FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Not All Schools Seeking Stimulus Dollars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not All Schools Seeking Stimulus Dollars
    Posted: Jan 25 2010 at 11:20am
Taken from the Associated Press

Published: January 24, 2010

HAMILTON, Ohio—More than half of Ohio school districts decided against seeking federal stimulus dollars, worried about government mandates and the future of such funding.

Fifty-seven percent of Ohio’s 600-plus public school districts decided not to join the Ohio Department of Education’s application for the government’s “Race to the Top” funding.

The government stimulus packaged included $4.3 billion in competitive education grants for states, who must amend education laws and policies to compete.

Suzanne Larsen, president of the teachers’ union at Middletown schools, which did not seek the money, says teachers were worried about what would happen when the one-time money disappeared.

A.J. Huff, spokesman for Madison schools in southwest Ohio, says the district opted out because of uncertainty and concerns about the money’s effect on union contracts

Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2010 at 11:41am
Suzanne probably the biggest reason is:

"Badin, Lakota, Madison, Middletown and Ross are among the 57 percent of Ohio public school districts opting out of the grant competition. Some districts are not on board because their teachers unions have a problem with a provision that ties their pay to student performance."

Makes you wonder who runs the schools.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2010 at 12:20pm
The Teacher's Union will never want pay for performance or merit pay. There are too many reasons why they wouldn't do as well being graded on their performance. They want the guaranteed tenure/ incremental pay increases based on time accrued/ additional schooling- masters degree pay. I would imagine that JOE TAXPAYER would want to see the merit/pay for performance system used because there is a perception that SOME- SOME educators just wait for tenure, relax and basically retire on the job, preventing the taxpayer from ever getting their money's worth for the bulk of the educators career. The precedent was set years ago, when the first school board gave in to most union demands, resulting in what appears to be a lopsided negotiation session each time the contract is re-negotiated. For the correction to happen, school boards are going to have to start representing the taxpayers and stop rubber stamping the union demands each time. There will be some unhappy union campers if this were to happen.
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2010 at 12:37pm
Hey Vet maybe we should opt out of the next tax levy?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2010 at 12:59pm
I have never opted out on school levies but have expressed my displeasure with a no vote. I don't believe in rewarding poor performance by giving more money for more poor performance and the continuation of business as usual. Something positive would need to change for me to raise my property taxes. Since the 70's, I've seen no real positive change. I figure that's been long enough for them to have made improvement. I would like to see the schools do well, but with the demographics of the community now, I don't see that happening for a long time.
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2010 at 5:24pm
Merit Pay would never work in the Schools. All it would do is make some Citizens falsely believe the System was working and the only ones to get Merit Pay would be the 'Pet" Teachers,

It may sound good, but there is too many Devils in the Details.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2010 at 8:08am
Originally posted by wasteful wasteful wrote:

Suzanne probably the biggest reason is:

"Badin, Lakota, Madison, Middletown and Ross are among the 57 percent of Ohio public school districts opting out of the grant competition. Some districts are not on board because their teachers unions have a problem with a provision that ties their pay to student performance."

Makes you wonder who runs the schools.
Wasteful,
I am not doubting you, and I have no idea who "Suzanne" is, but I question her source.  To the best of my knowledge, Badin has never had a teachers' (or any other) union in their operation.  I could be wrong, though.

One thing that I am fairly sure of:  As far as Catholic schools in this area go, the Archdiocese of Cincinnati runs the schools!!! 
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2010 at 8:33am

Millions of dollars at stake, but some schools opt out

School officials don’t want teacher pay tied to student performance.

By Marie Rossiter, Staff Writer
11:40 PM Saturday, January 23, 2010

MIDDDLETOWN — The federal government has fired the starting gun for an educational “Race to the Top,” with thousands of dollars waiting for the winners. But a number of local districts decided not to show up at the starting line.

Badin, Lakota, Madison, Middletown and Ross are among the 57 percent of Ohio public school districts opting out of the grant competition. Some districts are not on board because their teachers unions have a problem with a provision that ties their pay to student performance.

The Ohio Department of Education announced Jan. 12 that the state was preparing its application to potentially receive up to $400 million in federal stimulus dollars for the grant program. And President Barack Obama said he’ll ask Congress for more than $1 billion in fiscal 2011 to continue the project.

“The ‘Race to the Top’ grant provides Ohio with an opportunity to compete for federal funds that will help us further the education reform initiatives outlined by Gov. Ted Strickland and the Ohio General Assembly in (the state budget),” said Deborah Delisle, state superintendent of public instruction.

For some local districts, the opportunity for additional funds is too tempting to ignore during tough economic times.

“An administrative team reviewed the grant and realized that we already are doing a lot of it and it was a good fit for our district,” said Hamilton Schools spokeswoman Joni Copas.

But other districts ticked off numerous reasons for not filing the paperwork.

“(The application) required the signatures of Madison’s key stakeholders, including the superintendent, school board president, and teachers’ union president,” said Madison Local Schools spokeswoman A.J. Huff. “At the deadline for submission, the Madison Local School District did not have the endorsement of all necessary parties in order to move forward.”

Strings attached to money worries schools

The federal government would like to award thousands of dollars in grant money to local school districts facing state budget cuts. But some Butler County school officials say the federal “Race to the Top” grant initiative is not worth the trouble of the application.

The program, which is estimated to cost more than $4 billion, is being funded by federal stimulus dollars, which many worry is a limited source. But President Barack Obama said he intends to ask Congress for an additional $1.3 billion next year to keep the fund going.

Teachers, however, are concerned this funding won’t be approved and question what that could mean to continuing any new programs created by the initiative.

“Because this is one-time ‘soft money,’ we are worried about what will happen when the money disappears,” said Suzanne Larsen, president of the Middletown Teachers Association. “Our history is that when grant money has dried up, innovations go away.”

Each of the 266 Ohio public schools on Ohio’s application to the U.S. Department of Education for up to $400 million in federal aid signed a document called a memorandum of understanding, promising to follow 22 requirements. The superintendent, school board and teachers’ union had to commit to the plan.

Within the grant application was a memorandum of understanding outlining the initiative’s long list of guidelines which, government officials say, will help raise student achievement by standardizing what they learn in the classroom.

“Fifty different states doing their own thing has led to the dumbing down of our schools,” said Arne Duncan, U.S. Secretary of Education. “ ‘Race to the Top’ encourages collaboration to reverse this trend.”

Peggy McCluskey, Edgewood curriculum director, said her district sought the money because it already was embracing many of the changes the initiative is encouraging, such as changes in student assessment and teacher collaboration. However, she added there are still some reservations.

“Part of us felt we would be crazy not to try for additional funds,” McCluskey said. “But we just don’t know exactly how much we’re talking about here, and there could be some issues with teacher contracts in the future. We will see what happens.”

While the state could receive anywhere from $200 million to $400 million over a four-year period, it is not clear how much of that would trickle down to local districts.

Half of Ohio’s money would go to its Department of Education to start new programs and improve existing programs related to statewide reform. From there, the state would then decide how to divide the money based on how many students qualify for Title I funds — which is determined by the number of low-income students, per-pupil expenditures and children needing assistance in language arts and math skills.

The vague funding formula and the program’s desire to link teacher evaluation and compensation to student performance worries many local educators.

“The Madison Education Association did not feel that we could endorse the ‘Race to the Top’ grant initiative,” said Tina Bowling, Madison Education Association president. “We found that the memorandum of understanding left many unclear expectations and the potential to adversely impact the negotiated collective bargaining agreement. In our current position, as a district rated ‘excellent’ by the Ohio Department of Education, the MEA didn’t feel as though the ‘Race to the Top’ initiative was the right fit to move our district to the next level.”

Larsen said studies show connecting teacher compensation and student test scores is not only unfair, but also unreliable.

“When it comes to these tests, we’re talking about a two-and-half-hour window to perform,” Larsen said. “If something happens either before or during the test, and the student doesn’t perform well, that is something we don’t have control over and doesn’t necessarily demonstrate a student’s ability.”

Ross Schools Superintendent Greg Young said he and the school board president were prepared to sign off on the agreement, but the Ross Education Association executive committee was against it, not only because of the possibility of linking student performance and pay, but also because it required teachers to be evaluated every year.

“This is contradictory to most negotiated contracts where only beginning teachers are evaluated every year,” Young said. “More experienced teachers tend to be evaluated every three to five years depending on the district.”

But, with Madison and Middletown asking voters to approve levies in the near future, should districts feel an obligation to take advantage of any funding available?

Madison spokeswoman and grant writer A.J. Huff said it’s not that simple.

“We never want to turn down funds,” Huff said. “Because this grant was presented directly to superintendents, it has had more public spotlight. But I see hundreds of grant applications cross my desk and not all of them are a good fit. We felt ‘Race to the Top’ was simply not a good fit because of the uncertainty and contract concerns. Madison continues to look for other funding opportunities beyond this.”

Larsen said asking for a levy and applying for this grant are two separate issues.

“It’s very important to have enough funds to have quality programming,” she said. “Quite honestly, the money we would have likely wound up with would not have made a dent in what we need. Without the levy on the ballot, we are going to have to make some difficult decisions.”

The U.S. Department of Education plans to notify states about their application status by April.

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2010 at 9:20am
"Badin, Lakota, Madison, Middletown and Ross are among the 57 percent of Ohio public school districts opting out..."
Wasteful,
As I mentioned, I was NOT doubting you, but the author of this story simply erred.  Like Middletown's Fenwick High School and John XXIII Elementary School, Hamilton Badin is NOT part of any public school system.  The Archdiocese of Cincinnati has its own administrative staff (Superintendent: Bro. Joseph Kamis, SM).
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2010 at 9:58am
It's the Middletown Journal Mike............jeeezzz what do you want accuracy?LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic