FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Death of a Cemetery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Death of a Cemetery
    Posted: Apr 11 2009 at 12:09pm

DEATH OF AN OLD CEMETERY
    The death of an old cemetery doesn’t happen quickly but rather slowly and quietly over many years.
    The names of the once proud people that quietly rest there are forgotten, their descendants scattered to the wind. Soldiers, that once heard the roar of cannons and answered the call to fight for our freedom, rest quietly their battle on earth now over. Their name and battles only remembered in some dusty history book sitting on a shelf at the library.
    The tombstones marked with the family name that once stood strong and tall, gleaming in the sunshine, are vandalized and fall silently to the ground broken and forgotten. Stone by stone they start to litter the landscape.
    The peaceful green grass becomes choked with weeds and litter now replaces the wild flowers that bloomed in the springtime.
    Families no longer make the pilgrimage on Memorial Day to put flowers on the graves or wipe the dust from the tombstones nor share their stories and struggles with the new generations. Soon their names are forgotten in time.
    The City keeps growing and the old cemetery becomes an eyesore and really need to be removed because now the City needs more parking all in the name of progress.  

This story happens all over our country every year. It happens because of the inaction and apathy of the community leaders.
    And now it’s happening in Middletown, Ohio.
    Over the years the
Middletown Cemetery has been vandalized time and time again. The once beautiful stones are now rubble that littler the grounds because the  city doesn’t have time to secure the property or reset the stones. The vault that once needed only minor repairs now is in critical condition from utter neglect of our city leaders over the years.
     And now Mayor Larry Mulligan has recommend to the City Council that the scared grounds of the
Middletown Cemetery be desecrated further by the removal of the vault that once held the bodies of those buried there.
    I never thought I would live to see this day. For the first time in my life I’m ashamed to be part of the Middletown Community.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2009 at 12:36pm
If this cemrtary is not a cornerstone of our community legacy, and worthy of continued care and restoration, then just what is?

New storefronts on abandoned decaying buildings in an empty area formerly known as "downtown"?

Old mansions down S.Main St. possibly re-fuebished with HUD/CDBG $$$?

The Pickwick Building(last major function,current programs and attendance #s for the last 10 years?)?

Roosevelt School?

The old historic canal(obviously not!)?

Is there REALLY  any plan in place?
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2009 at 6:19pm
I thought you could not remove bodies from a cemetary without an act of the State Legislature. Is that so Vivian? I f they try it they'll have big legal troubles.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2009 at 6:57pm
Paul
They do not want to remove the bodies.
But Mayor Mulligan has recommended to City Council to tear down the Vault rather than repair it. Quote from Mr. Mulligan "The vault at the cemetery is a fantastic historic structure, but the benefit it provides to the whole city is limited."
The cemetery and the vault have been serving this community since 1827.
Please tell me how all the millions they have dumped downtown have benefit this comminity as a whole. And then we have "Port Middletown" How much has that little corner cost the citizens of Middletown? What benefit is it to the citizens of Middetown?
It's pretty bad when the boys at City Hall need to blackmail me with tearing down the vault in an effort to stop me from filing a legal complaint against them with the State of Ohio...but the clock is still ticking
PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE HAS BEEN NO SUPPORT FROM THE MIDDLETOWN HISTORICAL SOCIETY.
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2009 at 12:00am

The benefit it provides to the whole city, was he talking about city council?

swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2009 at 8:59pm
Here's an article from 2005 on this subject:

Middletown: City plans to renovate Pioneer Cemetery

What started as a small research project in 2003 will eventually become a complete renovation of Middletown’s oldest cemetery.

But first, City Council must declare the century-old, 7,000-plot Middletown Pioneer Cemetery as a historical landmark, which will help to secure funding in the future and honor those buried there. The 11-acre site located at Richmond Street and First Avenue is the final resting place to many of the city’s founding fathers, including those with the last name Doty, Vail, Sutphin and Tytus.

Council is expected to give the first of two readings today at its 5:30 p.m. meeting of an ordinance that would declare the cemetery a historical district.

“It really started as a little pet project, and three years later, it’s taken on a life of its own,” said Vivian Moon, a Middletown Historical Society board member and the woman spearheading the cemetery renovation.

Moon received a digital camera a few years ago from her daughter, which she used to document each of the tombstones at Middletown Pioneer Cemetery. At the time, vandals had ransacked several of the tombstones and, “It just appalled me that people would do something like that,” Moon said. So she got to work.

Without money from the city, which still owns the land, significant change was unlikely. However, Moon and several volunteers sought funding through the Middletown Community Foundation, the local historical society and other federal grants.

“How we care for our forefathers is how we show respect for the history of this city,” Moon said. “I was disappointed in the condition that I found (the cemetery) in. That’s what fired my furnace.”

This past summer, Moon and others began the first of three phases that will eventually give the cemetery a whole new look. They created flower beds, planted more than 30 trees and purchased a sign. More than $13,000 has been donated from the Middletown Community Foundation, most of which went to buying the sign and lighting designed to deter would-be vandals, Moon said.

Moon and her revitalization group have received many donations from local garden stores including flowers, a rose garden, mulch and other supplies. More beautification efforts are expected to pick up again this spring.

In the meantime, Moon and members of the historical society are transcribing the original records, some of which date back to the 1820s. The next phase of the cemetery project includes a renovation of the Victorian vault, which was used to prepare bodies for burial in the 1870s. The final phase will replace the existing chain fence around the cemetery with a wrought iron fence like that seen at other historical sites in Middletown.

“It does recognize the work that our pioneer families have done to establish Middletown,” said local historian Sam Ashworth, who is also a member of the Council for Landmarks and Historical Districts. “By having it be a nice facility that’s well maintained, it honors their achievements in the city.”

The project, which is expected to be finished sometime in 2007, is important in a number of ways, Moon said. And the appreciation she and others have received for their efforts has been well worth the time spent.

“I’ve received a million dollars in hugs,” Moon said. “I want to return that cemetery to its original look, and I want to prepare it for the next 100 years. I want to make it a beautiful place again.”

Contact Dave Greber at (513) 705-2840, or e-mail him at dgreber@coxohio.com.
makeadifference View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makeadifference Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2009 at 10:56am
Vivian - I just saw the pictures on the journal website of the cemetary.  It is a shame they are neglecting fixing this structure.  You need to file the paperwork, the only word council knows right now is demolishin - I don't think they know what the word restore means. 
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2009 at 12:10pm
SWOhio75
Thanks for posting this article. I needed a copy of it for my meeting with the City Manager, Judy Gilleland, Thursday morning.
I would like to thank these local businesses for their support over the years:
Diver,s Feed Store donates a truck load of mulch every year.
Armbruster's donates the beautiful petunia's for the front beds every year.
Ted's Rental donates the use of any equiptment that I may need...bandaids not included
Meijer's donated a big hose reel.
Bern's donated $100 worth of plants
Each of the Funeral Homes donated a large tree for the front area of the cemetery
Denny Lumber donated cement for flag pole.
The 3 Veteran Organizations donated the beautiful black flag pole.
Woodside Cemetery purchased the shrubs at cost for me which gave me a bigger bang for my buck..They also give me any support that I need about caring for a cemetery...Big Thank You to Fred & Brad.
The Middletown Community Foundation for the grants...without their support the cemetery would still be a weed field. I will never forget their support.
Marjorie Root Anderson who wrote a check for what ever I needed to get the job done.
and all those who handed me $5, $10 and sometimes more when they visted the cemetery.
Without all their support and kind words none of this would have been possible. 
THANK YOU
The Cemetery Lady
Vivian Moon
Truth Teller View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Truth Teller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2009 at 6:22pm
Vivian -

When you meet with the City Manager be certain to mention the CDBG-funded Community Improvement Program as a possible source of readily-available funds to help defray the cost of the cemetery repairs.  Through this program over the past two years, a partnership was established with Berachah Baptist Church who provides substantial no-cost volunteer labor.  To date, rehab work was done at the Dream Center, Damon Park and nearby Salavation Army facility and two home makeovers for deserving homeowners.

There's absolutely no reason why the cemetery project couldn't be the next community improvement undertaking.  God bless you for your caring and perseverance.

"The truth will set the captives free!"
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2009 at 12:39am

Ohio Revised Code

759.09 Duties of director of public service

The director of public service shall take possession and charge, and have the entire management, control, and regulation of public burial grounds and cemeteries located in or belonging to the city, subject to its ordinances. The director may direct the laying of such grounds out into lots, avenues, walks, and paths, or other subdivisions, which lots shall be numbered and the avenues named. A plat thereof shall be made so as to exhibit a fair and distinct outline of the grounds, and such plat shall be kept in the office of the auditor of the city for the use of the public

The director shall direct all the improvements and embellishments of such grounds and lots, protect and preserve them, and, subject to the approval of the legislative authority of the city, appoint necessary superintendents, employees, and agents, and shall determine their term of office and the amount of their compensation.

Effective Date: 10-01-1953

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2009 at 3:27am

The laws that govern Woodside Cemetery are the same laws that govern Middletown Cemetery. The law clearly states that the City MUST provide responsible security for the property of those buried in the Middletown Cemetery.
    The fences must stay in good repair and the gates locked at night.
    Over the years the kids have turned this cemetery into a playground and continue to vandalize this property several times a year. Every year more and more stones fall to the ground.

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Truth Teller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2009 at 5:39am

SAY IT 'AINT SO JUDY 

Vivian -

Be firm in your request for CDBG funds when you meet with Judy Gilleland!

The most recent fiscal information that I have on CDBG and HOME Program funds was obtained in mid-January of this year prior to my "resignation."  Between those two programs the City had over $700,000 in unspent funds with the program year to end now in two weeks on April 30th.

The City will shortly be receiving an additional $660,000 in CDBG and $350,000 in HOME Program funds effective this May 1st.  Plus, the City is getting an additional $180,000 in stimulus CDBG funds plus $490,000 in Department of Energy stimulus funds.  On top of that, they have $2.144 million in Neighborhood Stabilization Program stimulus funds as well.  To say they have no funds for the historic cemetery project is bogus and predictable since there (sadly) is no longer any citizen oversight committee!

Be sure to let her know all of that as I'm afraid you will receive an incorrect and misleading "song and dance" once again.

Nelson Self
CD Administrator (Resigned)
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2009 at 6:37am
Thank you very much for all of your helpful information, Mr.Truth Teller.

You were also helpful to the attempted Weed and Seed effort in the 2nd Ward.
And thank you for joining and participating in this forum. To my knowledge, everyone here is honest and seeking the truth in their differing methods to bring our city together.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2009 at 7:27am
Thanks Truth Teller
I'm aware of the amount in the CDBG funds Big%20smile...the city buzz words are now  "OUR PRIORITY LIST"...the problem for the past four years is I can't seem to get off the bottom of their list.
I do believe the State of Ohio can get me to the top of this list in a hurry. Wink
They better come up with a great plan in a hurry.
April 22nd I file with the state....and the clock is still ticking
Make sure you tune into the April 21st Council Meeting...It's going to be a real blast!
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Truth Teller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2009 at 8:31am
TRANSFORMING MIDDLETOWN INTO THE YOUNGSTOWN OF S.W. OHIO??

Vivian and Spider John -

Watch out for the HUD-funded wrecking ball that the City "brain trust" is about to unleash in older portions our community via the so-called $2.144 million Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP).  The "government knows best elitist "planners" have no workable, market-driven plan in place regarding the proper reuse of many vacant lots that will be created in most vulnerable segments of the city.

Keep an eye out that the wrecking ball doesn't make its' way to the historic cemetery in the process!  It seems that accelerated property demolition and heavy-handed housing code enforcement is the philosophy of senior City staff to transform Middletown into the Youngstown of S.W. Ohio!  Or, should I say transform Middletown into the upper middle-class Pickerington of S.W. Ohio!

randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2009 at 8:38am
I seen in the Middletown Journal this morning  and I quote the Journal and the Mayor here

"For safety reasons, the mayor has asked Gilleland to look into the demolition or removal of the vault at the cemetery, which is on the verge of collapse. The vault is a building where unburied corpses were kept during the winter until the ground thawed."

For safety reasons huh? Is that what we call it now when  a city doesn't want to spend money to repair something "they" should have been taking care of all along?  I think if the city goes to destroy the vault we should all go down there and  surround it to stop them. You tell me what day they'll be coming Mrs. Moon and I will be there.  Angry
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Truth Teller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2009 at 9:01am
POLTERGEIST 3 - THE MAKING OF A MOVIE MIDDLETOWN STYLE

Vivian -

Maybe we should take up a collection to buy Queen Judy and her S. Main Street public relations mouthpiece DVD's of the first two Poltergeist movies?  They could watch these Hollywood flicks prior to ordering the wrecking ball into the historic cemetery!

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2009 at 10:49am

WARNING

The City will demo the vault over my dead body!

makeadifference View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makeadifference Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2009 at 10:53am

I think we should send the city a citation to fix the property they are required to take care of.  Since they want the citizens to take care of their properties - they should take care of theirs. 

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Truth Teller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2009 at 11:08am
DIRTY LITTLE SECRETS

Make A Difference -

You're absolutely correct in that the City has a growing inventory of substandard residential properties thanks to the so-called "FHA Dollar Home Program," foreclosed HUD-funded housing rehabilitation projects (past lack of proper loan servicing/collection procedures), plus ill-advised, financially irresponsible expenditures of Federal funds (Maple Pork Subdivision/Amanda School Demolition/S. Main Street Historic District over-income property restoration), etc. etc.

The now-defunct HUD Consolidated Planning Committee and the recently "resigned" CD Administrator brought these and other problems to the attention of three City Council members and the local print media.  Sad to say, the loss of hundreds of thousands of taxpayers funds has yet to see the light of day.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2009 at 12:15pm
Vivian- is there a legal firm in this area (or Ohio) that will represent folks like you that want to protect structures/locations that have been deemed as historic? If so, would they be worth contacting if this thing gets to the demo stage- that is, if your contact after April 22nd fails to help you?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2009 at 1:29pm
Vet
I have contacted my attorney
We may file a Class Action Suite against the City also.
I will know more after my meeting with the City Manager in the morning.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2009 at 6:22am
Vivian/ Mr. Rapp- Nice job on Channel 12's news at 6PM. They ran a nice segment on the Pioneer Cemetery and the issues at hand last night. Didn't see anything on 5 or 9. They also had a quote from Mr. Marconi that the city can't expect the citizens to clean up their property if the city property isn't in order too. The story mentioned that there was no comment from the mayor who wants to tear down the vault. The city leaders got a little shiner on the old eye on PR last night. Problem is- they don't care.   
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2009 at 6:44am
Correct, Vet--howevere the city "leaders" are going to have to care now.
They have been branded as hypocrites by one of their own(I guess Mr.Marconi won't get the MMF support!), and the shoe pretty much fits. They have little citizen support, especially after their nuisance campaign.

Thanx fer the nice words towards a Council run.
I would love to do it, however the local business climate seems to be turning for the worse.
I respect all who try, even those with whom I totally disagree.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2009 at 5:37pm
The City Manager did tell me during our meeting today that the City would like to buy the Sorg ...it's on the market for $650,000
Then we can add this investment property to the Lake and Air Port
Yes Sir we got a plan..
Here we go again...where's the booze...I need a drink Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic