FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SunCoke Company of Middletown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SunCoke Company of Middletown
    Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 2:58pm
Suncoke gets the go-ahead from the Ohio EPA to build a coke/power generating plant.

About Suncoke:
For more than 45 years, SunCoke Energy has furnished high quality metallurgical coke to integrated steel makers that utilize blast furnace technology. In the U.S., SunCoke Energy produces over 3 million tons of metallurgical coke per year, 20% of total U.S. production. Its U.S. plants are located in Vansant, Virginia; East Chicago, Indiana; and Haverhill, Ohio. Internationally, a new 320-oven cokemaking facility and power plant located in Vitória, Espírito Santo, Brazil became operational in March 2007. The plant produces 1.7 million tons coke per year and converts waste heat into 139 MW power.

SunCoke Energy is completing a second plant in Haverhill, Ohio. At full production, this facility ("Haverhill II") will produce 550,000 tons coke per year from 100 new heat recovery ovens. It will also produce 366,000 per hour of superheated steam that will be delivered to an onsite power facility, generating 46 MW electrical power for sale into a major power grid. Initial coke production started in July of 2008.

Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 2:59pm
SunCoke Energy possesses the only proven, clean, heat recovery technology in the world that conforms to EPA MACT emission standards and offers steam or electric power as an emission free by-product.  We bring superior heat-recovery technology , capital, and people to make the best coke in the market. We will build, own, and operate a coke plant with you, delivering substantial benefits:
  • Blast furnace efficiency improvement from consistent,  higher quality coke.

• The most  environmentally friendly cokemaking operation available.

• Availability of low cost energy (steam or electric power) as an emission free coke plant by-product.

• Significant cost savings from lower capital and operating costs.

• Guaranteed performance.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 3:01pm
Produces Virtually No Hazardous Emissions
Air
  The 1990 Amendment to the U.S. Clean Air Act named the SunCoke Energy non-recovery technology as the Maximum Achievable Control Technology (MACT) for U.S. cokemaking. All new coke plants built in the United States must comply with those MACT standards; all older positive-pressure cokemaking technology fails to comply. SunCoke Energy's coke oven emissions are extremely low since negative draft prevents leaks and long retention time at high temperatures incinerates virtually all typical coke plant emissions. Most ambient air emissions are also reduced.

Water
  There are no waste water discharges from a SunCoke Energy heat recovery plant. The plant is a net water consumer with machine cooling water reused to provide quench water.

Solid Waste
  There are no hazardous solid wastes or sludges from a SunCoke Energy heat recovery plant. The only solid wastes are non-hazardous calcium sulfate and calcium sulfite from the spray dryer flue gas desulfurization system which can be recycled to other industries, used as fertilizer for certain crops, or land filled.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2009 at 11:51am
An important previous discussion:

"Should SunCoke be permitted to build a coke plant in Middletown?"

The question should be " Are we willing to accept the consequences of not permitting SunCoke to build the coke plane in Middletown" ?

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2009 at 12:11pm
In this economy building a New Coke Plant is no gurantee that AK is going to either remain open in Middletown or not be bought out and the Middletown Operation Closed down altogether.  I expect that more layoffs are coming for Middlertown.
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2009 at 10:46pm
As I stand  some nights on my back deck on S.Marshall viewing the orange haze in the skies coming from AK,I ask myself if we are willing to accept the consequences of having more pollution for the sake of a few more shiny coins which will be wasted anyway
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2009 at 1:49pm
As I look out my office window into the empty Towne Mall parking lot, I wonder what will save our city?

Then I remember, its a few extra shiney coins from new and expanded businesses coming to Middletown. SunCoke will create more jobs. Its a fact.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2009 at 2:44pm
How many more Jobs Jonathan after it is built?  Supposedly 75 jobs.  Now the question is how many jobs will be lost by closing the Current Coke ovens down?  Currently AK produces about 75% of it's Coke and buys 25% elsewhere.  When the Old Facility is shut down will those be lost jobs?????????????????????

If we don't loose any jobs the new Coke Plant will generate enough Payroll Taxes to pay for 1 employee at City Hall, lets say the Economic Director.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2009 at 9:28pm
So would hookers, It comes down to what type of town and enviroment you would want to past on to the younger members of one's family. I assure you pollution isn't the one I would choose. I recall history where some american indians traded for some shiny trinkets.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2009 at 4:19pm
Pacman, think about losing all the AK jobs in Middletown as a consequence. I would hate to think that is so. Especially since the new plant will reduce the total pollution in our air once the old coke plant shuts down.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2009 at 7:18pm
Hahahaha I knew you would come back with that one Jonathan.  Now Ak makes 75% of its Coke on site, the question is, is the material to make that coke going to become unavailable in 12-09, since coal is the main ingredient I doubt that will happen or are they going to lose the other 25% of the coke they buy on the open market.  Hmmmmmmmm.........

My main point being I am not buying AK's we're going out of business if we don't have the new Coke Plant.  Personally I think Middletown got snookered once again.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2009 at 10:37pm
Pac, I see where certain people have all their eggs in one basket(AK) and when that basket is finally dropped it will cause chaos in the minds of local people which is exactly what this town presents to the locals. I am from Charleston S.C. where I witnessed the 2nd largest Naval base on the east coast closed down. Charleston has survived this devastation by being creative and has rebounded from what at the time was seen as the end of the world. I believe if the right people were in charge of this town it also could rebound if AK was to close. One door closes,five opens.
MadisonMom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2009 at 12:19am
""""One door closes.....five opens""""" quote from tomahawk35....................

I CERTAINLY HOPE THIS IS TRUE FOR WILMINGTON, OHIO,,,,,,WITH THE CLOSING OF THE DHL PLANT.
HOW HORRIFIC FOR THIS COMMUNITY. DID ANYONE WATCH 60 MINUTES LAST NIGHT? THE WILMINGTON DHL PLANT WAS THE FIRST TOPIC.

To think, any production plant/business/etc. could close at anytime,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2009 at 7:02am
Hawk- You mentioned the "all the eggs in one basket" theme. Reminds me of the Letter To The Editor I wrote in the mid 1980's.The article focused on the reliance of this town on AK Steel for money flow, employment and being the only place in town to land a decent paying job. The article further encouraged the city to develop and attract more diversified jobs other than paper mill and steel work. I took a copy of the article to then Commissioner Bill Donham and handed it to him before the commission meeting started.As an example of non-active behavior on the city's part, at this same time, the old Montgomery Ward building on University Blvd. was considered as a location for the post office which is still downtown and still lacks parking. Old Bill read the letter and we discussed the post office thing. That was in the mid 80's. It is now January 27th, 2009 and we still have no diversified jobs, the city is still relying on AK Steel as the "big brother" and the post office still lacks parking space. You also mentioned that if the right people were in charge of this town it could also rebound if AK closed. The work to land jobs that would need to be created to cushion the loss of AK should have been started in the 70's when the city saw AK downsizing.The urgency has been ignored by city leaders for over 35 years. IF started today, it would take at least 10 years to stock enough diversified jobs to resupply the pipeline with decent jobs to hit the ground running after an AK demise and, sadly, that would be a very optimistic timeline. The city is not now set up to attract any of the jobs we are talking about. That's another failed city leader subject that has been grown by incompetence in this/past city leadership.The players on Council has changed over the years, but the theme has always been the same- ignore the important stuff and do subtle fru fru crap that has set this city back 30 years behind our neighbors in thinking and developing. As long as the voters are happy placing stubborn, mindless, non-progressive, retreads in office, we will continue to experience this cluster we call a city government.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2009 at 11:05am
I understand from that SunCoke has not begun constructing their facility yet. This in part may be due to the city of Monroe filing a lawsuit.

From Christopher A Walker, Attorney for Monroe: "The lawsuit was filed in federal court in Cincinnati on Wednesday, 1/28."
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 10:53am
In their Feb. 5 conference call, Sunoco states that construction will take 15-18 months after the permit process is complete and that completion may extend past the end of 2010. Source: Les Lofton

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=99437&p=irol-calendarPast
MadisonMom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 4:24pm
Jonathan, I don't have time to check this site. Tell me where to go once I log onto it.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2009 at 12:14pm
The City of Monroe says it will spend however much it takes to stop the SunCoke Plant from being built in Middletown. As of now, they have spent $150,000 of tax payers' money with no end in sight.

To see a full story on the Monroe/SunCoke law suit.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2009 at 2:42pm

I don't understand why Monroe is doing this to us. Have they not noticed our high unemployment? Do they not realize that many in Monroe who are out of work, would be working if this plant got the green light.

Green Light = Economic Stimulus

arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2009 at 3:41pm
Perhaps no one in Monroe got the memo from Obama that said "Stimulus is Spending!"

Or perhaps they only got the memo from him that said "We are going to rebuild the economy by creating jobs with clean, renewable energy".

Earth to Monroe. That last one was just a lie to get elected.
“Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.” Benjamin Franklin - More at my Words of Freedom website.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2009 at 10:41pm

Why do people think that Monroe is doing this as a way of getting Middletown's goat? It may be that they are really concern about  more pollution and the health of our youth. I can understand this type of concern because being a pipefitter for 36 yrs,I have worked in 39 States and help build power plants,nuclear power plants,chemical,gas,paper mills,and steel mills and these plants were always built far away from communities. I laughed my head off when Mr. Tacker(whatever his name is) claimed his famous white glove test at the coke plant he visited, I assure you there is no such plant that exist in this world.

randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2009 at 11:11pm
The fact is still the same we need jobs in middletown badly,and Monroe does too. What they are doing is not helping the situation that our city has found it self in
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2009 at 11:50am
So am I the only one that just does not get a city that would build right next to the busiest highway in all of Ohio, incorporate itself as close as it could to a steel mill that has been here for over 100 years, and then pitch a total hissy fit about pollution from a new plant that meets all EPA regulations?
“Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.” Benjamin Franklin - More at my Words of Freedom website.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2009 at 11:52pm
I used the term "more pollution" there is a time when certain things must be ceased. The idea that AK has been here for a hundred yrs. tends to make me believe that there shouldn't be anything in this town. I can see people from out of town loading up the family to drive to middletown to see the mill. That would be a hoot.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2009 at 7:40am
While not a big fan of corporate America because of the internal games they play with their employees, I will do what I rarely do in defending a company like AK. (this is killing me!). They have really cleaned up their act since the 50's (with stack scrubbers and pressure from the EPA over the years). For you folks who weren't here in the 50's, old Armco Steel's blast furnace belched out the orange iron oxide that covered the cars. You could literally hose off the iron oxide dust on a daily basis back then. This new facility that is being proposed, seems to be advanced in light years from those days as to pollution. Personally, I welcome the job opportunities- any job opportunities, when I look at what the selection of jobs has been lowered to in this city. If it helps just a few folks attain a decent standard of living here, I'm for it. I like to see people prosper and be able to provide for their families. It's healthy for the town too. Conversely, this situation is EXACTLY what is wrong with the vision of this town. Once again, one company- AK, is this city's only focus. Getting that coke plant up and operational is our only focus. Why can't we be multi-focused on more than one thing at a time? Where are our other company developing/building scenarios? Other cities talk about multiple job opportunities. We wait forever, stagnated, with nothing to talk about, then, ONE lousy thing pops up and we talk it to death about how wonderful it is. Why?   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic