Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, March 28, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The old Lincoln school and their downtown

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The old Lincoln school and their downtown
    Posted: Mar 13 2019 at 10:28am
According to the Journal, it looks as if we older citizens might be losing yet another landmark in the city. The story indicates the city is planning on demolishing the old Lincoln school due to deteriorating conditions and as a result of finding no buyer for the building. The city history is disappearing before our eyes.

I understand the reasoning on eliminating these old structures like the Studio, the old Roosevelt Jr. High school and the old high school among others in town, especially if it is cost prohibitive to rehab the property and if there are no buyers, but it is hard seeing the old, historic Middletown being quickly eliminated with nothing but empty lots as a replacement. Hell, I still question whether there is interest in the buildings that attracted a buyer, were saved and the new buyer offers something that most citizens have no interest in. The city is starting to have many "voids" within our borders as a result of the eradication of old buildings. The impact wouldn't be so obvious if it weren't for the fact that the replacements aren't keeping up with the eliminations. Where are the replacement buildings and new homes that would occupy the vacant land caused by the rampant demolishing program? According to a recent document received by this poster, the city owns so much property in town and the surrounding area, it is solidly in the real estate business for many years to come. Why own more? What is the advantage to this thinking? What will Middletown leaders do with all the property they own? Is there a plan from the city manager for usage for all the city owns that has yet to be revealed?

Another Journal story tells us about their downtown area and the progress being made by the owners of the old library on First Ave., the old J.C. Penney building with Indigo Pass "rooms to rent for downtown stays" (???), the Goetz Tower, the Swire Inn, and the old senior center as well as the cost to rehab the city building to the tune of a half millions dollars or more.

Having driven by these locations, I don't seem to share the same enthusiasm for progress being made that is indicated in the Journal story. Anyone see any activity at the old library, the Goetz Tower or the old senior's center? Is this yet another Eddie Richter embellishment story that is brought to our attention occasionally to entice us to believe in the downtown area? Doesn't appear to have worked in the past and is probably not going to excite in the future. Just don't know what the point is of doing these occasional stories. I would guess most aren't impressed. Does this information benefit anyone living here if no real progress has been made?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
MattR View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MattR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2019 at 11:13am
When every city project needs a journal puff piece to explain that it isn't really, not really, a scam, that should tell you what you're looking at.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic