<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="RSS_xslt_style.asp" version="1.0" ?>
<rss version="2.0" xmlns:WebWizForums="http://syndication.webwiz.co.uk/rss_namespace/">
 <channel>
  <title>Middletown Forum : Hydraulic Restoration Plan</title>
  <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/</link>
  <description>This is an XML content feed of; Middletown Forum : City Council : Hydraulic Restoration Plan</description>
  <pubDate>Tue, 06 Oct 2026 05:49:33 +0000</pubDate>
  <lastBuildDate>Tue, 10 Mar 2009 19:49:51 +0000</lastBuildDate>
  <docs>http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss</docs>
  <generator>Web Wiz Forums 10.12</generator>
  <ttl>360</ttl>
  <WebWizForums:feedURL>www.middletownusa.com/forum/RSS_post_feed.asp?TID=1050</WebWizForums:feedURL>
  <image>
   <title>Middletown Forum</title>
   <url>http://middletownusa.com/images/blog-logo.jpg</url>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/</link>
  </image>
  <item>
   <title>Hydraulic Restoration Plan : Yes. There is a spot behind my...</title>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1050&amp;PID=4780&amp;title=hydraulic-restoration-plan#4780</link>
   <description>
    <![CDATA[<strong>Author:</strong> <a href="http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=228">Gary Barge</a><br /><strong>Subject:</strong> 1050<br /><strong>Posted:</strong> Mar&nbsp;10&nbsp;2009 at 7:49pm<br /><br /><P>Yes. There is a spot behind my house. There really isn't any good spots from Rt 4 down to Sorg.&nbsp; Just let me know when you are ready.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </P><DIV>Gary Barge</DIV><DIV><a href="mailto:glb@cinci.rr.com" target="_blank">glb@cinci.rr.com</A></DIV><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>]]>
   </description>
   <pubDate>Tue, 10 Mar 2009 19:49:51 +0000</pubDate>
   <guid isPermaLink="true">http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1050&amp;PID=4780&amp;title=hydraulic-restoration-plan#4780</guid>
  </item> 
  <item>
   <title>Hydraulic Restoration Plan : Not ready for a story yet. Do...</title>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1050&amp;PID=4774&amp;title=hydraulic-restoration-plan#4774</link>
   <description>
    <![CDATA[<strong>Author:</strong> <a href="http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=4">John Beagle</a><br /><strong>Subject:</strong> 1050<br /><strong>Posted:</strong> Mar&nbsp;10&nbsp;2009 at 4:51pm<br /><br />Not ready for a story yet. Do you have a real yucky place we can look at for a video shoot?]]>
   </description>
   <pubDate>Tue, 10 Mar 2009 16:51:27 +0000</pubDate>
   <guid isPermaLink="true">http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1050&amp;PID=4774&amp;title=hydraulic-restoration-plan#4774</guid>
  </item> 
  <item>
   <title>Hydraulic Restoration Plan : HI John That is ok with me email...</title>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1050&amp;PID=4709&amp;title=hydraulic-restoration-plan#4709</link>
   <description>
    <![CDATA[<strong>Author:</strong> <a href="http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=228">Gary Barge</a><br /><strong>Subject:</strong> 1050<br /><strong>Posted:</strong> Mar&nbsp;05&nbsp;2009 at 4:56pm<br /><br /><P><strong><FONT face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=5>HI John</P><DIV></DIV>That is ok with me email me&nbsp;at&nbsp;<a href="mailto:glb@cinci.rr.com" target="_blank">glb@cinci.rr.com</A> and ill give my ph#<DIV>Gary Barge&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></strong>]]>
   </description>
   <pubDate>Thu, 05 Mar 2009 16:56:17 +0000</pubDate>
   <guid isPermaLink="true">http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1050&amp;PID=4709&amp;title=hydraulic-restoration-plan#4709</guid>
  </item> 
  <item>
   <title>Hydraulic Restoration Plan : Thanks for the info Gary.  I would...</title>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1050&amp;PID=4708&amp;title=hydraulic-restoration-plan#4708</link>
   <description>
    <![CDATA[<strong>Author:</strong> <a href="http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=4">John Beagle</a><br /><strong>Subject:</strong> 1050<br /><strong>Posted:</strong> Mar&nbsp;05&nbsp;2009 at 4:21pm<br /><br />Thanks for the info Gary.<br /><br />I would like to do a story some day when its hot and smelly. Will you keep me in mind? Perhaps a video interview would be good.]]>
   </description>
   <pubDate>Thu, 05 Mar 2009 16:21:34 +0000</pubDate>
   <guid isPermaLink="true">http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1050&amp;PID=4708&amp;title=hydraulic-restoration-plan#4708</guid>
  </item> 
  <item>
   <title>Hydraulic Restoration Plan : Thanks GaryThis must be the same...</title>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1050&amp;PID=4678&amp;title=hydraulic-restoration-plan#4678</link>
   <description>
    <![CDATA[<strong>Author:</strong> <a href="http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=115">Vivian Moon</a><br /><strong>Subject:</strong> 1050<br /><strong>Posted:</strong> Mar&nbsp;05&nbsp;2009 at 1:57am<br /><br />Thanks Gary<BR>This must be the same plan that I have read before.<DIV></DIV>I didn't remember the cost being 9.5 million.<BR>]]>
   </description>
   <pubDate>Thu, 05 Mar 2009 01:57:15 +0000</pubDate>
   <guid isPermaLink="true">http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1050&amp;PID=4678&amp;title=hydraulic-restoration-plan#4678</guid>
  </item> 
  <item>
   <title>Hydraulic Restoration Plan : Dear Vivian and Mr Beagle, My...</title>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1050&amp;PID=4675&amp;title=hydraulic-restoration-plan#4675</link>
   <description>
    <![CDATA[<strong>Author:</strong> <a href="http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=228">Gary Barge</a><br /><strong>Subject:</strong> 1050<br /><strong>Posted:</strong> Mar&nbsp;04&nbsp;2009 at 8:53pm<br /><br />Dear Vivian and Mr Beagle,<DIV>My name is Gary Barge. I am the person that brought the petition of over 200 signatures to the Middletown City Council concerning the canal. Here is a brief history of the canal. The canal was built in the mid 1800's by diverting water with a dam that was built in the river. This diverted water behind Winona St and Wilbraham Rd. The water was used to supply water for various businessess and discharge permits. Since the 1800's the dam that was erected has fell on two different occaisons, in the mid 80's and the mid 90's. In the late 90's the Miami Conservancy came in and built a permanent levy that stopped the flow of water into the canal. The Winona end of the canal is pretty well dried up. Due to the fact that from Rt 4 behind the Wilbraham Rd residents&nbsp;all the way to the old Sorg Paper Co. is the low end of the canal water lays several feet deep and stagnates since it no longer flows. The canal is also blocked at the old Sorg plant by their waste gate. The reason for the petition to the council was for ask for guidance and help over the stagnating and foul smelling water and mosquitos and rodents that the&nbsp;canal harvests. After many appearances before the city council and bringing documentation that it is a City of Middletown issue that I requested that something be done.&nbsp; Dave Duritsch became my contact person. The canal is 2.5 miles long and up to 70 feet wide in some spots. The main goal for the 9.5 million dollars is to correct the problem which lies in limbo. There has been no maintenance, no clean up procedures, or any other recommendation made other than the ones I brought to council. The least expensive way to correct the&nbsp;canal problem is either pipe it or fill it in. At the present time it serves no purpose. The first thing that I had asked was to have the canal up and running but due to the levy that would require about 40 million dollars and there would have to be some regrading of the canal not only that but there has been other building activity around the canal that would make this impossible. Next time you enter Smith Park you will see how unappealing the canal is.&nbsp; I also feel that if I had not brought this issue to the city and the quality of life problems that it causes they would have not even applied for the money since it has been "out of sight out of mind" for many years.</DIV><DIV>Thanks for everyone's concern. Feel free to contact me at glb@cinci.rr.com</DIV>]]>
   </description>
   <pubDate>Wed, 04 Mar 2009 20:53:54 +0000</pubDate>
   <guid isPermaLink="true">http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1050&amp;PID=4675&amp;title=hydraulic-restoration-plan#4675</guid>
  </item> 
  <item>
   <title>Hydraulic Restoration Plan : John, I have researched the hydraulic...</title>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1050&amp;PID=4670&amp;title=hydraulic-restoration-plan#4670</link>
   <description>
    <![CDATA[<strong>Author:</strong> <a href="http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=115">Vivian Moon</a><br /><strong>Subject:</strong> 1050<br /><strong>Posted:</strong> Mar&nbsp;04&nbsp;2009 at 6:01pm<br /><br /><P>John, I have researched the hydraulic canal problem and it is because of my research that I now question the "Hydraulic Restoration Plan". I would like to know much more about&nbsp;David Duritsch's plan. </P><DIV></DIV><DIV></DIV>]]>
   </description>
   <pubDate>Wed, 04 Mar 2009 18:01:53 +0000</pubDate>
   <guid isPermaLink="true">http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1050&amp;PID=4670&amp;title=hydraulic-restoration-plan#4670</guid>
  </item> 
  <item>
   <title>Hydraulic Restoration Plan : Gary Barge is your man. He has...</title>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1050&amp;PID=4666&amp;title=hydraulic-restoration-plan#4666</link>
   <description>
    <![CDATA[<strong>Author:</strong> <a href="http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=4">John Beagle</a><br /><strong>Subject:</strong> 1050<br /><strong>Posted:</strong> Mar&nbsp;04&nbsp;2009 at 4:47pm<br /><br />Gary Barge is your man. He has been trying to get the cleanup since at least 2006. Here is an excerpt from a Feb 7, 2007 council meeting.<br /><br />Gary Barge, 2313 Wilbraham Road stated he had met with council members and staff and are trying to have a couple of days in March and May to clean up both sides of the hydraulic canal. His main concerns and questions have not been answered. On the petition the main concern was whether to get water in the hydraulic or pipe it. He appreciates time spent with him.]]>
   </description>
   <pubDate>Wed, 04 Mar 2009 16:47:10 +0000</pubDate>
   <guid isPermaLink="true">http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1050&amp;PID=4666&amp;title=hydraulic-restoration-plan#4666</guid>
  </item> 
  <item>
   <title>Hydraulic Restoration Plan : Vet  I just called the City and...</title>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1050&amp;PID=4655&amp;title=hydraulic-restoration-plan#4655</link>
   <description>
    <![CDATA[<strong>Author:</strong> <a href="http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=115">Vivian Moon</a><br /><strong>Subject:</strong> 1050<br /><strong>Posted:</strong> Mar&nbsp;04&nbsp;2009 at 11:42am<br /><br />Vet <DIV>I just called the City and it seems that this&nbsp;"Hydraulic Restoration Plan" was just submitted to the state by David Duritsch. I can't seem to get any details concerning this $9.5 million&nbsp; project. I wonder if this is just an update of an old plan? <BR></DIV><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>]]>
   </description>
   <pubDate>Wed, 04 Mar 2009 11:42:42 +0000</pubDate>
   <guid isPermaLink="true">http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1050&amp;PID=4655&amp;title=hydraulic-restoration-plan#4655</guid>
  </item> 
  <item>
   <title>Hydraulic Restoration Plan : This Hydraulic Canal Restoration...</title>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1050&amp;PID=4654&amp;title=hydraulic-restoration-plan#4654</link>
   <description>
    <![CDATA[<strong>Author:</strong> <a href="http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=114">VietVet</a><br /><strong>Subject:</strong> 1050<br /><strong>Posted:</strong> Mar&nbsp;04&nbsp;2009 at 11:09am<br /><br />This Hydraulic Canal Restoration story has been beaten to death. Just ask the Wilbraham Road residents about their battle with the city concerning the canal. I think(someone correct me if I'm wrong), the water stagnated in the canal when the high level dam broke years ago and was not repaired. To get the hydraulic water flowing again would require pumps and aeration for life to re-establish itself in the canal and to eliminate mosquito infestation. Cans, bottles and other trash has accumulated over the years. Overhanging trees and brush needed to be cleared. City didn't have the money or didn't want to spend the money on making the canal a viable waterway. I believe this was back in the 80's or early 90's?????? Might be wrong on the time frame. Water samples were taken to determine pollutants in the canal also. EPA/health department was involved. There is a former Wilbraham Rd. resident that has moved to Lebanon. He could tell you the whole story. If he reads this post, he can decide to respond to this subject. It is his choice.]]>
   </description>
   <pubDate>Wed, 04 Mar 2009 11:09:17 +0000</pubDate>
   <guid isPermaLink="true">http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1050&amp;PID=4654&amp;title=hydraulic-restoration-plan#4654</guid>
  </item> 
 </channel>
</rss>