<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="RSS_xslt_style.asp" version="1.0" ?>
<rss version="2.0" xmlns:WebWizForums="http://syndication.webwiz.co.uk/rss_namespace/">
 <channel>
  <title>Middletown Forum : One Hundred Years Ago</title>
  <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/</link>
  <description>This is an XML content feed of; Middletown Forum : News, Info and Happenings outside Middletown : One Hundred Years Ago</description>
  <pubDate>Tue, 06 Oct 2026 14:29:37 +0000</pubDate>
  <lastBuildDate>Wed, 17 Dec 2008 11:20:37 +0000</lastBuildDate>
  <docs>http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss</docs>
  <generator>Web Wiz Forums 10.12</generator>
  <ttl>360</ttl>
  <WebWizForums:feedURL>www.middletownusa.com/forum/RSS_post_feed.asp?TID=786</WebWizForums:feedURL>
  <image>
   <title>Middletown Forum</title>
   <url>http://middletownusa.com/images/blog-logo.jpg</url>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/</link>
  </image>
  <item>
   <title>One Hundred Years Ago : THE YEAR 1908 This will boggle...</title>
   <link>http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=786&amp;PID=3330&amp;title=one-hundred-years-ago#3330</link>
   <description>
    <![CDATA[<strong>Author:</strong> <a href="http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=106">Middletown News</a><br /><strong>Subject:</strong> 786<br /><strong>Posted:</strong> Dec&nbsp;17&nbsp;2008 at 11:20am<br /><br /><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 18pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman','serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA"><U>THE YEAR 1908</U></SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman','serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA"> <BR><BR>This will boggle your mind, I know it did mine! <BR>The year is 1908. <BR>One hundred years ago. <BR>What a difference a century makes! <BR>Here are some statistics for the Year 1908 : </SPAN><I><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 24pt; COLOR: #ff1f10; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman','serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA"><BR>************ ********* ********* ******</SPAN></I><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman','serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA"> <BR><BR>The average life expectancy was 47 years. <BR><BR>Only 14 percent of the homes had a bathtub. <BR><BR>Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone. <BR><BR>There were only 8,000 cars and only 144 miles <BR>Of paved roads. <BR><BR>The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph. </SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 18pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman','serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA"><BR><BR>The tallest structure in the world was the </SPAN><U><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 18pt; COLOR: teal; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman','serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA">Eiffel Tower</SPAN></U><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman','serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA">! <BR><BR>The average wage in 1908 was 22 cents per hour. <BR><BR>The average worker made between $200 and $400 per year . <BR><BR>A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000 per year, <BR>A dentist $2,500 per year, a veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000 per year, and a mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year. </SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 18pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman','serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA"><BR><BR>More than 95 percent of all births took place at </SPAN><I><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 18pt; COLOR: #e10000; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman','serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA">HOME</SPAN></I><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman','serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA"> . </SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 18pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman','serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA"><BR><BR>Ninety percent of all doctors had </SPAN><I><U><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 18pt; COLOR: #c20000; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman','serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA">NO COLLEGE EDUCATION!</SPAN></U></I><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman','serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA"> <BR>Instead, they attended so-called medical schools, many of which <BR>Were condemned in the press <U>AND</U> the government as 'substandard. ' <BR><BR>Sugar cost four cents a pound. <BR><BR>Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen. <BR><BR>Coffee was fifteen cents a pound. <BR><BR>Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used <BR>Borax or egg yolks for shampoo. </SPAN><U><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 18pt; COLOR: teal; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman','serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA"><BR><BR>Canada</SPAN></U><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman','serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA"> passed a law that prohibited poor people from <BR>Entering into their country for any reason. <U><BR><BR>Five leading causes of death were:</U> <BR>1. Pneumonia and influenza <BR>2. Tuberculosis <BR>3. Diarrhea <BR>4. Heart disease <BR>5. Stroke <BR><BR>The American flag had 45 stars. </SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 18pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman','serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA"><BR><BR>The population of </SPAN><U><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 18pt; COLOR: teal; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman','serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA">Las Vegas , Nevada</SPAN></U><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman','serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA">, was only 30!!!! <BR><BR>Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and ice tea <BR>Hadn't been invented yet. <BR><BR>There was no Mother's Day or Father's Day. <BR><BR>Two out of every 10 adults couldn't read or write. <BR>Only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated from high school. </SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 18pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman','serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA"><BR><BR>Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at the local corner drugstores. Back then pharmacists said, <I>'Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind,regulates the stomach and bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health.'</I></SPAN><I><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman','serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA"> </SPAN></I><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman','serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA">( Shocking? DUH! ) <BR><BR>Eighteen percent of households had at least <BR>One full-time servant or domestic help. <BR><BR>There were about 230 reported murders in the <I><U>ENTIRE !</U></I> </SPAN><I><U><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 18pt; COLOR: teal; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman','serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA">U.S.A.</SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 18pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman','serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA"> !</SPAN></U></I><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman','serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA"> </SPAN><I><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 18pt; COLOR: #c20000; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman','serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA"><BR><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"></SPAN></I>]]>
   </description>
   <pubDate>Wed, 17 Dec 2008 11:20:37 +0000</pubDate>
   <guid isPermaLink="true">http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=786&amp;PID=3330&amp;title=one-hundred-years-ago#3330</guid>
  </item> 
 </channel>
</rss>