FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gracies Ownership

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gracies Ownership
    Posted: Jul 04 2018 at 2:46pm
What happened to the managing partner Max Comisar?
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2018 at 9:22am
Been gone for a while
I liked the guy—I like the place
Was there Monday for meat loaf
Family seems to be keeping it going
Best of luck to them

Support local businesses throughout our town!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2019 at 9:24am
Son and I tried Don's Pizza a while ago. Great tasting pizza and a nice crowd there. We will return. Thought about trying Gracie's and went to their website. Read some comments and viewed the pictures of the meals they serve. Observed some prices as well.

Gotta tell you, there were a few comments that mentioned the lack of customers in the place. Comments related to menu choices being slim and comments related to food served that was not exactly what the customer ordered. Some comments mentioned questions asked the server that were not accurately answered. Several comments from diners that mentioned the portion sizes being small and the food being overpriced. One customer mentioned they had to go to O'Charlie's afterward to feel full.

The pictures of the patio area look nice and are inviting for dining outside on a nice summer evening. Having some live music is a good idea as well. Like that.

It would be unfair for my son and I to pre-judge without trying the restaurant. However, our initial impressions are that the prices are a turnoff as well as the portion sizes mentioned and in the pictures. The food looks fancy but the downside appears to be portion sizes presented and the price.

This may be a situation where a "New York" upscale dining experience is being created but is being force fit into a Middletown blue collar setting which will never fly. It is just too fancy for the clientele the town offers IMO.

We may give it a try someday but will probably find other dining venues that more closely match our dining tastes. It may be safe to say Gracie's isn't for everyone both in selection and in pricing.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2019 at 8:37am
I like the place. Food quality is consistent and good. Menu is varied, and imo reasonably priced for what you get. Staff and ownership are friendly and involved.

Try it with an open mind, Vet. The menu lays it out for you.
Personally I didn't care for the new pizza. Still--most like it and I wish them all the best.

Seemed like an interesting Friday night, and Fenwick Festival was about as crowded as it could be.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2019 at 10:42am
Will take your advise and try it with the son.Would like to try their patio while dining. Perhaps it will surprise me as I do have my perception of the place. Son and I had Don's Pizza again on Saturday night. Really like the taste. Not as large of crowd as our first visit but still 2/3 full when we arrived. Sat by the front window and noticed many patrons going in to Gracie's. Seemed as if they were doing a good business last night. Appeared to be an entirely older clientele parking on Central and going in. Looks like they might need more parking. Fewer folks younger than 50 I would guess. One thing we observed was that the folks who chose to sit on the patio were served with the server walking out the front door on Central and all the way around the building with menus and drinks. Seems like a lot of walking for the servers taking care of patio customers. If they had to carry the food out there like that, it might cool it down a bit. Just wondering if they have a door on the patio (Verity Pkwy) side of the building and if not, if they may have considered placing an exit there if doable. Dunno.

A few folks sitting outside at the Beau Verre place as well. Nice to see some evening activity down there but was still sparse compared to the east end/I-75 restaurants. We frequent those as well. Drove past Combs BBQ and Stefanos on Central coming home. Both appeared to be closed. Is Stefanos still re-doing their place? All in all, a nice evening for a drive around town last night.

Seemed like old times seeing the old Fenwick High School engaged in the Festival. Almost reminiscent of the 60's, 70's and 80's while passing by on University.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2019 at 1:53pm
Maybe we should meet down there for dinner some night, vet.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2019 at 2:40pm
I think Combs was closed because they were serving food at the Festival.
buddhalite View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2019 at 4:39pm
Maybe a bunch of us should all meet up and go down there and break bread together!
"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2019 at 4:53pm
I think Gracie's has gotten better with the chef change.  The original chef moved on, and while I know he was well-liked, I actually think this new guy is doing better.  I also think the menu is much more approachable on many fronts, including pricing.   

Hope Steve reopens, even if the menu is limited.  Nice to have options in town with Combs, Swire, Gracies, Slice, Bourbon's, and more.  Let's face it, Steve/Stefano's was the only game in town during much of the Great Recession. I can imagine new competition forced him to look at his business viability moving forward. 

Rumor has it a new restaurant is opening on the Forest Hills property--not sure how true that is.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2019 at 7:24pm
Nice photo op in the Journal the other day on Indigo Pass. The rooms look nice but a little "fru fru/artsy" for me on decor. Good effort to transform a once vacant area of the old JC Penny building.

Just wonder why the Journal keeps sponsoring a PR program for the downtown area while making no effort to sponsor the businesses in other parts of town. Seems the city leaders have a tunnel vision agenda on business importance. Do they not have other friends of the city with businesses in other parts of town?

Spider, will talk to my son and will get back with you on a time and date for Gracie's. Might want to try the Beau Verre outdoor area (Murphy's Landing?) as well at some future time. Anyone else want to attend? You are welcomed to join us.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2019 at 3:15pm
The Journal had yet another article from Ed Richter promoting the downtown area. Many businesses were highlighted in the pictorial. One of the businesses was Gracie's. Pictured was what looked like seasoned salmon/chicken with a very small portion of cole slaw and some other item on the plate.

Now, if this is a typical meal at Gracie's, and guessing the price to be around $15-$20 bucks or so, I can make a judgement call that this is not going to be a good deal for the money. If this is typical, then I am forced to place this restaurant under the fru fru category. This is what I have been mentioning for a while now concerning this "gourmet burger with pickle slice and chips" type of meal served in these places.

Not all of us eat like birds nor want to pay for "ambiance" with our meal. The portion size, if typical at Gracie's, doesn't necessarily overwhelm the plate does it. Atmosphere is important until the higher price of the meal overshadows the experience while dining.

Still willing to give Gracie's a try though.

This is what I mean about offering the blue collar people of Middletown a decent portion sized meal and matching it in the cost. I would imagine most would look at that picture and know that after the meal, they would have to head to another restaurant to eat the other half of their meal. This may be great food but there is just not enough of it. Nothing worse in dining out than to go home hungry and knowing you paid too much for the meal. JMO
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2019 at 3:41pm
You're a man after my own heart, vet! :-)

Love that last line!
"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2019 at 1:59pm
Dined at the award-winning( 4 best of recently) Gracies last night.
Everything was fine—plenty of food in the plates.
Since you have never visited, quit bitching and give it a try!
You can read the menu and prices, so no surprises.
As much as bob and you rag on the owners and place, they would probably welcome you.
Or maybe stick to Golden Corral and the Senior Center.....
Come on, man!
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2019 at 8:12am
Might also try the Swire Inn, which has great food (and full plates).
There are two types of people: those that talk the talk and those that walk the walk. People who walk the walk sometimes talk the talk but most times they don't talk at all, 'cause they walkin.'
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2019 at 6:02pm
Hardcore spider....

"Since you have never visited, quit bitching and give it a try!
You can read the menu and prices, so no surprises.
As much as bob and you rag on the owners and place, they would probably welcome you.
Or maybe stick to Golden Corral and the Senior Center.....
Come on, man!"

I believe my comments were of the speculative/inquisitive nature and not meant to necessarily "bitch" or complain. I mentioned that I would still try it before giving it a thumbs up or down. For Christ sake, I'm trying to give the downtown the benefit of the doubt here.

Don't get it spider. One post you are inviting us to join you for a meal there and in this post you are jumping down our throats for offering some comments that you take as offensive toward Gracie's. It may be award winning to you but others may find it a tad bit short of that designation. Don't understand the change in demeanor here from you. Wrong side of the bed type of thing perhaps or are you just naturally prone to flying off the handle at times?

I can just hear the Rolling Stones song "Get Off My Cloud" playing in the background on this one.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2019 at 5:16pm
fair enough, vet---Gracie's is obviously not your kind of place, judged by your long string of negative comments. Enough people like it, since it is one of the busiest restaurants in town, and was just voted the top spot in the Best of Middletown polling. I would gladly meet people there to give it a try, if not turning in to a bitch about Middletown evening.

Just trying to get a few of you some Satisfaction!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2019 at 8:21am
Ok Spider. Let's dine at Gracie's. A Friday or Saturday evening would be a good time for my son (if he wishes to attend) and I. Could we do the patio, weather permitting? It will NOT turn into a bitch session about Middletown. Choose a date and we'll (I'll) be there.

People nowadays are quick on the trigger to label everything they hear as "negative" no matter the intent of the individual offering the comments. The optimal buzz words for criticism reaction now are "negative" or, in the political arena, "racists". Two popular words to describe those who differ in opinions. More politically correct bull---- in our current screwed up world.

I do like your great comeback on the Stones "Satisfaction" comment. Clever and noted.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2019 at 10:45am
i just don't get it.

I have never ragged Gracies - nor its owners. Statement of facts - yes - ragged? No.

Please don't mis-characterize my comments.  Never been to Gracies.  Would have nothing to say about it either way - however - I would disagree with your comment about it being ' one of the busiest restaurants in town ' I'd say that's not likely true unless you define 'town' differently than I do.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2019 at 11:53am
Correct—you don’t get it, Bob— because you don’t want to get it. Just voted best restaurant in Middletown—back to back years. Best local food is at Browns Run, but that is another story...

Owners are working very hard to establish themselves while improving the landscape and hopefully themselves. They are involved in the community.
I am sure that they have obstacles constantly along the way.

I am not a huge “downtown” fan after watching decades of prioritizing over everything else , damn the cost. Would hate to know how many millions have been spent along the way. But it looks like it is go there occasionally or do nothing around here.
The BRCC house band opens the Bash for the Menus Wednesday evening. IMO they are more entertaining than the Menus.

So—I am open to meeting at gracies some night—-this could be the last time. May be the last time, I don’t know, vet....
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2019 at 8:48am
The Spider:

"So—I am open to meeting at gracies some night—-this could be the last time. May be the last time, I don’t know, vet...."

Hey!!! Wild horses couldn't drag me away from an evening at Gracie's. If I don't like it it may, as you say, be the last time. Don't know spider. You can't always get what you want at places like this but I am willing to give it one more try. I surely don't want to go so far as to be a street fighting man about this though. In addition, I surely don't want to get sad and let the tears go by if this doesn't work out.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2019 at 10:55am
Time is on our side, vet...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic