FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

More rusty gutters???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More rusty gutters???
    Posted: Mar 31 2009 at 5:19pm

More letters going out to property owners

By Ed Richter

Staff Writer

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

MIDDLETOWN — Another 800 letters will be sent this week to property owners in Middletown informing them of various property code infractions.

Doug Adkins, interim director of the Community Revitalization Department, said the city has already sent out 1,500 letters over the past few weeks informing property owners of the various issues found by city code enforcement inspectors that did a survey of the city.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2009 at 5:30pm
Here's a thought for discussion:
In this time where our city staff has been cut to the bone and is severely overworked, where have they found the time to do a complete survey of the city to find more than 2,300 "property code infractions"???

Doesn't this sound like "busy work"??  Is the city still over-staffed???  What is the normal assignment of these people the other eleven months of the year???

I don't know the answers...just wondering if anyone else thinks this sounds strange.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2009 at 6:54pm
Hell yes, this sounds more than strange, Mike.
How long did it take to inspect enough homes to issue 2300 notice letters?
And how long did it take to file, document and send these letters?
Could we get a ward breakdown on inspections vs. notices?
/On businesses vs.residential?

We certainly can't be under-staffed!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2009 at 7:32pm
I wonder if they made a list of City Responsibilities that have been ummm overlooked?Ermm
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2009 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

Hell yes, this sounds more than strange, Mike.
How long did it take to inspect enough homes to issue 2300 notice letters?
And how long did it take to file, document and send these letters?
Could we get a ward breakdown on inspections vs. notices?
/On businesses vs.residential?

We certainly can't be under-staffed!
Well, Spider, far be it from me to say for certain, but one would think that time sheets would be public documents and therefor subject to the Public Document request rules, wouldn't one???
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2009 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

I wonder if they made a list of City Responsibilities that have been ummm overlooked?Ermm
Pac: Well, given all of the cost-cutting that has taken place at City Hall, staff is probably too short-handed and overworked to be able to make that list.

Wink
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2009 at 7:24am
Mike and all- has Gilleland really made enough cuts to warrant notice? Seems on occasion, when one reads a Journal story, that it mentions another person and another city position that we aren't aware of. How about that fancy shuffling of Ginger Smith to "Revitalization Director" from Public Works Director and Dave Duritsh (?) from City Engineer to Public Works. Who's doing Duritsch's job as Engineer? Seems she is just shuffling the card deck rather than eliminating positions at city hall. How many Senior Director's and Assist Director's in these city departments do we actually have and what do all of these "support" people do to earn their paychecks? How about that Asst. Law Director to help Leslie Landon at the Council meetings? Do we really need an Asst. Law Director? Is Leslie that busy on a day to day basis? The Journal never has published a story on who Gilleland cut. We,as taxpayers, funding their salaries, have a right to know. How about it Journal- have Gilleland furnish you with the people and the positions that have been cut in the last several years and publish it. ( Same for the schools)
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2009 at 7:34am
Guy
I think they have been playing musical chairs down at City Hall.
Job description have changed and now I don't know who is responsible for what.
And don't forget many have retired.
I too would love to see the list of all the job cuts and the job increase to other departments.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2009 at 8:37am
VietVet-   The question about seeing the list of job cuts made at City Hall is a good one, and I am in the process of sending an email to some City Officials to ask for a letter stating just who and what jobs have been eliminated. Do I think I will get a straight answer? Thumbs%20Down  But I will keep you posted.    
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2009 at 8:44am
 few years ago,I was down at the City Building to take care of bizness.
Well--the person/dept. I needed to visit was not in their office and was out of the building at a time when they were supposedly on the job. No one could help me or say when that person might return.

I ?ed Mr.Becker(city manager at that time) as to whether there were time clocks or time sheets used withih the admin. He told me that NO--there were NEITHER, and they used the honor system as to coming/going to their jobs. He also stated that the system needed to be tweaked to provide a better record on tardiness, long lunches,leaving early etc. My guess is that nothing has changesd since.

So I doubt there to be any time sheets available, and this would be a good ? for the city manager and Council as to how they document attendance and hours worked.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2009 at 9:14am
Hey Spider
I made a comment once on just that subject....why didn't the City use JOB TICKETS for employees. They looked at me like I had lost my mind.
Maybe because two trucks sitting in the back corner of the cemetery for an hour doing nothing wouldn't look very good in writing...LOL...ooops!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2009 at 9:53am
Vivian- have seen some of these "caught in the act" shows where someone with a camera tapes city/ county workers asleep in their trucks sitting under a tree during working hours. Wonder if someone with some time during the day could do that- then, present the tape to Council to be played by TV Middletown during a Council meeting. (Of course, Council will refuse to allow it to be aired as it casts a negative light on our city- don't ya know! Are you reading these posts Ms. Gilleland? We, the taxpayers/salary providers, want some accountability from your city government. It's a shame a group of us couldn't go to the city building and start cleaning out the deadwood from admins on up. I'd love to do that!
Truth Teller View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Truth Teller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2009 at 1:09pm

Comments to the blog below by Ed Richter, Middletown Journal.

By Truth Teller

April 8, 2009 12:54 PM | Link to this

Hopefully, the next City Council will have the backbone to seek answers from senior city staff whenever an employee finds mismanagement or waste of funds!

Council elections could be interesting this fall

By Ed Richter | Wednesday, April 8, 2009, 11:17 AM

Now that 4th Ward Councilman David Schiavone has announced his intention not to run for re-election to a fifth four-year term on Middletown City Council, the big question is who will step up and run for the seat.

Schiavone announced he was leaving council when his term expires at the end of the year and wanted to give people who might be interested in running for the seat enough time to make plans for their campaigns.

It will be interesting to see who in the 4th Ward is willing to step up, especially since Schiavone has been a very strong candidate in past elections.

According to the Butler County Board of Elections, Schiavone was opposed once when he first ran for the 4th Ward seat in 1993. He defeated Howard Mack by a vote of 870 to 563, or 60.7 percent to 39.3 percent of the vote. Since then, Schiavone has run unopposed the last three elections.

While there is always that possibility that Schiavone might have a change of heart later in the year before the August deadline to submit petitions to run, he says that isn’t likely even though he has changed his mind before.

One other thing about Schiavone’s impending departure from council is that the city’s legislative body will lose a tremendous amount of knowledge, insight and experience.

It’s going to be tough for Schiavone’s successor to fill some pretty big shoes as the 4th Ward’s representative. It’s also means that the rest of Middletown City Council will have to step up a bit more to fill in the void of experience and knowledge that Schiavone is leaving.

Permalink | Comments (1) | Post your comment | Categories: Middletown

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Truth Teller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2009 at 10:29am

Is there a double standard for property maintenance in Middletown?

By Ed Richter | Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 12:28 PM

In the past few weeks, the city of Middletown has sent out more 2,300 letters to residents concerning a wide number of property maintenance issues that code inspectors saw as they surveyed the city’s neighborhoods earlier this year.

The letters were sent to notify residents of issues on the exterior of their homes as well as on their properties and that they were to being asked to address them. The program is part of the city’s effort to address blight as well as improving its image.

Many residents are complying with the city’s request to address those issues raised and while some are angry, the properties are getting cleaned up through this soft approach that does not have a specific deadline, city officials have said.

But the question has been raised around town about how or what the city is doing to clean up the properties that it owns and is there a double standard being applied?

For the past few years, the issues at the Middletown Cemetery has been raised but not much has been done because of the city’s delicate finances.

City officials say there isn’t funding available in its 2009 budget to spend on repairs at the Middletown Cemetery to make a number of repairs to gravestones and the vault where some of the city’s founding families are supposed to be resting in peace.

However, that is not deterring the efforts of Vivian Moon, a local resident who has spent the last several years trying to improve the conditions of the cemetery that council declared historic in 2006.

Moon claims she has been promised some funding from city officials, but has not seen any appropriated. She has had enough and is about ready to file a complaint with the state of Ohio to force the city to take care of its obligations with the cemetery. In an email sent today, April 15 to The Journal, Moon said “if its WAR they want… then it will be WAR they shall get.”

Moon and City Manager Judy Gilleland are scheduled to meet on Thursday, April 16 to discuss the issue further.

At the April 7 meeting of Middletown City Council, 3rd Ward Councilman Tony Marconi said if the cemetery or vault were privately owned, the city would have them in court to get the place cleaned up.

“I’m ashamed that nothing’s been done and there’s no plan of action,” Marconi said during the council comments on April 7.

Marconi has exchanged email with Moon saying there needs to be “a short and long term plan of action for our cemetery. This plan must include the funding sources. After 60 years I do think we should have a plan in place!!! It is sad.”

Marconi also pointed out the city’s delicate financial situation and that it has to provide essential services.

Doug Adkins, interim community revitalization director, said the city is obliged to keep up with the cemetery’s maintenance issues but is not sure about the vault. He said the city is studying the costs of what to do with the structure that is on the verge of collapsing.

Adkins said the city is responsible for keeping its properties up to code as well and that the Public Works and Utilities Department has a list of properties of city-owned properties it has to keep up with for mowing, etc.

“We should be held to the same standards,” Adkins said.

What do you think? Is there a double standard at work or do you believe the city is also struggling like other residents trying to keep their properties up to the maintenance code?

Permalink | Comments (6) | Post your comment | Categories: Middletown

Comments

By ohgodno

April 15, 2009 2:55 PM | Link to this

Well there is not funding in MY budget for new gutters and roofing on my home due to MY delicate financial situation also.

By notamiddie

April 15, 2009 11:14 PM | Link to this

There is no funding here either. I do not qualify for HUD even though I am on medical disability. No fine yet, but a certain veiled threat.

By notamiddie

April 15, 2009 11:15 PM | Link to this

There is no funding here either. I do not qualify for HUD even though I am on medical disability. No fine yet, but a certain veiled threat.

By fedup

April 15, 2009 11:52 PM | Link to this

Double standards for sure. I saw trees growing from the sewer drains last summer and trash all over this town, on the streets.Clean YOUR city first !

By Truth Teller

April 16, 2009 6:18 AM | Link to this

Past mismanagement and loss of large amounts of HUD funds will limit the aid that lower-income home owners need to correct housing code violations!

By Truth Teller

April 16, 2009 7:04 AM | Link to this

HYPOCRISY AT WORK?? It’s blatantly hypocritical for the City to flood property owners with housing code violation “love letters” while their “FHA Dollar Homes” plus the growing number of HUD-funded Housing Rehabilitation Program foreclosed homes dot the landscape of older, lower-income neighborhoods. Maybe these facts warrant closer investigation?
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Truth Teller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2009 at 12:46pm

Once again senior City of MIddletown staff know what’s best for the masses in revitalizing older, lower-income areas. The plan is simple; utilize HUD funds (CDBG and Neighborhood Stabilization Program) to bulldoze hundreds of residential properties, impose revenue-generating heavy-handed fines on the remaining residential property owners, and enjoy the ambience of newly-created non-marketable open spaces! Before long Middletown will rival Youngstown as the “Vacant Lot Capitol of S.W. Ohio!”

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2009 at 2:48pm
Exactly what type of houses are they planning on Bulldozing in these low income areas?
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Truth Teller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2009 at 5:08pm
Dear Pacman -

I wasn't privy to the list of residential properties targeted for demolition  six months prior to or after my recent "resignation" as Community Development Administrator in mid-January.

Over the past few years $100,000 in CDBG funds were budgeted annually for that purpose.  And, if the recent sentiments of City Council are followed, a revised HUD Neighborhood Stabilization Plan will budget could provide up to $1.4 million as well.

Based upon recent demolition contractor bidding results, that could mean upwards of 200 properties would be leveled.  However, there seems to be some interest on the part of senior city staff in using these "foreclosure prevention" funds for downtown purposes from what I read and hear.

There's no question that Middletown has too many properties that are beyond financial feasibility of rehabilitation.  My main concern is this: if a widespread urban renewal type demolition program is implemented, what likelihood is there for these newly vacant lots to be put to productive reuse or will they become dumping grounds for trash, used tires, etc.?

If we were to discuss this matter in person with each other, I feel certain that we'd have much in common relative to serious issues that are negatively impacting our community.

In closing, I agree with you and others that past and present senior city staff harmed Middletown's oldest and most vulnerable neighborhoods by seeking excessive Housing Choice Vouchers from HUD since 2000.  You are right on target by pointing out that our city has far more than its' fair share of vouchers plus public housing units.

"The truth will set the captives free!"
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2009 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

Exactly what type of houses are they planning on Bulldozing in these low income areas?
There is a rumor going around town that they want to raze the Sorg Mansion.  It will be interesting to see where our city's wonderful "History Aficianados" stand on this.

They have been strangely silent on the Pioneer Cemetery issues, and even though they hesitated to let Verizon install a cell tower on the old Hospital, they said not one word to stop the demolition of the 100+ year old "original wing" of that hospital!
Impala SS View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2009 at 8:26pm
Mike       The city wants to buy the Sorg Mansion and moth ball it. Thats what I was told.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2009 at 10:10pm

Well boys..I bet the City could use one of those low cost CDBG loans since it is in the low income 2nd ward and fix that little shack right up..Wink

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Truth Teller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2009 at 10:52pm
Vivian -

Hold the feet of Marty Kohler to the fire.  During my two years with the City the historic cemetery and your considerable efforts were NEVER ONCE brought to my attention.

You complied with Mr. Kohler's prerequisites back in 2005 to be eligible for CDBG funds.  Trust me, they have ample funding available to properly restore this historic treasure!

The truth will set the captives free!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2009 at 8:53am
Truth Teller what I fail to understand is why anyone would object to having a building that is "beyond financial feasibility of rehabilitation" torn down by the City.  Now I know some one brought up the issue of the Second ward being targeted for having most if not all of the homes being in their ward but if that is where most of the homes are, why wouldn't you want the eye sore next to you tore down.

Now if the City clears the lot and leaves it at least seeded I would be happy if it was next to me and it was gone.  I look at it this way. 

If I have a home next to mine that was beyond repair and abandoned and infested with god knows what and the City announced they had funds for demolition I would be calling the city and getting on their a$$ to tear down the one next to my home.  My reasoning is there is not a lot I can do for a building that is beyond repair and an eye sore, but if the home is removed and the lot does get trashed I can get on the City to clean it up.  It is a lot harder for he City to say no to cleaning up property that has trash on it, then one that has an abandoned home on it money wise.

Now knowing the City they are going to hem and haw and claim they don't have the manpower and money to clean up the lot.   One thing Middletown is good about is getting out of doing their part as far as maintaining the City, unless they can con the Citizens into doing it for free.  But I would ride them as hard as I could and in the end it may mean that I have to go over there with a trash bag and clean up the lot myself but it would get done and I would rather have a clean lot next to me, than a dilapidated home just sitting there.

Thomas Jefferson
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Truth Teller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2009 at 10:15am
Pacman -

I fully agree with you that residential properties that are "beyond the financial feasibility of rehabilitation" should be demolished.  Like you, if I owned and lived in a home adjacent to such an eyesore I would be championing the wrecking ball to remove such a derelict property immediately.

Sadly, though, there are a number of locations where houses were demolised with HUD funds and now cost the City quite a large amount of money for weed/tall grass mowing and trash removal.  Nearly all are in locations where it is not "financially feasible" to construct new single-family replacement housing.

You are correct that the majority of dilapidated homes warranting demolition are located in the second ward.  As noted in the preceding paragraph, my concern is that a wholesale clearance of up to 200 properties (CDBG and NSP Programs) would create scattered pockets of non-marketable land that would further lower fair market values in these lower-income census tracts.  I say this knowing that property demolition would remove health and safety factors.

The real problem is that large amounts of HUD monies have flowed into Middletown since the mid-1970's and too much of it was wasted.  Instead of spending $750,000 on the Maple Pork Subdivision, blowing well over $100,000 to date on FHA Dollar Homes (property taxes, property insurance and maintenance costs), etc., etc., these older areas should have been addressed long before now.  And, you are correct, loading up these vulnerable areas with subsidized housing units was and is not the solution.

Once again, we really are like-minded when it comes to the sorry state of affairs here.

"The truth will set the captives free!"

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic