FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mercy!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mercy!
    Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 11:28am
Today's Journal...

An estimated 2,000 visit Pendleton Art Center during First Friday event

Markle had a treat in store for the visitors, and for artist Sam Ashworth in particular. Friday was his 70th birthday, and he received a proclamation from Mayor Larry Mulligan declaring April 1 “Sam Ashworth Day.”
Using that as their cue, several kids from the Performing Arts Academy sang a song with that title. It was a spoof of the song “Beethoven Day” from “You’re A Good Man, Charlie Brown,” which the group is rehearsing for a summer production. The lyrics included jokes about commercializing Ashworth’s birthday, and the kids wore shirts that said “Sam Ashworth Day,” with his picture.

Wow, Robinette sure did pour it on with the promo. Nice little gimmick with the Ashworth Day proc. /birthday skit. Nice start. Shouldn't surprise anyone with the numbers as this is new and provokes interest. The real test will be if they keep coming back in these numbers a year or two from now and if they can stock the building with artists who will stay long-term as opposed to a revolving door scenario. If this is to succeed, I would imagine it will be the out of town element who will carry it. Doubt if there is enough interest in Middletown to keep it viable.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 11:45am
Wow !!! Sam Ashworth day !! Thats pretty cool ! I think that was very nice of Mayor Mulligan to make that proclamation,perhaps we could have a Sam Ashworth holiday,close the schools and city office's for a day.Wonder if they could rename the PAC and call it 'The Sam Ashworth Art Center"? Has a ring to it ! That would surely bring in the artist and tourist. Clap
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 11:56am
I question the 2000 figure..probably grossly inflated.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 12:16pm
It was the tried and proven tactic of AnnMort accounting of the attendance. N= actual number of visitors. Q= the fictious factor that did not attend but used to inflate the number of attendance. Formula is (Q)(N), which in this case is Q= 20, N=100, and therefore the infictous result is 2000. 6,000 vote in an election in Middletown, 1/3 of that attend a birthday party at eat cake and ice cream to visit 10 shops? Sorry, don't think so. Its called the Mort Hyberbole Equation, used during the balloon festival, Midfest, and PAC soft and hard openings.  
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 12:21pm
I attended last nights event at the Pendleton Arts Center and was pleasantly surprised by the turnout. I didn't arrive until after 7 PM so I was completely oblivious to the previous occurances concerning the Sam Ashworth Day and the rest. Since Sam is a friend, let me say that I think such an honor is well deserved. Whether you agree with him or not, Sam has worked for the betterment of this city and I applaud the volunteer hours he has spent in service to this city. Here's to the best for the new arts center.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 12:47pm
TonyB, you know Mr. Ashworth better than I. Never have talked to the man. I did hear some potentially disturbing information about his involvement with the Historical Society in town. Don't know for sure if it is true though.

According to a source, George Crout, past historian for the city for many years, left a sizable amount of money to the Historical Society. (close to a million or so, I believe). Allegedly, under Mr. Ashworth's time, all but approx. 200 grand, has been spent, but there is no accountability as to where it went. All of this is alleged of course, with no proof having been presented. I hope this is not the case. It would foster ideas of impropriety by certain members of the H. Society.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 1:20pm
Vet - while I have known Sam for many years, I had not actually seen him in at least 10 years until the evening of the Mayor's speech in front of the PAC. I can't speak to any of his involvement in the Historical Society. My association with Sam comes through the Opera House. I also hate innuendo, allegations, personal attacks, that kind of character asassination. Believe me, I am not the person who can look at anyone and judge what they have done or why. I've learned that I have a big enough job looking to my own behavior to worry about anyone else's.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 3:15pm
TonyB- if the allegations are true, your friend has some explaining to do as to money accountability. Personal attacks, character assassinations-perhaps, although I'm guilty of that. Allegations, innuendos- sometimes that is what gets the ball rolling for investigations and sometimes those investigations lead to wrongdoing and to convictions. IMO, they serve some purpose. Stimulates investigation that would otherwise not be done.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 3:58pm
Vet - allegations and innuendo serve no purpose when done for personal reasons. If someone has done wrong, they can rest assured that those wrongs will come back to haunt them. However, if you don't know, and engage in speculation and  gossip about things without proof it hurts not only the person gossipped about but the gossipper as well. I have an agreement with myself about this; be immaculate with your word. When I follow that simple rule, I find my path easier.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 4:39pm
TonyB- I'll choose to let this rest. I will agree to disagree at this time. It is not worth the time to debate.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 5:23pm
I have known Sam for a few years, always have liked him and found him to be a very cool guy and fun to be around. Know nothing negative about him. Sam + Ms.G is a pretty good time imo.  I wish that I had been there last night. Probably to crowded for me lol, and this spider usually gets stepped on when he ventures into the former downtown area.

Happy bithday to him--good luck to PAC
Will be nice to see our investment play out as hoped.
The area is looking up!

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 7:37am
Vet, was there not ahearing scheduled in March regarding the vault? I have read or seen nothing in the Journal regarding the outcome. Can you provide an update as a form of curiousity for many?
Richard Saunders View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 8:18am
2,000 people?  I have to wonder where all of these visitors hitched their wagons.  One is in for a long walk from thier vehicle when 200 people show up at city hall and that famous forum is surrounded by parking lots.  There must have been a traffic jam at Broad and Central unseen since JFK appeared at the Manchester Inn.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 8:26am
Mr. TonyB:  What has been Mr. Ashworth's means of support these many years in Middletown?  No one seems to know, yet he seems to have lived quite the high life.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 10:40am
Mr Saunders - You seem to think I either know or care how others conduct their life, I do not. I am not Mr Ashworth's confessor not am I his apologist. If you are so concerned with this question, why don't you go directly to Mr. Ashworth and ask him.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 10:57am
acclaro- yep....saw a letter from the party who lodged the complaint. It was written by Theodore J. Hornyak, Investigator for the Department of Commerce, State of Ohio. The letter states that the Ohio Cemetery Dispute Resolution Committee reviewed the complaint filed against the Midd. Cemetery on March 10th. They closed the complaint after finding the cemetery operator (the city), will allow citizens to volunteer at the cemetery if a waiver is signed and that a cemetery board has been created which can raise funds. Nothing about the vault. Reviewed by Ann M. Petit, Superintendent. That's it. Didn't really make the city "tow the line" did it? Kinda weak and powerless on the response, isn't it? It was my understanding that this cemetery commission is really powerless to make the city do anything, that they could only "recommend" a solution to the disputes by the citizens. That being the case, seems this commission is pretty worthless in my opinion. An exercise in futility to lodge a complaint with this cluster.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 11:15am
Originally posted by TonyB TonyB wrote:

Mr Saunders - You seem to think I either know or care how others conduct their life, I do not. I am not Mr Ashworth's confessor not am I his apologist. If you are so concerned with this question, why don't you go directly to Mr. Ashworth and ask him.
I beg your pardon, sir.  Apparently I incorrectly assumed when you stated that you had "known Sam for many years," that you actually had known Sam for many years at least well enough to know what he did for a living.  Nothing more, nothing less.  I shan't trouble you again.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 11:19am
Vet, thank you for the update. I had not heard anything. That was the outcome as I expected from that forum, hardly worth the effort. No teeth to it. Thanks again.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 12:28pm
Vet - there is no disagreement. I really have no idea about Sam's involvement with the Historical Society so I have no basis to speculate.

Mr Saunders, actually, I think it is I who owe you the apology. After reading that post, I realized that I actually don't know or don't remember what Sam does or did for a living. (My bet is on the second one) While your assumption that I knew Sam is correct, the when I knew Sam might be the reason for the misunderstanding. While I do stand by the assertion that if you want to know the answer to any question, you should ask that person; always remembering that they have the perfect right to decline to answer. My post was harsh and not called for.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 2:36pm
Mr. B:
Please just let the subject drop.
I was not inquiring about the manner in which Mr. Ashworth "conducts his life."  Nor do I wish to either meet or engage in conversation with the chap, as I have very little interest in him save the oddity about how one with no visible means of support rates such acclaim in this city, including having a day proclaimed "Sam Ashworth Day" in his honor.

Since you stated that you had known him for some time, I merely inquired about his line of work out of curiousity.  Please do not turn an innocent inquiry into something nefarious.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 11:41pm
Is John Charles Daly still alive???

If so, perhaps we could invite him here for a for a special game of "What's My Line?" starring Sammie Boy as the featured guest. LOL LOL LOL

Council chambers would make a perfect set, and it's not being used on the first Tuesday of any month between 5:30 and 6:30, and it has TV cameras and everything!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic