
    Posted: Dec 06 2012 at 8:31am
I know this is not popular with most people on here, but I feel it is greatly needed. Middletown needs to have more Red Light Cameras installed at the intersections of Ohio 122 and Dixie, and Ohio 122 and Towne Blvd. And all along Towne Blvd from Ohio 122 south to the Wal-Mart.  And at the I-75 & 122 Interchange. I cannot count how many cars, and semi-trucks that I see that keep making right turns on red at those intersections, and the countless amount of people just blow past an obvious red light. 

Now if the money from those cameras could to straight to the Street Maintenance fund, we might actually have decent roads. Smile But I know that is wishful thinking.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2012 at 11:58am
Years ago we used to be able to turn right on red at 122 and Towne Blvd. Then they 'improved' the intersection and we no longer could turn right on red. In 80's we had federal grant money to put up 'right turn on red'sighs to save gas during the gas crisis.Does any one remember that? All the turn right on red sighs have disappeared.They seemed to be save when we had grant money but not any more!!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2012 at 3:39pm
"I know this is not popular with most people on here"

"I feel it is greatly needed. Middletown needs to have more Red Light Cameras installed at the intersections of Ohio 122 and Dixie, and Ohio 122 and Towne Blvd. And all along Towne Blvd from Ohio 122 south to the Wal-Mart. And at the I-75 & 122 Interchange"

DON'T THINK THEY CONCENTRATE THE CAMERA LOCATIONS TO THIS EXTREME. I BELIEVE THEY HAVE TOLD US THAT THE POLICE TAKE THE HIGHEST ACCIDENT INCIDENT RATES (OR WHERE THE MOST FINE MONEY IS TO BE MADE) TO DETERMINE CAMERA LOCATION. APPARENTLY, THERE HASN'T BEEN ENOUGH ACTIVITY AT THE LOCATIONS YOU HAVE SUGGESTED.

"Now if the money from those cameras could to straight to the Street Maintenance fund, we might actually have decent roads"

"But I know that is wishful thinking"

INDEED. I BELIEVE THE CITY'S SHARE OF THE RED LIGHT REVENUE IS AROUND 30%. THE COMPANY KEEPS MOST OF THE FINE MONEY. NOT EVEN CLOSE TO HELPING PAY FOR FIXING AS MANY POOR STREETS AS THIS TOWN HAS. OUR PERCEPTIVE CITY LEADERS, PAST AND CURRENT, HAVE LET THE ROADS GET TO THE POINT WHERE IT WILL TAKE DECADES TO FIX THEM.....EVEN IF THEY STARTED PLOWING MILLIONS INTO THEM NOW. WON'T HAPPEN. OTHER PRIORITIES. WE'VE GOT A DOWNTOWN TO GROW, A S. MAIN ST. DISTRICT THAT NEEDS ATTENTION, BUILDINGS TO BUY AND SPECIAL PROJECTS FOR THE FRIENDS OF CITY HALL.....AND THAT AND PAYING THE UNION SCALE WAGES AND BENNIES FOR THE CITY WORKERS TAKES MOST OF THE BUDGET MONEY. NONE LEFT FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE MAJORITY WHO LIVE HERE.

I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2012 at 9:59am
Well.....another article from the Journal on red lights...

Speed, red-light camera fill city coffers
Officials say they have help improve safety on the roads.

Middletown’s 14 red-light cameras — located at eight “high accident” intersections in the city — generated $186,580 for the city’s general fund in 2012.

Middletown, who also contracts with Redflex, issued 5,033 red light camera citations between Jan. 1 through Dec. 8. This is up from the 4,620 red light camera citations issued in 2011. The red-light camera program started in 2005 and has been very controversial.
The city receives 55 percent of the $100 fine if there are fewer than 150 paid citations per intersection in a month. That is increased to 70 percent if the number of paid citations per intersection exceeds 150 a month.
However, the city has seen a jump in revenues generated in 2012 over 2011. From Jan. 1 through Nov. 30, 2012, the city has generated $186,580, which is already up from the $164,031 for all of 2011.
When the program began in 2005, the city generated $133,000 in revenues from the cameras. However, that decreased over the next two years. The city saw its fewest revenues in 2008 and 2009 when it changed camera vendors. In 2008, $55,800 was generated and in 2009, only $51,912 was generated for the city. However, in 2010 revenues nearly quadrupled as the cameras generated $201,636, but dropped again to 2011.
Over the eight years of Middletown’s program, the red light cameras have issued 32,214 citations that has generated more than $1.04 million for the city’s General Fund and over time, the number of citations have decreased as motorists learn to slow down at these intersections. Police have also moved cameras to other locations as crashes have decreased in previous intersections. In addition, police believe there has been a “ripple-effect” as officer-initiated citations have also seen a decrease from 2010 to 2011.
In the past two years, the number of citations issued at the eight monitored intersections has dropped by 750.
In 2010, the cameras recorded an average of 448 red-light violations a month at all intersections. The monthly average dropped to 385 in 2011.
Earlier this year, Middletown police Maj. Mark Hoffman said the program had been “effective.”
He also said police have also learned why some intersections have more crashes than others. Some of the contributing factors include older, smaller traffic signals, traffic signal poles not be as visible as others and trees blocking traffic signals. When those issues are addressed, police said, the number of crashes went down, allowing the city to remove the cameras from certain locations.
Hoffman said camera placements are evaluated by police every three to four years. Police officials can determine based on statistical data if cameras should remain, move to another location or just be removed.

NOW, WHAT'S INTERESTING IS THAT THE MAJORITY OF THIS ARTICLE IS ABOUT REVENUE WITH A SPATTERING OF SAFETY TALK. ACCORDING TO THE CITY AND THE COPS, IT WAS ALWAYS ABOUT SAFETY WITH REVENUE TAKING A BACK SEAT. DOESN'T LOOK LIKE IT TO ME IN THIS ARTICLE. I THINK THE CITY AND THE COPS ARE GIVING A AS THEY TELL US IT'S ABOUT SAFETY. TOO MUCH AUTHORITY IN OUR PRIVATE LIVES WITH THIS PROGRAM. IMO. TIME FOR THEM TO LESSEN THE INTRUSION AND BACK OFF.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2013 at 9:27pm
From MJ:
Court rules against traffic cameras; Ohio considering ban
By Jackie Borchardt

Staff Writer

COLUMBUS —

The days of red light and speed cameras at Ohio intersections could be numbered.

A Hamilton County Court judge ruled Thursday that a traffic camera ordinance in a small village near Cincinnati is invalid and unenforceable. Lawmakers are also proposing a state law banning all traffic cameras in Ohio.

Only 2,188 people live in Elmwood Place, according to the 2010 census, but cameras have caught more than 20,000 drivers speeding through town since cameras were installed in September 2012. Civil citations issued for the violations have generated about $1.5 million, according to Police Chief William Peskin. Peskin said the village has kept about $900,000, with the rest going to Maryland-based Optotraffic.

In his decision, Judge Robert Ruehlman noted the lack of signage to warn motorists and that cameras are calibrated only once per year by the for-profit camera operator.

“Elmwood Place is engaged in nothing more than a high-tech game of 3-card Monty,” Ruehlman wrote. “It is a scam that motorists can’t win.”

There’s no state law on the books allowing or prohibiting cameras that detect speeding and red-light violations.

Bipartisan legislation has been introduced to prohibit the traffic cameras in Ohio. Bill sponsor Rep. Ron Maag, R-Lebanon, said sending millions out of Ohio has been a poor business decision and that money would be better spent on law enforcement and public safety.

“For $800,000, you could have two or three officers sitting there, who could protect people from all other mayhem,” Maag said.

The Ohio Supreme Court ruled in 2008 in favor of allowing the cameras, arguing the cameras operated as an extension of local law enforcement. But the court did not address the method of ticketing vehicle owners instead of drivers. Citations are not reported against a motorist’s driving privileges or insurance.

“To me it’s un-American — you are guilty until proven innocent vs. innocent until proven guilty,” Maag said.

Dayton collected about $2.4 million from camera citations in 2012. Dayton keeps about $55 of the $85 civil citation and sends the rest to Phoenix-based RedFlex Traffic Systems. RedFlex also operates cameras in Hamilton, Middletown, Springfield, Trotwood and West Carrollton.

Springfield issued 6,638 citations in 2012 and generated $287,784 from paid tickets. Hamilton uses speed cameras mounted on an SUV and 20,782 citations were issued between March 31, 2010 and Jan. 31, 2013, generating $958,636. In the small Butler County community of New Miami, police have given more than 9,700 violations since installing two mobile speed cameras in the village Oct. 1 and collected more than $210,000.

Middletown’s 14 red-light cameras — located at eight “high accident” intersections in the city — generated $186,580 for the city’s general fund in 2012.

A 2011 study conducted by Dayton city officials showed the number of traffic accidents dropped by a combined 23 percent compared to the year before each intersection received its camera.

“It’s not pleasant but that’s how behaviors change,” Dayton Police Chief Richard Biehl said. “People have said since they got them, they’ve slowed down and that’s the point.”

Biehl said the number of officers has declined nearly 20 percent since 2007 and cameras are one way to increase effectiveness of a smaller force.

“To not utilize this technology, particularly in this era of significant decline of sworn police officers, means we’re going to need to respond to more auto accidents that take our time away from more critical public safety duties.”

Maag said cameras contribute to more accidents than they prevent because drivers slam on the brakes to avoid citations, citing research collected by the National Motorists Association. The Wisconsin-based nonprofit, which also opposes seat belt laws, boasts a study claiming insurance companies support cameras because they cause crashes and, in turn, enable them to charge higher insurance premiums.

Springfield Police Sgt. Brett Bauer said the number of rear-end accidents might increase, but the cameras reduce the number of injury-producing accidents.

Staff writer Ed Richter contributed to this report.

Ohio communities with traffic cameras

Akron: Speed

Ashtabula: Red light, speed

Cleveland: Red light, speed

Columbus: Red light, speed

Dayton: Red light, speed

East: Cleveland Red light, speed

Elmwood Place: Speed

Hamilton: Speed

Middletown: Red light

New Miami: Speed

Northwood: Red light, speed

Parma: Speed

Springfield: Red light

Toledo: Red light, speed

Trotwood: Red light, speed

West Carrollton: Red light, speed

Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety

States that have banned speed cameras

Arkansas*, Maine*, Mississippi*, Montana*, Nevada*, New Hampshire*, New Jersey, South Carolina*, Texas, Utah, West Virginia*, Wisconsin*

*also prohibits red light cameras

Source: Governors Highway Safety Association

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2013 at 9:54pm
Don't look for the red light camersa to go away,  Signage around Middletown indicates that SPEED cameras are coming here.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2013 at 1:16am
What happens if a person waits until after the camera takes the picture and then runs the red light(s)?  
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2013 at 5:11am
Originally posted by rngrmed rngrmed wrote:

What happens if a person waits until after the camera takes the picture and then runs the red light(s)?  
If a vehicle waits behind the line, the camera will NOT take a picture...unless the vehicle then (after waiting) runs the red light.  It will then take the picture showing the red light, the time, and the vehicle in the intersection.  (This is an over-simplification, but I hope that you get the "picture"!!!)
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2013 at 5:27am
Could you imagine the revenue if a red light camera was put in at 122 & Towne Blvd and 122 & Dixie. That alone would pay for new roads Wink
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2013 at 6:04am
From MJ:
Court rules against traffic cameras; Ohio considering ban
By Jackie Borchardt
Staff Writer

COLUMBUS —

The days of red light and speed cameras at Ohio intersections could be numbered.

A Hamilton County Court judge ruled Thursday that a traffic camera ordinance in a small village near Cincinnati is invalid and unenforceable. Lawmakers are also proposing a state law banning all traffic cameras in Ohio.

Only 2,188 people live in Elmwood Place

HEARD THIS STORY ON WLW COMING INTO WORK THIS MORNING. THINK WE CAN GET THE HIGH PROFILE ATTORNEY TO GO AFTER THE MIDDLETOWN SYSTEM? NEED THIS JUDGE TOO. THE STORY WENT ON TO SAY THAT IT WILL PROBABLY BE APPEALED AND GO TO THE OHIO SUPREME COURT IN THE END. BE INTERESTING HOW THIS PROGRESSES. IN THE MEANTIME, NEED TO HANG SOME BAGS OVER THE LENSES OF THE MIDDLETOWN CAMERAS LIKE THEY DID A FEW YEARS AGO OUT IN ARIZONA. TO HELL WITH BIG BROTHER WITH THEIR NOSES IN EVERYONE'S LIFE.
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2013 at 6:30am
There are lots of problems with red light cameras that infringe on personal rights and responsibilities. I was bringing my wife home from an emergency trip to the hospital. The hospital treated her and told us that there was so much flu and pneumonia that she should be taken home immediately, she was too frail and it would be too dangerous to keep her there.I stopped at the light that was one street away from my home. My wife became very sick and was throwing up in the front seat. We had our seat belts on and I was having a terrible time trying to help her. I looked at the situation and determined it would be safe for me to drive through the red light and get my wife home as quickly as possible. I did so and had her in the driveway in less than two minutes.

Of course, the camera took the picture and they charged me a hundred dollars. With all of the problems we were dealing with I held the bill for about seventeen days. I answered the summons and told them that it was a medical emergency and I did the right thing under the circumstances and I would do it again under the same circumstances. They added another $25 in penalties and refused to give me a hearing because I didn't respond within fifteen days.

I then called the City Attorney, Les Landen and said there needs to be an exception written into the ordinance for medical emergencies. He said he would talk to the chief of Police about it and get back to me. He did. The answer was, the Chief would make no exceptions and they won't write any medical emergency allowances in the resolution because it would cause everyone to lie and claim they had a medical emergency when they really didn't have one. Such, is our city officials attitudes and such is our city law.

Comment:  Man is not made for the law. Law is made for man. (Except in Middletown.)

Paul Nagy
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2013 at 6:53am
Mr. Nagy:

You were a victim of circumstances.

Had this occured at the corner of Central and Broad near one of the fake gas lamp posts, and if your wife would've thrown up on the HOOD of your car instead of inside...it might've been covered under Pendelton's "Certificate of Appropriateness" as historic art.  Then, not only would it have been legal...if it had occured on a first Friday evening, you likely could've sold it for a small wad of dough.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2013 at 10:18am
And there you have it......the Chief could have listened to your story, put himself in your place, demonstrated some compassion given the situation and the issue could have been resolved in quick order by rescinding the ticket, since you took your time and made an effort to explain. Instead, we get a hard line city official who chose to take the low road and hard a-- a citizen. Guess having anything to say of a positive nature concerning city officials is totally out of the question, as I have often thought. Wonder if the Chief would have had a different answer if it had been a council person's wife or another city leader's wife in the same situation? Think it would have been swept under the rug? You betcha. You just happen to be outside the loop of influence Mr. Nagy, as we all are.
Chris Fiora View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Fiora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2013 at 10:59am
The biggest issus I have with the red light cameras in Middletown is that they've shortened the yellow lights to try and catch more people.  The yellow light should be long enough to comfortably stop without having to jam on the brakes.  This is not the case in Middletown.
Wots View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2013 at 11:39am
3 more Redflex execs out as fallout continues for city's red light camera firm

March 02, 2013|By David Kidwell, Chicago Tribune reporter
The president, chief financial officer and top lawyer for Chicago's red light camera company resigned this week amid an escalating corruption scandal that has cost Redflex Traffic Systems Inc. its lucrative, decadelong relationship with the city.
The resignations came as Redflex said it was winding down a company-funded probe into allegations of an improper relationship between the company and the former city transportation manager who oversaw its contract until 2011, a relationship first disclosed by the Tribune in October. A longtime friend of that city manager was hired by Redflex for a high-paid consulting deal.
The company recently acknowledged it improperly paid for thousands of dollars in trips for the former city official, the latest in a series of controversial revelations that have shaken Redflex from its Phoenix headquarters to Australia, the home of parent company Redflex Holdings Ltd.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel's administration banned the company from competing for the upcoming speed camera contract and went further last month by announcing that Redflex would lose its red light contract when it expires in June. The Chicago program, with more than 380 cameras, has been the company's largest in North America and is worth about 13 percent of worldwide revenue for Redflex Holdings. Since 2003 it has generated about $100 million for Redflex and more than $300 million in ticket revenue for the city.
In an email addressed to all company employees, Redflex Holdings CEO and President Robert T. DeVincenzi announced the resignations of three top executives in Phoenix: Karen Finley, the company's longtime president and chief executive officer; Andrejs Bunkse, the general counsel; and Sean Nolen, the chief financial officer. Their exits follow those of the chairman of the board of Redflex Holdings, another Australian board member and the company's top sales executive who Redflex has blamed for much of its Chicago problems.
"Today's announcement of executive changes follows the conclusion of our investigation in Chicago and marks the dividing line between the past and where this company is headed," said DeVincenzi, who took over as CEO of the Phoenix company. "This day, and each day going forward, we intend to be a constructive force in our industry, promoting high ethical standards and serving the public interest."
The company also held town hall meetings in Arizona to unveil reforms, including new requirements to put all company employees through anti-bribery and anti-corruption training, hiring a new director of compliance to ensure that employees adhere to company policies and establishing a 24-hour whistle-blower hotline.
The resignations and a second consecutive halt to public trading of the company's stock are the latest in a string of events that followed Tribune reports last year regarding 2-year-old internal allegations of corruption in the Chicago contract that the company previously said were investigated and discounted.
The scandal now enveloping the company centers on its relationship to former Chicago transportation official John Bills, who retired in 2011 after overseeing the company's contract since it began in 2003.
A whistle-blower letter obtained by the Tribune said Bills received lavish vacations directly on the expense report of a company executive and raised questions about improper ties between Bills and a Redflex consultant who received more than $570,000 in company commissions.
Bills and the consultant, a longtime friend, have denied wrongdoing.
The company told the Tribune in October that its investigation into the 2010 letter found only one instance of an inadvertent expenditure for Bills, a two-day hotel stay at the Arizona Biltmore expensed by the executive. Redflex lawyer Bunkse told the newspaper that the company responded by sending the executive to "anti-bribery" training and overhauling company expense procedures.
But after additional Tribune reports, the company hired a former Chicago inspector general, David Hoffman, to conduct another investigation. Hoffman made an interim report of his findings to company board members this month. That report prompted the company officials to acknowledge a much deeper involvement with Bills, including thousands of dollars for trips to the Super Bowl and White Sox spring training over many years.
The chairman of the company's Australian board of directors resigned, trading on company stock was temporarily suspended and the company acknowledged that it is sharing information with law enforcement.
Trading was halted again this week pending more details about the company's latest actions.

Wots
Liberalism: Moochers Electing Looters to Steal from Producers.
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2013 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by Chris Fiora Chris Fiora wrote:

The biggest issus I have with the red light cameras in Middletown is that they've shortened the yellow lights to try and catch more people.  The yellow light should be long enough to comfortably stop without having to jam on the brakes.  This is not the case in Middletown.

Mr. Fiora,
From where did you receive this information?  Middletown has not "shortened the yellow lights to try and catch more people."  I'm disappointed that an elected member of the Middletown BOE would perpetuate this idea.  

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2013 at 6:02am
Originally posted by Marianne Marianne wrote:

Mr. Fiora,
From where did you receive this information?  Middletown has not "shortened the yellow lights to try and catch more people."  I'm disappointed that an elected member of the Middletown BOE would perpetuate this idea.  

Marianne.....might be true that the city hasn't shortened the yellow light sequence as you state. You would know as you are on the Citizen Advisory Board to the Police. However, if this is not the case, the yellow light timing should be looked into as some yellow light intervals are extemely short. Example? Watch the timing on the light at Marshall and Central by Cincinnati Eye Institute. The yellow light is very short in nature and allows very little time to clear the intersection before the light turns red. Some lights on major thoroughfares like Breile are short on the yellow light step also. Hard to stop the car at 45 with the quick lights. IMO, ALL traffic lights need to be re-examined for yellow light timing and made longer if similar to Central and Marshall. No proof, but it almost appears that this is done on purpose as a revenue enhancer for the city, especially if teamed up with those dam cameras. Let's put the city engineer's office to work changing the light timing to a more reasonable rate. Might even prevent an accident or two by giving drivers more time to clear an intersection before the other direction starts the NASCAR start sequence.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2013 at 8:31am
Actually, a few timers(associated with the cameras)  WERE shortened early on in the process.
I'm surprised that Marianne didn't know or remember this from the Advisory Board meetings.
It was discussed, admitted a a "mistake", and supposedly changed back.
Heard it from the chief(Becker?) myself
Chris Fiora View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Fiora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2013 at 11:45am
Marianne,
You are right that I should not have made the assumption that I did.  I do not know if the yellow lights were shortened or not.  However, from the other posts it appears that my assumption may be correct.  What I do know is that when you're going the speed limit, there is not enough time to comfortably stop without jamming on the brakes.  This is not the case in the other communities that I travel through.  I have been meaning to time some of the yellow lights and do the math to see if they are long enough but I have not done that yet.  I agree with Vet that the engineer needs to examine the length of the yellow lights as short yellows are a hazard.
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2013 at 2:57pm
Well if the red light camera's go away like it might due to legislation in the State House. I just hope there is increase patrol at Ohio 122 from Dixie Highway to I-75. There is just too many people running the red lights, or turning on red, when they are not suppose too.
TANGO View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TANGO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2013 at 2:02pm
Lets face the facts that the biggest thing that the cameras are good for is money for the city. If it was not for the money than their would be no cameras FACT.  Its just an other way the city and states can get more money for more control because they know  whats best for you.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2013 at 4:26pm
Another red light camera story from the Journal......

Cameras used for more than red-light violations, police say
The controversial cameras are also used to help solve crimes.

When the motorist receives the citation in the mail, they can either pay the $100 fine, which increases $25 if not paid within 30 days; or argue against the ticket in Middletown Municipal Court.
Hoffman said the City of Middletown receives 55 percent of every paid red-light camera violation, and the other 45 percent goes to RedFlex, a major player in the traffic-camera industry that also operates the cameras in Hamilton.

HOFFMAN REFERENCES MONEY THE CITY RECEIVES FROM THE FINES.

If the 15,381 violations since 2010 were paid, the city received $845,955 for its general fund in those three years, while RedFlex received $692,145. The city also receives 100 percent of any late fees, Hoffman said.

HOFFMAN REFERENCE MONEY MADE BY THE CITY AGAIN. THEN SAYS......

The goal of the cameras is to increase overall safety, not generate money for the city, Hoffman said.

NOW, WE HAVE A NEW JUSTIFICATION FOR CAMERAS FROM HOFFMAN......

The effectiveness of red light cameras can’t be judged solely on the number of accidents at the intersection, he said. For instance, police are capable of using the video footage of an intersection to search for a possible suspect. When Barbara Howe, of Monroe, was found in the back of her trunk in a Middletown apartment parking lot, police reviewed the footage at local intersection to look for potential suspects.

TRACKING DOWN A SINGLE SUSPECT CAR, ON ONE OF 12 CAMERAS LOCATED ON ROUTES THE SUSPECTED CAR MAY/MAY NOT HAVE TAKEN. WHAT ARE THE ODDS THAT A PARTICULAR CAR WOULD BE SEEN, AT A PARTICULAR TIME, ON A PARTICULAR DATE, AT A PARTICULAR LOCATION, AROUND THE HOWE DISAPPEARENCE DATE?

A Hamilton County Court judge ruled recently that a traffic camera ordinance in a small village near Cincinnati is invalid and unenforceable. Lawmakers are also proposing a state law banning all traffic cameras in Ohio.

NOW, WE ARE ON THE RIGHT TRACK. IF IT IS UNENFORCEABLE IN CINCY, IT SHOULD BE UNENFORCEABLE IN MIDDLETOWN MAJOR. IT IS BIG BROTHER AS AN UNWANTED PASSENGER IN YOUR CAR. IT IS GOVERNMENT INTRUSION IN YOUR LIFE. JMO
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2013 at 10:47pm
The goal of the cameras is to increase overall safety, not generate money for the city, Hoffman said.
If someone cares to do some extensive research, they could go back prior to Jan, 2011 (this is when I went blind) and view the workshop meetings held upstairs at city hall (before council meetings) and you will find that Ms Gilliland stated is words to this effect that they could add more red light cameras to increase revenues into the general fund.  

You may also search this blog and be able to find it in here when I posted it at the time it occurred.
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2013 at 9:07am
I do have a question. When going north on Dixie Hwy. at Ohio 122. Is it legal to turn right if the light is red? I counted at least 10 vehicles run the red light.  The only reason I ask this is ODOT or the city setup a special traffic light for the people in the right turn lane. I know with Austin Blvd. and 741 it is illegal to turn right on red, I just wasn't sure if the same applied to this intersection.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2013 at 10:08am
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Originally posted by Marianne Marianne wrote:

Mr. Fiora,

Marianne.....might be true that the city hasn't shortened the yellow light sequence as you state. You would know as you are on the Citizen Advisory Board to the Police. However, if this is not the case, the yellow light timing should be looked into as some yellow light intervals are extemely short. Example? Watch the timing on the light at Marshall and Central by Cincinnati Eye Institute. The yellow light is very short in nature and allows very little time to clear the intersection before the light turns red. Some lights on major thoroughfares like Breile are short on the yellow light step also. Hard to stop the car at 45 with the quick lights. IMO, ALL traffic lights need to be re-examined for yellow light timing and made longer if similar to Central and Marshall. No proof, but it almost appears that this is done on purpose as a revenue enhancer for the city, especially if teamed up with those dam cameras. Let's put the city engineer's office to work changing the light timing to a more reasonable rate. Might even prevent an accident or two by giving drivers more time to clear an intersection before the other direction starts the NASCAR start sequence.

From the ORC:
4511.094 Signs required for photo-monitoring devices.
(C) A local authority that uses traffic law photo-monitoring devices to enforce any traffic law at an intersection where traffic is controlled by traffic control signals that exhibit different colored lights or colored lighted arrows shall time the operation of the yellow lights and yellow arrows of those traffic control signals so that the steady yellow indication exceeds by one second the minimum duration for yellow indicators at similar intersections as established by the provisions of the manual adopted by the department of transportation under section 4511.09 of the Revised Code.

Is this really happening?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic