FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Family Services Director Re-instated

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Family Services Director Re-instated
    Posted: Apr 17 2009 at 7:27am
Mr. Maxwell and his assistant, Barb Klie, were re-instated in a reversed decision yesterday. Board President Lee Davis, when asked why the board reversed the decision said " It's complicated" and "we'll just leave it at that" He probably meant to say that they were threatened with a lawsuit for wrongful termination and they knew they couldn't win in court. Lee, you and the others are so full of it. Nice job! Another saga in the book of worthless county government games.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2009 at 8:18am
I work with Mr.Maxwell and his asst., and have had a very functional relationship. They seem on top of their situation(from my limited viewpoint), and everyone there seemed to function well together.
Seems a few directly underneath the top pair became very unhappy, and in conjunction with Ms.Shearer, made a hasty and ?able meeting vote into a messy situation.

Sounds like a shake-up of that board(what board is this exactly?) is up-coming.

But I guess that, once again, the situation is "too complicated to explain" to us mere laymen in the community. I will get the dirty details on this, and will post them if allowed.
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2009 at 8:38am
My understanding is that  Family Services is a non-profit (501/3c). This is another case of "How you do it" wrong. I, also, have found Mr. Maxwell to be very thoughtful and competent.
         Paul Nagy
MadisonMom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2009 at 12:37am
Their location, is not in the best interest of the downtown or any area near, unless they make some changes.
They need more interior stocking space, parking (surprised someone has not been hit by a car), and a loading/unloading area (Central & alley). Plus a place for their "community service" volunteers to smoke, drink their coffee and a trash can for their trash. Oh wait they do! But isn't there a fine for littering?
They need to be better neighbors to their neighboring businesses.....I could go on, but I won't.
Maurice & Barb have no idea what they are doing to their neighbors. Sure they are doing a community service, but why do businesses, that have been on Central Avenue, a lot longer than they, have to suffer for their rudeness? I'm not talking about clients, I'm talking about personnel & volunteers.

I guess I'm being insensitive. Excuse me!
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2009 at 12:47am
"Hey--maybe we should all join these organizations to share our ideas and input! ...by spiderjon".......................

Maybe you should ask the downtown businesses about the neighborhood, instead of gabbing on here about what you think.
Get right down to it. The actual downtown businesses. Wow, that would be different! Ask us about each other.
I suggest spiderjon. Since he knows everything about downtown. The only place he knows of is 56 Degrees and apparently now, Family Services.
Since you posted, spiderjon, about helping out with Moving Middletown Forward/Middletown Moving Forward with City council, this would, be a great opportunity for you.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2009 at 7:20am
Not my job, mom.
Hey--I like 56 Degrees--sorry that bugs you.
I appreciate Beau Verre and the Walden studio.
Not much else to take me downtown.
I don't know your business and don't pretend to be the downtown wizard.
Like every other business location in town--solve yer own problems without whining or begging for a handout.

You make some good points about the Family Service situation.
Unloading product there is a real pain.
I don't understand their "volunteer staffing" either--lol.
Hey--I like Ms.Schearer and appreciate her local efforts.
She has worked hard for this community for a long time.
I just donate to Family Services and store product for them.
I have functioned well with whomever I have dealt with.
During the time Mr.Maxwell was gone, I was contacted by those left in charge to make arrangements for storing more product. Business as usual. Don't know where you get your info, however I respect your opinion.

I know nothing about the board that operates the whole thing, and plan to keep it that way. I THINK that I am allowed to comment on the situation though.
I did my time on the Downtown Partnership--were you around then?
I walked both sides of Central from Main up to Charles twice, interviewing every business owner. If you were there back then, you were probably interviewed, and by spider himself. We met with Judge Valen,Mr.Thatcher,Blakelys,Ewings,Isroff,Banks and other new property owners.

As an operator who had a facility downtown, and patronized downtown business, the owners and operators were very open with me about their opinions.
It would take a lot less time to canvass that same area 2day since there are fewer businesses. A few pawn shops and 2nd hand shops, so why worry about Family Service volunteers?

MMF lol
It will sort itself out eventually.
I don't see any real issue there that hasn't always existed, totally legit or not.

Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2009 at 1:29pm
ya know mad mom--you have really started me thinking about this situation.

What makes you think that the rest of the community and city admin is obligated to restore and subsidize the area formerly known as "downtown"(especially the area from Main/First north to Reinhartz and east up to Richie's)?

Many of us operate businesses in other struggling depressed shopping centers/areas, and do so without expectations of municipal development/welfare. Every area of the city is struggling from the business viewpoint and is equally deserving of any type of city support. Many went into your "downtown" area buying in cheaply or opening up with full expectations of city/grant support, hoping to be subsized for improvement and then selling out for a windfall profit mostly at taxpayers' expense. Well--it hasn't happened. Your city planners and admin have dropped the ball down there ONCE AGAIN(surprise!). The public is tired of repeatedly sinking millions of taxpayer $$ into an area that looks like it does today. This process has gone on for 30 years now. Take out Family Services and govt.offices, and the area traffic would shrink considerably. Just look as what has become to the recently improved pharmacy/lunch counter facility on the main corner.

Probably what you see now is what you will get. Private enterprise is not flocking down there, and doesn't consider the area as desirable. Enjoy what you have, and work harder yourselves to make it better. When you do so, others will return to patronize attractive businesses(like 56 Degrees!)

jmo--shoot me
wannaknow View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannaknow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2009 at 10:18pm

I read on one of these threads about the buildings downtown having broken windows and other damages on top of the beautiful (empty) storefronts. By golly it's true. There are a lot of buildings with broken windows.  It seems to me the weather and birds will do a lot of damage if those buildings are left open like they are. Who owns them and why are they allowed to let them sit like that? 

Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2009 at 11:55pm
Does anyone know if the owners of these dilapidated downtown buildings received any of the 2300 code enforcement letters sent out by the City lately?
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2009 at 5:00am
Er, uh, well, ah, gee...those downtown buildings are "different"!  They are "historic", and NOT "dilapidated"!!!  (And many are owned by fine, upstanding, good-intentioned, well-meaning friends of City Hall)  We just have to cut them some slack!!!  (Except for the ones that won't paint them in exactly the shades of color that we like.)  You "little people" just don't understand these things, so please be quiet and leave it to us.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2009 at 5:49am
Well Mike
Are those are the same buildings that over the years we have spent millions of CDBG  dollars on? Are you telling me that those boys at City Hall should have been thinking of spending a few dollars of CDBG money on the little vault at Middletown Cemetery since it was clearly in violation of Ohio State Law 4767.06?
Yep, Mike you are right..We "Little Prople" just don't understand....but I bet the State of Ohio could. Wink
Here are the CDBG historic funds that were promised to me by Mr. Kohler for the Vault in 2006:
http://www.mainstreet.org/MediaLibrary/HUD_Historic_Pres_and_CDBG_Use.pdf
eyespy007 View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eyespy007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2009 at 1:06am
Do you realize that the people that are in charge of a community support system do not live here and are not from this state? I am referring to Family Service of Middletown director and assistant.  The community needs to wake up and do a close investigation of what and how the agency truly works and that the community receives what they should be receiving.  Try talking to the staff and Job and Family Service workers that really see what happens on a daily basis.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2009 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by eyespy007 eyespy007 wrote:

Do you realize that the people that are in charge of a community support system do not live here and are not from this state? I am referring to Family Service of Middletown director and assistant.  The community needs to wake up and do a close investigation of what and how the agency truly works and that the community receives what they should be receiving.  Try talking to the staff and Job and Family Service workers that really see what happens on a daily basis.

THANK YOU!   
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2009 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by wannaknow wannaknow wrote:

I read on one of these threads about the buildings downtown having broken windows and other damages on top of the beautiful (empty) storefronts. By golly it's true. There are a lot of buildings with broken windows.  It seems to me the weather and birds will do a lot of damage if those buildings are left open like they are. Who owns them and why are they allowed to let them sit like that? 

And have you noticed those building windows getting fixed and then broken by vandals throwing bricks? Of course not. The Journal will not print that information and you guys on this forum would not notice.

There were at least 3- 20 year olds who were arrested last week for vandalism for the building across from TVM. They were actually caught by the City of Middletown Police! Go figure. These 20 year olds are from the "east side" of town.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2009 at 4:48am
What is it with you people and they were from the"east end" of town?  Who gives a $hit where they are from.  A person commits a crime, commits a crime.  I am really not getting all of this crap from people on this board and the attitude has really got me not EVER wanting to go anywhere near downtown for anything from any of you people that may own a business or put together any type of festival at all.  If the attitude is going to be that everyone owes you something because you are downtown you are sadly mistaken.  With attitudes like this I'll stay on the "EAST END" where the folks are much friendlier.  Gee I wonder when the last time any of you complainers about "East Enders" were in my business and spent some money.......damn you "West Enders".Shocked
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2009 at 5:06am
OK--paint split on the mural. That explains it.

Thanx for the effort.
Attended the festival--spent $$ on bad food--music was great.

Vandals are everywhere

Council is from another planet.

Economic Development?lol
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2009 at 6:47am
Whoa! Pacman- could it be that the Spider and Mom are just pulling your chain a little? I live on Rachel and am an "east sider" and don't take offense at all with their comments. I don't understand why that bothers you. The Spider's an east ender. Alot of posters here are. It's "the place to be" if you know anything about Middletown! The kids that were caught are being singled out as "east enders". I guess I am wondering why that makes a difference unless there is a perception that east end kids are more "elite" and come from more "influential" families. That might be true though, as I am but a mere commoner living among the high rollers. I live on the poor serf's end of Rachel while the royalty live north of the moat (Rosedale Rd.) in the big castles. Occasionally, the drawbridge is lowered and the royalty ride out and burn one of our grass huts we serfs live in when we have displeased them. Then we request HUD money from the Queen to gather the sticks to rebuild. Once, we poured oil on Rosedale and set fire to it in an attempt to storm the castles, but were repelled.Personally, I've found it very difficult getting past their archers(led by Lord Venturella) no matter the time of day. When we are good, they invite us to a small festival they call a Bash and give us a trinklet as we leave to passify us, but they answer none of our questions. We call them the Lords of Council. We are grateful for their understanding and believe all that is told to us as we go back to our wasteland to await the Word from our Council Lords. It is written that they care about us. We are looking for a few Road Warriors to bring terror on the Council Lords in November. We shall name them MAX and they shall be mad with passion for this city!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2009 at 7:17am
Believe me Vet I am by no means an elite and with the current economy scraping by like many others and I live on the East End also.  I look at labels, in the way they are being used here, as nothing more than a way to divide people, whether they be ethnicity labels or a label for where you live, etc.  Yeah Mom and Spider are pulling chains to get a rise out of me but so be it, doesn't make it right, we all still live in Middletown, except MadisonMom if i remember correctly.Big%20smile
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2009 at 8:28am
As much bashing as you guys do on here, you are pretty sensitive. Feelings hurt?
So it's alright for YOU to bash, just no one else. Yeah, I post on here to make a divide in the city.
General Patton View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Patton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2009 at 9:56am
Madison Mom -

You are welcome to challenge the accuracy of anything that I have ever shared regarding the little secrets involving the City of Middletown.  Furthermore, someone who lives and now works for your fair community also knows first-hand of much that I speak.

NRS
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2009 at 12:11pm
On the contrary Mom- please bash away! Join us and deal out your fair share of bashing. Great stress reliever by the way. The divide in the city was caused long ago by YOUR city government also know as the "bashees". We (known now as the "bashers") are merely reacting to what is pitched our way by our leaders.It is not a bad thing to have a divide in the city, especially if the one side is destroying the city. Someone had to maintain some logic here. Sensitive?- Naw- the sensitivity issues went away long ago. We are now numb to the situation. This is out and out non-feeling, insensitive warfare now.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2009 at 2:06am
Originally posted by MadisonMom MadisonMom wrote:

As much bashing as you guys do on here, you are pretty sensitive. Feelings hurt?
So it's alright for YOU to bash, just no one else. Yeah, I post on here to make a divide in the city.
Mad Mom:
Bashing???  Is it "bashing", or is it "telling it like it is"???

Here is something that needs to be said:

I understand that times are tough.  I think that we all do (except the folks at City Hall).  I understand that one can have a bad day--we all have them.

But do you remember when you first began posting here?  You politely asked a question or two...and several of us tried our best to answer those questions.  Your posts were interesting, and showed a sense of humor.  If I knew what your business was, and I had a need for it, I would have given it a try.

But suddenly one day things changed.  Perhaps you were having a bad day, or maybe you had a headache...I don't know and I don't care.  But you posted THAT day DEMANDING that some us of do something!!  Instead of your usual well-mannered, good-humored posts, you nearly BARKED ORDERS at us as if we were some servants who wwere at your beck and call.

A couple of us politely told you "Here's a thought--do it YOURSELF!" or words to that effect.  You left this venue in a huff and haven't been back until now.

I can only speak for myself, but I liked the old "MM" much better than the new "Mad mom". 

I know many of the so-called "bashers" that post here, and even though we don't always agree 100% and we may bicker, this is basically a really good group of people!!!

Most of us would give you (or any deserving person) the shirt off our backs if we thought that you needed it worse than we did ourselves.  We are good citizens who hate to see our city ( the ENTIRE city, not just "downtown") die.  We feel that much of the goings on at city hall are either illegal, immoral, unethical, or just plain STUPID, and most of us have tried in many ways to "help"in the past and have been treated much more shabbily than we are treating our alleged leaders.

If we are wrong on any point, tell us how, with facts and logic--not just smoke and mirrors--and most of us will switch to the correct side in a heartbeat.  However, we KNOW that doing the same basic thing, over and over and over while praying for a different result is a FOOL's mission. 

If you truly believe that paint and polish, in and of themselves, will save our city you are entitled to that opinion.  There are many groups to  tell you where to slap on the paint or rub the polish.  You don't need us.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being the SHINIEST, fastest dying city.  In the meantime, back the bike path while our REAL infrastructure crumbles.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2009 at 11:50pm
Mike.....I will think about your post reply. I need some time. Lots going on with my business. You will know soon enough.
I just can't believe no one can figure out who I actually am by now by my posts. I stayed away from this forum because there are so many on this site that actually hate downtown because of the City, not because of the businesses that are actually down here, and it gets tiring defending. Every downtown has their issues. My business is at the point it is, because of our hard work, the City of Middletown had nothing to do with it. I'm talking City Council stuff. Not the citizens or businesses we work with. Our largest clients are located outside
of Middletown, sorry if that offends anyone. That doesn't mean we treat one client any different than the next.
We treat them all equal and have great customer service.

I guess I tried to stay positive and got tired of defending. It's late and it's been a busy week. Said too much already. Do you actually care?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2009 at 1:56am
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2009 at 7:26am
Mad Mom:  Please allow me to intersperse my replies (in a different color and font) among your comments:

Mike.....I will think about your post reply. I need some time.

Take all the time that you’d like! You don’t owe me anything…not even a response. I am NOT a city official and my post was NOT a “Notice of Violation”.

Lots going on with my business. You will know soon enough.

That’s good, I hope.

I just can't believe no one can figure out who I actually am by now by my posts.

Excuse me??? I can only speak for myself, but what makes you think that I wanted to know who you were, Mrs. E?? (Once I decided to find out, it took me about two minutes.)

I stayed away from this forum because there are so many on this site that actually hate downtown because of the City, not because of the businesses that are actually down here, and it gets tiring defending.

First, I doubt that anyone “hates downtown” or the few businesses located there! Actually, I preferred to shop downtown for hardware (until the city ran Dohn’s off), cell phones (until the city ran New York Fashions off), and jewelry (now Roger’s is gone, too) and I did all the banking that required my physical presence at the downtown office of 5/3rd. What disturbs me is untold MILLIONS of dollars that have been pumped into downtown in the last 30 or so years, always without a clue, usually without regard to expense or good practice, and always with the same result: NOTHING. It is also insulting to hear about the “stakes holders” gathering to decide how to spend the “bag holders” (read that as “tax payers”) money. Just an educated guess here, but I’d say that, in 2009 dollars, there has been over $100,000,000 (read that as ONE HUNDRED MILLION) of taxpayers’ money pumped into that area with no results, and a group still thinks we have not done enough!!! And to boot, the few groups interested in investing their OWN MONEY have been KEPT OUT!!!

Every downtown has their issues. My business is at the point it is, because of our hard work, the City of Middletown had nothing to do with it.

Good for you!!! I mean it!! I really do!!! I hope that EVERYONE who invests ANY money or sweat in this city makes a fortune!!! I truly do!!! But Kohler and the Kouncil must STOP trying to decide WHO they, personally, want and WHERE they want them, and let the free market work its will. It is NOT the burden of the taxpayer to subsidize City Hall’s “personal choices” of businesses and business people!

I'm talking City Council stuff. Not the citizens or businesses we work with. Our largest clients are located outside of Middletown, sorry if that offends anyone.

I can’t see why it would. And if it does offend someone, so what??? That just shows their ignorance. OUTSIDE money is the best kind!! That is why it is so STUPID to FORBID any advertising that would entice a few of the hundreds of thousands of people traveling up and down I-75 to stop in Middletown and spend a few bucks!

That doesn't mean we treat one client any different than the next.
We treat them all equal and have great customer service.

They are your clients!!! Treat them any way that you want (within the law). (Good service is a key to success in business. They should teach that in our schools.)

I guess I tried to stay positive and got tired of defending. It's late and it's been a busy week. Said too much already. Do you actually care?

Believe it or not, I actually do! I grew up working in my parents’ small business, and I’ve had a couple of my own. I know both the risks and the rewards, the good and the bad. I WANT people to succeed! I WANT Middletown to prosper!!! That is why some of the boneheaded moves that City Hall has made since I’ve moved back here irritate me so. It’s as if they are TRYING to kill this city!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic