FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Atrium Medical Center

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Atrium Medical Center
    Posted: May 19 2009 at 6:59am
Well, well, well- just used the new Atrium Hospital last night. The wife had some chest pains so we made a trip to the Emergency Room for the first time since the hospital opened. We arrived around 10:30PM and signed in. We told the desk person that she has had two heart attacks, four bypasses, stents in the heart and , in-general, was a candidate at any time for heart issues. We had a seat and around midnight or so, they called her in to to have her vitals taken (temp-blood pressure) and told us to take a seat again. Around 1AM, with the chest pains subsiding, we decided that life was too short (and I had to get up at 5AM to go to work) and told the desk personnel that we were leaving. The response was overwhelming!!!! She just said "ok" and off we went. She will call her doctor today for a follow-up to this event. Now- I don't know what kind of experiences you've all had at Atrium, but at this point, we're not experiencing a warm fuzzy feeling as we are not off to a good start with the new hospital. Hopefully, the next event will be more pleasant. Either they have incompetent people working in that area, the staff is overwhelmed with the patient influx or they just don't care how they do their job- don't know at this point but Douggie McNeil has a problem and may not know it.(or care)
Go Buckeyes! View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Buckeyes! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 11:17am
Thanks for sharing this disturbing experience that you encountered.  God bless your dear wife.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 11:46am
Next time I would dial 911, especially with chest pains and your wifes history and take the ambulance to the ER and avoid the ER front desk altogether.  
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 12:31pm
Our thinking exactly, Pacman. Apparently, to get prompt service from the Emergency Room folks, one must call 911 and take the ride to Atrium in the ambulance. We had never had this problem over the years at the ER at the old hospital. Wonder how her cardiologist will react to this news when she tells him what happened. It may not be a pretty site! Go Buckeyes- thank you for your concern. It is appreciated!
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 2:09pm
I would be very interested in your doctors response to this unacceptable response from the emergency room.

Please share this info here and tell your wife we are all praying for her health to improve.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 2:13pm
I have not been to the new hospital. I have to say we always had excellent doctors and service from the old Middletown Regional Hospital.

I think the doctors are excellent.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 5:21pm
Holy cow, Vet!!
Did you go to the ER or the front desk???  I've gotten blood drawn there for routine blood tests quicker than that.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 6:51pm
That experience reminds me of the big city hospitals and the way they operate. (I do hope your wife is ok) I don't understand this new hospital operating like that,makes no sense to me. I've been there twice and have really not had a problem.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 7:06pm
I want to be treated at this Nurses Hospital.  Having had a Heart Attack myself this concerns me about Atrium.  In talking with Atrium Personnel I was told that their goal is to treat Heart Attack Patients within 10 minutes of arriving at the ER, and I thought that 10 minutes was an excessive amount of wait time for someone having a Heart Attack.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 12:25:30 AM by 60Gunner

Being an ER nurse, I tend to fasten my attention onto cases such as this one.

According the the AP story, a 49-year-old woman came into the ER complaining of chest pain, nausea, and shortness of breath. (Okay, all you nurses out there: pipe down and let the laypersons catch up.) She is triaged, classified "semi-emergent," and instructed to wait for her name to be called. Two hours later, when the woman's turn to be seen had arrived and her name was called by the triage nurse, the woman did not respond, The nurse approached the woman and found her unresponsive and pulseless. (That's medical-ese for "dead.")

The ensuing coroner's inquest ruled the woman's death a homicide. No details are available at this time regarding exactly who is to be charged with this woman's death.

Here is my view of the matter.

At the emergency department in which I am employed, there is a simple standard of practice that governs the treatment of any person who complains of chest pain, shortness of breath, and nausea, whether the person is 18 or 90 years old, and it is as follows: Treat it as a heart attack. That means get them into a treatment room, Give them oxygen, stick a large-bore (20 gauge or larger) IV needle into them (two would be better), draw labs including troponin I (a marker for cardiac injury), slap cardiac monitor leads onto them and perform a 12-lead electrocardiogram. If their blood pressure is stable, we may also give a spray of sublingual nitroglycerine and four baby aspirin.

(One may say that 18 years old is a bit young to be having a heart attack, and it is. But it happens; not very often, mind you, but just often enough to cause us to keep our guard up. So we don't take any chances.)

The rationale for all of these drastic measures (all of which occur within minutes of admission) is that if we act on the assumption of the worst-case, we will already be ahead of the curve. We can always back off on treatment strategies if it turns out to be something other than cardiac-related. But if it turns out to be a heart attack, then time is of the essence. And if the ER staff was caught flatfooted, the patient can die and the staff can be in a lot of trouble, as is the case with this Illinois ER.

Now, I was obviously not there to see all that went on in this woman's case, and therefore I will not point fingers. But I suspect that the error occurred because of an inexperienced triage nurse. On the other hand, triage nurses as a rule have to be experienced nurses before given that duty, in order to avoid this kind of tragedy. I think that in such a case, the only thing that could throw off the triage nurse's assessment would be whether or not the patient drove herself (or was driven by a friend or loved one) versus calling 911 and being transported by ambulance. Even then, given the victim's symptomology and the fact that she showed up in an ER, I am having a very hard time giving this staff the benefit of the doubt.

The moral of this story for the nurses who read this is: chest pain + shortness of breath + nausea = heart attack until proven otherwise.

And the moral of the story for my non-nursing readers out there is: chest pain + shortness of breath + nausea = heart attack until proven otherwise. So if you have these symptoms, don't be stupid. Do not drive yourself to the hospital or even ask a friend or loved one to do it. Call 911 and sit tight. You will get there faster, and you'll be taken a lot more seriously than if you were to walk in under your own power like so many frequent flyers with anxiety attacks do. We are skilled and trained, but you have to help us out here.

Somebody in that Illinois ER is going to pay with his/her license and maybe even some jail time before this is over. The hospital will likely be out millions of dollars. I can't really defend that, and I won't even try. In my heart of hearts, I know that there is no excuse for allowing a patient who may be having a heart attack to sit for two hours when an EKG and labs can be done on a stretcher in the ER hallway in five minutes and the patient can at least be monitored.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic