Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, March 28, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Goodbye Target in Middletown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 8:07am
Excellent analysis Mike P.

While I agree completely regarding apathy, I have spoken to many people regarding voting. If I may summarize the feedback I have received, it is:

1) Generally, its the same people running, or the same mindset. The lack of diversification (ergo choices) has been a problem for years.

2) Retaliation. Middletown has been known for years as a city that has individuals in city hall that yield "payback" power. Intimidation has led to the appearance of apathy, when indeed, its not apathy, but outright fear. This is a small sampling over years I have gotten. And finally, with MMF, they created a system that rather stacks the decks. When a few council members can rain make 50 K from a few businesses, it makes for a rather uneven playing field.

This leads to an outcome of the same people making the same mistakes....often. 
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 8:58am
I have heard rumor that the Middletown Target store was severely fined for putting out, and selling video games before there release date. But that still needs to be verified.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 9:51am
How far apart are Austin Pike exchange and Rt.725 (Dayton Mall) exit? Just asking.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 10:09am
ktf, I cannot state with any certainty Target may or may not have sold items early, but I can state Target runs their inventory turns well. It would not be consistent with Target's practices to have any store receive an item weeks premature (that's inventory sitting that negatively impacts their inventory turn), which also would be sold prematurely. So, I doubt firstly, Target Middletown got product early; secondly, I doubt it would be sold early, as the sku would be flagged and caught in their database upload at corporate in Mn immediately, and the store would be smacked.
When that store was built, Target partnered with also Mn based Kohl's to share building/ construction cost. They have left that construction model and now opt for a model like Kroger, where they build many stores around them, which they rent, which absorbs the capitial expense for their building, such as West Chester, where they own the strip.
Middletown closing was solely based upon p/l; nothing more, nothing less, and a small store that doesn't fit their current mega store foot print model.  
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 10:29am
I would not be surprised if they open a new Target off SR. 73, SR 741, or Austin Blvd in Springboro. 
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 10:40am
Agreed. These retailers the size of Kohl's, Target, Costco, others, study for years, traffic trends, population, and usually find a pt of intersection at major highways (Costco is magnificent ) at this and then they buy property many times 10 years before a store is even built. As I indicated in a previous post, they also know even though you may live in an area by matching your billing zip code on a credit card, they cross match that with the stores you frequent (live in Middletown but shop in West Chester Target, Costco, Springdale, etc), and can predict if it is worthwhile to continue operations against p/l. This decision was made after years of analysis, not a gut decision or reaction to credit card theft. In fact, as a shareholder, it makes perfect sense. 
processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 11:29am
Acclaro. I agree with your points except Kohl's is Milwaukee based not MN.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 12:04pm
Thanks processor.

Before the Kohl's KPO I recall in 1995, the senior management bought Main Street stores, which had a large foot print in Chicagoland, St Paul/ Minne, and parts of Michigan. My reference should have been stated, "Great Lake" affinity, as Kohl's and Target have for years, had Sr management swaps, and both have had a large Mn presence. Of course, there is a kindred spirit and long-term partnership with Kohl's and Target associated with geographics. I believe Best Buy is head-quartered in Minneapolis, but this is from memory.     

Speaking of retail, Costco and its Kirkland brand, is bought from the world's top brands and is made exclusively for Costco at standards which exceed that brand. They sell Greygoose vodka that is actually aged 1-2 years longer than GG "cures" it.

Between Costco, Sam's, Kroger's, Walmart, and the massive retailers, the competition is so fierce, on occasion, they have to prune. For Middletown and Trotwood, it was time to prune.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by over the hill over the hill wrote:

How far apart are Austin Pike exchange and Rt.725 (Dayton Mall) exit? Just asking.

Going I-75 northbound-----Austin Blvd.----just after Austin is 675 north and the next exit </= to a quarter mile----Rt 725 Dayton Mall exit. Like being in a Groundhog Day movie, they are on my way to work.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 8:56pm
SO THE AUSTIN PIKE AND 725 EXITS ARE CLOSER THAN 2 MILES
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 9:03pm
yes in fact you have Austin Pike > I-675 exit and on ramps > 725 all with in a mile of each other. It make for a mess getting on and off the exits but it is doable. 
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 9:48pm
Viet Vet; you were correct Target is French based in Paris.
What ads to the confusion is there is the lower scale brand, which is in Middletown, called Target.
Then, there is the European French upscale brand named Targete, which is pronpouned, Tar je, like de jay. I am sure that is what you were thinking, Targe. :D 
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2014 at 12:43am
I’ve been out of the engineering and construction loop for over 15 years. Either I erred in my recollection, or the design standards have changed. As of mid-2007 (and according to the U. S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration):
6.2.2 Interchange Configuration and Spacing
Interchanges, when spaced too closely along an Interstate corridor, negatively affect the traffic operations and safety performance of the Interstate. When evaluating the interval at which interchanges will be located, factors such as spacing between ramps, auxiliary lanes, weaving areas, and signing between interchanges need to be scrutinized. The minimum spacing for urban interchanges specified in the AASHTO Interstate Access Guide is 1 mile (3 miles in rural areas)."

A worse error that I made was in stating the area of Middletown to be “five square miles”. I should’ve said that it is about “twenty-five square miles”.

I regret any inconvenience that these two errors may have caused. However, the essence of my message remains just as valid.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2014 at 12:59am
Originally posted by over the hill over the hill wrote:

SO THE AUSTIN PIKE AND 725 EXITS ARE CLOSER THAN 2 MILES
No! The distance between the Austin Pike interchange and the Route 725 interchange is a little more than three miles.

(Remember: The distance between interchanges is measured along the centerline of the interstate between the intersection point of the centerlines of the roadways of each of the interchanges, and not from the end of one interchange’s entrance ramp to the start of the next interchange’s exit ramp.)
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Trotwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trotwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2014 at 6:22am
Sorry Mike Presta, Acclaro, and others, but I will not have a full rebuttal until later tonight or Friday..... no time at the moment.

In the meantime, I read over the most recent comments and thought I should provide this:

A Warren County planning document from Nov. 2013 detailing their proposal for a future Greentree Rd. interchange. The intersection is definitely possible, and I would assume probable.

Additionally, here's a link with detailing a brief summary of the "I-75 Plan", posted on planning.org

Both a Manchester Rd. interchange and a Greentree Rd. interchange are being studied. 
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2014 at 7:22am
T, as I hold two patents, have taken startups to IPO generating $325 Mm in capitalization at open, and having written at least 40 strategic marketing plans in my career, I found the document an academic piece lacking in factual research, substance, and support. In fact, there was no footnoting, no support, and was using trivial landmarks to theorize horse parks, zoo expansions, and frankly, concepts in such scope it was laughable. There was no airport in there as you had initially stated, and once again it hinged upon, build it, and they will come.  I cannot conceive of funds from a county or state being given for this speculative document.

If I presented this to a Board of Directors, I would have been kicked out of the meeting in 15 minutes. Amateurish.

Timeline:  2-10 years, and it may come then. May and Will are two different activities.

By the way, what happened to the Manchester deal?  
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2014 at 7:26am
Trotwood:

Perhaps you missed this statement in the APA article that you linked:
"Sams said both I-75 interchanges are in the plan, but that the one proposed at Greentree Road is more likely to come to fruition than one sought at the Manchester Road crossing. Ohio Department of Transportation officials did not respond to questions about the interchange plans."

I do have one question: Were these planning meetings held in Colorado?
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2014 at 7:52am
T, I put the document you provided at the same level of Obama's waste of $200 Mm for manufacturing innovation in NC, to save Kay Hagal, Senator, from defeat. $ wasted w/o rationale knowledge or consideration for creating impact. Another example of enormous government waste. The worse problem in southwestern Ohio is the breakdown on I-75 from Cincinnati until hitting 275, from adequate east/ west land expansion. All the wasted funds on 75 to have the bottleneck for the 20 mile stretch from 275 to the Ohio River is difficult to accept. Then, the $3 Bb the group wants to fund to build a new bridge over the Ohio River to have tows charged. Madness.
Urban planning has its place to avoid urban sprawl, but the 'study' leaves much to be desired. Glittering generalities just doesn't 'get er done.'  
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2014 at 12:03pm
Trotwood:

"Both a Manchester Rd. interchange and a Greentree Rd. interchange are being studied"

They have been looking at Manchester Rd. for many years, off and on. The last report I heard was that, at the time, there is no need to construct an exit because of the proximity of the 122-Middletown and 123 Lebanon/Frankin exits. They both feed meaninful off highway activity. The Manchester Rd. area does not as it empties out to a more rural setting. Other than the hospital traffic to and from work, a Manchester Rd. exit would be nominally used wouldn't it? Union Rd. and the rural road feeding it don't supply enough traffic count to justify an exit at this location. Sure would be convenient for all of us living in NE Middletown rather than to go the 122 or 123 routes to I-75. I'd appreciate it on my way to Dayton everyday. As it is now, gotta travel through Franklin to reach 123/73 and I-75.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Trotwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trotwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2014 at 11:13am
Originally posted by acclaro acclaro wrote:

T, as I hold two patents, have taken startups to IPO generating $325 Mm in capitalization at open, and having written at least 40 strategic marketing plans in my career, I found the document an academic piece lacking in factual research, substance, and support. In fact, there was no footnoting, no support, and was using trivial landmarks to theorize horse parks, zoo expansions, and frankly, concepts in such scope it was laughable. There was no airport in there as you had initially stated, and once again it hinged upon, build it, and they will come.  I cannot conceive of funds from a county or state being given for this speculative document.

If I presented this to a Board of Directors, I would have been kicked out of the meeting in 15 minutes. Amateurish.

Timeline:  2-10 years, and it may come then. May and Will are two different activities.

By the way, what happened to the Manchester deal?  
I'll start here.

Congrats on your claimed success, but in the context of this discussion I don't think it is relevant. And you could be a computer program, a troll, anything - I cannot verify your claimed identity. Isn't that the point of one of these type discussions - anonymity so a there is a lack of personality bias allowing for the true issue to be discussed?

This document I linked are THE most recent documents about Manchester Rd and Greentree Rd. The one is complete with the attendance roster from the planners attending the event. For additional verification, if you really want it, probably could be accessed by a simple e-mail to their offices asking if they were in attendance at the planning events.

And yes, the airport was not mentioned in the links posted. But it has been speculated for many years - take a minute to read through the discussion on City-Data about the topic (warning - over 200 posts) to find some useful links about it. 

Trotwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trotwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2014 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

Trotwood:

In my earlier days, I would’ve copied your posts…and then pasted and shredded them...point-by-point. I no longer have the energy or the inclination to do so.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you are not just some prankster, having a go at us poor, down-at-heel Middletonians, nor some collegian looking for a laugh, but that you are just sadly ill-informed. Therefore I will just highlight a few of the many illogical and inconsistent points in your arguments, and rebut them.

First, you argue that we should “kill” AK Steel, so that other ventures could thrive. You argue that there are other local employers paying high wages. You mention “Miami University, Cincinnati State, Atrium Medical Center, Precision Strip, and Kokosing”. Perhaps you don’t understand that Precision Strip and Kokosing are in this community SOLELY because AK Steel is here. If the AK Middletown Works closes, the Middletown presence of these two businesses will certainly also close. AK is also the driving force behind the existence of Atrium, Miami Middletown, and Cinci State. Study the history (and the benefactors) of all of these organizations to understand the significance of AKS.

Second, you argue that AK Steel will pay for a significant portion of the remediation of their abandoned plant site, AFTER we “kill” them. Perhaps you don’t understand that by “killing” AK Middletown Works, AKS would surely be driven into bankruptcy. A bankrupt AKS won’t be paying to remediate anything!!!

Third, perhaps you don’t understand the amount of real estate required for a major international airport versus the acreage of the AKS facilities here in Middletown. AK Middletown is less than two square miles. A major airport such as you envision would require a minimum of SIX (and more likely nine) square miles! (As a point of comparison, I believe that ALL of Middletown is only about five square miles.) If a new, major airport was to be built here, you would not have to worry about Middletown…it would take not only the AK property, but the ENTIRE footprint of the City Middletown (and likely part of Monroe) to make it happen.

Fourth, your dream of a Greentree Road/I-75 interchange is highly unlikely! If I am not mistaken, Federal guidelines demand at least two miles between any NEW interstate interchange and an existing one. The present Middletown and Monroe interchanges (both very recently rebuilt) are only two miles apart. It would take light-years of red tape and decades of political wrangling to even come close to building an interchange ANYWHERE along I-75 between Rt. 63 and Rt. 122 (or between 122 and 123, as far as that goes).

However, I do not totally disagree with you. You state:
“But if Middletown citizens don't give a sh!t then they let them sit on their a$$ and do nothing. However, if they don't make an effort to have a nice town then there sure as heck shouldn't be b!tching when their town goes to sh!t. Because it is their fault, and only their fault.”

You are correct with those remarks. Too many have “sat on their a$$es and did nothing” for too long. They have left the fortunes of their town up to too few for too long, without bothering to become informed or to vote. It IS "their fault, and only their fault.”

Unfortunately, sending a cyber-petition to Target will not help with these circumstances.

I was born and raised very close to Middletown city limits. Since then I moved away but am now back in the area for college, so if you really want you could count me as one of those "collegians looking for a luagh" (or if we were in Hamilton, a "young professional" would work just fine). Can you verify my identity - I doubt it, but that's my alibi. 

First off, I thought Precision Strip and Kokosing were not that tied to Middletown? I purposefully left SunCoke off the list because they would close their site if AK Middletown Works closed. But yes, if they are that closely tied, that would be more jobs lost if AK left. 

My rebuttal - look at Dayton. 10,000 jobs lost in 2008 just from Delphi alone. That doesn't even include the fact that GM Moraine left, losing another 2,000 jobs, NCR left with 1,500 jobs, and I'm sure there were a ton of suppliers that had to close, downsize, etc. after those losses. But the area is coming back. Fuyao is bringing 800 jobs to GM Moraine, all of the former Delphi sites have been re-purposed, UD bought the NCR HQ and is using the space to create high-paying research jobs, GE is rapidly expanding in the area because Dayton has a large, skilled, and employable workforce, and so on. Looking in hindsight, Delphi, GM, and NCR pulling out of Dayton was probably one of the best things that could have happened, because it gave everyone in the area a kick in the pants to realize complacency wasn't the answer. Pittsburgh is now booming, but had to face those realities in the 1980's when it was really "the Pitts". New York realized this in the 19780's with the crime epidemic, along with Portland and Seattle in the same era when they were decidedly uncool, smelly, dirty fishing ports. 

Middletown hasn't been kicked in the a$$ yet, and it needs it. That's probably a lot of the reason why you all are mad at current city leaders - they are complacent. AK is the holy grail that "cannot be disturbed" and "must be kept happy", in their minds. I assume their attitude is everything else can go to sh!t and they don't care. They probably think capitalizing on some sprawl (like the cheap Wind tunnel Appalachian carny proposal being discussed on another thread) would be nice, but even then I doubt they care. Highly doubt they care as long as AK Steel is in town.

Want to make them get off their a$$ and do something? Press for cleaning up YOUR (not my) community. Press for higher taxes and more restrictions on AK. And then make them put that extra tax revenue into repaving roads, fixing sidewalks, better maintaining parks, recruiting new industry, and diversifying the economy. 

The AK site, despite what you all seem to think, is an excellent location - unsurpassed highway and rail access, right in a 9-hr radius of 60% of the US and Canadian population. The potential for logistics and distribution, advanced manufacturing (not third world steel manufacturing like AK), office space, etc. is immense. And Chinese industry is coming, if that isn't already evident from Fuyao. Capitalize on it! 

As far as the airport is concerned, that is just ONE potential use for the site based on past speculation which has been occurring since roughly the 1960's. Nothing new. And creating jobs in a freshly hard-hit Middletown would probably be political support enough to move the airport there. If Dayton had received FAA Drone Test Site approval, the proposal would have been even easier to push because DAY could have easily been repurposed into a massive drone testing site. And OH politicians would be on-board with getting CVG tax revenue back in OH. That I can guarantee.

Trotwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trotwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2014 at 11:40am
Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

Trotwood:

Perhaps you missed this statement in the APA article that you linked:
"Sams said both I-75 interchanges are in the plan, but that the one proposed at Greentree Road is more likely to come to fruition than one sought at the Manchester Road crossing. Ohio Department of Transportation officials did not respond to questions about the interchange plans."

I do have one question: Were these planning meetings held in Colorado?

I doubt they would be able to comment unless they were 100% pursuing the plan. It's a least a lot more promising answer than "We are not pursuing constructing an interchange at Greentree Rd".

And the planning meeting location - I don't know. It could have been. 
Trotwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trotwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2014 at 11:45am
Originally posted by acclaro acclaro wrote:

T, I put the document you provided at the same level of Obama's waste of $200 Mm for manufacturing innovation in NC, to save Kay Hagal, Senator, from defeat. $ wasted w/o rationale knowledge or consideration for creating impact. Another example of enormous government waste. The worse problem in southwestern Ohio is the breakdown on I-75 from Cincinnati until hitting 275, from adequate east/ west land expansion. All the wasted funds on 75 to have the bottleneck for the 20 mile stretch from 275 to the Ohio River is difficult to accept. Then, the $3 Bb the group wants to fund to build a new bridge over the Ohio River to have tows charged. Madness.
Urban planning has its place to avoid urban sprawl, but the 'study' leaves much to be desired. Glittering generalities just doesn't 'get er done.'  

If you consider the Greentree interchange project wasteful, then I strongly suggest you write a letter to the people planning it NOW. VietVet is correct planning for this has been on/off over the years, but I'm assuming since the economy is getting better in OH and tax revenues are going up again, now is when it will happen. 

The reason they will most likely use? Congestion at OH 63. There are a lot of "destination locations" there, with the outlet mall, the flea markets, racino, etc. And the population of Monroe doubled in the past 10 years - lots of good reason to build an interchange there now that didn't exist 5, 10 or 20 years ago.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2014 at 11:51am
Mr. T (or Mr. Smith); to your response:
1) I don't question the authenticity of the document, I question its value and lack of substantive facts. It has no value, other than providing a county development officer a road map. I don't view Otterbein as a game-changer, nor the Atrium and "Innovation s Drive", nor expansion  of the zoo.
NCR's move was devastating to Dayton. UD's acquisition of the building (corporate) served only to save a building and new jobs to make up for the shortfall. Oakwood, Centreville, and Kettering were hurt tremendously. To state there would be a meaningful back-fill of AKS is demonstrating a complete lack of macro-economic knowledge. I add, Dayton is among the top 5 areas in the  nation for foreclosure, at one time, ranked no. 2. Some resurgence.

2) You obviously have no knowledge regarding the capital costs for an airport and planning requirements. More importantly, would be need. There is, simply put, no need for an airport sitting between Dayton and Cincinnati.

Trotwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trotwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2014 at 11:51am
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Trotwood:

"Both a Manchester Rd. interchange and a Greentree Rd. interchange are being studied"

They have been looking at Manchester Rd. for many years, off and on. The last report I heard was that, at the time, there is no need to construct an exit because of the proximity of the 122-Middletown and 123 Lebanon/Frankin exits. They both feed meaninful off highway activity. The Manchester Rd. area does not as it empties out to a more rural setting. Other than the hospital traffic to and from work, a Manchester Rd. exit would be nominally used wouldn't it? Union Rd. and the rural road feeding it don't supply enough traffic count to justify an exit at this location. Sure would be convenient for all of us living in NE Middletown rather than to go the 122 or 123 routes to I-75. I'd appreciate it on my way to Dayton everyday. As it is now, gotta travel through Franklin to reach 123/73 and I-75.

Manchester Rd. interchange is probably more of a long shot than Greentree, for the reasons you cited. But think about Union Centre - out in the middle of a corn field when it was built, not so much now. That's what they are hoping for.

My bet? - It won't happen. Even if it did, I doubt there would be much development. Right now, Middletown/Franklin are the armpit of Butler/Warren, the schools of both are horrible (especially in comparison to surrounding communities) so even with the interchange developers would have to be crazy to invest there. There is no incentive, unless its better access to a new landfill (both Stony Hollow and Mt. Rumpke are near capacity) or another similar community disinvestment type investment (like the world's largest sex toy shop, a Gatlinburg-esque type strip, or something like that). 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic