FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weatherwax Golf Course is a community asset

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weatherwax Golf Course is a community asset
    Posted: Feb 19 2009 at 12:26pm
I would like to assure golf course employees and the community alike, that our discussion during the Council Finance Sub Committee was centered around the fact that Weatherwax is a community asset that we want to protect, but acknowledging that there has been a deficit in recent years.  The deficit in 2008 was about $220,000.  It is good management to discuss the issues and talk about options for the future.   The golf course is fully funded for 2009.  We have great employees who care a great deal about the course; the funding issues are simply a sign of the times.    

Full City Report For FEB.16
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2009 at 3:08pm
Randy- Weatherwax is indeed a fine course for the community. With that acknowledgment, from strictly a financial standpoint, and with the course losing $200,000 last year, AND knowing that this city is financially strapped and just scraping by on the current budget, isn't this course a luxury that we can ill afford and benefits only a small number of people in the city? Isn't this like Sunset Pool in that it is a luxury cost absorbed by a city that can't even afford the basics and a small percentage of people use? Doesn't seem logical to keep it open if it's a financial liability. Time to mothball it along with Sunset until it is affordable within the city budget. JMO
kingair View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2009 at 4:52pm
With the debt service far from being paid off on the golf course, why close it? The city must still pay the debt. In these times, could the city sell the course, even for the debt service? Doubtful!Confused
Kigair200
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2009 at 4:53pm
vet--u just read about the problems at Wildwood. Forest Hills is ?able and Browns Run is having problems.

This is hardly the time to market Weatherwax

jmo
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2009 at 5:32pm
Hey Vet, that is a lot like my favorite topic, Section 8, benefits a few but costs $10,000,000.00 a year to operate in Middletown and is a drag on the City.  Don't see Council to concerned about it though. Thumbs%20Down
MadisonMom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2009 at 6:11pm
AK took care of Forest Hills. At least WIldwood is thinking. But not opening the pool.
From what I hear every weekend this summer is booked @ Weather Wax. And lots of reservations thru the week as well.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2009 at 8:44pm
Spider- my post said nothing about MARKETING Weatherwax. I said that if it was losing money to the tune of $200,000 per season, in a cash strapped city, to MOTHBALL it(and Sunset Pool) until the time was right to allow it to fit into the city's budget.( if ever) (Weatherwax loses money in good times and Sunset has too little participation to keep it open). As a business owner,could you continue to absorb a money losing venture of $200,000 per year in your stores? Keeping Sunset and Weatherwax open doesn't make any sense at all from a break even/make profit financial standpoint. As for Wildwood, Forest Hills and Browns Run CC's., I haven't seen, nor have I read where any of them are lowering their prices for a "regular" guy and his family to join.Wildwood is the first to make an attempt at luring the regular guy who wouldn't normally frequent a CC. I would think that if any business wanted to survive, that one of the first steps would be to figure out an affordable price for the masses for their product that would attract more clientele and do business by volume instead of trying to make a killing off of a few customers. Lower the prices- offer a service/product that people need, do sales pricing by volume and see if those attributes attract more customer traffic. JMO as a person with no business owner experience, but seeing things from a customer's point of view.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 12:32pm
I see there is more Weatherwax news today. Dave Tieman Head Professional for 14 years at Weatherwax  Said that they are not expecting a great year. But they are not going to fold up the tents either. He goes on to say that if Weatherwax goes public that will make four open to the public golf courses in Middletown and thats just to many. With the reputation and history of Weatherwax its best to tyr to keep it private.

2000+ View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2000+ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 1:31pm

Who ever is claiming that Sunset Pool is a drain to the city finances need to sheck their facts. AK Steel has paid for the Operations of the pool for the last two and will this year.

Repairs that have been made came from the SOS fund in year one to open,  and then more repairs this season. City employees where kind enough to donate their time to both seasons for the start up and any further costs were less than a couple thousand dollars.

I am sobered that a golf course that is costing the city X is as the manager said today "fully funded for 2009. We again have another example of recreation for the middle to upper class with little or less for the middle and lower folks
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 2:59pm
2000+-I made a comment that Sunset Pool( and Weatherwax) should be mothballed until the economy picks up and there is more interest from the residents to use the pool. We have a small percentage(less than 10%) of the city using the pool. It isn't worth the money to absorb the cost of keeping it open for so few people. Doesn't make financial sense. I realize that AK donated the funds to operate the pool for the last couple of years, but this year is going to be the last of the $50,000 per year used to run the pool. The well has dried up on the funding. What happens in 2010 when the 50 grand isn't there? With numbers like this, the pool is not an asset- it is a financial liability with alot of money spent to benefit a few- JUST LIKE WEATHERWAX- another money losing operation.Shut 'em both down-they're pumpin' crap! Why would the city keep "fully funding" a golf course when it has a history of putting the city in the hole at the end of the golfing season to the tune of $200,000! That ain't no way to run a budget.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 4:34pm
Do any of you remember the total cost of building this golf course?
I seem to remember when Weatherwax was built the cost was about $27,000 per hole x 36 holes = $972,000.
2000+ View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2000+ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 5:30pm
So Vet, Why would't the funding for the pool in 2010 be a viable issue. Who told you that the well has dried up for funding? I don't know if you have visited the pool these last summers but it's certainly important to the kids who use it. To make your sweeping statements about an aquatic recreational destination and put it in the same catagory with Weatherwax and dismiss it as expendables is amazing.  If the Manager can make a statement that Weatherwax is fully funded for 2009 with it's negative numbers of  $200 grand for what ever it covers, who wouldn't want to know why a pool that cost the city less than $5.000 annually should not be part of the discussion.   There are how many golf destinations in Middletown alone? How many within 20 Miles? How many kids from Garfield Street are found at Weatherwax during the summer? There's only one place to go to get wet and learn to swim in Middletown and it's not the Y's. I'm afraid the membership would not be thrilled to welcome the unwash to their party. There a lot more to cut in a city budget that 5 grand. Who knows what can happen 116 months, I'm sure SOS will be happy to cash your check.....
2000+ View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2000+ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 5:49pm
Vet,

Sorry for the mistake as to the number of months to raise money for 2010. It should have been 16 months. As to the percentage of those who use the pool, what percentage of the residents of Middletown use Weatherwax?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2009 at 6:36am
2000+- The well has dried up because the AK $50,000 per year funds to keep Sunset open was for 3 years and this is the last season. The well was dry before AK started the three year gift of 50 grand per year because, prior to that, the city had no funds to keep the pool open and the Sink or Swim folks could't raise enough money on their own to keep it open. If they couldn't raise enough money BEFORE the AK gift, they probably won't do it after the gift expires this year. Again, if I were making a decision on keeping it open, I would close it. It doesn't generate any revenue- it only appeals to a small percentage of the citizens-and- this city can't afford the necessities like street repair, much less the luxuries like a community swimming pool. It(they- Weatherwax) are a financial LIABILITY to the city and they both cost more to run and they provide a benefit to a very small number of citizens. There are plenty of backyard pools for the kids to enjoy. Why do you think attendance is down at public pools- most people that want to swim want the convienence of a neighbor's pool to get wet. You can buy a backyard pool to "get wet" for under a grand or less.Recreation takes on many forms, be it golf or swimming.I think you can safely lump the two together 2000. Yes, the city funds Weatherwax every year- then, after the golfing season, they report a $200,000 loss in operations time and time again. It will be worse this year as people spend more on necessities and less on recreation/entertainment.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2009 at 6:54am
2000+- Don't know the percentage of people who use Weatherwax.Not enough to cover the $200,000 loss at the end of the year. I would guess, just like Sunset, a small percentage of repeat patrons plus the high school golf matches. IMO, it is kept open for a select group of people(including the local schools) that somehow, someway, have some influence with city leaders to entice them to keep this money losing white elephant open. For us citizens that are for tight frugal spending and always comparing value for the buck, the pool and the golf course aren't good things to plow money into. They are high cost, high maintenance items and they yield absolutely nothing to the MAJORITY of the people in this city. We taxpayers are financing the course for a few to use. Something inherently wrong with that logic. Shut 'em down- they are costing us money that we can't spare.
2000+ View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2000+ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2009 at 9:16am
Could't agree with you more about Weatherwax. Haven't heard any #'s on the gate yet.

What did you get out of the McCrabb article? It's about the debt, the number's, the weather. and the absurd ploicy to fully fund it. I don't necessarly think and recreational
destination owned by the city must  support it's self, that standard was not apply in the good and bad times in the past. And spare my Armco's  arguement. Pl;ease name the city's that expect thier recreational destinations to pay for themselves ot their gone. 

When it comes to the gate. The gate is the gate. That's how everything is measured. Has been about every event since the beginning of time. the number of people who come back during any season at any time as long as they pay an admission,. they are in the total number.

With an admission of !0.000 in the last warm summer. the arguement can be made that it represents 20% of the population. What is the number of kids in the community? I realize it's all a matter of what you selling but a pool for kids of middle to lower income it worth
$5.000 , not $220.000 from the city. No one is plowing money into our community pool.
Weatherwax is high everything. the pool is not. By your standards, what ever assett the city offers to it's citizens must serve everyone last citizen. How silly. I'll buy the arguement about roads etc. But not opportunities for our youth. We're all tight with our finances, all the more reason's to offer our kids something to swim for. I moved to this community because of the family attractions available to my childern.

Please address the specific points made in my last post. No more sweeping generalities please.... Have you written your check yet.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2009 at 9:51am
No, 10,000 for the Sunset admissions does not represent 20% of the city. Most are the same repeat people who use the pool. At best, I would guess-ta-mate 5000 INDIVIDUAL patrons which makes this a severe minority of the city population that attended.You wrote- "Every asset the city offers to it's citizens must serve every last citizen"-No- every asset the city offers to it's citizens must serve A SIZABLE NUMBER OF THE CITIZENS in lean financial times. If there is only "small number" interest in entertainment the city offers, there is no need to offer it, especially in hard times. My check is given unwillingly- it's called a city tax. I send them a check every quarter as my "forced donation" to the cause , be it the pool or the golf course. Opportunities for youth?- How about Knothole baseball- Pee Wee football-Youth soccer leagues-the Community Center-Douglass Splash pad that was just built- numerous backyard pools throughout the city-basketball courts and ball diamonds at the parks- the YMCA programs? Not enough opportunities for them?-Sure there are! There, I addressed your concerns and didn't generalize.
2000+ View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2000+ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2009 at 9:58am
Thank you .......I give up... you win. These conversations are silly ... We both shoud get a life. By.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2009 at 3:22pm
2000+- Enjoyed discussing this with you. No, I didn't win, you didn't win- nobody wins when the city leaders spend money they don't have on luxuries like these two items. I have a nice life. Just do this to vent some anger and frustration with the people who have ruined this city. It is stress relief for me.
Mogwa View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2009 at 3:09pm
Taken from a weekly update to city Council from the City Manager sent May 10, 2009.

Article in Middletown Journal on Pool/Weatherwax

There was a recent guest editorial that mentioned the 2008 subsidy of $220,000 to  Weatherwax Golf Course.   The article stated that we were planning to provide that same subsidy for 2009.  That is not true.  We have fully funded the golf course operations for 2009; if the weather cooperates, the golf course will not need a general fund subsidy.

Impala SS View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2009 at 10:50pm
Why dosent the city give all the money to weatherwax golf course? Just give each child a handful of CRACK and a street corner to sell it. thats what will happen when you close the pool,THE KIDS WILL HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO,and the CITY can make more money.
2000+ View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2000+ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2009 at 8:52am
Taken from a weekly update to city Council from the City Manager sent May 10, 2009.

Article in Middletown Journal on Pool/Weatherwax

There was a recent guest editorial that mentioned the 2008 subsidy of $220,000 to  Weatherwax Golf Course.   The article stated that we were planning to provide that same subsidy for 2009.  That is not true.  We have fully funded the golf course operations for 2009; if the weather cooperates, the golf course will not need a general fund subsidy.

This whole paragraph makes no sense - am I missing something? I read the MJ article and she seems to be saying the same thing that the article said but she is throwing in the phrase "that is not true."
MerrellWood View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MerrellWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2009 at 10:30am

Concerning the May 10 2009 Weekly Update to City Council from the City Manager and regarding the Article in Middletown Journal on Pool/Weatherwax –

There was a recent guest editorial that mentioned the 2008 subsidy of $220,000 to Weatherwax Golf Course.   The article stated that we were planning to provide that same subsidy for 2009.  That is not true.  We have fully funded the golf course operations for 2009; if the weather cooperates, the golf course will not need a general fund subsidy.

I say “potato.”

She says “potawto.”

On Wednesday, May 10 I had a conversation with Mr. Russ Carolus, city treasurer, and he took no issue with the accuracy of my column of last Sunday in the Middletown Journal.

220k has been withdrawn from the general fund and according to Mr. Carolus, it may be repaid if Weatherwax is sold or has such a great year financially in 2009 that it is able to cover both 2008 and 2009 operational/debt service obligations.

The debate appears to be about the dollar amount.

Again, according to Mr. Carolus, the city will be required to provide aother subsidy of same amount or possibly more if the weather does not cooperate.

Perhaps the city manager needs to better clarify the phrase “fully-funded.”

(My column references the Tuesday, February 24 edition of the Middletown Journal entitled “City-owned Weatherwax looking for better year” by Rick McCrabb.)

2000+ View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2000+ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2009 at 2:05pm
Thumbs%20Up
Impala SS View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2009 at 9:11am
Clap sell it.Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic