FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sports Capital of the World?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sports Capital of the World?
    Posted: Apr 30 2009 at 6:55pm

I can't believe my eyes when I read this headline in this morning's paper and yes my friends this just adds to the stupidity that comes from people that are trying to convince us that they are leaders. I bet the two head coaches that were guest at this function are stilling laughing. I didn't know that they service  liquor at such gathering.

tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2009 at 6:59pm

Mispelled serve.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2009 at 8:07pm
Tomahawk- If I'm not mistaken, I believe it was Mr. Lawrence Mulligan Jr., our esteemed mayor, who made that proclamation. It was done in front of Tressel and other notable high profile sports figures. It was probably done as a feeble attempt to persuade these big name people into thinking Middletown is more important to them than they think. We all know that Lawrence is very good at embellishing any given situation. He is a good presenter of fact and fiction and is a good actor. In this case, it's fiction.
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2009 at 9:29pm
Here is the sad part of the story. We have had many successful sports figures from this town. But what have they ever done for their hometown? The Carter brothers have a charity  organization in Atlanta. They are from here! Sure Lucas came back, great night at Miller. But what has he done? The Bell's? The list goes on. Hats off to Mark Kerns for his dedication to the Pigskin Round up and the coaches that come to speak. If former sports figures came, it might have a greater meaning to the graduating students! jmo
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 12:25am
He might still be young and not as famous, but here's an alum that makes a difference in his hometown. It's worth noting that Marianne Morris, LPGA, also does charity events in town.

Former Middie standout sponsoring cancer walk, football camp and charity hoops game
By Danielle Wilson
Staff Writer
1:26 AM Thursday, April 30, 2009
MIDDLETOWN — A former Middletown athlete now playing on a much larger stage is geared up for a yearly community-gathering tradition.

Memorial Day weekend in Middletown again will mean family fun and community pride if former Middie football, track and basketball standout Darrell Hunter has anything to say about it.

The Darrell Hunter Organization hosts its annual breast cancer awareness and community pride walk, as well as a youth football camp and two basketball competitions Saturday and Sunday, May 23-24.

“Mainly, I think our goal is to have people come out in the community and support,” said Hunter, a 25-year-old Middletown High School alumnus who also played at Miami University, then for the Arizona Cardinals and the New Orleans Saints in the NFL. Hunter is in his first year with the Edmonton Eskimos of the Canadian Football League.
The third annual Darrell Hunter Community Days kick off with a walk at 10 a.m. May 23 at Douglass Park. Sign-ups are at 9:30 a.m. Any donations will benefit Susan G. Komen for the Cure, a co-sponsor of the event, Hunter said.

A free youth football camp will take place in the park after the walk. Children 4 to 16 are welcome to learn what it takes to win on and off the field.

“We’re excited and anxious for the weekend to come,” said Kelven Moss, account executive for the Darrell Hunter Organization. Moss, another former Middie athlete, said this year’s event will have some special highlights.

Some Middletown City Schools personnel will shoot hoops at 3 p.m. May 24 at Rosa Parks Elementary, 1210 S. Verity Parkway, against some familiar faces from the community. The teams are made up of folks who inspired Hunter and Moss as they grew up in Middletown.

A charity basketball game is set for 4 p.m. featuring current Middie players against former players. Canned goods will be used as admission; proceeds will benefit the Dream Center.

“We’re trying to give a positive spin to this recession and just have fun,” Hunter said.
Contact this reporter at (513) 705-2511 or dwilson@coxohio.com.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 6:23am
An excellent endeavor by Mr. Hunter and his staff. Character building, role models, sportsmanship, exercise, breast cancer awareness- not too much to find fault with here.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 1:17pm
Excellent, indeed!!!  Thumbs%20Up Thumbs%20Up
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 3:57pm
I agree Darrell is doing something good! Just forgot about him. But where are the rest?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic