<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="RSS_xslt_style.asp" version="1.0" ?>
<rss version="2.0" xmlns:WebWizForums="http://syndication.webwiz.co.uk/rss_namespace/">
 <channel>
  <title>Middletown Forum : Council Candidates Answer Questions</title>
  <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/</link>
  <description>This is an XML content feed of; Middletown Forum : City Council : Council Candidates Answer Questions</description>
  <pubDate>Wed, 07 Oct 2026 06:06:38 +0000</pubDate>
  <lastBuildDate>Tue, 29 Oct 2013 01:05:54 +0000</lastBuildDate>
  <docs>http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss</docs>
  <generator>Web Wiz Forums 10.12</generator>
  <ttl>360</ttl>
  <WebWizForums:feedURL>www.middletownusa.com/forum/RSS_post_feed.asp?TID=5492</WebWizForums:feedURL>
  <image>
   <title>Middletown Forum</title>
   <url>http://middletownusa.com/images/blog-logo.jpg</url>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/</link>
  </image>
  <item>
   <title>Council Candidates Answer Questions :   That&amp;#039;s why both parties...</title>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5492&amp;PID=40026&amp;title=council-candidates-answer-questions#40026</link>
   <description>
    <![CDATA[<strong>Author:</strong> <a href="http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=313">Bocephus</a><br /><strong>Subject:</strong> 5492<br /><strong>Posted:</strong> Oct&nbsp;29&nbsp;2013 at 1:05am<br /><br />That's why both parties hate the tea partiers because the new comers don't go along with the establishment ground rules and it scares the hell out of both partys.]]>
   </description>
   <pubDate>Tue, 29 Oct 2013 01:05:54 +0000</pubDate>
   <guid isPermaLink="true">http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5492&amp;PID=40026&amp;title=council-candidates-answer-questions#40026</guid>
  </item> 
  <item>
   <title>Council Candidates Answer Questions : Acclaro, And I agree about the...</title>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5492&amp;PID=39990&amp;title=council-candidates-answer-questions#39990</link>
   <description>
    <![CDATA[<strong>Author:</strong> <a href="http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=101">Mike_Presta</a><br /><strong>Subject:</strong> 5492<br /><strong>Posted:</strong> Oct&nbsp;26&nbsp;2013 at 5:36am<br /><br /><P>Acclaro,</P><DIV>And I agree about the RINOs in Butler County.</DIV><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV>That is why I ran for Central Committee.&nbsp; Unfortunately, if you think only one vote out of seven (soon to be one out of five, after this election) as on Middletown's Council is moot, consider one vote out of 280+- as on the BuCo GOP Central Committee!!!&nbsp;</DIV>]]>
   </description>
   <pubDate>Sat, 26 Oct 2013 05:36:47 +0000</pubDate>
   <guid isPermaLink="true">http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5492&amp;PID=39990&amp;title=council-candidates-answer-questions#39990</guid>
  </item> 
  <item>
   <title>Council Candidates Answer Questions :    Mike, my frustration and...</title>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5492&amp;PID=39988&amp;title=council-candidates-answer-questions#39988</link>
   <description>
    <![CDATA[<strong>Author:</strong> <a href="http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=334">acclaro</a><br /><strong>Subject:</strong> 5492<br /><strong>Posted:</strong> Oct&nbsp;26&nbsp;2013 at 4:46am<br /><br />Mike, my frustration and anger to be&nbsp;frank, out of the mindless beating of and on impoverished people on Section 8 as an excuse and projection of all of Middletown's woes got the better of me, including Mr. Laubach's commentary an open check book was the better strategy for renters than federal assistance. As Steve Bohannon has stated, and with a wit of satire&nbsp;associated with his statement 'it was 'only after Middletown lost its paper jobs, AK reduction, Square D, and countless other business, including Clark, Schaeffer, Hacket, did council come to&nbsp;Jesus and blame the low life Section 8 souls, which I find disgusting and irresponsible. It has been decades of complete&nbsp;mismanagement by council that has led to Middletown's blight; Section 8 is only one of many outcomes, but not the cause.<div>&nbsp;</div><div>I agree Mr. Laubach is the better and only candidate I would even consider casting a vote, although his impact will be moot, as Bill Becker, Joe Mulligan, and Anita Scot Jones remain, and they are pretty much in step in the majority. My disappoint with Mr. Laubach more squarely is associated with the simplicity of not going back to the 1986 ordinance and having it placed before the voters, and having them&nbsp;allocate the money as it was 20 + years ago. Given the choices, I agree JL is without question, the better and only candidate, I would not leave&nbsp;blank and vote for again. However, hs support of moving funds downtown has not served him well, in my opinion nonetheless, but in a sea of rascals, he&nbsp;has cleaner hands than others.</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>This council was put in place for one reason; to waste $ downtown and to pass levies. Mr. Laubach will at least, I believe, give the one no vote, to tax elevation, although token only in nature. MMF only needs to prevail on 1 of the new seats; I fear it will be two. </div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>I appreciate your avocation of Mr. Laubach and given the choices, I agree he is the only candidate I could stomach to even check his name. Likewise, my sentiments are the same for all the RIN's down on Butler Cty, which I never vote for, but leave blank.</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</div>]]>
   </description>
   <pubDate>Sat, 26 Oct 2013 04:46:01 +0000</pubDate>
   <guid isPermaLink="true">http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5492&amp;PID=39988&amp;title=council-candidates-answer-questions#39988</guid>
  </item> 
  <item>
   <title>Council Candidates Answer Questions : Acclaro,  As much as I value...</title>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5492&amp;PID=39987&amp;title=council-candidates-answer-questions#39987</link>
   <description>
    <![CDATA[<strong>Author:</strong> <a href="http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=101">Mike_Presta</a><br /><strong>Subject:</strong> 5492<br /><strong>Posted:</strong> Oct&nbsp;26&nbsp;2013 at 4:19am<br /><br /><FONT size=2>Acclaro,</FONT><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV><FONT size=2>As much as I value your opinion, there is one statement within your post with which I must disagree.&nbsp; I hope that after I logically state may case, you will concur.</FONT></DIV><DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV><FONT size=2>You stated:&nbsp; <EM>"There is not one individual running worthy of a vote in my opinion."</EM></FONT></DIV><DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV><FONT size=2>I say that of the four individuals running, two will be elected...even if no one (other than their selves) votes for them.&nbsp; Therefore, it behooves us to try to get the best (or perhaps the least bad--depending upon one's point of view) of the lot&nbsp;elected.</FONT></DIV><DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV><FONT size=2>I submit that the best of this lot of candidates is <strong><EM>JOSH LAUBACH!!!</EM></strong>&nbsp; </FONT></DIV><DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV><FONT size=2>Now, I have not agreed with every position he has taken, nor every vote he has cast, and I venture to say that you have not either.&nbsp; I have openly railed against some of his positions right in this forum. &nbsp;However, I certainly have found myself on the same page with Mr. Laubach much more often&nbsp;than with either of the other incumbents.&nbsp; I speculate that the same is true with you.&nbsp; Further, I say that this young man has articulated core values consistent with our conservative founding fathers.&nbsp; Given, he has strayed from these positions at times...but one must allow that he is a relatively young man who has had to stand alone against much more liberal colleagues and administrators who probably&nbsp;have&nbsp;ganged up on&nbsp;him to "get on board"!&nbsp; </FONT></DIV><DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV><FONT size=2>Who, among the candidates, has <strong><EM>EVER</EM></strong> stood up against "the machine", save <strong><EM>Josh Laubach???</EM></strong>&nbsp; (Discount those who completely change their stances the last month or so before elections...and you know who you are!!)</FONT></DIV><DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV><FONT size=2>So now, when the council is being reduced to just five members, <strong><EM>if we do NOT reelect JOSH LAUBACH</EM></strong>, won't&nbsp;we just be completely capitulating???&nbsp; <strong><EM>Won't we just be completely surrendering???</EM></strong></FONT></DIV><DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV><FONT size=2>If not <strong><EM>JOSH LAUBACH</EM></strong>, then who???&nbsp;</FONT></DIV><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>]]>
   </description>
   <pubDate>Sat, 26 Oct 2013 04:19:37 +0000</pubDate>
   <guid isPermaLink="true">http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5492&amp;PID=39987&amp;title=council-candidates-answer-questions#39987</guid>
  </item> 
  <item>
   <title>Council Candidates Answer Questions :   The city council are useless...</title>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5492&amp;PID=39986&amp;title=council-candidates-answer-questions#39986</link>
   <description>
    <![CDATA[<strong>Author:</strong> <a href="http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=334">acclaro</a><br /><strong>Subject:</strong> 5492<br /><strong>Posted:</strong> Oct&nbsp;25&nbsp;2013 at 10:59pm<br /><br />The city council are useless individuals.<div>&nbsp;</div><div>They don't comprehend the chicken and egg correlation.</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>Those that state it is desirable to have renters come in to pay out of pocket vs HUD don't want to face reality; people want OUT of Middletown, not in. </div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>Reducing vouchers was a situation which stemmed directly from council. It disgusts me council and city leaders always scapegoat someone or always have an excuse. Crime, image, everything is the vault of Section 8. Wrong----its because city took money from roads, never put it back to 86 levels, to pay its employees, and always, ALWAYS has been reactive. Jobs left, companies left, executives left, associated with INCOMPETENCE and taxes.</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>There is not one individual running worthy of a vote in my opinion.</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>Rid Middletown of Section 8, all of it, and all that will occur is HUD and the state, will pay $ to destroy excess inventory. The influx will NEVER occur, never.</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>The city destroyed itself. Section 8 is an effect of the root cause of utter and complete INCOMPETENCE by city hall and city council.</div>]]>
   </description>
   <pubDate>Fri, 25 Oct 2013 22:59:21 +0000</pubDate>
   <guid isPermaLink="true">http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5492&amp;PID=39986&amp;title=council-candidates-answer-questions#39986</guid>
  </item> 
  <item>
   <title>Council Candidates Answer Questions :   From MJ:Section 8 an issue...</title>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5492&amp;PID=39984&amp;title=council-candidates-answer-questions#39984</link>
   <description>
    <![CDATA[<strong>Author:</strong> <a href="http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=259">409</a><br /><strong>Subject:</strong> 5492<br /><strong>Posted:</strong> Oct&nbsp;25&nbsp;2013 at 4:36pm<br /><br />From MJ:<div><font size="3">Section 8 an issue at IPOA candidates forum</font></div><div>By <a href="http://www.middletownjournal.com/staff/michael-d-pitman/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow"><u><font color="#0066cc">Michael D. Pitman</font></u></a><p ="cmSource">                                    Staff Writer                             </p><p ="cmDateline">MIDDLETOWN — </p><div ="cmArticle cmOC&#111;ntainer"><p><font size="1">The amount of subsidized housing in Middletown and what to do about it has been a hot topic in the city during the past year, and the subject took center stage again earlier this week at a City Council candidates forum hosted by the Investment Property Owners Association of Middletown.</font></p><p><font size="1">All four candidates vying for the two open seats on council — Vice Mayor Dan Picard, council members Josh Laubach and Ann Mort and candidate Dora Bronston — attended the 90-minute forum Wednesday at Java Johnny’s Midtown Cafe where a variety of topics were addressed. But it was the city’s most controversial issue — the reduction of Section 8 housing — that got the most attention.</font></p><p><font size="1">City officials want to eliminate 1,008 of the 1,662 Housing Choice Vouchers, commonly known as Section 8, that exist in the city. Their plan calls for reducing that number over the next four to five years through attrition, meaning when people voluntarily leave or are kicked off the program.</font></p><p><font size="1">Middletown has more Section 8 housing per capita than any city in the region or state, and that the sheer volume of low-income housing is taxing city services beyond what is sustainable long term and negatively impacting the ability to attract new jobs and businesses, city officials have said. The city’s proposal has met resistance from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development as well as local Section 8 landlords and tenants.</font></p><p><font size="1">Steve Bohannon, a member of the Investment Property Owners Association, said this is a big issue for his group since some of its members rent their properties to Section 8 voucher holders. He said for years the Section 8 program in Middletown was “under the radar” and the amount of subsidized housing wasn’t an issue when the city’s economy was stronger.</font></p><p><font size="1">“But now that we lose all the jobs and all the paper mills and so forth, the Section 8 is standing out like a sore thumb,” Bohannon said.</font></p><p><font size="1">Bohannon asked the council candidates how property owners like those involved with the IPOA could “feel a little better about what the city is trying to do to our investment” with all the proposed changes to Section 8.</font></p><p><font size="1">Picard said “there’s no doubt” Middletown has more Section 8 housing than its neighbors, and that the city is “still grappling … because there’s just no easy resolution to that issue.”</font></p><p><font size="1">“The city has been moving to reduce mainly because the city is overburdened,” Picard said. “You (property investors) spend a lot of money in this city as a result of Section 8 housing, a lot of money flows into the city as a result of Section 8 housing. I think the key for council is to determine what is the proper balance between the burden of Section 8 housing and the amount of money that’s coming into the city.”</font></p><p><font size="1">Bronston called the 1,008 voucher reduction “pretty drastic,” adding the city also has “a problem with HUD.”</font></p><p><font size="1">“Unless that authority tells us that we can, we can’t do it,” Bronston said of reducing vouchers. “People need somewhere to live. You can’t kick all the poor people out. What are you going to do with all the displaced citizens when they don’t have a home to live in?”</font></p><p><font size="1">She said there will be a “domino effect” as the landlords for Section 8 is reduced “you have the people on Section 8 that were in those homes and they have to find homes somewhere else.”</font></p><p><font size="1">Laubach said the subsidized housing in the long run “makes for bad business” for investors.</font></p><p><font size="1">“I think it’s bad for people who own property because we’re artificially creating or building housing projects where subsidized tenants move into and keeps prices artificially low for people like you who are trying gain rents back from your investment,” he said. “I think we have to continue to focus, and I’m not talking over night, but let’s continue to focus moving away from that and bringing people here that pay out of pocket themselves and that will change the whole dynamic of our housing stock.”</font></p><p><font size="1">Mort said the attrition practices help create balance as Middletown is “vastly out of balance compared to like cities.”</font></p><p><font size="1">“I have no problem whatsoever by cutting it down through attrition. I don’t want to throw anybody out on the streets,” Mort said. “We’ve tightened up our landlords … and I think that’s a very good thing because we got rid of some landlords that were giving it a really bad name.</font></p><p><font size="1">“We’re tightening up on the people that live there so that we have decent folk for the most part living in these units.”</font></p><p><font size="1">Mort said it’s important to improve the city’s housing stock and bring in residents who pay market-rate rents</font></p></div></div>]]>
   </description>
   <pubDate>Fri, 25 Oct 2013 16:36:19 +0000</pubDate>
   <guid isPermaLink="true">http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5492&amp;PID=39984&amp;title=council-candidates-answer-questions#39984</guid>
  </item> 
  <item>
   <title>Council Candidates Answer Questions : thanks Spider for the preview </title>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5492&amp;PID=39904&amp;title=council-candidates-answer-questions#39904</link>
   <description>
    <![CDATA[<strong>Author:</strong> <a href="http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=1299">over the hill</a><br /><strong>Subject:</strong> 5492<br /><strong>Posted:</strong> Oct&nbsp;18&nbsp;2013 at 3:20pm<br /><br />thanks Spider for the preview]]>
   </description>
   <pubDate>Fri, 18 Oct 2013 15:20:26 +0000</pubDate>
   <guid isPermaLink="true">http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5492&amp;PID=39904&amp;title=council-candidates-answer-questions#39904</guid>
  </item> 
  <item>
   <title>Council Candidates Answer Questions :  </title>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5492&amp;PID=39903&amp;title=council-candidates-answer-questions#39903</link>
   <description>
    <![CDATA[<strong>Author:</strong> <a href="http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=18">spiderjohn</a><br /><strong>Subject:</strong> 5492<br /><strong>Posted:</strong> Oct&nbsp;18&nbsp;2013 at 2:57pm<br /><br /><div><iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5rDrPBzJo5o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div><div>&nbsp;</div><div><iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K3nNaeMTNbM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>]]>
   </description>
   <pubDate>Fri, 18 Oct 2013 14:57:05 +0000</pubDate>
   <guid isPermaLink="true">http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5492&amp;PID=39903&amp;title=council-candidates-answer-questions#39903</guid>
  </item> 
  <item>
   <title>Council Candidates Answer Questions :   I will be there sj, and hosting...</title>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5492&amp;PID=39902&amp;title=council-candidates-answer-questions#39902</link>
   <description>
    <![CDATA[<strong>Author:</strong> <a href="http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=334">acclaro</a><br /><strong>Subject:</strong> 5492<br /><strong>Posted:</strong> Oct&nbsp;18&nbsp;2013 at 12:51pm<br /><br />I will be there sj, and hosting 8 family friends from young professional adults flying in from Chicago, who know the world class status of these outstanding performers (and kids of the movers and shakers who left sw Ohio for better life in Chicagoland).<div>&nbsp;</div><div>Incredible talent tomorrow----even blew my son away when told who was doing the gig. </div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>Put the local silliness of council and their antics behind years ago---enough empty suits in business and fed level---no need to bother with the local ones as well. All hat and no cattle---nothing more to say.</div>]]>
   </description>
   <pubDate>Fri, 18 Oct 2013 12:51:37 +0000</pubDate>
   <guid isPermaLink="true">http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5492&amp;PID=39902&amp;title=council-candidates-answer-questions#39902</guid>
  </item> 
  <item>
   <title>Council Candidates Answer Questions :    Wasn&amp;#039;t a very encouraging...</title>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5492&amp;PID=39901&amp;title=council-candidates-answer-questions#39901</link>
   <description>
    <![CDATA[<strong>Author:</strong> <a href="http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=18">spiderjohn</a><br /><strong>Subject:</strong> 5492<br /><strong>Posted:</strong> Oct&nbsp;18&nbsp;2013 at 12:32pm<br /><br />Wasn't a very encouraging evening, was it?<div>Credit due for offering to serve--however "serving" should mean more than than re-cycled sos.</div><div>Just like the last-minute fed govt.drama that solved nothing, but fueled more pork, waste deficit and polarization.</div><div>Correct acclaro--no one locally cares any more.</div><div>Locals have given up on their govt.making a positive difference at this time.</div><div>Maybe trickle-down apathy and helplessness from the fed situation and embarrassing republican melt-down</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>Soo-----leave it all behind--come to Finkleman @ MU-M tomorrow night for a couple of hours of musical treat with the legendary BELA FLECK and ABIGAIL WASHBURN!</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>C U THERE!</div>]]>
   </description>
   <pubDate>Fri, 18 Oct 2013 12:32:29 +0000</pubDate>
   <guid isPermaLink="true">http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5492&amp;PID=39901&amp;title=council-candidates-answer-questions#39901</guid>
  </item> 
 </channel>
</rss>