FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Price goes to Michigan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Price goes to Michigan
    Posted: Dec 11 2009 at 10:32am
Steve Price, the former Middletown City School Superintendent is in line for a job as the Saginaw, Michigan school superintendent. It did not take long for price to be considered for a new position
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2009 at 10:43am
But he's in competition with 6 or 7 other candidates so Dr. Stevie isn't a lock as yet. The Saginaw folks would be smart to contact some of the residents (not the Midd. school board) of this town to receive the truth about his performance and focus before they consider hiring him, but they won't. Otherwise, they'll find out what we realized after 7 years and the school board will oust him there also.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2009 at 11:25am
They don't take kindly to staged student walkouts in Michigan either so he better walk on rice paper IF he gets the job.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2009 at 12:04pm
If he plays his cards right, former Middletown School Supertendent Steve Price will be hearing the Saginaw High School Fight song regularly.

The failed administrator is looking for a job in a place so far north of here, I would hate to be there now.

Good luck Dr. Price, I hope you beat the other 2 superintendent candidates.

And if you get the job, may the cold weather chill down your temperament.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2009 at 12:08pm
This reminds me about the process we used when we got Dr. Price. According to a recent Middletown Jornal editorial, the school board is not making the vetting process very open. Here is what the Journal said:

"In order to keep the taxpayers — who pay the district’s salaries and bills — from learning who has applied to replace Steve Price as Middletown’s next superintendent, the board has been going through an elaborate charade with the consultant it hired to assist in the search."

I only hope that the school board realizes that if we hire another buffoon, they will take the full brunt of the decision, as they should for keeping it a secret.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2009 at 2:43pm
I just love our school board members,I really do. Every time they turn around they make themselves the object of laughter and ridicule and some times the target for pure hatred.

What causes that I wonder ? Confused 
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2009 at 11:35pm
I have been to Saginaw. Middletown is no Saginaw. Not even close.

Saginaw superintendent candidates promise to live in district

By Tom Gilchrist | The Saginaw News
December 08, 2009, 10:09PM

One candidate for the Saginaw School District superintendent’s job on Tuesday night vowed to become involved in the community. Another stressed the importance of keeping kids involved in school.
Steve Price, one of two candidates interviewed by the district Board of Education on Tuesday, scored points with the board after saying he didn’t equate a safer school with a higher number of students expelled from classes.

Board member Norman C. Braddock found Price’s approach appealing.

“I liked the comment you made about the fact that when we see our student-discipline numbers go down, that’s a good thing,” Braddock told Price when Price asked several questions to the board.

“Our goal is not to kick kids out, but to keep ’em in, because by kicking them out all we do is feed the streets, and when we feed the streets, we feed the crime,” Braddock said.

Price, 54, worked for seven years as superintendent of Middletown City Schools in Ohio before leaving that job in June after reaching what he calls a “mutual settlement agreement” with the Board of Education.
“When I started doing more research on Saginaw, I kept thinking ‘This is Middletown, This is Middletown, This is Middletown,’ because the issues you are facing — with achievement, with the budget, with some of the student achievement gap issues, some of the race issues — those are the issues that I’ve been dealing with,” Price said.

Saginaw board members also interviewed Robert T. Becker Jr., 52, assistant superintendent for operations for the Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools in Virginia, on Tuesday.
Both Becker and Price told board members they plan to live in the Saginaw district if hired as superintendent.

“A superintendent has got to be the face of the school,” said Becker, a 1975 Arthur Hill High School graduate.

“You need to be at whatever event is there. You need to be at the athletic banquet, you need to be at the plays, the musicals, the celebrations, the fifth-grade graduation to middle school.

“You need to be at cultural events within the city. ... A superintendent should be involved in civic organizations, and if you’re not living within the community and you’re having to travel, to get home, there’s going to be a conflict.

“You live here, you work here, you rub shoulders with your constituents. You’re part of the community.”
Becker told the board of his role in working with his district custodial operations manager, director of technology and maintenance supervisor to cut staff last school year to reduce the budget by $3.2 million in the Williamsburg-James City district.

The Saginaw board will conclude its interviews of superintendent candidates Thursday, questioning Carlton D. Jenkins at 5:30 p.m. and Frederick C. Clarke at 7 p.m
Board President Ronald S. Spess said the board will meet Monday at 5:30 p.m. to pare the number of candidates down to “two or three” finalists. The board interviewed the first two candidates, Jose L. Valderas and Pamela Ross McClain, last week.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2009 at 6:58am
I like the gloss over- "a mutual settlement agreement" so says Price. The school board wanted him gone and a sizable percentage of the community wanted him gone. Price made some comments to the Saginaw school board about discipline? I find that ironic. It wasn't until Sauter mentioned incorporating better discipline that Price even made an attempt. One of the downfalls of the Middletown city schools during Price's tenure, is that they got away from the discipline and turned the schools over to the kids. His "feel good about yourself/ give the kid several chances/recognize diversity" program doesn't work. These kids need and are begging for some structure/guidance/discipline in their lives, not coddling, regardless of their diversities/differences. Alot of them aren't getting these things at home from old mom and dad.

Hey!- there's still alot of competition for Dr. Stevie to overcome before he's awarded this position. You never know- he may stike out on this one. Let's hope Dr. Stevie lands........ somewhere.

And now, another SNL "Mr. Obvious" moment........

"I like the comment you made about the fact that when we see our student-discipline numbers go down, that's a good thing", Saginaw board member Norman C.Braddock said.(about a Price comment) In a word- brilliant, Norman.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2009 at 8:35am
From what I've heard Price's track record on discipline was terrible and this is what many teachers disliked about him the most.  That he would not support discipline efforts in the classroom.

But his track record on passing levies . . .
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2009 at 9:32am
Originally posted by swohio75 swohio75 wrote:

“When I started doing more research on Saginaw, I kept thinking ‘This is Middletown, This is Middletown, This is Middletown,’...” Price said.
Please allow me to translate!!!

"When I started doing more research on Saginaw, I kept thinking: This school board seems just as gullible as Middletown's!  I bet they'll believe that dropping from 450th academically out of 612 school districts to 601 out of 612 in seven years is 'continuous improvement' too!  I bet they'll give me early contract extensions with big fat raises just for making excuses just like those dummies on the MCSD school board did!" Price thought.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2009 at 11:48am
Funny but rings true stuff Mr. Presta.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic