FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HEAD START PROGRAM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HEAD START PROGRAM
    Posted: Apr 18 2009 at 9:10pm
I just found this letter while seaching for another document. I had tried to post it to the Middletown Journal blog but it was not working. Pres. Obama has stated that he wants to increase spending on Early Childhood Education. I would guess that this would include more money for Head Start
MY OPINION: The Head Start Program has become a free babysitting service with little educational value given to the children, therefore they are not ready for Kindergarten.
QUESTION: What is your opinion on early Childhood Education and or Head Start Programs in the Middletown Community?

80C/dc--for you

Posted by: a teacher

Date: November 08, 2007 09:40PM
”Much more fair to the school. Many
Dayton kindergarten students, 20-30%, (personal conversation with K teacher, May 2007...APA style reference) come to school already 2 to 3 years behind in readiness indicators. (Hard to believe and sadly, true) Now, we will "only" have to show that we helped them achieve one year of academic growth in one year's time. Hopefully, of course, do much more.”

MY REPLY
Now we are getting to the real meat of the educational problem.
”Now, we will "only" have to show that we helped them achieve one year of academic growth in one year's time.” I can’t believe you wrote this statement. Well, that’s an easy out for the teachers and parents and a total waste of my tax dollar. At this rate of learning these children will never be at grade level.
If a school was judged like a factory, with the test scores they are producing, you would never invest a dollar in this business. If a school was judged like a factory, they would be out of business within a year for producing an inferior product.

We have been told over and over again that the reasons that we need so much money to teach the children of the Middletown Schools are because the majority of students are from low income homes and they have so many special needs…Hmmm. Are you telling me that these students have a low IQ? I would really like to see proof of these numbers. Are you telling me that during the critical early learning years 0-5 the parents or others didn’t teach these children any basic skills to get them ready for school?…Hmmm.
Then I have even a greater problem with the
Middletown School District. Are you now telling me that after spending millions of dollars on these children before they enter Kindergarten that they are still not ready for school? Then the schools, teacher and parents have failed these children NOT THE TAX PAYERS!

HISTORY LESSON: It’s time for us to remember 1964, Lyndon B. Johnson and the “War on Poverty”. Making poverty a national concern set in motion a series of bills and acts, creating programs such as Head Start, food stamps, work study, Medicare and Medicaid, which still exist today. In the early 1970’s “Title 1” and the “Head Start Program” ages 3-5 years were started and then later the “Pre-Head Start Program” ages 0-3 years. These federal and state funded programs were to give the children of low income families the enrichment they needed to ensure that they would be ready to start school on an equal footing with other children.
These programs were developed based on research like the Milwaukee Program listed below.

Our federal and state tax dollars are now supporting enrichment programs for these children 0-5 years here in Middletown.

QUESTION: What percentage of students, starting in our public schools, have been enrolled in these pre-school programs?
QUESTION: If we have so many students with learning disabilities in our public schools, why weren’t these problems addressed long before they started Kindergarten?
QUESTION: If these programs are working so well here in
Middletown, then why are these students not ready for Kindergarten?
QUESTION: Are the children in the programs tested in any way to ensure they are ready for Kindergarten?
QUESTION: Why do we need so many
psychologists in the school system since all these services are already available to all low income families?

The Milwaukee Project

In the late 1960s, under the supervision of Rick Heber of the University of Wisconsin, a project was begun to study the effects of intellectual stimulation on children from deprived environments. In order to find a “deprived environment” from which to draw appropriate subjects for the study, Heber and his colleagues examined the statistics of different districts within the city of Milwaukee. One district in particular stood out. The residents of this district had the lowest median income and lowest level of education to be found in the city. This district also had the highest population density and rate of unemployment of any area of Milwaukee. There was one more statistic that really attracted Heber’s attention: Although this district contained only 3 percent of the city’s population, it accounted for 33 percent of the children in Milwaukee who had been labelled “mentally retarded”! 

At the beginning of the project, Heber selected forty newborns from the depressed area of Milwaukee he had chosen. The mothers of the infants selected all had IQ’s below 80. As it turned out, all of the children in the study were black, and in many cases the fathers were absent. The forty newborns were randomly assigned, 20 to an experimental group and 20 to a control group.

Both the experimental group and the control group were tested an equal number of times throughout the project. An independent testing service was used in order to eliminate possible biases on the part of the project members. In terms of physical or medical variables, there were no observable differences between the two groups. 

The experimental group entered a special program. Mothers of the experimental group children received education, vocational rehabilitation, and training in homemaking and child care. The children themselves received personalized enrichment in their home environments for the first three months of their lives, and then their training continued at a special center, five days a week, seven hours a day, until they were ready to begin first grade. The program at the center focused upon developing the language and cognitive skills of the experimental group children. The control group did not receive special education or home-based intervention and enrichment. 

By the age of six all the children in the experimental group were dramatically superior to the children in the control group. This was true on all test measures, especially those dealing with language skills or problem solving. The experimental group had an IQ average of 120.7 as compared with the control group’s 87.2! 

At the age of six the children left the center to attend the local school. By the time both groups were ten years old and in fifth grade, the IQ scores of the children in the experimental group had decreased to an average of 105 while the control group’s average score held steady at about 85. One possible reason for the decline is that schooling was geared for the slower students. The brighter children were not given materials suitable for their abilities and they began to fall back. Also, while the experimental children were in the special project center for the first six years they ate well, receiving three hot, balanced meals a day. Once they left the center and began to attend the local school, many reported going to classes hungry, without breakfast or a hot lunch.

gemneye70 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemneye70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 1:42pm
I'm trying to figure out the point of your post.  I think the comment by the teacher was conveying her feelings that you can't put unreasonable expectations onto teachers and then blame them when they don't meet them...you can't expect to improve a child's performance level by three years in one year...that doesn't make sense.

As far as early education services, I assume you mean things like Help Me Grow, and Head Start, I understand you feel it is a waste of taxpayer's money.  My daughter was born with a complex heart defect and has severe developmental/learning disabilites...I suppose in your facist world we should lock her away somewhere...that she doesn't deserve an education.  She will be 3 this summer, and has been through more in her short time here on earth than your whole f-ing life. She starts preschool in September, her wheelchair and walker included...I suppose you feel wheelchair ramps at public buildings is a waste too...or parking spots.  There is no way she will improve more than one year of academic growth.  She probably won't achieve a full year's growth.  Does that make her, me, my wife, her teacher, and therapists failures...giving you an excuse to demand an end to this waste of tax payers' money?

Are you the same person demanding that city money be used to fix the cemetary?  I am so sick of people crying about having to pay taxes...but everyone expects their piece of the pie to remain untouched.  Have you ever received unemployment, or a small business loan, or used loans or grants to get through college.  Do you plan on collecting Social Security, even if you are wealthy enough not to need it? Of course you have or will, because you can.  Unless you are independently weathly...then I really don't care what you think. Where do you think that money comes from...my arse apparently.

Get off your high horse and worry about yourself, not what us low-life, poor, lazy, whatever other names you use to generalize people that utilize the govt services legally available to us.  If you come over and teach my daughter how to eat so she doesn't have to eat from a tube in her stomach, or to walk, or pay for her glasses, or the ramp we need to build, then come on over...otherwise keep it to yourself.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 6:34pm
Gemneye70
My heart goes out to you and your child with special needs.
That was not what this post was about.
I want Head Start to be more effective toward prepairing average children for school. That was why Head Start was established.
gemneye70 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemneye70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2009 at 8:55am
I'm glad you are not as heartless as you came off...and I apologize for overreacting.  You need to make sure you know all of the details before you condemn a programs...Head Start covers special needs too, so to suggest that tax dollars should be taken away because kids aren't progressing to a level you find acceptable has a lot of consequences besides saving you a few tax dollars.  My daughter will never progress to the level other kids her age will, so she needs all of the help she can get.

BTW, I am totally behind you on the cemetary issue...I was just using that as an example...I hope your plan to create a market for the history and geaneolgy (I can't spell) works...I always tell my wife, "...if I win the lottery, I'm going to provide this town with it's own bailout."  But, instead of letting the city council or other govt officials decide what the money should be used for, I'll let normal "common" people like us make those decisions.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2009 at 12:27pm
Gemneye
I have a special needs grandson and years ago there was no help at all so to speak.
Even on a good day it was really really difficult for my daughter. She would take the day shift and I would take the night shift...and some days we would just sit and cry.
I will keep you in my prayers.
I have created to web sites about the cemeteries of Middletown and also Middletown History.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic