FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bill Becker Says Time For A Change

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bill Becker Says Time For A Change
    Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 12:09pm
[SCRIPT] var so = new SWFObject('http://www.middletownusa.com/mediaplayer.swf','BeckerbacksjoshVideo','400','300','8'); so.addParam('allowfullscreen','true'); so.addVariable('file','http://www.middletownusa.com/video/BeckerSpeeks%5Fconverted%2Eflv'); so.addVariable('overstretch','true'); so.addVariable('backcolor','0xFFFFFF'); so.addVariable('autostart','false'); so.addVariable('height','300'); so.addVariable('width','400'); so.addVariable('overstretch','fit'); so.addVariable('image','http://www.middletownusa.com/video/previews/BeckerPic%2Ejpg'); so.addVariable('logo','http://www.middletownusa.com/video/data/musa-logo.png'); so.write('Beckerbacksjosh'); [/SCRIPT]
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 12:11pm
I shot the the above video last night at the city council meeting. And while I agree with everything Mr. Becker had to say, my only question is why didn't you speak up at the last meeting when all the union guys were there??
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 12:37pm
Mercy! The good part about this from Becker is that he actually said something during the meeting (instead of sitting there like a toad on a log) and that someone on council, other than Mr. Laubach, needed to address the "city going bankrupt if we continue to avoid addressing union and other issues" The bad part about this is that we have been saying for months (at least since Mr. Laubach mentioned it and brought it up at the meeting when outside union people stuck their nose in Middletown's business) on this forum what Becker has just now realized (at least openly) What took him so long to say something? Why did Becker just now offer an opinion? When will the next councilmember speak up....better yet, when will a majority of councilmembers actually deal with the city union negotiators and say no, we can't afford your demands anymore? The city's financial survival trumps the union's happiness. If the city goes bankrupt, these same public union workers, who won't give an inch, will be walking to their next job and will have drained the hand that fed them.
acclaro View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 1:12pm
How can the city being fiscally sound when it was using a drawl down on the General Reserve Fund for 2010 which for years, was always communciated by Mr. Lyons, if that reserve was down below 25%, it would cost the city more on bonds, and borrowing. It sounded to me he was stating exactly what Mr. Lambaugh ad brought forth in his motion. Tragically, while Warren County has thrived, Middletown will be holding the bag, and this situation will only serve to harm the resident and property owner more in the future. When your city is facing bankruotcy, with all of Middletown's other problems, do people move in or people move out?

Kicking the can down the road has caught up with the city. At  the same time he references the union pay and benefit issues, he also was an accomplice in passing the cash to CSCC and the PAC, and others. "We are facing bankruptcy but here's the check for $20 Mm for PAC and State." What planet am I on?     
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 1:17pm
I have given Becker Kudos before for saying the same thing.  As a matter of fact Becker keeps repeating this same thing over and over and over and then when it came time to actually put some action to his words he crawled under the table.  Basically the same statement has been made by Becker numerous times, the peoblem being no one ever acts on the issue.  Now we are going to discuss it in the RETREAT in January.  Any bets come Dec. 2011 we will be still avoiding the subject.
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 1:35pm
      Here is a website to go to that will give you plenty of insight as to what we are going to go through and what the issues are.
               www.galvestoneconomicreport.com
      I found it most informative and hope you will also.
      In all fairness, Bill Becker has been warning us of the coming disaster since his last night as city manager. The problem is as Pacman says no one acts on it.
      Paul Nagy
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 1:53pm

Please tell me on what date City Council voted and approved to draw down the reserves to 15%.

I have researched this several time and have found nothing!!
Time to get answers on this question

acclaro View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 2:56pm

What he did not FACTOR IN was what will happen when the city income tax is reversed back to 1.5%. Why would it pass, what progress has been made? None. It is the resident and community that gets the brunt of these inactions. While Mr. Becker may indicate there is a problem, he also has a habit of one solution Paul, in all due rspect to you. Its called raising the tax rate. I cannot see how that would possibly fly, nor can I see the current 1.75% staying in place, unless everyone stays home.

Vivian, I have nothing which I can provide where they voted to dip into the reserve, but have read about its occurrence often this year. I can vividly see John Lyons arguing that the reserve was "untouchable" at 25% because of solvency and the added costs for borrowing, but am quite certain its been approved to be dipped into bringing it to 15%.

At the retreat, will they talk about selling assets like Wearherwax, the airport hanger, others? Or just kick it down to how to plan for the tax hike, and how to get the votes. I say the latter. The bottom in real estate in Middletown is no where near the bottom. Unacceptable. 
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 3:42pm
Drawing the reserve down was NOT voted upon at a regular, legal council meeting.
It was decided with "nods" to the City Manager, explicitly NOT actual votes,  at one of the so-called "finance subcommittee" meetings, which was actually a "pre-arranged discussion of city business with at least a quorum of city council (five, actually, plus the city manager and the finance director) present.
I know this for a fact because I was there.  I have the date, attendees and notes, in a pocket-sized notebook somewhere, but I believe it was possibly October of 2008.

acclaro View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 4:09pm
As someone prophetically stated, the term, "let them eat cake" is accurate. While city hall feasts, our assets have been ruined. Granted, the 2008 meltdown was dispeccable based on derivatives, but PAC, CSCC, additional employees, is just too much to take. At least the people of France did revolt.

What a coincidence the letter from the Middletown Historic Society happens to appear after it is determined CSCC culinary school will not be in need of the "other assets" Middletown is acquiring.

At least the Middletown Symphony can play and give comfort as the Titantic begins its descent in 2011. All the boats are filled....with city employees (and friends of family).    
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 5:14pm
Becker said "$8.4 million in the next 4 years" thats $2.1 million per year so look for that levy to come with the spring in 2011 folks. No doubt in my mind Becker was chosen to speak about this last night. As many have said Becker usually stays in the shadows but he stepped to the plate last night and IMO that was very uncharacteristic of him. I've said this about myself before and I'll say it again,I'm very pessimistic about this administration and in my opinion what you seen and heard from Becker was nothing but a dog and pony show.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Guest View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2010 at 9:54pm
Woe is me.
This city is so full of troubles, but what can I do?
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2010 at 6:15am

MHS just received $5,000 in City funds to repair the front façade of the Pickwick Building on Main Street.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2010 at 6:28am
Some of the remaining $200,000 from the million that George Crout left the city perhaps, or did this money come from the infamous "General Fund", the catch basin for all diverted funds in the on-going magical mystery tour of city financing?
TracyGreeny View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TracyGreeny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2012 at 11:54am
How can the city being fiscally sound when it was using a drawl down on the General Reserve Fund for 2010 which for years, was always communciated by Mr. Lyons, if that reserve was down below 25%, it would cost the city more on bonds, and borrowing. It sounded to me he was stating exactly what Mr. Lambaugh ad brought forth in his motion. Tragically, while Warren County has thrived, Middletown will be holding the bag, and this situation will only serve to harm the resident and property owner more in the future. When your city is facing bankruotcy, with all of Middletown's other problems, do people move in or people move out?

Kicking the can down the road has caught up with the city. At  the same time he references the union pay and benefit issues, he also was an accomplice in passing the cash to CSCC and the PAC, and others. "We are facing bankruptcy but here's the check for $20 Mm for PAC and State." What planet am I on?    
Classic Bridesmaid Dresses/Black Junior Bridesmaid Dresses/Sheath Wedding Dresses/Maternity Wedding Dresses
Tracy
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2012 at 12:27pm
$20 million...what are you talking about?
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2012 at 1:09pm
Just another spammer doing a nonsensical cut & paste.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic