FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

5-5-2009 Council Meeting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5-5-2009 Council Meeting
    Posted: May 06 2009 at 2:28am

Did Kommandant Kohler tell a fib?

I surely did think that I heard Col. Kohler tell a little fib at last night’s council meeting when he said that there was no law about driveways in our fair city. Did the Kommandant forget about Section 1225 of his “Middletown - Planning and Zoning Code” (part of the Codified Ordinances)????

§ 1225.01 SCOPE.

The following standards will apply to all single, two-, three- and four-family dwellings for which building permit applications are filed after the effective date of this chapter. No building permit shall be issued without a determination from the Architectural Review Board (ARB) of compliance with the standards set forth herein.

(Ord. 2002-91, passed 8-6-2002; Am. Ord. O2005-114, passed 11-15-2005)

§ 1225.03 ARCHITECTURAL STANDARDS.

(g) Minimum off-street parking. A minimum number of off-street parking shall be provided based on the following:

Housing and Architectural Standards

Floor Area Per Single Family         Minimum Off-street Parking

Unit (Square Feet)                            Spaces

1,200–2,000                                  3

2,001–3,000                                  4

3,001 or more                                5

(h) Garages and driveways.

(1) Garages. Street-facing garages shall not comprise more than 50% of the ground floor building frontages. Any garage with more than two car parking capacity should not directly face onto any street. It is recommended that any garage with more than two car parking capacity should have the sidewall facing onto the street. All garage doors shall be compatible with the dwelling style and colors.

(2) Driveways. Circular driveways shall be avoided as they increase the amount of paved area in the front yard. Also, consider using paving materials other than plain concrete or asphalt, as the driveway paving material has a big impact on the visual character of the property.

These requirements would apply not only to NEW construction, but also to any permits requests for additions or major remodeling projects.

Of course, the Kommandant could have been a little worried. It looks like he left just enough “wiggle room” in his wording to let any of his “good friends” off of this expensive hook!!!

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 4:40am
Maybe he's acting like a deer "spooked by the headlights of a vehicle at night" whenever Queen Judy allows him to publicly speak?  This characteristic of his is much the same as another City department head who "suddenly retired" only a few months ago.  It's very apparent that he's on a short leash these days when it comes to public presentations!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 6:45am
Whoops! There is a nice ranch home at the corner of Rosedale and Rachel Lane that has a 4 car garage that faces Rosedale. This, I Believe, is a violation under h- item #1 Garages. Whoops! There is a nice home at the corner of Briel and Rosedale that has a nice circular drive in front of it. I believe this violates h- #2 Driveways. I'm sure there are many "violations" as described under this scope. Sounds like the Kohlermeister has some "rules" that are not strictly enforced. How many building permits are issued for room additions without the "Architectural Review Board" being involved? Many I suspect. As to the use of materials. I thought they said if you have a concrete drive, they wanted you to use concrete. Same with blacktop. Can't mix 'em under penalty of death. Didn't Leslie Eugene Landon also say something about dumping a load of gravel in your yard and calling it a driveway in the last council meeting? Finally- "consider using paving material other than plain concrete or asphalt, as the driveway has a big impact on the visual "character" of the property".(I can see where a hunk of concrete would contribute to the character- Sure!)- Outside of concrete or asphalt, what choices for driveway material would one have to enhance the "character" of one's property? How about mulch or "fiesta" colored patio blocks for a driveway? Those would be crowd-pleasers!
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 6:19pm

Vet:

These ordinaces weren't modified/added until relatively recently (lastly in 2005), so any "existing" situations would be "grandfathered" in until there is a major addition or remodelling.  (And not even then if you are a friend of the Kommandant, or if you have an "IN" with the powerful "COUNCIL ON LANDMARKS AND HISTORIC DISTRICTS"!!!)
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic