FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Community Revitalization Property Blitz

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Community Revitalization Property Blitz
    Posted: Apr 08 2010 at 11:29am
Taken form the  Update to City Council from the City Manager April 4, 2010

As Council may recall, our Consolidated Plan targets a different neighborhood each year for improvement. Douglass Park is the targeted area this year. Along with the above outlined KMB activities, the Community Revitalization Department is pleased to announce a partnership with Berachah Baptist Church to work on code enforcement repairs. The church has skilled trades people in the congregation and they would like to complete repair on approximately 50 houses during the four day period of Thursday, May 13 to Sunday, May 16, 2010.

If you would like details of the process, read on:

1) Code enforcement staff will identify up to 50 homes in the Douglass neighborhood that require code enforcement repairs to return the house to compliance with city property maintenance codes. These projects should have repairs requiring material costs less than $1,000 per house and be the homeowner’s primary residence.

2) Code enforcement staff will approach the owner of the property and discuss the repairs required. Under this project, the City will utilize CDBG funds and a grant from the Middletown Community Foundation to provide free materials to low income
homeowners to make required repairs. Berachah Church will supply the labor and expertise to complete the repairs.

3) If the homeowner would like to be part of the project, code enforcement staff will help homeowners complete the required paperwork for HUD compliance and release of the City and the Church from liability.

4) On Friday, April 9, 2010, the City will send over to the church a list of as many of the 50 project houses as we can complete by that date with the listing of required repairs and our listing of materials to complete repairs.

5) On Friday, April 16, 2010, the City will send over any of the remaining 50 project houses that were not sent on April 9.

6) Berachah Church tradesmen will then drive by each house and review the repairs and materials list and request any variations from the City list that they believe is necessary.

7) City staff will work with Berachah to complete an agreed material list for each house.

8) During the week of May 10-14, City staff will purchase the required materials for all 50 houses.

9) The projects will be staged at the Community Center multipurpose room by address. In addition, the City and Berachah will develop a list of standard materials that can be purchased in bulk for use, such as paint brushes, rollers, etc.

10) Starting on Thursday, May 13, most of the Community Revitalization staff will be at the Community Center in support of Berachah volunteers. Berachah volunteers must each sign a City volunteer waiver. Community Revitalization staff will be given comp time for time donated on Saturday and Sunday.

11) Berachah volunteers will load projects by house and go out into the neighborhood to complete repairs. If there are unforeseen problems, building inspectors Larry Tuttle and Tom Huiet will be on call to go to the project site and direct work.

12) When repairs are completed, we will have Com. Rev. pickup trucks available to pick up construction debris for proper removal and disposal. We may use the jail trustees for this task.

13) Berachah would like to have a celebration cook out/ gathering at the Community Center and Douglass Park Sunday evening May 16th for their congregation and the members of the Douglass neighborhood celebrating all the good work achieved over the four day period. Many other things are still taking shape. This project is one example of the types of projects that help improve our community image. If anyone has access to materials, volunteers, or anything else that would improve this project, please contact Doug Adkins, Director of Community Revitalization @ 513.425.1856 or via email douga@cityofmiddletown.org

Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
NRS View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2010 at 2:20pm
Randy -

Thanks for your posting on this on-going HUD-assisted program.  I'm glad to see that the partnership I formed with Pastor Lamar Ferrell and Berachah Baptist Church and the City in 2007 is continuing.

Prior to this year there were three major "home makeover" projects, the construction of a picnic shelter in Damon Park, repairs made to the Salvation Army facility building nearby plus rehab work at the Dream Center -- all projects in low- to moderate-income census tracts.  Former City Councilman Tony Marconi worked closely with Skip Batten and myself during this time frame.

I'm equally glad that Miss Judy is promoting this private-public partnership now.  In 2008 no mention was made of the good work of Berachah Baptist Church and the Community Development Division despite several requests requests by me.

Also, in my last year as a City employee in 2008 there was nearly $500,000 in CDBG plus Federal Home Loan Bank - Cincinnati funds made available to People Working Cooperatively to undertake hundreds of minor rehab projects for very low-income elderly/disabled home owners.  I'm glad to see that at least one-tenth or $50,000 is committed by the City this year.

Positive public information reports greatly helps to educate the public.  I only wish that Miss Judy was equally concerned in promoting good projects like this in 2008!!

WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic