<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="RSS_xslt_style.asp" version="1.0" ?>
<rss version="2.0" xmlns:WebWizForums="http://syndication.webwiz.co.uk/rss_namespace/">
 <channel>
  <title>Middletown Forum : What else should we demolish?</title>
  <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/</link>
  <description>This is an XML content feed of; Middletown Forum : Community Revitalization : What else should we demolish?</description>
  <pubDate>Tue, 06 Oct 2026 09:35:40 +0000</pubDate>
  <lastBuildDate>Thu, 10 Dec 2009 08:45:56 +0000</lastBuildDate>
  <docs>http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss</docs>
  <generator>Web Wiz Forums 10.12</generator>
  <ttl>360</ttl>
  <WebWizForums:feedURL>www.middletownusa.com/forum/RSS_post_feed.asp?TID=2400</WebWizForums:feedURL>
  <image>
   <title>Middletown Forum</title>
   <url>http://middletownusa.com/images/blog-logo.jpg</url>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/</link>
  </image>
  <item>
   <title>What else should we demolish? : Does anyone know exactly how many...</title>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2400&amp;PID=14687&amp;title=what-else-should-we-demolish#14687</link>
   <description>
    <![CDATA[<strong>Author:</strong> <a href="http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=491">Summerrain1957</a><br /><strong>Subject:</strong> 2400<br /><strong>Posted:</strong> Dec&nbsp;10&nbsp;2009 at 8:45am<br /><br />Does anyone know exactly how many of the mobile homes at the old Avalon Park are occupied?&nbsp; This place is a mess and I am surprised that the City Manager has not ordered this place to be leveled. ]]>
   </description>
   <pubDate>Thu, 10 Dec 2009 08:45:56 +0000</pubDate>
   <guid isPermaLink="true">http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2400&amp;PID=14687&amp;title=what-else-should-we-demolish#14687</guid>
  </item> 
  <item>
   <title>What else should we demolish? : Summerrain I just drove by the...</title>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2400&amp;PID=14575&amp;title=what-else-should-we-demolish#14575</link>
   <description>
    <![CDATA[<strong>Author:</strong> <a href="http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=115">Vivian Moon</a><br /><strong>Subject:</strong> 2400<br /><strong>Posted:</strong> Dec&nbsp;07&nbsp;2009 at 5:10pm<br /><br /><strong>Summerrain<DIV></DIV>I just drove by the house in the curve&nbsp;and it is&nbsp;now down. They were busy filling the trucks with the rubble.<DIV></DIV>Now they will need to tear down the house that burned the other night at the corner of Woodlawn and Crawford.</strong>]]>
   </description>
   <pubDate>Mon, 07 Dec 2009 17:10:49 +0000</pubDate>
   <guid isPermaLink="true">http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2400&amp;PID=14575&amp;title=what-else-should-we-demolish#14575</guid>
  </item> 
  <item>
   <title>What else should we demolish? : How about the city tearing down...</title>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2400&amp;PID=14556&amp;title=what-else-should-we-demolish#14556</link>
   <description>
    <![CDATA[<strong>Author:</strong> <a href="http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=491">Summerrain1957</a><br /><strong>Subject:</strong> 2400<br /><strong>Posted:</strong> Dec&nbsp;07&nbsp;2009 at 12:13am<br /><br />How about the city tearing down the house on Sutphin Street on the curve across from the funeral home what a dump!!&nbsp; And I am sure there is a house out near Antrim Court that could go too!!<DIV>How many damn parking lots does this town need.&nbsp; Before long there will not be enough people in this town to worry about where they are going to park.&nbsp; Someone in the city keeps talking about all the GREEN SPACE that will be created with the buildings being torn down.&nbsp; Not very GREEN if they are paving over the land for parking places.</DIV><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>]]>
   </description>
   <pubDate>Mon, 07 Dec 2009 00:13:02 +0000</pubDate>
   <guid isPermaLink="true">http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2400&amp;PID=14556&amp;title=what-else-should-we-demolish#14556</guid>
  </item> 
  <item>
   <title>What else should we demolish? : Viet, we could debated it before,...</title>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2400&amp;PID=14551&amp;title=what-else-should-we-demolish#14551</link>
   <description>
    <![CDATA[<strong>Author:</strong> <a href="http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=303">lrisner</a><br /><strong>Subject:</strong> 2400<br /><strong>Posted:</strong> Dec&nbsp;06&nbsp;2009 at 2:12pm<br /><br />Viet, we could debated it before, but now with the passage of Issue 3 it would be illegal to have a Casino in Middletown. One of the many reasons I had to vote against it.<br><br>Thx for the idea none the less!<br>]]>
   </description>
   <pubDate>Sun, 06 Dec 2009 14:12:43 +0000</pubDate>
   <guid isPermaLink="true">http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2400&amp;PID=14551&amp;title=what-else-should-we-demolish#14551</guid>
  </item> 
  <item>
   <title>What else should we demolish? : Vet....agree....probably a pipedream....but Our...</title>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2400&amp;PID=14547&amp;title=what-else-should-we-demolish#14547</link>
   <description>
    <![CDATA[<strong>Author:</strong> <a href="http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=259">409</a><br /><strong>Subject:</strong> 2400<br /><strong>Posted:</strong> Dec&nbsp;06&nbsp;2009 at 11:14am<br /><br />Vet....agree....probably a pipedream....but<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Our airport is capable of handling commuter jets</DIV><DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Monies raised could also finance a Manchester/I-75 interchange</DIV>]]>
   </description>
   <pubDate>Sun, 06 Dec 2009 11:14:39 +0000</pubDate>
   <guid isPermaLink="true">http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2400&amp;PID=14547&amp;title=what-else-should-we-demolish#14547</guid>
  </item> 
  <item>
   <title>What else should we demolish? : Irisner- You had asked for suggestions...</title>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2400&amp;PID=14544&amp;title=what-else-should-we-demolish#14544</link>
   <description>
    <![CDATA[<strong>Author:</strong> <a href="http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=114">VietVet</a><br /><strong>Subject:</strong> 2400<br /><strong>Posted:</strong> Dec&nbsp;06&nbsp;2009 at 10:14am<br /><br />Irisner- You had asked for suggestions for the downtown OTHER THAN "artsy fartsy" or a "destination". Now, before I say what I've said before, I am totally aware that this will never be considered, but IMO, it has so many possibilities for reviving an area.<br /><br />A casino.<br /><br />Positives:<br />1. It will draw people to a given area- (See Lawrenceburg Indiana before the casino and after) <br /><br />2. It will attract/support entertainment to add to the entertainment choices at the casino. Alternate entertainment venues may include theatres, recreational venues, jazz clubs, blues clubs, various restaurants that may be less costly than the casino dining.<br /><br />3. If successful, may draw more casino competition in the form of docked riverboats down by our beloved Bicentennial Commons/West Middletown Bridge area.-(see Cincinnati's riverfront area)<br /><br />4. Casinos may spawn some bed and breakfasts and create hotel business for the Manchester/or newer hotel facilities.<br /><br />5. Casinos may offer an interest in creating a recreational business clientele as a spinoff to typical entertainment offered.<br /><br />6. Will generate taxes/revenue for the city  for infrastructure/road repairs. <br /><br />7. May help relieve the reliance by the city on Section 8 and other fed bailout money to constantly replenish their revenue (due to a lack of desire by leaders to accumulate revenue the "traditional way" through company and wage taxes, business development, growing the city like other towns do) <br /><br />8. Get the city off of working people's backs and reduce taxes- both property and income taxes.<br /><br />9. Stimulate the current pet project- the train- by attracting ridership to visit the casino and help the transportion in town (city buses and cabs) on the ride from the train station to the downtown on a continual basis.(shuttle) Fill the now vacant parking lots downtown.<br /><br />10. Give the future Duncan Oil some cars to fill as they pass by going on down to the "heart of downtown"<br /><br />11. Give Beau Verre studios some potention interest and customer numbers. Reopen that 56 Degrees place with interested casino customers.<br /><br />12. Won't need to tear down that parking garage. Will be used for casino parking. Might even have the old Swallen's building occupied with casino game offshoots. <br /><br />I'm sure there is more to add here. Just some thoughts (dreaming perhaps)- Now, tear her to pieces!<br /><br /><br /><br />Negatives:<br /><br />1. Alot of people against gambling- think it will cause divorce rates to climb, more bankruptcies, higher crime, greater workload on the police department,etc.<br /><br />Any other negative issues with a casino? I admit, I am in favor of one coming to this town, no matter where it is located. I think it would generate alot of money flow and stimulate spending in town. I know some will disagree but I ask- what do we have now for any hope of recovery in this town? Let's face it- what the city leaders have been doing the last 30 years has only caused the town to die a slow death. There has been absolutely no out of the box thinking from these people. At this point, wouldn't this deserve some consideration- given the circumstances?<br />]]>
   </description>
   <pubDate>Sun, 06 Dec 2009 10:14:21 +0000</pubDate>
   <guid isPermaLink="true">http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2400&amp;PID=14544&amp;title=what-else-should-we-demolish#14544</guid>
  </item> 
  <item>
   <title>What else should we demolish? : Viper the problem with Middletown...</title>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2400&amp;PID=14540&amp;title=what-else-should-we-demolish#14540</link>
   <description>
    <![CDATA[<strong>Author:</strong> <a href="http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=358">wasteful</a><br /><strong>Subject:</strong> 2400<br /><strong>Posted:</strong> Dec&nbsp;06&nbsp;2009 at 8:49am<br /><br /><FONT size=3><strong>Viper the problem with Middletown and many of it's residents is they are living in a time warp and don't want to change.&nbsp; Times have changed, what the majority of people who become residents want has changed.&nbsp; Middletown has changed for the worse over the last 20-30 years and just plods along like it has all of the time in the world, when it doesn't.&nbsp; If Middletown and it's residents don't get their act together now and start to make changes, there will be a very narrow swath of land along I-75 that will prosper and everything west of Breiel will basically whither away and die.</strong> </FONT><DIV><FONT size=3>&nbsp;</FONT></DIV><DIV><strong><FONT size=3>Middletown continues to have a very myopic view of what they want downtown to be and they refuse to change with the times.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; When the city gets branded with the 2010 census of having a Poverty level of 25%+ and a declining population that has not kept up eduction wise, that will be like a death nail in Middletown's coffin.</FONT></strong></DIV><DIV><strong></strong><FONT size=3>&nbsp;</FONT></DIV><DIV><strong><FONT size=3>Can anyone deny that companies with jobs and workers that want to live near their job want:</FONT></strong></DIV><DIV><strong></strong><FONT size=3>&nbsp;</FONT></DIV><DIV><strong><FONT size=3>A good school system</FONT></strong></DIV><DIV><strong><FONT size=3>Low Crime </FONT></strong></DIV><DIV><strong><FONT size=3>Infrastructure that is up to date and maintained.</FONT></strong></DIV><DIV><strong><FONT size=3>At least the basic in retail and entertainment amenities and usually more.</FONT></strong></DIV><DIV><strong><FONT size=3>Good choice of up to date housing stock, not old steel mill cracker boxes.</FONT></strong></DIV><DIV><strong><FONT size=3>Low Poverty level</FONT></strong></DIV><DIV><strong><FONT size=3>Public Safety that every year you don't have to play hocus pocus where is the money to fund them</FONT></strong></DIV><DIV><strong><FONT size=3>A City Admin and Council that operates in the best interest of the City as a WHOLE and not just specialty groups as is the current practice.</FONT></strong></DIV><DIV><strong></strong><FONT size=3>&nbsp;</FONT></DIV><DIV><strong><FONT size=3>I mean this is just the basics and Middletown lacks every single one of them and much more.&nbsp; The residents of Middletown just go along with whatever is pushed thru by Council and the Admin.&nbsp; The residents don't demand a change.&nbsp; The residents don't speak out.&nbsp; They just do nothing except the few that pull the strings to get what they want.&nbsp; The residents need to pull together and put a stop to the decline of Middletown but as of now they haven't and they don't seem to have the desire to do it........unfortunate.</FONT></strong></DIV>]]>
   </description>
   <pubDate>Sun, 06 Dec 2009 08:49:22 +0000</pubDate>
   <guid isPermaLink="true">http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2400&amp;PID=14540&amp;title=what-else-should-we-demolish#14540</guid>
  </item> 
  <item>
   <title>What else should we demolish? : Viper:  I (and I&amp;#039;m sure...</title>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2400&amp;PID=14538&amp;title=what-else-should-we-demolish#14538</link>
   <description>
    <![CDATA[<strong>Author:</strong> <a href="http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=101">Mike_Presta</a><br /><strong>Subject:</strong> 2400<br /><strong>Posted:</strong> Dec&nbsp;06&nbsp;2009 at 2:22am<br /><br />Viper: <DIV>I (and I'm sure others) wish God speed to those "good people trying to make a positive difference"!&nbsp; But, only if they are doing so with their own resources (or those resources&nbsp;willingly given by others with full knowledge of the end use and the end ownership).&nbsp; </DIV><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV>Where I object is when funds and resources unwillingly given (as in confiscation by taxation, including taxing the working poor) or from sources more urgently and ethically needed elsewhere (as from various tax-exempt charitable foundations) are used to "restore/upgrade/improve" properties for owners who are well above poverty levels and do not wish to (or cannot afford to) maintain or "restore/upgrade/improve the old mansions" they covet for their own enjoyment or for snob appeal. </DIV><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV>Of course, I have no objections to such people raising several grand for their own enjoyment every couple of years by opening their pads to the local commoners (at 10 or 20 bucks per head), as long as they: DECLARE all of this income; and FULFILL all local codes and permitting requirements for such COMMERCIAL VENTURES!!!</DIV><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV>Certainly the FIRE INSPECTORS, and BUILDING CODE INSPECTORS must check for any violations to be CERTAIN that these HISTORIC structures are SAFE for public occupancy BEFORE any COMMERCIAL tours can be allowed.&nbsp; Right????&nbsp; And we can't expect the public to pay for these inspections for these "for profit" ventures, can we???</DIV>]]>
   </description>
   <pubDate>Sun, 06 Dec 2009 02:22:27 +0000</pubDate>
   <guid isPermaLink="true">http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2400&amp;PID=14538&amp;title=what-else-should-we-demolish#14538</guid>
  </item> 
  <item>
   <title>What else should we demolish? : I was just messing around :) I...</title>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2400&amp;PID=14537&amp;title=what-else-should-we-demolish#14537</link>
   <description>
    <![CDATA[<strong>Author:</strong> <a href="http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=250">viper771</a><br /><strong>Subject:</strong> 2400<br /><strong>Posted:</strong> Dec&nbsp;05&nbsp;2009 at 10:54pm<br /><br />I was just messing around :) &nbsp;I hate to see old stuff being torn down. I do agree that a lot of these cool old houses were let go for way too long, which is really unfortunate. I just don't want to see the old part of town forgotten when everyone wants to focus on the east side.. I am not saying that the old downtown needs to be the main hub of Middletown like it once was.. but all the history shouldn't be torn down. There are still a lot of good people who live there in the area that are trying to make a positive difference.]]>
   </description>
   <pubDate>Sat, 05 Dec 2009 22:54:08 +0000</pubDate>
   <guid isPermaLink="true">http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2400&amp;PID=14537&amp;title=what-else-should-we-demolish#14537</guid>
  </item> 
  <item>
   <title>What else should we demolish? : Viper let me know before you go...</title>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2400&amp;PID=14533&amp;title=what-else-should-we-demolish#14533</link>
   <description>
    <![CDATA[<strong>Author:</strong> <a href="http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=358">wasteful</a><br /><strong>Subject:</strong> 2400<br /><strong>Posted:</strong> Dec&nbsp;05&nbsp;2009 at 2:30pm<br /><br />Viper let me know before you go take down the hospital with your sledge hammer, I want to get a picture before they take you up to the psycho ward.&nbsp; Gotta love some of these comments.<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV>Powerless you wanna have a rotten tooth versus at least a decent smile with a replacement tooth.&nbsp; Middletown has a mouth full of rotten teeth that need to go.&nbsp; Most of the houses that need to go no one wants except the slum lords to keep the city down.</DIV>]]>
   </description>
   <pubDate>Sat, 05 Dec 2009 14:30:27 +0000</pubDate>
   <guid isPermaLink="true">http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2400&amp;PID=14533&amp;title=what-else-should-we-demolish#14533</guid>
  </item> 
 </channel>
</rss>