Forum Name: About Middletown
Forum Description: History and information about Middletown, Ohio
URL: http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4180
Printed Date: Mar 28 2024 at 11:19am

Topic: Armco Park
Posted By: Doug65
Subject: Armco Park
Date Posted: Oct 17 2011 at 11:09am
I'm doing some research on Armco Park and wondering if anybody knows the exact location of
Bunny Hollow Picnic Grove? Is this down were the Tennis Courts are in Miami U.?

Thanks for any input,

Doug

Replies:
Posted By: LMAO
Date Posted: Oct 17 2011 at 11:39am
I thought before it was named Armco Park it was called Bunny Hollow?

Date Posted: Oct 17 2011 at 11:56am
From what I can find out it was a section in Armco Park. I believe it was the main picnic area
people went to. It was actually Cooch's Woods before Armco bought it.

Doug

Posted By: VietVet
Date Posted: Oct 17 2011 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Doug65 Doug65 wrote:

I'm doing some research on Armco Park and wondering if anybody knows the exact location of
Bunny Hollow Picnic Grove? Is this down were the Tennis Courts are in Miami U.?

Thanks for any input,

Doug

Correct Doug65. Years ago, I visited the site close to the tennis courts and saw the old concrete bases used for the rides that were there at one time. Don't know if they are still there or not. There is a photo of the entrance to Bunny Hollow (same as Armco Park), dated 1922, on the Middletown Library Lens. comprised of old photos from George Crout's collection. Punch in Bunny Hollow Armco Park and select the Lens site. The stone pillars for the entrance to Armco Park are still located by the bank, karate club, power station (old Lawson's store) on old Manchester Rd. (in case you weren't aware of that) I remember when Armco gave the park land to Miami U. and played in the Midd. marching band for the dedication by the white building at the entrance. (Verity Lodge I think) Went to Miami- Midd in 1966/67-first year it was open. Just some memories thrown in.

Date Posted: Oct 17 2011 at 12:36pm
I have located the the pilars also and followed the road into the park and kind of figured that maybe
Bunny Hollow.
I moved here about a year ago. I was wondering if they have a historic society for Middletown?

Posted By: middletownscouter
Date Posted: Oct 17 2011 at 1:04pm
They do. There is one downtown though i believe now it is only open by appointment. Also there is the Canal Museum which is open every Sunday afternoon, and usually Mr. Sherron is working there each week. At 95, he has quite a bit of information about the history of Middletown.

You could also check out the Ohio room at the Middletown Public Library.

Posted By: Redleg
Date Posted: Nov 17 2014 at 4:14pm
Doug...as I remember the place, Bunny Hollow was up the hill opposite (north)of the present-day tennis courts. Somehow, through the years, folks have been calling the park Bunny Hollow when, in fact, it and Melody Meadows were picnic grounds within the park. David Fall, who is on Facebook, is an expert on the park as his family lived there.

Posted By: jims1
Date Posted: Nov 17 2014 at 10:05pm
Hi Doug, I do not know how much this will help you, but in our backyard, we have what was the guard or gate house to Bunny Hollow. We are told the Falls moved the building to this home when they moved here when Dave Fall was a teenager. We were curious about the original location as well, never have pinpointed it. Please feel free to visit us.

Posted By: Redleg
Date Posted: Dec 09 2014 at 10:03pm
Are you referring to a small white shed type structure that was just inside the gate and to the left?   

Print Page | Close Window