Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Tuesday, April 23, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Question for Paul Nagy or his election committee
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question for Paul Nagy or his election committee

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lfisler View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfisler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question for Paul Nagy or his election committee
    Posted: Oct 24 2007 at 10:40am
Mr. Nagy,
I sat through many city council meetings and watched you call for almost everybody from city manager, council members and dept. managers to either resign or be fired.   I watched a number of your speeches do nothing but cause bitter feelings to spread throughout the community and further help to fuel the mistrust and contempt of our city government.

My questions are these:

1. How do you intend to work with a city government that you want to eliminate?   How do you plan on repairing the damage that you've done?

2. And where in the City Charter does it state that you (as a directly elected Mayor) have the power to discharge the department heads that report to the city manager?  

3. And lastly, do you intend as a directly elected mayor to overthrow the city charter and create a strong mayor form of government?

To me, that's what your answers in the press to date have lead me to believe.  
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2007 at 11:54am
Having watched the Mayors forum on TV Middletown last night my own personal observations are:

1)  Fred Sennet looked like a deer caught in headlights and didn't really come forth with an great answers.

2)  While Mulligan is pretty polished and knows what he is talking about he lost my vote when he didn't come out and say "Yes we have to much section 8 housing in Middletown" and it needs to be reduced, when asked about it.

3)  While I agree with much of what Mr. Kidd had to say and he was pretty much a straight shooter and didn't pull any punches, i don't think he is electable as a Mayor.

4)  Mr. Wood definitely the most eloquent speaker of the bunch and a nice enough guy, but he reminds me of a Snake Oil salesman and personally I would not vote for him.

5)  While I don't always agree with Mr. Nagy when he made some of his comments before council, I doubt that the overthrowing of the government is eminent.  He was the only candidate last night that stated, "I have  a Plan",  But of course during 1 -2 minutes you can't get the particulars.  He was also the only candidate that stated that he was willing to come to your house and explain it to you.  He like Mr. Kidd doesn't sugar coat the situation and speaks his mind which many times will get him into trouble.  From what I saw last night personally I am leaning toward Mr. Nagy at this point.

Just to clear the air, I know none of these gentlemen personally and am not campaigning for any of them.  These are just my own personal observations.
lfisler View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfisler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2007 at 4:24pm
It's easy to say you have a plan and then not present it. His having a "plan" is scary if it includes any of what was in his earlier antics.  If I had a dollar for everyone who ever told me they had a plan and executed it, I'd be able to afford a nice dinner at a really expensive resturant.

Until I have the questions answered, I'll reserve my judgement and vote. After what Mr. Nagy has said at past council meetings, I would think that it would be very hard to garner support from these folks, let alone a large majority of the people who live here.  With five candidates running it is going to be hard to say that anyone is going to have a mandate out of this election.  The last thing this city needs is more of the same decesiveness and negativity.

We have some very good people working in this city.  It's extremely easy to sit on the outside and make the statements that have been made. 

And like you I haven't made up my mind, I'm not on anybody's campaign committee and I have not given money or support to any candidate.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2007 at 8:05pm

lfisler says, "If I had a dollar for everyone who ever told me they had a plan and executed it, I'd be able to afford a nice dinner at a really expensive resturant. "

In Middletown you might be able to buy a McDonalds hambuger, not a cheeseburger, a hamburger, with the dollar from anyone who has said they have a plan, if you are lucky.  Problem around here no one has a plan about what to do with anything.  I would venture Nagy has something going whether you like it or not is up to you.  Give him a call and see if he will actually meet with you and discuss it. 

Nagy may rub you the wrong way, but he just might be what this town needs to shake it up and get something done and if that means some heads must roll at City Hall so be it.  When was the last time anything came out of City Hall that moved this City forward.  Oh, I know the Pot hole Hotline, and now we have Customer Service Training,  maybe now someone will answer the phone when you call downtown.  Last time I called the water dept. had to try 4 or 5 times before anyone even answered the phone.

Performance and accountability over tenure sure sounds good to me.

lfisler View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfisler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2007 at 11:51am
For someone not tied to his campaign or committee as you suggested--sure sounds like you are campaigning for him to me.

I've posted the questions--if you know him, have him stop by here and answer them.  I'm not the only one wondering about this.  I've gotten lots of emails wanting to know the answers....

They are good questions that need to be answered.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2007 at 12:39pm

lfsler, you sound like an employee in fear of losing his/her job.  I have never met Mr. Nagy in person or talked to him by phone.

I have already stated that I don't always agree with his statements, but from what he said the other night he impressed me more than the other candidates. 

I also don't recall him saying he wanted to overthrow the city government, or eliminate it.  I beleive he and most of the Candidates all stated they were up to looking at reducing it, reorganizing it and also regionalizing and privatizing parts of it.  All of which I believe is a good idea.

Sounds like you are afraid of loosing your goose that laid the golden egg. 

Of your 3 questions above for #1 I don't think Nagy did anymore damage than did Wood or Kidd, Sennet he is happy with the status quo.

Question #3 is a bit ridicules as I don't recall any statements to that effect.

Question #2 I am not sure what the City Charter says at this time.

Fritz View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2007 at 12:03am
I've been checking this forum for a while, but this thread motivated me to register.

I'm voting for Nagy.  After watching him in the last two debates I feel like there is hope for Middletown. 
lfisler View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfisler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2007 at 2:46pm
Pacman said that I sound like a employee in fear of losing my job....

Well---I can say that I'm sitting here laughin'.--almost rolling on the floor laughing actually!    I worked at Procter and Gamble for 26 years.  Was a project manager there and am involved in a number of civic activities around Middletown and elsewhere.  Not a city employee....never will be.
However, I do have experience working for and with people who have stated negative things about a project or associates on the project.  The effect on the project and the people working on it was terrible.  It sucked the life out getting anything done.  The attitude on the project was "why work so hard when they are only going to see the bad in it".   And honestly, most left the project for more gratifying positions within and outside of P&G. 

If you read the city charter or had any idea how a city manager form of government works, you'd understand why I asked the questions I did. 

As for responding to this thread--I'm finished.  My questions weren't directed at you to answer for Mr. Nagy...since you stated you weren't on the election committee.  It's a free country--you can state your opinions and have at it.   As the title to the thread states the questions were directed to Mr. Nagy or someone on his election committee. 

Have a great discussion....oh---and someone let me know if Mr. Nagy ever answers the questions...
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2007 at 8:44pm
So you are saying in your 26 years at P & G, P & G never had a layoff, never had a re-organization, never had a merger that resulted in 1000's of jobs being lost.

Of course a quick look at Google proves that theory wrong.

Gee, that sounds a lot like what needs to be done to a lot of the smaller Townships and Cities that are struggling in Ohio. 

1)  Layoffs as Tax revenues are not keeping up with expenditures.

2)  Re-organization/Privatization of some City Government Services to make it more efficient, i.e. Public Works, Parks & Recreation, Engineering.

3)  Merger, gee that sounds like regionalization.  Such as a County run Fire Dept, County Run Sheriff/Police Force and a Countywide School System.

Yes I have lived in other states with City/County Governments that were run by a Manager and have seen more than one forced out by the City or County Council.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic