FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Central Ave. Downtown Upgrades

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Central Ave. Downtown Upgrades
    Posted: Sep 26 2019 at 10:42am
According to a Journal story today, it appears that the city leaders will be upgrading the downtown area on Central Ave. between University Blvd. and Verity Pkwy. with new paving, lighting, curb and gutter, etc.

Just wondering, with all the pathetic streets we have in ALL areas of this city, why they are concentrating on their downtown for upgrading while the rest of the city falls apart. This area of Central is hardly in need of resurfacing compared to other city streets. See for yourself by driving down Marshall Rd. between Central Ave. and Rosedale Rd. Be prepared to lose a shock or two if you drive more than 30 MPH. Just another priority issue in the long saga of ignoring the majority of the city when so much work needs to be done in other areas. They don't try to hide the fact they think more of their dam downtown than they do those who don't necessarily support it. Some city streets have grass growing through the pavement. Don't remember Central Ave. in the downtown area having "grass through pavement" issues.

Need to change your street priorities city leaders.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2019 at 11:36am
Because they received outside funding for $4mil+ of this $6mil+ project.  Not all roads in Middletown will qualify for this outside funding. 
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2019 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by swohio75 swohio75 wrote:

Because they received outside funding for $4mil+ of this $6mil+ project.  Not all roads in Middletown will qualify for this outside funding. 

And that's fine swohio75 but doesn't it seem just a tad bit "interesting" that they always focus on the downtown, outside funding like this or not, and limit their intensity on other parts of town? I know you are one of those who support the intense focus on downtown and suspect you may be involved in downtown efforts, perhaps as a downtown business owner. This may be the reason for your constant defense of almost everything the city has planned with hardly a question asked. I, as a long time resident (since 1948), have had many issues with the city direction and focus over the years, as well as the quality of leadership since the 70's, who have negatively contributed to the continual downgrading of this once decent city.

We shall just disagree as to the amount of support we think they deserve as to that direction and focus.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Dead man walkin' View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dead man walkin' Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2019 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

it appears that the city leaders will be upgrading the downtown area on Central Ave. between University Blvd. and Verity Pkwy. with new paving, lighting, curb and gutter, etc.  

This is a travesty on so many levels!

First, according to Google Maps, Central between University and Verity is a grand total of SIX TENTHS of one mile.  How in the Hades do you spend six MILLION dollars repaving 0.6 of a mile?  The key word here is "upgrading"!  You can be darn certain that there will be a lot of "gold-plating" going on in "their downtown" at "our" expense.

Second, why are we taxpayers paying for curbs, gutters, or sidewalks?  If they were repaving our streets, they would be assessing any needed new curbs, gutters, and sidewalks to the property owners and adding it to our property taxes.

Thirdly, why new lighting?  What is wrong with the lights that we have?  Will this be more of the expensive, "Olde Tyme" phony period lighting that we will be stuck paying higher electric costs for until the day we die (or move)?

Fourthly, beware of the "etc."!  Who knows what else they have up their sleeves for this outlandish TEN MILLION dollars per MILE price tag!

Lastly,  just consider how many miles of so desperately needed paving could be done on our other streets for SIX MILLION DOLLARS of our money, rather than here where it really is not badly needed. 

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil" (Psalm 23)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic