FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Replace Barnitz Stadium

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replace Barnitz Stadium
    Posted: May 24 2009 at 11:11am
In these troubled economic times the school board is wanting to either renovate or build a new football stadium ? I guess I should re-read that article for some reason that is not soaking into my age weary brain. Does the member's of the board think the Middies are going to play the Bengals or something ? This is a highschool football team not the NFL,why does a highschool need a multi-million dollar stadium ? Someone please explain this to this old man.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2009 at 12:02pm
Because "THEY" are using this ploy to push a levy to build a new east end high school with a huge athletic complex adjacent.

Well--no levy is going to pass, and Barnitz/Wade E Miller gym are fine for now.
Fix the locker rooms at Barnitz and the visiting locker rooms at Wade E.
At this time we don't need and cannot afford a new complex.

And if the board FINALLY runs out of appeals and loses the Franklin land grab, the Miller Ridge school will be proven un-necessary after all. Is that reason the REAL basis for the never-ending litigation?
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2009 at 12:58pm
Spiderjohn
I will not give them another dime for anything until these school test score go up and Section 8 housing numbers go down.

Go Buckeyes! View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Buckeyes! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2009 at 1:19pm
Don't replace Barnitz Stadium; remove the elitists at One Donham Plaza instead. AngryAngryAngry
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2009 at 10:45am
Barnitz Stadium, is an icon in this town. Wade E. Miller Gym is an icon also. Both have character and are a refreshing change from the newer "sanitized" gyms and open bleacher football stadiums that you typically see at high school basketball/football games. Barnitz is just as nice as some small college football stadiums and holds 7000 people. Because of the capacity and because the field is well maintained, why is this stadium never marketed for playoff games??? Why isn't it offered for more usage than it is? Remember the talk years ago when they thought about dismantling it and reconstructing it in the east end? Cost prohibitive I guess. New high school football/basketball facilities- Bad idea for many reasons. CLEAN HOUSE WITH THE SCHOOL BOARD ALSO because "Stupid is as stupid does"- so says Forrest.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2009 at 12:12pm
Because a town like ours, needs more people with vision. More people to see the opportunities in Middletown. People of courage to go out on a limb, and make things happen. It takes people with staying power, to be there through thick and thin for years and years and years.

How many of those people do we have in our town?
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
General Patton View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Patton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2009 at 12:25pm
There are too few people willing to tell it like it is!  And, those with the power of the pen are too often silent!  Middletown's future hangs in the balance!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2009 at 12:44pm
Sorry guys but I have to be the lone dissenter here on this matter.  If you are going to build a New High School do it right.  People want a High School that is complete, not one with the Gym 5 miles away and the Stadium that seats 7000, bit of over kill for high school, 5 miles in the other direction.  I guess we will leave the track at the Old High School also and the baseball diamonds. Then we can shuffle students back and forth for their gym classes etc.  Oh and lets not forget the Tennis courts.

If you want the City to prosper and grow then you have to make decisions that will move it in that direction.  Atrium is/has given away Millions of dollars to other school districts and high schools, while Middletown languishes over its old stadium.

You need to make the right choices that are going to attract people with the money and desire to live here and not somewhere else.  On this board we constantly denigrate those that want to live in the past and here are many of you doing the same thing.  Makes little sense to me. Either you want the city to come into the 21st century and grow or you are happy with the status quo.

Build a First Class High all the way and while you are at it since it has been stated that a New Junior High will cost almost the same as renovating the Old High School into the New Junior High do that right also and build it new.

If you continue to do everything half way then you will not progress with the rest of the area, except for that small portion of land surrounding I-75.
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2009 at 4:55pm
Pacman- Your post makes some good points. It is hard letting go of the past, if the memories are pleasant ones. I have attended many games at Miller Gym and Barnitz Stadium and do enjoy both places. IMO, they are as good as any gym or stadium around here AND they add an experience/ambiance that is only accrued through time. I guess I would address the statement of moving forward with the building of new attractive schools with the question- what have the new mega- elementary schools done for the community to attract growth and lure new people to town? Has the new Highview Elementary (Wilson location to me), the new Wildwood Elementary, Rosa Parks or Creekview done anything performance wise to excite anyone to attend? The lie was that new schools were suppose to increase performance. You make a good point on the locations of each. The 7000 is overkill now but there was a time many years ago when there was overflow from the home side. In the 50's, when they had the 4th of July fireworks there, the stadium was packed on both sides. Your statement of "either you want the city to come into the 21st century and grow or you are happy with the status quo"- As we attempt to grow, we can't retain some past history as we do so???? Why not? "Build a first class high all the way---etc" Based on the money spent on the elementaries mentioned above, and seeing the results from that money spent, I wouldn't vote for another dime to support this school system until they start producing results that matter. It would be giving good money after bad.I fail to see how the old schools that we are tearing down lasted for 50/60 years and we want to build a new high school after only 39 years. This may tell us something about the quality of the construction of the current high school. Talking about all of this may be a mute point with the current state of affairs with the economy and this town. I would think that no one is going to support spending money on big ticket items like this proposal. Why do any of this at all?- we have a declining enrollment. Why is Price and company always looking for more room when there is less kids? Leave the logistics alone for now and concentrate on the final product. JMO
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2009 at 5:47pm
Apparently at least one of our leading citizens feels that even the NEW elementary schools are not good enough (no INDOOR playground?)!  The following is from the online version of The Middletown Journal:

==================================================

Still optimistic

By Ed Richter | Sunday, May 24, 2009, 12:38 PM

Last week’s report from the Wall Street Journal’s WSJ.com that published a report that a real estate consulting firm has listed the Towne Mall as a dead mall apparently didn’t phase Ann Mort, a co-organizer of the Middletown Pride in Action effort.

Mort, who mall walks there regularly, said despite the continuing issues at Towne Mall, the city is in a period of reinventing itself and that has been something Middletown has gone through a few times in its 200-plus year history.

While she believes the city will survive in the long run, Mort did have a couple of ideas of her own for future use of the mall.

She suggested using it as a school and using the center mall area where the concourses connect as a giant, indoor playground. Another use would be turn it into a medical complex and turn the former retail stores into offices for various health care providers.

Some in town still think the city can return to its heyday of being an All American City as it was decades ago. Hopefully, the sparse crowd that attended Middletown Pride in Action’s periodic public update at Miami University Middletown is not an indication that interest is waning.

What do you think?

Can Middletown overcome the bad rap from Forbes.com when it was named among America’s fasted dying cities or not.

We’re looking forward to hearing back from you.

Permalink | Comments (2) | Post your comment | Categories: Middletown

Comments

By Mike_Presta

May 24, 2009 7:31 PM | Link to this

Hmm…a school with an indoor playground? An interesting idea, but what did Ms. Mort suggest we do with all of the brand new, multi-million dollar school buildings that we just finished building? And how would we pay for the acquisition and conversion of the mall? That is a job which would take much more than just paint and polish.

By Mike_Presta

May 24, 2009 7:44 PM | Link to this

While I applaud Ms. Mort’s group and their efforts, improving the “APPEARANCE” of our fair city is hardly the equivalent of “reinventing” it. The Forbes rating was based on substance, not appearance. It was not a beauty contest. The “reinventing” required must start with new leadership on City Council and the Board of Education, and changes in upper management at City Hall and the MCSD.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
AKBobby View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKBobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2009 at 4:09pm
Excellent Post Pacman!
AK - What is going on with that?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic