FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ms. Judy's recent editorial

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 6:48am
Thanks, Viet Vet.  At times this has been a very difficult and lonely process to expose the sordid truth about waste of funds, mismanagement, conflict of interest and a first-rate cover-up of HUD funds by senior City staff.  I am hopeful that all of this mess will reach the light of day soon.  Thanks again, Viet Vet.  And, thanks for your service to our country. ClapClapClap
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 12:07pm
Perplexed- I seem to remember an agenda item for one of the many Council/City Manager meetings that mentioned that one item would be the discussion of a certain E-Mailer (or blogger). This particular E-Mailer or blogger has apparently said something or has divulged something that has attracted their attention enough for them to discuss the situation. Can't remember where I read this (Council meeting notes perhaps??) but thought it was unusual to read an agenda item like that. Just a FYI thing to mention for everyone here and those that are E-Mailing city hall. Just curious as to what this is all about. As to the HUD subject.   Is there a time and a place where one would be wise to divulge the info. on this site to the state authorities or to HUD? Could the city leaders be worried about this and this is the item of discussion?
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 12:44pm
Viet Vet -

You bet that the senior level bureaucrats and three City Council members are worried.  Too many people know about the waste of HUD funds, mismanagement and conflict of interest.  They dearly wish that the CD Administrator (RESIGNED??) would move away from here and shut his mouth.

Too bad that they didn't think of that when they assigned an unqualified hit-woman last July to sentence Mr. Self to occupational Siberia.  Any day now he expects some form of reprisal from One Donham Plaza.  After all, they now have in-house legal experts at work reviewing many issues.

The truth will set the captives free!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 2:35pm
If I were on Council, I would make it a point to learn the inner workings of this city government including all the hidden agendas that I wouldn't be privy to as a private citizen as well as all the little personalities in the city building from the city manager to each department director. I would then take this information and apply it to my goal of reaching a consensus with other council members(who would also be of the new breed) that the ones deemed as harmful to the city would be "relieved of their duties" asap. As soon as the deadwood problem children currently running this city are purged from the system, we could then start running this city with some common sense for the benefit of the people, letting the people know what we're doing and why and asking for input along the way. There would be no secrets. and oh yea------ you could actually come to a Council meeting and speak your piece and receive some feedback right on the spot. None of this secrecy crap.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 4:17pm

Pretty much right on the money, Mr.Vet.

It is long past time for Council and Admin to open the doors, lay the finances on the table and begin honest two-sided discourse with the citizens. If there has been HUD/CDBG fund mis-management,illegal usage or fraud, it needs to be brought forward. The closed door "Committee" policy has been a disaster from public relations,acoomplishment, legal and trust angles. Pretty much from every angle.

Citizen confidence and trust in our municipal government is at an all-time low, even below the televised brawling days. At least it was all put in the open back then. Of course, the Chamber, MMF,AK and the Atrium still massage Admin egos, however few of those entities carry many votes come November. At this time, I would rate citizens' approval rating towards Council and particularly Admin in the 20% positive range.

Economic Development has been a joke, especially towards existing local businesses(who have been ignored and treated in a punitive manner). Section 8 glut has destroyed our school system, while also stressing police and emergency personel, also failing to contribute to the tax base,business or employment market. I had very high hopes and expectations for our city manager, however she seems to have moved into the bunker with the others,now planning to strip our city of the health dept.(probably the most useful functional dept. down there) in lieu of the Butler County fiasco, and other mostly citizen-unfriendly service cuts. She is definitely from the Steve Husemann school of city managing.

Time to return to the "Conversations with Council" and a REAL open door policy regarding past decisions, current finances, infrastructure concerns, business concerns and a real plan towards our community future. Not ONE Council member hosts discussion forums now. Was that a group decision? If Council members don't want real discussion with the citizens they supposedly represent, they honestly don't belong in public office.

The current group of "city leaders--movers and shakers" hasn't led us anywhere but down.
They need to release their death grip on every committee and organization in our city, and realize that they REALLY weren't chosen to lead FOREVER. Their time is up.

It's time for a new dawn--a new day.
Confidence in our younger generations and minds, instead of treating them as children forever and just using them for the grunt work(until they have had enough and leave town). Honestly, it is THEIR city now. Put them in charge. Let them learn and develop a new system and communication methods to bring us back as truly one united community where young ideas and change are encouraged. I would expect the results to be extremely rewarding.

jmo
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 5:23pm
BRAVO, Spiderjohn!!!!Thumbs%20Up Thumbs%20Up
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 6:01pm
I second the Bravo from Mike. Nice overview Spider.
Impala SS View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 9:35pm
I third the Bravo from Mike. Tell it like it is Spider never give up. Give them hell.
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 9:55pm

Check out the tweets from Middletown City Hall and around town - We can only hope?

By Ed Richter | Friday, May 8, 2009, 02:42 PM WackoWacko

There is now another source of info about what’s going on in Middletown, city government and other doings at One Donham Plaza or around town and that’s at www.twitter.com/RichterAtMJ.

These short news nuggets can come at any time, so log in as a follower and keep informed there as well as here on the Middletown News and Issues blog at MiddletownJournal.com or in print in The Middletown Journal.

Permalink | Comments (0) | Post your comment | Categories: Middletown

Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2009 at 7:02am
UNOFFICIAL READER OPINION POLL:  "SINK OR SWIM - WHO IS THE NEXT CITY EMPLOYEE TO BE TOSSED UNDER THE ONE DONHAM PLAZA BUS?"

1.  Please name an existing City of Middletown mid- to senior-level staff member who will be jettisoned by our all-knowing Supreme Commander?

Note:  Only one prediction per response!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2009 at 7:14am
Kohler
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
Impala SS View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2009 at 7:38am
                             KOHLER    NOW
makeadifference View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makeadifference Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2009 at 7:48am
I think you are dreaming if you think Kohler would go. 
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2009 at 9:25am
I agree with makeadifference.
Removal of Mr.Kohler would indicate a lot of mis-management, in-effective planning and failure of the Admin closed door policy. Also would result in a total inventory/audit to see the ugly truth as to where we really stand and the $$ has gone.

Mr.Kohler needs to be given an opportunity to function with a new small business-friendly, citizen friendly direction given by Council and Admin(and in great documented detail). He is a very talented individual who simply isn't being utilized to the benefit of the entire community.

There really aren't that many significant names left to scapegoat.
My wild guess would be that the city manager would be the next to leave.
She has tremendous potential, however she has abandoned her earlier wide open listening  for change approach in favor of a closed door good old boy policy, much to the detriment of everyone. Must be lonely at the top these days.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2009 at 9:48am
Well Crap you two busted everyones Dream.Sleepy  Spider your give him another chance ain't gonna work. 

"Removal of Mr.Kohler would indicate a lot of mis-management, in-effective planning and failure of the Admin closed door policy. Also would result in a total inventory/audit to see the ugly truth as to where we really stand and the $$ has gone."

So lets just carry on as the city has for the last 20-30 years, Hey that makes a whole hell of a lot of sense in my book.Angry

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
2000+ View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2000+ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2009 at 10:02am

What is most interesting to note is that Ms. Gilleland buzzes that Mr. sl*gle is her "counselor" - this is "buzz" that I personally heard from the horses mouth (yes, the sl*gle who is near and dear to the good old boy policies).

Another interesting tidbit is that there was work behind the scenes during the city manager "hunt" to permit only those with less than exceptional resumes into the process (with exception to Gilleland) - Gilleland's "resume" was a complete color brochure with fascinating Middletown statistics that appeared to make her look like the best candidate. Everyone was impressed that a "stranger" would put together such a warm and fuzzy fact book on Middletown. She must be one of us!!

With the news that that Gilleland was groomed before even appearing before the haphazard citizens group that advocated her, it appears her knock-out resume was groomed for her as well....

True?  Middletown may never know....

Judy? Lonely at the top, SJ? I think she relishes the role and isn't lonely at all with all the back-slapping and "atta-boys...er...atta girls" from her peeps.

Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2009 at 10:30am
Interesting 2000----didn't know about the resume thing.
I thought that it must have been all Husemann, though your story makes sense and fits the local pattern.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic