FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Agenda 2008- Journal Article-Dec 28

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
MadisonMom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2008 at 11:18pm
As a small business owner... here is what I see....

Y'all have good jobs, great pay. You can say what you want. Some of you are anonymous users. So am I! To protect the innocent!

I agree Ms. G. came into a bad situation, so let's blame her, right? WRONG.......City Council has been a mess for the last several years. Bickering, nondecisiveness (I made that word up)m, personal stuff. Like I said before,,,,,,,,,I only own a business in Middletown, I don't live in the city limits. I can't vote on anything in town, BUT I DO PAY CITY TAXES...... So what am I to do? You guys voted them in!!

The Towne Mall owners made their own mess. You can not blame City Council for that one. I am thoroughly disgusted with the way the Towne Mall owners have taken care of their own clients. Oh, yeah, they have a new manager. Has anyone heard from him?

So do you think a MAN should have been the City Manager? Is it truly a Man's World? I think, by your postings here, that the men on City Council are too concerned about their "other interests" besides the city. How many women are on council, how many men?     

Now.........how are you gonna get money the city needs for the actual "foundation" of the city? Such as street repair, etc? There is no way on God's green earth that a levy will be passed in the next couple of years. Have any of you actually seen the budget and know where tax money is being allotted?

I know it's late, but that's when I'm at my best!
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2008 at 10:45pm
We all can't be wrong in our way of thinking,just ask our bordering cities Franklin and Monroe.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2008 at 10:11pm
"Narcissistic nabobs of negativity"- Wow Spider- I like that prolific poetic patch of journalism! Excellent labeling on your part! Yea, I kind of like calling it like it is rather than the crap that this particular article references as to Gilleland's happiness. Same posts attacking the same people, you say?? Why would it change as the same people keep making the same rose-colored glass statements about this town when everyone who is half way observant sees another, less flattering picture."Jealous resentment"?- No, no resentment over not being involved.Not too smart to be involved with what you believe to be the wrong people with the wrong ideas/focus to rebuild the city.You can't work with these people if you don't think like them. Who's fooling who here, Spider. Non- constructive thinking at committee meetings?- Are you actually implying that your "good guys" representing the city have come up with constructive thinking? Have you not been paying attention at all to the decisions that they are making on behalf of the city? None have been positive. Hence, " the pounding will continue until correct thinking is achieved". Agreed, the new city manager walked into a brutal situation. And, after one year, she has demonstrated that she is fading and has decided to become one of them, the ruiners of the city. " Could do it quicker with some help"?- You are quick to pull the trigger on us "nabobs of negativity", but have you ever taken the time to observe your city boys in action when they deal with the regular citizens on a committee or when speaking to Council? It is rather obvious that they don't value our opinion or that they want us there. We ask too many embarrassing questions and delve too deeply into their little world.They must give a little respect to get a little respect. Works both ways and they're not living up to their end of it.Keep lobbying for their side. Lord knows they need all the help they can muster as most of the town's citizens think they are worthless.Wonder what you see in them??
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2008 at 1:03pm
Spider, Lets see Dayton can ask for $1.5 million to chase Hookers around town and Middletown can't request money for Public Works Projects.  Talk about pie in the sky.  You really think Middletown is going to turn around without outside help.  You got an extra $120,000,000.00 to just redo and improve the roads in your back pocket.  Don't fix your infrastructure the city dies or increase taxes to an exorbitant level the city dies, take your pick Spider.  Come on Middletown will never have enough tax revenue to even make a dent in the road situation with 22% living below the poverty level.  It will be interesting to see what the 2010 census has to say about Middletown's Poverty level.

If approximately $1 trillion may be coming down the Pipeline, there is no reason for Middletown not to request some funds and I would say a lot of funds hoping to get some.  But lets do it your way and ignore the stimulus funds lets let any funds coming to Ohio go to all of the other jurisdictions. 

I guess the other 100's of City's in the U.S. getting in line to request Stimulus funds must be fools.  Talk about Pie in the Sky.......you seem to be the one hoping to find the goose that laid the golden egg somewhere in an abandoned building in downtown Middletown.  Unfortunately it ain't gonna happen. 

Even if you created 10000 new jobs tomorrow paying $50000.00 a year that would generate $8.75 million in additional tax revenue a year, which would still take 13.7 years just to redo the roadway system.

Spider Middletown needs outside help and this may be a one shot deal to get funds.  I fail to understand you skepticism about it. 

What more help are you talking about in your post?  More citizens sitting on committees, last I checked that doesn't generate revenue.  More people investing in downtown, not likely with the current economic situation.  Some major company coming to town with 10k jobs, again not likely.  Towne Mall remodeled again not in these economic times, nor with Middletowns economic makeup as it presently is.  Please elaborate on you more help.

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2008 at 11:32am
Wow--the narcissistic nabobs of negativity are out in full force this weekend and must be downing energy drinks non-stop.
Do y'all really thrive on this constant pounding?
Is there a jealous resentment over not being invilved in any efforts to rebuild our community?

I just don't see anything developing with the constant rehashing of the same posts attacking the same people, from a group that wouldn't dare show their face at Council meetings and also refuses to apply for board committee positions where they can't dominate with their non-constructive thinking.

Our new city manager walked into a brutal situation, and has held up well during her first year.
She has been slammed from every angle, and been dealt a crappy hand to play into a winner.
This mess took 40 years to develop and will take at least 5-10 years to turn around.

We will do it.
Could do it quicker and easier with more help(and I don't mean pie in the sky govt.bailout $$--get real).
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2008 at 10:37am
City Manager Gilleland states in the article that she is pleased with the progress made by the city in specific areas. Mentioned are economic development, downtown redevelopement, regional partnership, demolishing blighted housing,industrial/commercial properties, street improvements,public safety and long term finances. Have we REALLY made any significant strides in these areas, Ms. Gilleland,enough for you to be THAT proud of the accomplishments? The infamous "Paducah" trip was listed, which happened last summer. Since that trip (and all of the "wonderful" picture memories from that epic event), what ideas and resulting action plan have been formulated based upon this "necessary" trip? Did the leaders gain anything from this or was this just another publicity stunt to lull us citizens into the false sense that the "leaders" were actually planning on doing anything productive? Also mentioned was the re-organization of city hall. Yes, new positions were created for Ginger Smith, a newly created position of Econ. Dev. "Manager" and people were "moved around", but where were the money saving layoffs for supervisors and above to save the city some money?City government is too top heavy with Directors, Assist.Directors,Supervisors, Team Leaders. etc. Moving people around and creating new positions doesn't help financially at all, Ms. Gilleland. Your "re-organization" was all nonsense. The Section 8 program that you, correctly, tried to pass on to Butler County, was a good choice on your part. Not only should this program have been passed on, but the program's housing in Middletown should have been greatly reduced.Too bad your suggestions weren't taken by this inept Council. This program offers more negatives than positives for the city and Council is too ignorant to see it. In retrospect, I know that you are in a difficult position. You probably want to see this city move in a positive fashion more quickly but, you ( and the citizens) are being held back by a stubborn, incompetent, clueless, arrogant group of people with an agenda that is anti-citizen, anti- growth, and anti-logical. We have met the enemy and they are our "leaders".   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic