<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="RSS_xslt_style.asp" version="1.0" ?>
<rss version="2.0" xmlns:WebWizForums="http://syndication.webwiz.co.uk/rss_namespace/">
 <channel>
  <title>Middletown Forum : Workbook for 10/18 Council meeting</title>
  <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/</link>
  <description>This is an XML content feed of; Middletown Forum : City Council : Workbook for 10/18 Council meeting</description>
  <pubDate>Mon, 05 Oct 2026 22:59:09 +0000</pubDate>
  <lastBuildDate>Sun, 16 Oct 2011 15:44:47 +0000</lastBuildDate>
  <docs>http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss</docs>
  <generator>Web Wiz Forums 10.12</generator>
  <ttl>360</ttl>
  <WebWizForums:feedURL>www.middletownusa.com/forum/RSS_post_feed.asp?TID=4178</WebWizForums:feedURL>
  <image>
   <title>Middletown Forum</title>
   <url>http://middletownusa.com/images/blog-logo.jpg</url>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/</link>
  </image>
  <item>
   <title>Workbook for 10/18 Council meeting : Okay Mike, I&amp;#039;ll bite, as...</title>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4178&amp;PID=30230&amp;title=workbook-for-10-18-council-meeting#30230</link>
   <description>
    <![CDATA[<strong>Author:</strong> <a href="http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=334">acclaro</a><br /><strong>Subject:</strong> 4178<br /><strong>Posted:</strong> Oct&nbsp;16&nbsp;2011 at 3:44pm<br /><br />Okay Mike, I'll bite, as I taking a break from painting my downspouts copper 9hope no one steals them!).<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV>The Master Plan on page 19-22 should have been done in two months, not ongoing for years. I am not impressed with Marty's histogram, the silly graph showing 1870 to present, on Mtown's population, meaningless. The action actions are just tasks, and commonsense observations.&nbsp;Read more a Master's thesis than anything pertaining to southwestern Ohio. Could have skipped the part of the European comaprison, "okay, they restrict new housing development when existing stock is in under-demand." It is not an economic materpeice by any means.</DIV><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV>Now, will all of southwestern Ohio not developing new real estate? That is his observation for elimination Mtown's excessive stock, with the wrecking ball of course, for older stock that will not be sold? Of course not. What he negates to mention is there are areas in recovery, Blue Ash, West Chester, et al. The hypothetical textbook analysis doesn't work in the real world planning, this is not a plan by the way. Grade F, useless material.</DIV><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV>Further, contradictions. If the key he advocates is reduction in hosuing stock, why the xpansion in the renaissance at lower price point? Okay, we know the residents wanted something to fill up Fenwick, and if it meant a house, who cares about its price pt being $150,000 below what was established and competitive with the west side stock, driving property values down further.&nbsp;sj and I discussed this issue when it occurred.</DIV><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV>Finally, for the "connectors", the 5 possibilities put on the plate, but only the Atrium discussion was discussed. Many probably think there is merit up at the Manchester/ Henderson Road area, a beltline, but the cash won't be there for that. So, in conclusuion, no plan, F for quality, no vision, strictly observations, and doing exactly opposite what&nbsp;is needed to elevate property valuation. Emphasis on jobs, but they aren't coming. </DIV><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV>What have I missed?&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</DIV>]]>
   </description>
   <pubDate>Sun, 16 Oct 2011 15:44:47 +0000</pubDate>
   <guid isPermaLink="true">http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4178&amp;PID=30230&amp;title=workbook-for-10-18-council-meeting#30230</guid>
  </item> 
  <item>
   <title>Workbook for 10/18 Council meeting : Followingis my usual review of,...</title>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4178&amp;PID=30223&amp;title=workbook-for-10-18-council-meeting#30223</link>
   <description>
    <![CDATA[<strong>Author:</strong> <a href="http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=101">Mike_Presta</a><br /><strong>Subject:</strong> 4178<br /><strong>Posted:</strong> Oct&nbsp;16&nbsp;2011 at 3:36am<br /><br /><FONT size=2 face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Following&nbsp;is my usual review of, and commentary upon, the workbook for Tuesday's City Council Meeting.</FONT> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-AUTOSPACE: ; mso-layout-grid-align: n&#111;ne" ="Ms&#111;normal"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri"><FONT face=Calibri>From page 15 of 116 of the workbook:<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><O:P></O:P></FONT></SPAN></P><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-AUTOSPACE: ; mso-layout-grid-align: n&#111;ne" ="Ms&#111;normal"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri"><O:P><FONT face=Calibri>&nbsp;</FONT></O:P></SPAN></P><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; TEXT-AUTOSPACE: ; mso-layout-grid-align: n&#111;ne" ="Ms&#111;normal"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri"><FONT face=Calibri>“Income tax revenue will increase 2% in 2012 ‐ was 1%, but Cincinnati State, Greentree, and other economic development made 2% a reasonable assumption;”<O:P></O:P></FONT></SPAN></P><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; TEXT-AUTOSPACE: ; mso-layout-grid-align: n&#111;ne" ="Ms&#111;normal"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri"><O:P><FONT face=Calibri>&nbsp;</FONT></O:P></SPAN></P><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt" ="Ms&#111;normal"><SPAN style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri"><FONT face=Calibri>This is a bold statement, and I certainly hope that it comes true.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>This means that they are projecting that the TOTAL EARNED INCOME of EVERYONE who LIVES or WORKS in the City of Middletown, when taken as a whole, will increase by 1/50<SUP>th, </SUP>and half of that increase will be due to Cincinnati State and Greentree Acadamy!!!<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Perhaps Cinci State and Greentree are planning to bring in more highly-paid professors and&nbsp;adminstators than I dared to hope for!!!<O:P></O:P></FONT></SPAN></P><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt" ="Ms&#111;normal"><SPAN style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri"><FONT face=Calibri>Also from page 15 of 116 of the workbook:<O:P></O:P></FONT></SPAN></P><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt 0.5in" ="Ms&#111;normal"><SPAN style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri"><FONT face=Calibri>“Street Light Assessment – could raise $750,000 for the general fund if council is willing to pass this cost along to the residents.”<O:P></O:P></FONT></SPAN></P><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt" ="Ms&#111;normal"><FONT face=Calibri><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"><SPAN style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri">Pass it along to the residents???</SPAN></I></B><SPAN style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri"><SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>This just goes to show you how out of touch City Hall is with reality!!!<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Who do they think pays for it now???<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>The Easter Bunny??? The Good Fairy??? <SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp;</SPAN>The cost of every dollar and cent that they spend is already borne by the residents!!!<O:P></O:P></SPAN></FONT></P><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt" ="Ms&#111;normal"><SPAN style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri"><FONT face=Calibri>This is simply another way to raise taxes on all of the residents of Middletown without saying that they are raising taxes on the residents of Middletown.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Instead, they are calling it a “street light fassessment”.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Are<strong><EM> they</EM></strong> too stupid to understand that we are already paying for the street lights???<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Or do they think that&nbsp;<strong><EM>we</EM></strong> are too stupid to realize that we are already paying for the street lights???<O:P></O:P></FONT></SPAN></P><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt" ="Ms&#111;normal"><SPAN style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri"><FONT face=Calibri>Mr. Corolus’s report begins on page 16 of 116 of the Workbook.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>There was one report that I think was owed to the residents of Middletown that was missing.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Pendleton Art Center has now been open for over two quarters.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>The Citizens of Middletown made a large donation to this venture.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>The reasoning supplied by City Hall for this “investment” was that PAC would be a huge “economic engine” for the city.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>By now, the City should have received two quarters of income tax receipts from the employees of, <SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp;</SPAN>and “artists” at, the PAC.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>So, Mr. Corolus, exactly how much to date of this “investment” has the City recouped???<O:P></O:P></FONT></SPAN></P><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt" ="Ms&#111;normal"><SPAN style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri"><FONT face=Calibri>Next on my list is the minutes of the <B>MASTER PLAN STEERING COMMITTEE.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN></B><SPAN style="mso-bidi-font-weight: bold">This is a very important and interesting, but disturbing, read.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>It constitutes pages 19 through 22 of the workbook. <SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp;</SPAN>I don’t know if any of council members will read it before they vote to “receive and file” it, but I urge every one of you to read it.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>I will not comment further and leave you to draw your own conclusions and bring it up here for further discussion if you deem it worthy.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Here is the link to the workbook:<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN><a href="http://www.cityofmiddletown.org/docs/council/10182011_w.pdf" target="_blank"><U><FONT size=3>http://www.cityofmiddletown.org/docs/council/10182011_w.pdf</FONT></U></A><O:P></O:P></SPAN></FONT></SPAN></P><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt" ="Ms&#111;normal"><SPAN style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold; mso-bidi-font-style: italic"><FONT face=Calibri>From the September 7, 2011 Meeting Minutes of the Airport Commission, page 50 of 116 of the Workbook:<O:P></O:P></FONT></SPAN></P><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt 0.5in" ="Ms&#111;normal"><SPAN style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold; mso-bidi-font-style: italic"><FONT face=Calibri>“the City is planning on using their paving machine to pave the parking lot next to the large hanger to accommodate the volume of people coming to the airport. No timing has been set for this paving.”<O:P></O:P></FONT></SPAN></P><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt" ="Ms&#111;normal"><SPAN style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-SIZE: 12pt"><FONT face=Calibri>I guess the City crews are too busy demolishing swimming pools and repairing bike paths to get to this quickly.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>I also note that Council member/Airport Commission liaison Picard was again absent from this meeting, as usual.<O:P></O:P></FONT></SPAN></P><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt" ="Ms&#111;normal"><SPAN style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-SIZE: 12pt"><FONT face=Calibri>On page 75 of 116 of the workbook, we have <B>Resolution No. R2011-35,</B> <SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp;</SPAN>appointing an <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><SPAN style="COLOR: red">Assessment Equalization Board</SPAN></B> to hear objections relative to the adding decorative street lighting on South Main Street. <SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp;</SPAN>This legislation supposedly appoints <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">three “disinterested” freeholders</I></B> of the City of Middletown to act as this board.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>This sounds like a noble cause, but since this entire “olde tyme lighting” thingie smacked of special interests, I think it bears close watching to be certain that those who have objected get a fair shake, and I, for one, would like to know how these three “disinterested” parties were chosen. <O:P></O:P></FONT></SPAN></P><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt" ="Ms&#111;normal"><SPAN style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-SIZE: 12pt"><FONT face=Calibri>And of course at the end, as usual, we have the Executive Session “for the <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">PURCHASE</I></B>...or <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">SALE</B> of public property!!!<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Do ya think these folks will EVER figure out if they are <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">BUYING</I></B> or <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">SELLING???</I></B></FONT></SPAN><O:P></O:P></P></DIV>]]>
   </description>
   <pubDate>Sun, 16 Oct 2011 03:36:39 +0000</pubDate>
   <guid isPermaLink="true">http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4178&amp;PID=30223&amp;title=workbook-for-10-18-council-meeting#30223</guid>
  </item> 
 </channel>
</rss>