FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need help with Time Warner issue!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Armychick View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Armychick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help with Time Warner issue!
    Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 3:42pm
Hello! My daughter & son-in law live in Middletown. They're a young couple, living pay check to pay check.

They use Time Warner for cable & internet & have their payments set up to auto deduct on the 30th of each month.

Time Warner took it upon themselves to deduct the payment 2 weeks ahead of time, with no notice & it gave them a negative banking account balance! Their bill was NOT overdue.

When she called to see why they did that, they said they didn't know & they'd have billing call them back...which hasn't happened as of yet.

****MY QUESTION: What other internet service provider is available in Middletown & if anyone has any feedback on customer service, etc., it would greatly be appreciated.    

THANK YOU!!!
Armychick View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Armychick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 11:25pm
Well it looks like there are no other Internet providers in Middletown other than Time Warner.

Thanks anyway, Middletown.
viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 7:01am
Time Warner sucks. I would get Verison Fios if they had it here, but they do not unfortunately. Only other option is one of the dish providers but I don't like them much either. TW just started charging everyone to "rent" their cable modems too. However, you can buy your own if you want to. I am going to ask for a newer modem since I am renting it anyway. If I don't get one, I will just buy my own. We just get our bill mailed to us, but it has started to come a lot later than normal.

So basically you have to choose from crappy TW.. crappy dish providers... or not cable internet/tv. :(
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 9:04am
Cincinnati Bell has DSL available, but it is slow in Middletown.
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 9:55am
I have my auto pay from TWC go to my Credit Card instead of my bank account for that reason. That way if there is an issue I can dispute it with the Credit Card Company.

They can either get DSL, Clearwire, or Internet service through the Cell Phone Companies.

Also if you have TV service through TWC, Dish or Direct TV, you will not carry any of the Dayton Local Stations, Just Cincinnati. That was the main reason I went with TWC because you get both Dayton and Cincinnati Locals. Also my reception for the over the air stations suck where I live.
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 9:57am
If you need help picking up Local Stations over the air, this website helps a lot.
http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/maps/
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 7:39pm
Does anyone ever wonder why we don't have any choice of cable (TV and broadband internet) providers in Middletown or why Time-Warner seems to have a monopoly???
Ever wonder if anything could be done to LOWER our cable rates???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 8:15pm
all the time Mike. I have proposed this question before, just not sure if it was in this forum. I've heard that the City of Lebanon offered their own cable company and utility company at one time. Supposedly they were bought out by competitors.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 8:20pm
One option is AT&T DSL. Or you could go with that Hughesnet.com
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

One option is AT&T DSL. Or you could go with that Hughesnet.com
Pac,
Those could be viable alternates for internet, but not for TV service.  Also, not all home telephone wiring is compatible with DSL.  (We tried to get AT&T DSL at our house.  AT&T stated that we could not, due to type of wiring. Note: our house was built in 1976, reportedly by quality custom builder.)
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

Does anyone ever wonder why we don't have any choice of cable (TV and broadband internet) providers in Middletown or why Time-Warner seems to have a monopoly???
Ever wonder if anything could be done to LOWER our cable rates???
The answer is:  The CITY awarded Time-Warner exclusive rights to provide cable within the City of Middletown.  In return, Time-Warner pays the CITY a yearly fee (which TWC conveniently tacks onto our bills every month) and provides a "local access channel" to Middletonians.  (The City, however, refuses to allow citizens to "access" the "local access" channel.)

Now, the CITY is supposed to "review" the performance of the cable services provider periodically to assure that it is meeting the needs of the citizens, and City Council is supposed to accept new proposals from cable service providers, but I can't recall that last time this was done.

TWC recently raised rates on their basic cable plus broadband (exising) customers from $103 to $126 per month.  I cannot understand how this is "in the best interests of the citizens of Middletown" especially given the fact that 54% of the city meets Director Adkins' criteria of low income.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 12:09am
AT&T or cinci bell depending if you are close enough to their equipment or not, other then that twc is the only viable option satelite just plain sucks as far as speeds go and its very expensive also you can still get earthlink it shares the same lines and equipment as time warner and I do think time warner services the line but you get billed and talk to earthlink.

I was hoping that someone would start offering hook ups to that multi million dollar fiber optic cable thats been sitting there doing nothing for the last how many years.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 6:53am
Bocephus:

No one (except Time-Warner Communications, Inc.) can use the fiber-optic cable (or provide any other type of cable TV service) as long as TCI holds the sole franchise with the City of Middletown to provide cable TV services within its city limits. 

Note: See Middletown Codified Ordinances, Section 813, and Middletown City Ordinance O93-95
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 8:38am
Anyone else have HD channels that was free at one time that are not free now?Im making my way to the office today with equipmeant in hand to get a explanation.Angry
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 10:58am
Mike this is the fiber optic cable I was speaking of it was build for use of businesses but a long time ago there was talk about using it for local broadband also but havent heard anything else about it.

Telecommunications

West Chester Township recognizes the importance of telecommunications to the success of our business community. The Township-wide fiber optic networks provide our businesses with many broadband options. Currently, fiber optic cable extends along every major thoroughfare in the Township. Butler County built a fiber optic backbone network of 96 strands of fiber extending nearly 100 miles throughout the County. The Butler County fiber network deploys more than 9,000 fiber-miles throughout the County and connects every community in Butler County to a high-speed broadband network. Neighboring counties have followed suit and the fiber optic network is being extended throughout the Cincinnati-Dayton region. The following are two of the major organizations capable of providing reliable telecommunication services to our Township businesses.

and this ...

CINCINNATI –Former Butler County Commission President Michael A. Fox was sentenced in United States District Court to 48 months in prison for accepting approximately $460,000 in bribes and kickbacks from a lawyer who owned a company doing business with Butler County.

Carter M. Stewart, United States Attorney for the Southern District of Ohio, Darryl Williams, Special Agent in Charge, Internal Revenue Service Criminal Investigation (IRS), and Edward J. Hanko, Special Agent in Charge, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Cincinnati Division (FBI) announced the sentence imposed today by Senior U.S. District Judge Sandra S. Beckwith.

Fox, 62, pleaded guilty on March 9, 2011 to one count of conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud, and one count of filing a false income tax return in 2002.

Fox accepted the money in 2002 from Robert C. Schuler, a Dublin, Ohio attorney who owned NORMAP, a company with a multi-million dollar contract with Butler County to install a fiber optic communications network throughout the county.

“Fox failed to disclose the $460,000 he received from Schuler to the Butler County Commission in an attempt to hide the improper financial relationship from the citizens of Butler County.

Fox admitted that he did not report the $460,000 on his 2002 federal income tax return.

Fox was ordered to pay restitution of $136,258 to the IRS.

Schuler’s plea agreement includes a recommended sentence of between 12 and 18 months of home confinement and a fine of $50,000. Judge Beckwith will schedule a date for sentencing.

Stewart commended the IRS and FBI agents for their joint investigation of the case, along with Assistant U.S. Attorneys Jennifer C. Barry of the Cincinnati office and Dwight K. Keller of the Dayton office, who are prosecuting the case.

http://www.justice.gov/usao/ohs/news/03-09-12.html

Are you saying that Time Warner controls that too ?
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 11:05am

iFiber’s access to fiber optic ring cut; ISP to shut down

Local Internet service provider is closing Wednesday

By Chelsey Levingston

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN — Innovative Fiber Optic Solutions LLC will close Wednesday in the latest action downtown on the late local businessman Perry Thatcher’s estate.

Cincinnati Bell Telephone Co. LLC purchased the owner of Butler County’s fiber optic ring infrastructure in a court settlement Nov. 17, said Robert Olding, president of iFiber. Normap Telecommunications LLC and iFiber were both interrelated Thatcher companies in the sense Normap owned the fiber optic ring that provided iFiber’s service.

After purchasing Normap, Cincinnati Bell told Olding that the fiber that provides service to his customers will be cut 30 days from the settlement, about Dec. 15, he said.

Think of it like a highway — Normap is Interstate 75 and iFiber provides the exit ramps. If there’s no interstate, there’s no access to the ramps.

As a result, 200 to 250 iFiber customers will lose Internet service and have to choose an alternate provider, Olding said.

“They win by abusing contracts, they win by buying it,” he said. “This was in my viewpoint a pure path to destroy iFiber.”

Cincinnati Bell officials on Monday could not be reached for comment regarding its decision.

A lawsuit filed for Normap in Franklin County in April 28, 2009, claimed Cincinnati Bell was trespassing on its property, according to court documents. Cincinnati Bell was subcontracted to construct the Butler County fiber optic system by Normap, which owned the system. Cincinnati Bell was accused of “piggybacking” or “overlashing” its own cables, according to court documents.

Founded in August 2001, iFiber was the first graduate of the Dayton Entrepreneur Center. The company was recruited to Middletown for the Butler County Fiber Optic Initiative.

Several properties owned by Thatcher, who died Jan. 28, have been active recently. Properties owned or partly owned by his estate, such as The Manchester Inn and iFiber’s building 2 N. Main St., have been donated or sold to the city for a proposed branch campus of Cincinnati State Technical and Community College.

Loss of iFiber's service will be a blow to economic development, business leaders say

The loss of Innovative Fiber Optic Solutions LLC will impact economic development, availability of service and high-speed Internet prices in Butler County, say local business leaders.

The Middletown-based Internet service provider, known as iFiber, will close Wednesday, said Robert Olding, company president.

The company’s closure is a direct result of the purchase by Cincinnati Bell Telephone Co. of the county’s fiber optic ring, Olding said, because Cincinnati Bell informed iFiber that it will shut off the fiber optic cable that provides its service, he said.

Cincinnati Bell officials on Monday could not be reached for comment regarding its decision.

Adriane Scherrer, founder of We Can-Business Incubator in Middletown, said iFiber’s service was faster than cable or digital subscriber line, a selling point for high-tech companies. iFiber also had a redundant system with a wireless backup.

“The biggest thing is from a business perspective, it’s an economic development opportunity and we just lost a fabulous opportunity,” Scherrer, said. “I certainly never saw this coming.”

iFiber started in Dayton in 2001 in The Entrepreneurs Center to be a competitive metropolitan Ethernet network. It was the first graduate of the Dayton technology business incubator, according to the company. The Middletown office opened in 2002.

It had 23 employees at one point, but is currently down to three, Olding said.

The company is looking to buy fiber back from Cincinnati Bell to continue to provide service, he added. For now, service will be provided until it’s cut off.

“Now there’s no neutral carrier in Butler County, hence be prepared because your prices are going to go up,” Olding said.

Customers received e-mails last week about the closing.

T. Duane Gordon, executive director of The Middletown Community Foundation, said he received an e-mail Nov. 23 from Olding and Chris Scheper, one of the founders of Innovative Fiber, saying the company will close Dec. 1 and the fiber optic infrastructure was sold by the late owner’s estate.

“Which gave us one week notice that we’re losing our Internet service so we’re trying to put up our service with someone else to have as brief an outage as possible,” Gordon said.

Madison Twp. Administrator Todd Farler said an iFiber residential customer in the township asked him about ISP options.

“There are isolated geographic locations that aren’t serviced by companies like Time Warner,” said Farler, adding that some residents use wireless cards, for example, to access the Internet.

Go figure Perry Thatcher owned part of the cable come on city why didnt you get this in the deal ?

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 5:47pm
Bocephus,
I am sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

There were two components to Amychicks original question: cable TV and internet service.

Several posters suggested alternate broadband internet service providers.

The fiber optic ring that you described has been used by Innovative Fiber Optic Solutions LLC (and possibly by others) to provide broadband internet service (and telecommunications) within our city.

I have been addressing the cable television aspect of the question.  TCI has the EXCLUSIVE FRANCHISE, granted by the City of Middletown, to provide cable television service within the City of Middletown.

I believe that it would take action (in the form of a city ordinance) to allow any other company to provide cable television service within the city using cable or fiber optic cable (even if the fiber optic cable exists and the spare capacity is available).

The City also has certain rights of approval concerning rates and rate hikes.  They don't seem to mind that it now costs long-time customers of TCI $126 per month for basic cable TV plus broadband cable service. 
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 8:36pm
Can the City legally give a company a exclusive rights creating a monopoly?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 12:22am
Originally posted by rngrmed rngrmed wrote:

Can the City legally give a company a exclusive rights creating a monopoly?
Ranger,
That is a fair question.

As you know, I am NOT an attorney, but I believe that in Title 47, Chapter I, Sub-Chapter C, Part 76 (and other parts) of the Code of Federal Regulations, the FCC gives municipalities that legal authority under certain conditions. 

Whether or not all such conditions are met in the case of the City of Middletown at this point in time, I cannot say.  However, certainly the City Law Director is on top of all of this and would never allow the City to operate in any way that was not in complete compliance with the law, would he???
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 10:26am
LOL...I am certain that the I's are dotted and T's are crossed on this one..
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 11:48am
LOL I see your point now Mike,I wasnt even thinking of the television part of the issue. I wonder how long before people decide that 100+ a month just isnt worth paying and buy antennas for their roofs.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 7:24pm
To simplifie this whole thread...

This is my set up...

1.) Satelite - Direct TV - which work wonderful - had no issues with it, has all HD channels, I get more channels then with TWC, The Price is better - to save a litte money with DirecTV call and give them this reference code - 46510062 to save $10
2.) Phone/Internet - AT&T - both work fine - this set up save me over $60+ over previoulsy TWC+Internet and Cinci Bell Phone

PacmanCool
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 10:14pm
you can get basic cable, and use Hulu plus ($8/mo) and Netflix (min $8/mo) and pretty much see any show you want if you have a decent computer, and tv that has a HDMI port and a HDMI cable.

squeemy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squeemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 12:26pm
given all the advertising, paying for cable/satellite television is an insult.

take a look at over-the-air-broadcasting. there's over 40 channels available between Cincinnati and Dayton free to anyone willing to connect an antenna.

for broadband internet access, I suggest  DSL from those that provide your telephone landline - it can be as low a $30/month. then for video on demand, get a Roku or other streaming video box (some are less than $50) for Netflix, Hulu, and other providers - more are added every month.

There's no reason to put up with the idiots at T-W anymore - cable is truly a rip-off.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 2:37pm
Speaking of Time Warner has any one else had TWC instal cable tv in their homes and find that the tv box and/or remote control is beat up and dirty ? I know of at  least 2 people this has happened to one of them had to disenfect the remote control before they could use it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic