FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ice Ice Smoothie hopes to build on ‘decent’ st

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ice Ice Smoothie hopes to build on ‘decent’ st
    Posted: Aug 26 2013 at 8:53am

Ice Ice Smoothie hopes to build on ‘decent’ start

By Rick McCrabb

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN —

John Hanna owns a Fairfield restaurant, has been in the food industry for 14 years and has opened nine restaurants, mostly in his home state of New Jersey.

So when Hanna, 41, heard that California-based investors, SA Mary Ohio LLC, had purchased the Towne Mall in Middletown and planned extensive remodeling and expansions, he wanted to be part of the rebirth of the what once was called “a dead mall.”

“We are excited,” Hanna said Friday afternoon. “We think the mall can be very successful.”

Hanna, who owns Kalamatas Greek Grill in the Voice of America shopping center, said he felt Middletown, especially in the East End, could support Ice Ice Smoothie, which is located just inside the mall entrance, next to All About You Catering. It’s not exactly as “food court,” but it’s growing.

Ice Ice Smoothie has been open for about one month, and through “word of mouth,” business has increased every day, he said. He described business as “decent” and he hopes to advertise once the business becomes “more structured.”

Much of the business, so far, he said, has been from repeat customers. He said for the business to strive, it must attract customers from outside the Towne Mall, at least until mall foot traffic improves.

Ice Ice Smoothie is managed by L.J. Brunner, who formerly managed a national smoothie chain in West Chester.

“I have all the confidence in him,” Hanna said.

Hanna said Ice Ice features only natural ingredients and no syrup. That, he said, can be the difference in being successful.

“It’s all about the product,” he said. “You have to make it worthwhile.”

One of the most popular smoothies is called Elvis Special and it’s made of peanut butter, chocolate and bananas. Besides the smoothies, the business offers hot dogs, walking nachos, soft pretzels and nachos.

Trisha Hale, general manger of the mall, said Ice Ice Smoothie is another reason to draw shoppers to the center. She called the food business “very unique” and said she was “thrilled” to have them join the mall.

What: Ice Ice Smoothie

Where: Towne Mall, Middletown

Hours: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday; noon to 5 p.m. Sunday

Owner: John Hanna

Manager: L.J. Benner

Employees: 6

I wish them success, but they need to improve the quality of the ice cream they serve, it was more ice than cream. I spent most of the time waiting for my ice cream headache's to fade, due to how cold my ice cream rather was than enjoying it.

Also I was kinda disturbed by the flies flying around me as I was waiting to be served, but I don't know if that is Ice, Ice Smoothies fault or people letting the flies in when opening the doors at the Mall's.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic