FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

State Of The City Address-Upbeat/Realistic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: State Of The City Address-Upbeat/Realistic
    Posted: Mar 10 2009 at 6:58am
Mayor Mulligan will concentrate on the positives of the city. One of the topics will be the image of the city. He cites the Pride In Action group (have they really gotten a good start yet to evaluate what impact they will have?), stepping up code enforcement on properties and work being done by the youth groups (painting the Community Center). He will also address the Section 8 housing vouchers which is a negative part of the city image topic. Now we have a dilemma here in the form of a contradiction. He will talk about the good things that are happening as it relates to the city image, but he (and most of council will support the existing overabundance of Section 8 housing that is tarnishing that positive image that he is so eager to speak about. Why would Mulligan and some others want to support the saturation of a program that, by design, lowers the image in all aspects of this city? It will be interesting to hear what he has to say in defense of a city that, like Forbes reports, has a high percentage of poverty, low median income and few people with a college education. That's all true. Wonder how he will manipulate the truth? He will also talk about the funds that have been "STASHED AWAY" for the roads. Hmmmm.... stashed away??? How many other little piles of money do we have "stashed away" from public knowledge, Lawrence?
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2009 at 9:35am
VEt--if you read the latest city manager's report, the plan seems to be slowly eliminating the large % of Section 8 vouchers in the city. I believe the article hopes for an annual 10% reduction until we reach an 800 voucher cap. When families are removed from Section 8 after a period of time, allegedly those vouchers would not be replaced.

At least that is how I read the article.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2009 at 9:43am
I will be sure to link up the video on this thread.

It will be interesting to hear the Mayor's vision for Middletown.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2009 at 10:36am
Vet
I'm really glad that Mayor Mulligan is going to "step up code enforcement on properties".
We will see if any of this "Enforcement" applies to city property.Clap

And "He will also address the Section 8 housing reduction". Wink
That's not the word on the street. The fact is we will be adding to the current number. The problem is now if we do away with the Section 8 housing just think of all the empty housing that will be sitting all over Middletown. ...and all the half empty school.
Those with money and power will never let this happen.

And that "Stashed away money" Hummm...It just so happens that I'm still looking for some lost funds that the City can't seem to find. Ermm
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2009 at 2:31pm

Hmm… “Gilleland said, ‘“the reduction would only be through attrition …’”. So, is 10% per year “realistic”??? I don’t know. We’ll have to wait and see what Mayor Lawrence P. Mulligan, Jr. says.

But even if it is, let’s see: 1662 current vouchers…10% per year…can‘t use calculus because I‘ve had a beer (it‘s illegal to “drink and derive“)…let‘s try algebra… x equals the number of years…try to get to 800 vouchers…solve for x…hmmm… carry the one…add in the age of an old council member…hmm…divide both sides by the number of illegal meetings on the subject…google for the square of the hippopotamus…

WOW! That could take SEVEN YEARS…or six…or eight!!!

My question is: Does Middletown have that long???

Also, the story twice states that: “the city is willing to consider a fee based on the number of vouchers”!!, Unless they mean “based inversely to the number of vouchers”, what possible incentive will CONSOC have to reduce the number of vouchers???

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2009 at 3:11pm
I have other questions:

1.  How can Mayor Lawrence P. Mulligan, Jr. possibly be both "positive or upbeat" and "realistic" at the same time???  (Or is it possible he knows something that none of the rest of us know, like about the majority of city council planning to resign?)

2.  If Mayor Lawrence P. Mulligan, Jr. refutes the Forbes fact-based article's contention that our city has high poverty, low median household income and few people with college level education, what excuses will be left for Price to use for lack of performance of the Middletown City School Disctric???  After all, aren't these the very reasons Price relies upon to explain why the MCSD is in the bottom 10% of the state's school districts every year?

3.  Will we just be hearing another re-statement of our "crown jewels"???  You all know the list:  Our location on I-75; Weatherwax Golf Course; Bicentenial Park; AK Pavillion; Downtown and its art and mural and "water feature";  etc., etc., etc.!  (It's the SAME list that the "cheerleaders" always trot out whenever they want to distract us from the problems that they refuse to believe we have and therefore will NEVER try to solve.)

4.  Why are we warned: "don't expect the mayor to spend too much time talking about ... downtown revitalization"???  We are repeatedly told that downtown revitalization is absolutely CRITICAL to Middletown and its future.  We are constantly bombarded with expensive risky scheme after expensive risky scheme to throw tax dollars at downtown resulting in little to no results in the last THIRTY YEARS, yet now it is not worth "much time" in our Mayor's $4000 "Speech of the Year"???  Could this be because there is no way to put an "upbeat, positive" spin on all of the time, effort and MONEY that we have thrown at downtown, and that there are no reasonable fresh ideas???  (And PLEASE--not ANOTHER scheme for a clock tower, water feature, or Ye Olde _________ Shoppe to "save the day"!)

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2009 at 4:25pm
Mike you forgot "Middletown has a Bright Future" and Middletown has great Parks.

Middletown's leadership is like trying to deal with a relative or friend that is an alcoholic, "One of the most frustrating factors in dealing with alcoholism, as a relative, friend or professional, is it is almost always accompanied by a phenomenon known as "denial."

Middletown's leadership would rather say it ain't so, than admit they have problems and deal with them as a community.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2009 at 5:34pm
TIME FOR A MEETING
While I was on the phone with Mr. Adkins yesterday he informed me that the City is  getting ready to start work on the "NEXT 5 YEAR PLAN"  
We really need to get our ducks in a row so we can influnce this next 5 Year Plan.
When and where can we all meet?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2009 at 5:51pm

Mike & Vet

I was talking with a gentleman last week that owns several Section 8 properties now and has just recently purchased 3 more for under $15,000 each that he is going to rehab for Section 8, all are in the 2nd  Ward. His brother also purchased 3 homes. Word on the street is Middletown is looking for more Section 8 houses to rent. This doesn’t sound like a reduction to me?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2009 at 7:53pm
Speech excerpts sound like a rerun of the last 5 I have read about nothing earth shattering or new, except Middletown is not dying.  The poverty level is a figment of our imagination, the section 8 issue is a fairy tale, lack of College education among residents is a pipe dream, but we have the Broad St. Bash and Got Art.

They tried to blame the high rise in the poverty level in 2007 on the AK strike, when the 2010 census rolls around the poverty level will have skyrocketed, at least we know what to blame for that ahead of time the current economy.

The problem with Middletown is Middletown itself, it is stuck in a fairy tale rut downtown.  A downtown that enjoys talking about Got Art, Broad St. Bash, MidFest, Balloon Festival, Trees, Parks, a swimming pool and all of the other things that come with fairy dust and that is about it.
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2009 at 9:38pm
Lets face it Guys and Gals. Auntie Annie Mort wrote the speech. She got him elected and controls his thoughts! She has her hand in all the cities business. Is she new blood? No! We need new visions. I applaude her effort to try to revive parts of the city, but if she really cared and was not out for her own glory, she would fine young folks with a vision!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2009 at 7:00am
Smartman- Hurts me to see some of the things going on in this town. Has for over 30 years. Some of the "bad stuff" has been done by a few "newcomers" who moved here in the 80's/90's. Some damage has been done by the "old timers" that should have known better. IF Mulligan is the sounding board for Mort's agenda, the only way to fix it is to replace all of the sponsored people like Mulligan when votin' time comes around. IF your statement is correct, that people in city positions are controlled by people like Mort, with no "soldier candidates" in place, Mort will lose her strings to control her puppets. IF she is the type of controlling person you suggest, it kind of overshadows all the good Pride group stuff/Good News magazine efforts she is attempting to do doesn't it? Bottom line- us "common folk" have to find a way to break this little kingdom up with our votes or continue on our present course of living with the disasters of their agenda. How mad are we about the direction of the city? Mad enough to do something about it by changing the players/agenda? Seems like a simple recipe- vote all incumbants out, vote new idea people in- repeat as necessary to achieve the correct priorities/competent decision making abilities. As to the subject of incumbant candidates in this town, a recycling program is not a good thing. Same old tired blood, same failed results.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2009 at 7:37am
"The state of the city is strong"- "There is nothing wrong with Middletown that cannot be fixed by what is right with Middletown"--- What??? Don't know if a sizable number of realists would agree with that Mayor Mulligan.      I like the "what is wrong/what is right" statement. Clever, yet confused and with no substance. Oratory in it's finest hour!    Noticed by the photos that the usual crowd of VIP's were there. Carrolus, Gilleland, sl*gle, Schiavone, Armbruster, Sennett, Mort, Noah Powers- you know, some of the "high rollers"!   
Impala SS View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2009 at 8:14am
VetClap  I agree with you.  The statement our mayor made what is wrong/what is right?Angry  If he dosent know what is wrong he needs to step down, and let someone in there that does know what  is wrong. Angry We as citizens are tired of being held hostage.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2009 at 9:56am

I hear what u r saying smartman--HOWEVER

while Mrs.Mort & Co. played a large part in raising funds and organizing/connecting the successful Council campaigns of Mr.Mulligan and Mr.Becker(and the losing effort of Ms.Lawrence), I don't see her as dictating how any of them think. They actually think this way because they personally believe this way. You can't blame all of Middletown's issues on this group either. Plenty of names to share responsibility.

ALSO--it ain't up to Mrs.Mort to find the new younger blood to bring forward fresh thinking and to assume leadership. These faces must step forward on their own simply because they WANT to do so and have something constructive to offer.

Let's get off this tired old "blame game" and continue to unite towards improving our community one day at a time. Big steps-small steps-beautification-job creation. All pieces in da puzzle.

I know--easier said than done
But we can't give up or stop trying.

I talked with da Mayor Tues.morning.
He was upbeat, and cordial(as always), is a very good and sincere listener who I honestly believe weighs alternative opinions and options. He simply believes in the philosophy he represents with no hidden agenda. What you see is what you get. I both like and respect Mayor Mulligan. Do I agree with him on things? In many areas absolutely no! But that is fine--we must work together to bridge the differences and maybe get a little something from and for everyone.

jm blowhard o
blast away!
Impala SS View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2009 at 2:29pm
UnhappyAngry Anyone know who the moving Middletown forward committee is?  I am printing a paper they put out just as i received it. They are already working to manipulate this years election. After you read this please post your opinion on this blog and get anyone else you can to do the same.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Moving Middletown Forward Committee                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Suggestions for activities                                                                                                                    *  Recruit and train candidates for ward election in 2009                                                        * Establish committees for various activities: fundraising, issues, campaign strategy                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Candidate assistance                                                                                                                          *Workshop for selected candidates: public relations, speech coaching,                                     establish issues, raise funds($3,000-$5,000 needed for competitive                                        campaigns for each and establish budgets)                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Recruiting suggestions                                                                                                                   *Search for candidates who have been active in their wards and have                                      some name recognition                                                                                                         *set target fundraising for each candidate (1/2 support candidate, 1/2                                    from committee through fundraisers)                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Campaign suggestions                                                                                                                   *Announce committee formation and its objectives, not giving away its                                   main goal of recruiting and quietly helping groom selected candidates                                   and making sure they get on the ballot before announcing campaign                                     support for the four candidates. Keep issues to a minimum and goals                                     for candidates. When recruiting, make sure candidates are on board                                     concerning objectives and issues.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Other goals                                                                                                                                   *Consider ballot issue which would change the makeup of City Council.                                    for example: Four wards and mayor, eliminating at large seats.Wards only would make a more manageable and responsive council.                                                                                * consider future ballot issue which would make Butler County                                                 Commission more responsive by adding two members and                                                      dividing commission in what would essentially be wards. 
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2009 at 3:10pm
thanks Impala
took gonads to post that one, and don't expect it to be up 4 long.
we will get every name of this group's membership and publish likewise
shouldn't b difficult, as they should have no complaint
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2009 at 3:42pm

I have never met Mrs. Mort but I'm sure she is a wonderful woman....however....since she is being paid for her services at CVB... isn't that her JOB to be the cheerleader for the City?

What concerns me is the fact that we can't seem to tell when these people are volunteering and when they are employed by the City.
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2009 at 5:43pm
She is a very nice women. Just don't turn your back. The knife is sharp. She is very manipulitive. I base my opinion on this. Most people support 1 candidate. She ran several campaigns from counsel to school board. Make no mistake, certain folks on counsel, school board and Chamber listen to what she says and the try to implement what she says. She may say she is working for Middletown's best interest and that may be true, but she is working more to promote her own image and gain the control she had years ago. JMO
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2009 at 8:30pm
 "Ken Cohen, of Cohen Brothers Inc. and president of Middletown Moving Forward"

Is the above mentioned group the same as "Moving Middletown Forward Committee" or are they two totally different organizations?

MIDDLETOWN MOVING FORWARD CIC

Ken Cohen, President

Cohen Brothers

Lawrence P. Mulligan Jr., Vice President

City of Middletown

Bill Triick, Secretary

The Chamber of Commerce

Judith A. Gilleland, Treasurer

City of Middletown

Fred DeBiasi

American Savings Bank

Anthony “Tony” Marconi

City of Middletown

Greg Martin

Greg Martin Excavating

Alan McCoy

AK Steel

Douglas W. McNeill

Atrium Medical Center

Bill Murphy

City of Middletown

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2009 at 11:09pm
Somewhat cleaned up version.  Folks this is bad news to read stuff like this from City....dare I say leaders or MANIPULATORS.  You wonder why we have problems this makes it quite obvious, if it is accurate.

Moving Middletown Forward Committee                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Suggestions for activities  

*Recruit and train candidates for ward election in 2009*

Establish committees for various activities: fundraising, issues, campaign strategy                                                                                                                                                                               

Candidate assistance

*Workshop for selected candidates: public relations, speech coaching, establish issues, raise funds ($3,000-$5,000 needed for competitive campaigns for each and establish budgets)                                                                                                                                                                       

Recruiting suggestions

*Search for candidates who have been active in their wards and have some name recognition       

*set target fundraising for each candidate (1/2 support candidate, 1/2 from committee through fundraisers)

Campaign suggestions

*Announce committee formation and its objectives, not giving away its main goal of recruiting and quietly helping groom selected candidates and making sure they get on the ballot before announcing campaign support for the four candidates. Keep issues to a minimum and goals for candidates. When recruiting, make sure candidates are on board concerning objectives and issues.                                                                                                                                                  

Other goals

*Consider ballot issue which would change the makeup of City Council,

For example:  Four wards and mayor, eliminating at large seats, would make a more manageable and responsive council.

*consider future ballot issue which would make Butler County Commission more responsive by adding two members and dividing commission in what would essentially be wards.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2009 at 7:37am
Have known Ken Cohen(and Barry Cohen) from playing Knothole baseball with them at Smith Park in the late 50's. Seemed ok then. Lives in Maineville- has his business in Middletown and other locations. I guess Middletown's not good enough to call home anymore for ole' Kenny. With his involvement with this group, I guess we're on different teams now.
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2009 at 9:00am
Pacman:
     If the facts stated here are true, this is purely subversive and covert. It plainly removes democracy from our city elections and should be investigated. The people participating in this should be ashamed for their manipulation of elections and depriving citizens of their honest vote. All of those involved should pay to the fullest extent of the law and those who are city employees and on Council should be removed immediately. This is what has been done in previous elections and enough is enough.
    Citizens should now demand the change to our city politics that has been so long overdue. If they do not they deserve what they get. This should be that "final straw".
This is a huge scandal and I am ashamed of our city for tolerating such. Where is the integrity, honesty and fairness? I was told I would not be elected because I wouldn't take orders. Now, the public can understand there has not been democracy in this city for a long time. Those who have bowed down and taken orders should hang their heads in shame and remove themselves from office or be thrown out. Where will the legal representation come from to rectify these illegal manipulations of the election process that is the foundation of our democracy?
     Our so-called city leaders are white collar criminals and should be treated as such.
                                    Paul Nagy
Impala SS View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2009 at 12:18pm
ClapAngryMr Nagy  I agree with you 100- percent. I believe if I can get to feeling better from this cancer, I will be making a trip to Columbus Ohio to the Attorney Generals Office. I will have this info in hand and turn it over to them. What they are doing is wrong and they need to pay for it. If this is the way they do business they need to go from manager on down the line. I hope my doctor will let me make the trip.
Impala SS View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2009 at 11:02pm
ConfusedPacman              I am not sure but i think they are 2 different groups. I had someone tell me that they were not the the same group. Even at that if Ann Morts group is getting any funds from the city, they should not be using tax dollars for these dirty deals.Angry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic