FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middletown Journal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Middletown Journal
    Posted: Mar 23 2009 at 3:43pm
I have mixed feelings about the current version of the MJ.

I deal with it from the adverising dept., where the cutomer reps are very nice, helpful and do quality work. Their ad rates are way too high for their market these days, and out of line with competition(even Cox competition).

I deal with the MJ reporters often.
I am called by many for opinions on a wide range of issues.
I am comfortable talking with Richter, Pack, Greber,Wells, Aldridge,Williams, and have recently met Mr.Weaver during hs hoops season. The other reporters leave me cold, and I don't read into their writings a true understanding/knowledge of local issues. They often seem to be rushing through an important local situation because the don't understand it and honestly don't care about it because they don't understand it and in most cases don't(and have never) lived here. With Mr.Williams and Mr.Aldridge, we still have two locals with history amd local experience for the editorial areas. I was recently quoted by two writers of whom I have never met or spoken with in my life, so you figure that one.

The sports reporting has improved since MHS has come to the front of the local hs scene. In years prior, Middie coverage was horrible at best for a Middletown newspaper.

Face it--Cox bought this paper and others in the area to shift thinking towards the far left, especially for the last few elections. The liberals desperately needed strength in this midwest area and state, and have taken the long-range approach to shift thinking by pounding us daily with leftist editorialists,reporters and biased headlines. Cox news could care less about local stories, albiet importance or accuracy. Our City Council,School Board and Admins have picked up on this journalistic apathy and are playing it big time towards keeping the public un-informed and mis-informed, much to the misfortune of the concerned citizens.

jmo
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2009 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by John Beagle John Beagle wrote:

Personally I like the Middletown Journal. Its reporters are alway nice to me and generally they know about MiddletownUSA.com and MainStreetMonroe.com.

Mr. Beagle:
That's all well and good, but is it the criteria to jusdge a newspaper???

Did you see the very interesting, two-sentence story about traffic conditions this morning???  I guess that they missed the big scoop that the sun also rose today.

I dunno...maybe it's just me.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2009 at 12:09pm
Personally I like the Middletown Journal. Its reporters are alway nice to me and generally they know about MiddletownUSA.com and MainStreetMonroe.com.

I really like the Sports Reporting in the Jounal. And my favorite reporter is Skip Weaver.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2009 at 3:51pm
I have seen much turnover at the Journal. So many reporters come and go. Some were pretty good. Its sad they don't have a bigger budget because Middletown deserves its own newspaper.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2009 at 3:41pm
Jonathan- I started reading the Midd. Journal in the 50's/60's while in jr./ high school. Started subscribing to it in 1985 when I returned and bought a home here. The Journal, when run by hometown people was a great newspaper, keeping it's citizens informed of local news using in-depth reporting with few articles from Dayton or Cincinnati. Recently, I canceled my subscription because the once local Journal, has taken on an "out of town" flavor of reporting on news from other cities that don't interest Middletonians and the reporters don't ask the tough questions for fear of putting the locals on the spot. They have called me with offers to renew but I tell them no, giving the reason mentioned above. Sad to see the once informative Journal reduced to nothing more than fireplace starter. Cox has ruined the home town flavor of the paper and reduced it to just an "off the wire" publication.   
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2009 at 2:46pm
Middletown Journal
(513) 422-3611
52 S Broad St, Middletown, OH
Summary: "Since 1857, this daily newspaper has been the a source of news for residents of Middletown, Ohio. Currently owned by Cox Publishing."

The Middletown Journal is a morning newspaper published in Middletown, Ohio, United States seven days a week by Cox Communications. The paper is printed at Cox's plant in Franklin, Ohio, and distributed in Butler and Warren Counties. It has a paid circulation of about 20,000. Source: Wiki

The paper was first published January 12, 1857, as the Western Journal, a weekly paper issued on Thursday mornings, by C.H. Brock, a Middletown grocer. The name was changed to the Middletown Journal in 1859. Publication was suspended during the American Civil War, but resumed by 1871, when Brock sold the paper to E.T. Hardraker.

Owners include: McKee, Raymond, Todhunter
The paper went through a series of owners, including George H. McKee and James L. Raymond. In 1880, W.H. Todhunter acquired the paper and made it a Republican journal.

Todhunter began daily publication of the paper in 1890. The first Sunday edition was published on September 4, 1921. In 1924, the paper was purchased by Chew Publications, the owner of the Xenia Gazette.

In 1928, the paper purchased the other daily in Middletown, the Middletown News-Signal. The Journal was published as an evening paper chiefly distributed in the city and the News-Signal operated as a morning paper distributed to outlying areas. The two papers published a combined Sunday edition, the Sunday News-Journal.

Chew owned the paper until 1978, when the company merged with the Thomson Corporation, the Canadian newspaper giant. When Thomson decided to exit the newspaper business, it reached a deal to sell the Journal, the Hamilton JournalNews, and several weekly papers in southwest Ohio to Gannett, the parent of The Cincinnati Enquirer. However, Cox Communications, the parent of the Dayton Daily News and the Springfield News-Sun, had an option on Thomson's properties and the papers were instead sold to the liberal news paper company Cox Publishing. The sale was completed September 2, 2000.

In 2005, the publisher was Ann Hoffman, who replaced Edwina Blackwell Clark, and the editor was M. David Goodwin. Goodwin, a native of Tulsa, Oklahoma, became editor August 18, 2003. In 2006, Kira Lisa Warren, the JournalNews editor, replaced Goodwin, who became managing editor for presentation for Cox Ohio Publishing in Dayton.

In February 2008, Hoffman was named publisher of The Daily Advance in Elizabeth City, one of three Cox-owned dailies in North Carolina. In March 2008, Blackwell Clark was named publisher of Cox Ohio Publishing’s Southwest Group, which includes the Journal and the JournalNews of Hamilton. Blackwell Clark most recently served as senior vice president of audience for Cox Ohio Publishing in Dayton.

The Journal has been known for its sports section earned best daily sports section in Ohio for 2005 and 2006.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic