FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Balloon Festival

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Balloon Festival
    Posted: Mar 31 2009 at 1:54pm

Is this for real? From the MJ:

When the Ohio Challenge hot air balloon festival lifts off in July, it will do so with a few changes.

The parking entrance for the event held July 17-19 will be moved to the Hook Field airport entrance off Ohio 4, with a free shuttle that will take visitors to Smith Park.

"We're trying to make it safer and less cumbersome ... there's limited hard surface parking (off Tytus Avenue) and we wanted to be careful of parking people on the grounds there," said Ann Mort, event spokeswoman. The Ohio Challenge has teamed with the airport and with the Middletown Aviation Foundation to help make this possible. The pedestrian entrance will remain at Tytus Avenue.

A few points to ponder:

Will those who have children want to pack strollers, coolers, blankets, etc on a shuttle when they could simply remove then from their cars and go as they have in the past with parking inside Smith Park?
What about those who may need to make multiple trips to their vehicles.
Tytus Ave was always backed up with traffic. I can't imagine the mess on Germantown Rd.
Mort says there is limited hard surface parking off Tytus Ave. Can anyone tell me where all the hard surface parking is located at the airport?
Will this help increase attendance? I'd be suprised! Of course weather is a factor.
These are just a few off the top of my head.

I believe the real cause of this were some complaints from some of the sports groups.
I think they should leave it the way it's been in the past.  JMO

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2009 at 2:56pm

Hmm...I wonder where the "executive parking" will be???

Perhaps I'll park in the "added value" parking lot across from Bi-Centennial Commons and ride my scooter up the "bike path" to Smith Park.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2009 at 3:18pm
Welcome 409 and thanks for the nice informational post!
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
MadisonMom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2009 at 9:18pm
Thanks 409. I will make sure the committee knows of your concerns. Our "first" meeting of the entire committee is tomorrow night.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2009 at 11:59pm

MadMom...I (we) appreciate that. In discussing this parking scenario with others, we all feel this will be detrimental to increasing attendance and an inconvenience. Likewise, I believe most would like to see this event continue through the years. It just won't happen if attendance keeps dropping. Also, a good time for a reasonable price in this economy.

Impala SS View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2009 at 1:28am
Why dosent  Ann Mort Keep her nose out of it? She is part of the reason the attendance is down. When you have a good thing going you leave it alone. Thats why I do not go any more. Does she have a degree in balloon shows? I think not.
riverwind View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riverwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2009 at 7:06am
Ann Mort has been associated with the Ohio Challenge since its inception. Her hard work and experience in public relations has helped the event to grow as it has.

And no, I am neither a relative nor a city person

River Wind
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2009 at 8:49am
I agree with River.
Despite many areas wher I don't jive with Mrs.Mort's thinking, I see her as a long-term great asset to our community in so many ways.

She has made many things happen, and many more things happen much better.

I like her and trust her.
She is a strong piece of the puzzle, and we have room for her efforts/thinking as well as that of everyone else.
The true path to area success/improvement is the melding of the Mort group with the alternative thinkers represented here, and everyone else who wants to be involved.

She(and her husband) have done infinitely more than their share around here.
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2009 at 10:26am
I don't know why you jump on Ann Mort all the time. People like Ann are the people getting things done in this town. What have you done that is as good as any 1 think Ann has done?
Impala SS View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2009 at 5:51pm
Mr Jonathan   I have taken care of people with AIDS for over 20 years.  I took them in my home when nobody would even speak to them. I took care of them till they died, I have held little babys when they took there last breath. Which is more important a persons life or the good old boys club? You tell me.
MadisonMom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2009 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by 409 409 wrote:

MadMom...I (we) appreciate that. In discussing this parking scenario with others, we all feel this will be detrimental to increasing attendance and an inconvenience. Likewise, I believe most would like to see this event continue through the years. It just won't happen if attendance keeps dropping. Also, a good time for a reasonable price in this economy.

www.midfirstohiochallenge.com

Please go to this site and voice your concerns. There are e-mail contacts on this site. They know there are people not happy with the new parking for 2009. BUT there are extenuating circumstances that sort of forced the executive committee's hand. The executive committee has been working on this for months. This event takes almost a year to plan. Lots of good people doing something that Middletown should be proud of. Besides holding down a full time job, this is strictly volunteer.

409, more about this event will come to light in the next few months.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2009 at 9:46am
Thanks MadMom
Impala SS View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2009 at 4:35am
DisapproveWill the shuttle be set up for handicap people? My sister comes from Columbus Ohio every year, she is in a wheelchair and she brings her grand kids with her. I told her about the change in parking, she said it would make it hard on her with the kids.So she said she would not be coming this year and she would not be coming back for light up Middletown also. She said Middletown is really going down the tubes fast. She comes to visit all the time and says the magazine article is true, Middletown is dieing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic