FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Celebrations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Celebrations
    Posted: Jun 16 2013 at 12:31am
Journal story...

School celebrates students passing state tests
Mayfield Elementary holds a red carpet event for pupils.

1 16 0 21
By Hannah Poturalski
Staff Writer
MIDDLETOWN — School districts across the state will receive preliminary results on Monday on how students fared on the annual Ohio Achievement Assessments.
Dawn Crook, principal at Mayfield Elementary, eagerly awaits her school’s results so that she and the staff can send out invites and make personal calls home to students that passed one or more tests.
Mayfield is prepping to host its Second Annual OAA Honors Reception at 6:30 p.m. June 27 inside the school on Burbank Street.
“It’s an attempt to celebrate students’ success,” Crook said.
Third and fourth graders are tested in math and reading; fifth graders are tested in math, reading and science. Previously the OAA tests were conducted earlier in the year and schools could honor their students before the year ended.
When the tests shifted to April, Crook said she wanted to create a summer recognition program for students.
During the inaugural celebration last summer, 175 families — or 83 percent of students — were invited to the ceremony. One family even arrived in a limousine, Crook said.
“Families were excited and appreciative we took the time to honor them,” Crook said.
All students in grades 3-5 who passed at least one OAA test are invited to the red carpet affair — complete with medals, cake, certificates, a VIP area for teachers and an area designated for parents — or paparazzi — to take their child’s photo as they come down the red carpet.
Crook said the honors reception has been a motivator for students during the school year.
“I anticipate quite a few this year because we practiced a lot and did well with benchmark assessments,” Crook said.

A NICE IDEA TO RECOGNIZE THE ACHIEVEMENTS OF THE STUDENTS.......HOWEVER

ARE THE SCHOOLS, BY BEING SO KIND AND GENTLE, PRESENTING A FALSE PICTURE FOR THE KIDS WHEN THEY ACHIEVE SUCCESS AFTER SCHOOL IS OVER AND THEY ARE OUT IN THAT COLD CRUEL WORLD WE ALL CALL WORK?

SOMETIMES, RECOGNITION FOR HARD WORK AND DOING A JOB WELL ISN'T HANDLED IN THIS WAY. SOMETIMES, HARD WORK AND SUCCESS IS MEANT WITH INDIFFERENCE AND, AT BEST, A "GOOD JOB" OR "NICE GOING" COMMENT. NO RED CARPET, NO CERTIFICATE, NO CEREMONY MARKING THE EVENT......SOMETIMES NO ACKNOWLEDGEMENT AT ALL, BUT RATHER A "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY" ATTITUDE FROM THE CEO'S AND UPPER MANAGEMENT. SOMETIMES UPPER MANAGEMENT LIKES TO PIT BIG SHARK AGAINST BIG SHARK TO SEE WHO RISES TO THE TOP AND WHO FALTERS, WITH THE WINNER BECOMING THE STAR.....UNTIL THE NEXT ROUND OF COMPETITION ARRIVES AND THE PREVIOUS WINNER IS PLACED OUT OF FAVOR WITH THE BIGGIES.

ARE THESE TYPES OF PROGRAMS, CREATED BY THE SCHOOLS, REALLY SHOWING THE KIDS THE REAL DEAL? ARE THEY HELPING THE KIDS DEAL WITH UNFAIRNESS, INEQUITIES, PRESSURE, COMPETITION AND DISAPPOINTMENT THAT IS COMING THEIR WAY WHEN THEY JOIN THE RANKS OF THE WORKING CLASS? OR DO THE KIDS COME OUT OF THIS THINKING ALL IS WELL, WITH GUARANTEED REWARDS COMING MY WAY, BY ACHIEVING? I WONDER.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2013 at 11:54am
Glass half-empty once again I see.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2013 at 12:21pm
VET,

This is elementary school, but we'll let you stand at the front door and kick 'em in A** on the way out...

Will this make you happy? Wink

PacmanCool
blue7 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2013 at 12:59pm
These test results are used as the grading scale for the city's schools. So, if more 3rd graders pass the OAA, then our report card goes up. If our schools rate better, our city will rate better.

The way you post, you should be standing outside throwing confetti at those kids thanking them. All schools use incentives for these tests. Workplaces that have sales use
incentives too. The results going up are an incentive for people to move here.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2013 at 1:35pm
We  must appreciate anything positive that happens around here, especially improvements in elementary academic achievement. Improvement at that level is most important, and will lead to continued improvement as these students progress through the system. Only logical.

After spending a little time on the Conduct and discipline committee, I am encouraged by what I see happening at the elementary level. Staff seems to be working very hard and well-intended. These results are wonderful, however no great surprise. I think that we are are a good course, with the right people running the show. Could it be more lean?? Probably so, but that is prospective coming from a small business angle vs.bureaocracy.

These kids will find out about the rest of life soon enough.

jmo
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2013 at 8:24pm
Bill, Pacman and Blue 7. If you will notice, I started my comments out with a congratulatory statement. I then proceeded to attempt to introduce a thought provoking statement for the purpose of discussion coming from all angles. I can see by all of your comments that "thought provoking" isn't your cup of tea but rather, using tactic that I sometimes use, you went south and chose to use the "defend the kinder/gentler" approach with coddling being the end result. Believe it or not, there are still people in this world that need a boot in the ass once in a while. Otherwise, we have what you all sanction........a softer, spoiled, all is right in the world attitude being built into the kids. WHAT IN THE HELL ARE THEY GOING TO DO WHEN THEY STEP OUT IN THE WORKING WORLD IF THEY'VE BEEN CODDLED FROM 1ST GRADE THROUGH THE SENIOR YEAR OF HIGH SCHOOL? YOU AND OTHER PEOPLE LIKE YOU WHO WANT TO TREAT THESE KIDS WITH KID GLOVES AIN'T DOIN' 'EM ANY FAVORS IMO. We shall agree to disagree with an appropriate approach to their upbringing and education.

And yeah, Bill, the dam glass is half empty in my life. Never had any reason to think otherwise.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2013 at 10:37pm
“It’s an attempt to celebrate students’ success,” Crook said.
During the inaugural celebration last summer, 175 families — or 83 percent of students — were invited to the ceremony. One family even arrived in a limousine, Crook said.
“Families were excited and appreciative we took the time to honor them,” Crook said.
Crook said the honors reception has been a motivator for students during the school year.
“I anticipate quite a few this year because we practiced a lot and did well with benchmark assessments,” Crook said.
Sounds like a good, motivational  program that has produced great results.  Excellent idea, Ms. Crook.  chmoore
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2013 at 1:39am
Sometimes the glass is neither half empty nor half full.

Sometimes the glass being used is just twice as big as it needs to be!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
blue7 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2013 at 2:02pm
Well the Mayfield area of Middletown isn't exactly the mecca of celebration and money. I think this principal is trying her hardest to find a motivation for these kids to succeed. The school that my children attend do nothing except have the regularawards assembly. Maybe the socio-economic climate in Mayfield warrants more grandiose celebrations? Celebrating success is actually a good thing. Celebrating academic success is about the best thing a school could do. I think Mayfield has just in the last couple years climbed out of academic emergency.
processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2013 at 3:17pm
Great points blue7.  I agree that celebrating success tends to lead toward more success..which is exactly what the schools need.

My recollection is that Mayfield was rated effective in 2010, continuous improvement 2011 and continuous improvement 2012.  I don't remember if, and when, they were in academic emergency.  Hopefully they can get back to effective in 2013.  That would be a cause to celebrate.
blue7 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2013 at 10:24pm
I must have confused them with another school or had my information wrong. I thought the students from that area were allowed to take part in the voucher program to other schools and the criteria for that was for a school to be in emergency standing. I apologize. Maybe I'm thinking of another school.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic