Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, March 28, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bronston and Bohannon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Analytical View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2016 at 4:47pm
Community Revitalization Memories (Part 2) for swohio75...................

About seven years ago the City received $2.1 million in HUD Neighborhood Stabilization Program funds.  This endeavor was principally to address the negative consequences of home foreclosures in neighborhoods.  My proposal, as reviewed and endorsed by several local mortgage  bankers and REALTORS, called for:  1) down payment/closing cost assistance for the purchasers of 80 foreclosed homes ($400,000); 2) rehabilitation and code compliance gap funding for 80 buyers of foreclosed homes ($1,200,000); 3) funding to demolish 40 homes ($300,000); 4) administrative funding ($210,000).

Instead, city staff wasted money as I was being forced out by hiring a consultant to prepare a different plan.  This one called for only 20 housing projects, significantly more subsidy to cover the cost of rehabilitation, down payment/closing cost assistance, a quantum leap in the number of residential demolitions and program administration.  By the end of the program, only 10 or 11 foreclosed homes were purchased/rehabbed and rehabbed.  AS MUCH AS $75,000 was lost on one of these projects.  In several other instances $25,000 to $50,000 was squandered.  And, many more than 40 homes were demolished.  The frosting on the cake was the use of these funds to acquire properties in the 1300 block of Central Avenue.  Then, more funds were spent demolishing buildings thereon.

The above described Central Avenue activity plus the former woodworking shop on Vail were part of a major subsidy given to Mr. Robinette for $1.00 to develop his distillery project.  What a sweet, sweet deal for him?

How's this for getting a 'bang for your buck" swohio75?  I think no!
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2016 at 8:03pm
My plan DID NOT call for the city to purchase foreclosed homes, next rehabilitate them and finally sell the upgraded dwellings to bankable homeowners.  Instead, it specified that purchasers would utilize FHA 203k or similar residential mortgage products to directly assist the purchasers in the buy/rehab process.  Mr. Adkins decision added significantly to the administrative process and costs.  And, instead of remedying 80 foreclosed homes, it only produced 10 or 11.  His decision to divert several hundred thousand dollars to acquire and demolish commercial properties in the 1300 block of Central Avenue eventually contributed mightily to the FINANCIAL WINDFALL for Mr. Robinette's distillery project.  Lastly, the leveling of so many dwellings in what was Ward 2 has left an indelible mark on the landscape.  What has been his record in constructing new or substantially rehabilitating existing properties there.  Note:  I am not talking about minimal exterior painting, etc. that's undertaken by non-profit groups. 
middielover View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middielover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2016 at 7:48am
So Bohannon gets 27 calls. 23 are calls from people who are against the raise for Akins. Bohannon uses call's as rational to vote no on Adkin''s raise.

So basically we do not need Bohannon on Council. We replace him with Survey Monkey on each vote taken by Council.

What an idiot!
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middielover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2016 at 7:50am
I need 23 volunteers to call Bohannon each time we want him to vote a certain way.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2016 at 9:10am
MiddieLover, et. al. ..............................................

Poorly conceived and financially extravagant Community Revitalization activities undertaken over the past 7.5 years has contributed mightily to the decline/stagnation in Middletown.  Oh, to only have those millions of dollars back and to have had competent city administrators to analyze prominent problems, develop and implement productive and cost-efficient remedies, which resulted in stabilizing an embattled housing market and substandard image throughout S.W. Ohio.  There's so much that's gone on behind the scenes that the electorate is unaware of. 
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2016 at 5:12pm
I really can't see any reason to call one of our council members an idiot just because they may have a different view on things.. JMO
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middielover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2016 at 7:13am
Calling him an idiot because he rationalize or justifies his vote based on 23 phone calls.

We have something like 50,000 people in our town and he bases his vote on 23 people.

Like I said, he is an idiot.
Douglas Adkins View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Douglas Adkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2016 at 8:01am
Nelson,

I've never understood your vitriol towards me. I only met you once or twice and I had nothing to do with your separation from the city. The people who did are long gone.

At some point you will have to make peace with the fact that Council and Admin had different policy views than you did. We spent the NSP money exactly as HUD showed us in training on how they wanted the money spent. They've audited the program year after year without a finding of questionable spending or violation of the regulations.

I do agree that the program wasn't terribly productive for Middletown. I think we had too much Section 8 and too many not well maintained properties in many of those neighborhoods that kept the program from working well here.

I sincerely hope that you find peace and let this go. It was years ago that all of this took place. Enjoy your life and move on.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2016 at 8:02am
Well, I guess you better get busy because you have a tuff job a head of you trying to pole every American in the USA before you vote in Nov. Good luck with that.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middielover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2016 at 8:17am
Over the hill

Tell that to your friend Bohannon.

Are you one of the several slum lords that funded Bohannon's campaign?
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2016 at 9:05am
Wow sounds like the landlords have a large and effective voting block
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2016 at 10:20am
I won't speak for Nelson and his thoughts on the city separation. He has made his feelings known about how he was treated.

I will respond to this statement from Mr. Adkins......

"I sincerely hope that you find peace and let this go. It was years ago that all of this took place. Enjoy your life and move on"

Mr. Adkins, sometimes that is easier said than done. I know exactly how Nelson feels concerning the feelings of being wronged by people. I was downsized in 1994 by P&G. They gave no reason for the separation. I had been there 10 years, went to work everyday, did what they asked of me. Some companies have their favorites and most companies expect you to play to game even though the employee thinks the game is phony, political, sucking up and a joke. Some must compromise their principles if they don't fit in to stay employed with that company. I was in a wheel chair with a torn achilles tendon at the time I went to the Director's office to receive my separation package. They even let me decide a time to choose to separate. That was in 1994 and it still leaves a bitterness toward P&G to this day as I was never given a reason but I suspect it was incompatibility on their part to accept me. In 1999, I was downsized a second time at General Cable after only 8 months there. Happened to be the low man in seniority and they got rid of 340 that day due to a money savings move to lessen the blow of poor sales for the quarter as the CEO overpriced some products and they sat in trailers (Romex wire) and stockpiled. Not our fault the CEO screwed up but he remained and we all paid the price for his incompetence. Downsized a third time at Black Clawson's tech center when they closed it down due to inactivity and when they moved out of Middletown and to Mason-Montgomery Rd for a more professional image. That was in 2002. I go into detail on my downsizings to illustrate that I feel I was wronged in a number of ways and still hold some bitter feelings toward my former employers. I will venture to guess that Nelson can identify with me on the topic of resentment toward people who have wronged us. The undertow of bitterness may leave on the surface most of the time but it is easily revived when certain topics show up.

Bottom line for me......it is not as easy as "finding peace and letting it go". Even though it will never happen, you still feel like getting revenge on those who have done you wrong. Human nature to defend oneself from injustice I guess. None of these episodes did anything to heal my distrust in authority figures. I just don't trust the people at the top. I guess I never did.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2016 at 10:46am
Thank you, VietVet.  I continue to keep you, your dear wife and son in my thoughts and prayers.

I remain a staunch advocate of well-planned, cost-effective community revitalization activities in Middletown and elsewhere.  The people of the city deserve so much more than promises and multiple master plans.  The next few years will tell the story of community advancement, stagnation or decline.

Other than eight years when I was a home builder, I've witnessed so much waste and lost opportunities involving HUD funds over a 30+ year timespan.  Having worked/administered programs in Rhode Island, Michigan, Connecticut, Oklahoma and Arkansas, I've seen it all.  Throughout my career I always endeavored to be a good, productive steward of the people's tax dollars.  The people of Middletown deserve the best and so does your family.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2016 at 11:37am

Middielover

I believe we should be able to disagree and discuss important issues without personal insults and name calling.
Voters have a right to call or email council members and express their concerns and or views on any issue to be voted on by City Council. In fact I believe that voters should stand up more often and express their views.

It seems that you have forgotten that what the city manager places before council members for a vote today may take five, ten or even fifteen years before we see the full effect of their action or inaction.

Drive around Middletown today and you will see the results of their votes and leadership over the past 30 years. How’s that been working out for us?

Take a look at the numbers, debt load, credit rating, rainy day fund, police, fire and major improvement that will be needed within the next five years. Yep, we are in a big black hole. And again I ask…Where did all the tax money go?

City Hall and the Board of Education need to find a much better plan to solve these important issues in the near future. 

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middielover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2016 at 7:52pm
Vivian

So you agree that if 27 people call a member of Council about an issue the Council member should vote based on the results of 27 calls?
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2016 at 10:42am
Hey analytical---were you around for any of the Duncan Oil dealings?
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2016 at 11:52am
No.  And, I'm glad that I wasn't a part of yet another city money-losing gambit.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2016 at 11:24pm
 I've always respected former President Harry S. Truman as he frequently would say, "the buck stops here."  He was always accountable for his actions.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middielover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2016 at 6:24am
Truman also said, "Whenever you have an efficient government you have a dictatorship."
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2016 at 8:00am
HUD made him do it???  Baloney!!!
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2016 at 10:09am
With all the money formerly being siphoned to the downtown area has anyone actually connected the dots as to how that keeps happening. The arrows seem to point to our illustrious mayor as the common denominator. When he is replaced maybe the rest of the city may stand a change for moving forward. JMO
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2016 at 10:43am
Originally posted by over the hill over the hill wrote:

With all the money formerly being siphoned to the downtown area has anyone actually connected the dots as to how that keeps happening. The arrows seem to point to our illustrious mayor as the common denominator. When he is replaced maybe the rest of the city may stand a change for moving forward. JMO

Ya know, I don't know if we will ever get rid of Mulligan. He has enough of a supporting voting block with the MMF sponsorship (he's on their board of directors) each time he runs for re-election and wins, and I don't see him gone, unfortunately, particularly when you factor in that most who would vote against the man either don't care enough to register to vote or stay home on election day. Like a fly at the picnic, he just keeps hanging around pestering people in this city supporting his town destroying plans and protecting his home turf on S Main St. What is so incredible to me is that he is a product of the 60's good times and the man has lived here and has seen what I have seen and we couldn't be any further apart on how we both view this city. How in the hell can two people live in the same town, during the same years and have such drastically different viewpoints as to it's future? He seems to be an egotist and a control freak to the lengths he has gone to protect his little world while helping bring the city to it's knees. Shameful IMO.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2016 at 1:39pm
Well I guess if people have had enough they may realize what needs to be none. Get off your Duff and vote your Conscience. Mulligan has been setting in that seat all through the Gilland years and singing her praises the whole time. She was their puppet and they liked it that way. Time to make the change. JMO
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middielover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2016 at 7:55pm
One of the newest additions Bohannon should be a one termer.

We need people on. Council able to think for themselves.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middielover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2016 at 7:35pm
Heard Bohannon owns run down rental property.
Anyone know the company name he uses for his rentals?
I would like to check them out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic