FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

City Manager on Vault Renno or Destruction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: City Manager on Vault Renno or Destruction
    Posted: May 27 2009 at 11:05am
Taken from the City Managers Report

From our research, it appears that the renovation of the vault is still going to be in the neighborhood of $60- 80,000; well above the $22,000 budget.  I’m awaiting final word from another contractor, but it appears that we will be demolishing the structure.  We will store the stone on site and use it for decorative purposes.  Demolition is not our preference, but there are greater priorities in the community for $60-80,000

View The Full May 24, 2009 Middletown City Mangers Report
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2009 at 11:34am
Did Gilleland ask for donations from the citizens or companies in town? Did she really make an effort at all or was all of this just city lip service to appease the folks that wanted the vault restored? They had it predetermined to demolish the vault from the outset. Greater priorities in the community? How would the people in city hall possibly know that? They haven't demonstrated proper prioritizing in years. This is a "let's shelve this whole bothersome pest of a problem " statement made here. "We will store the stone on site and use it for decorative purposes"- (around all the HUD houses). Getting pretty tired of these people. LET"S CLEAN COUNCIL/SCHOOL BOARD OUT IN NOVEMBER! THEN, CLEAN THE CITY BUILDING OUT IN DECEMBER.   
here&now View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote here&now Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2009 at 11:43am
"there are greater priorities in the community for $60-80,000"  I would love to know where that money will be spent?  Of course  "she " didn't ask for donations from companies in town.  I am sure the could use some of that money they will be spending for all those new police cars to repair the vault. They could at least begin the project.  That vault is a part of the history in this town and the City is just willing to demolish it with out a second thought.   God I love this town    Thumbs%20Down
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2009 at 1:34pm
Gilleland also mentions the meeting in Las Vegas for the Council of Shopping Centers. Mayor Mallory of Cincy is going this year. Gilleland says that we "didn't see an immediate return on our investment in attending the convention, we made a great number of contacts that continue to surface"---- That's great - Now, we would like to request an update on progress and the list of those contacts and their subject matter as it relates to Middletown, Ms. Gilleland. OR- are you just blowing smoke for appeasement? Let's see some proof of your newfound outside interest in our town. We do have a right to know as it is our business that you are conducting.
da120757 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da120757 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2009 at 7:38pm

I do not see how the City can demolish this cemetery Vault after it was declared Historic??  This is Crazy, and in my opinion, and I am entitled to my opinion, Judy is doing this only because Vivian has raised such a fuss about restoring this Vault and she wants her to go away.  She has been working on this cemetery for the last five years and it looks better now than it has in all the years that the City has owned it and she did all of it without being on the Middletown City Employees payroll.  I am biting my tongue about how the City Officials are taking care of their Structures in Middletown because they find if they cannot take care of them just demolish it.  There has to be something that can be done to SAVE THIS VAULT.  I think a court injunction keeping them from demolishing it is in order.  What do you think.

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2009 at 8:04pm
Mr. Ashworth, Mrs. Lawrence P. Mulligan, Jr., the Middletown Historical Society, and The

COUNCIL ON LANDMARKS AND HISTORIC DISTRICTS

are conspicuous by their absence on this issue!

Hint: The obligations of the City and the Council on Landmarks and Historic Districts here are clear! Begin by reading Codified Ordinance starting at:

§ 1210.14 MINIMUM MAINTENANCE STANDARDS.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
General Patton View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Patton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2009 at 8:34pm

GOD BLESS YOU MISS VIVIAN FOR YOUR DEDICATION !!

It's well known that if you don't play ball the way the Queen of Middletown dictates, you are sent to the hinterlands by her!

Others of us know that it's always her way or the highway!  I would have said Middletown streets instead of highway but the condition of our town's thoroughfares are questionable at best.

If you start preaching 2nd Ward residential demolition and heavy-handed housing code enforcement the Queen might pardon you for being too rambunctious in the cause of restoring the Pioneer Cemetery.

Lastly, the Queen has ample HUD funds in her kitty now to take care of the costs but will never admit it !!
wannaknow View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannaknow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2009 at 4:37am
What can I do to help save the vault? We can't let it be demolished.
riverwind View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riverwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2009 at 6:27am
Perhaps if Ms. Moon had "played well with others," she would have been able to raise funds to help save the vault or garnered help to write grants. 
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2009 at 6:46am

Middletown Community News

Middletown City Managers Weekly Update to Council May 24, 2009

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:45:51 AM - Middletown Ohio

Cemetery Vault demolition
From our research, it appears that the renovation of the vault is still going to be in the neighborhood of $60- 80,000; well above the $22,000 budget.  I’m awaiting final word from another contractor, but it appears that we will be demolishing the structure.  We will store the stone on site and use it for decorative purposes.  Demolition is not our preference, but there are greater priorities in the community for $60-80,000.  We will be meeting again with Fred Wehr of Woodside Cemetery and Arboretum to discuss cemetery maintenance. 
I have asked the Community Foundation to consider using their $11,000 funding to place the historic grave markers horizontally. This will provide a long term solution to the vandals knocking over the tombstones.  Fred Wehr suggested this as a solution. 

Middletown Community Foundation

Mr. Duane Gordon
I would strongly suggest that the Middletown Community Foundation not fund the placing of historic grave markers horizontally at the
Middletown Cemetery
. Mr. Wehr is not an expert on the restoration and repair of historic tombstones and this method is NOT recommended by the Ohio Historic Preservation Society. If you need further information on this subject I would advise you contact Mrs Mary Ann Olding at 513 673-4087.
If the City of
Middletown is really concerned about the vandalizing of the Middletown Cemetery
I would first suggest that they fix the fences and lock the gates.

Vivian Combs Moon

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2009 at 7:03am
riverwind- I believe Ms. Moon did start out "playing well with others". She went through the system with her requests. She met with Gilleland and company and was promised some help. She never received that help promised. She became frustrated with the lip service that the city is apparently very good at giving and she let her feelings be known on this forum. You stated that SHE would have been able to raise funds or garner help to write grants. Was that grant writing help offered during the meetings by the city officials? Doubtful. Did the city help her in setting up some fund raising? Doesn't look like it. Realize that she shouldn't have had to have done any of this as it is written in the city laws that it is the city who has this responsibility,. ( See Mike Presta's info above) She is doing the right thing because the city refuses to. The city should be praising her for covering for them. Instead, she is placed in a situation where she is fighting with a group of ungrateful, inept morons who are ALWAYS the problem- never the solution. You can't "play well" with this group. They are hard-line, stubborn and obnoxious. Getting in their face, challenging them and taking no prisoners is the only way to approach them. THEY have caused this reaction by their attitude toward the people. It's your choice- you can join the realists here or you can keep blindly defending their positions.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2009 at 7:21am

Riverwind
I played the game with the City of
Middletown
and the Middletown Historical Society for six very long years and received the same treatment from both. Where were you?
If you were really so concerned about the
Middletown Cemetery
why didn’t you give me a call and offer your help?…Or better yet give me a call today and we can have a long meaningful conversation on any of the above subject matters.  

riverwind View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riverwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2009 at 7:21am
I am not speaking of people at City Hall, Vet. I am speaking of just plain people in the community, way before the situation at the cemetery got to this point.

Ms. Moon has done a great job with the cemetery, but the only way you develop a volunteer and donor base to aid your cause is to cultivate people.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2009 at 9:13am

Mike Presta
”Mr. Ashworth, Mrs. Lawrence P. Mulligan, Jr., the Middletown Historical Society, and The
Hint: The obligations of the City and the Council on Landmarks and Historic Districts here are clear! Begin by reading Codified Ordinance starting at:
§ 1210.14 MINIMUM MAINTENANCE STANDARDS.”

Mr. Presta
I guess it is time that I addressed this issue also. Everywhere I go and everyone that I speak to they all keep asking this same question “Where is the Middletown Historical Society and why aren’t they speaking out on this issue? But because of the legal issues that I am currently involved in with the City I still can’t discuss my problems with the Middletown Historical Society.
However I will tell you that George Crout left the Middletown Historical Society with over a million dollars when he stepped down as director. It was Mr. Crout’s wish that Mr. Roger Miller be made director…however the board voted and Mr. Sam Ashworth was made director and Mr. Larry Mulligan was treasurer. In the last months of his life Mr. Crout requested numerous times a copy of the financial records of Middletown Historical Society. I was told that none of these records where provided to him. That in fact he went to his death concerned about the wastful spending of these funds by Mr. Ashworth and the board of MHS.
If you want more information I would suggest you contact MHS and request a full copy of their financial records.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2009 at 9:39am
Mr. Ashworth, Mrs. Lawrence P. Mulligan, Jr., the Middletown Historical Society, and The COUNCIL ON LANDMARKS AND HISTORIC DISTRICTS are conspicuous by their absence on this issue!
§ 1210.14 MINIMUM MAINTENANCE STANDARDS.

If anyone would like a copy of of the above City Ordinances - Chapter 1210 - Historic Preservation please email me direct at vivianmoon@juno.com and I will email you a copy
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2009 at 9:39am
riverwind- who would be more likely to help Ms. Moon with fund raisers and to get the grant work started, regular citizens or the grant writers at city hall? Who has a better network to get these things done-the average public citizen or the city building? The system is already in place at city hall to accomplish this. Why not use it?
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Patton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2009 at 10:04am

MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY ??

The basis for so many ill-conceived "PROGRAMS AND SOLUTIONS??"  is solely based upon the tempermental and dominating (behind closed doors) personality of our Queen.

I know first-hand how a prominent and respected local real estate professional publicly questioned her.  He took issue with the wisdom of making residential property demolition and heavy-handed code enforcement priorities of our city.  She became noticeably red-faced and acted like a scorned child.

Her way of retaliating was to send a very derogatory e-mail to the boss of this realtor's wife.  It placed her job in jeopardy and he resigned from two important committees of the City that he then served on.

The message is simple...............don't cross the Queen!! 
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2009 at 1:37am
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

Mike Presta
”Mr. Ashworth, Mrs. Lawrence P. Mulligan, Jr., the Middletown Historical Society, and The
§ 1210.14 MINIMUM MAINTENANCE STANDARDS.”

Mr. Presta
I guess it is time that I addressed this issue also. Everywhere I go and everyone that I speak to they all keep asking this same question “Where is the Middletown Historical Society and why aren’t they speaking out on this issue...

Ms. Moon,

I apologize if my post was not clear. I was NOT asking you a question. I was making a statement to any and all readers of this Forum!

Mrs. Lawrence P. Mulligan, Jr., of the Middletown Historical Society, and especially Mr. Ashworth, as the High Wizard of the all-powerful COUNCIL ON LANDMARKS AND HISTORIC DISTRICTS (an appointed position with real power and responsibilities in this city) ARE conspicuous by their silence on this issue!!!

In fact, Mr. Ashworth has a STATUTORY FIDUCIARY DUTY, by virtue of his appointed position, as follows:

§ 1210.15 INSPECTION OF AND NOTICE TO REPAIR SUBSTANDARD BUILDINGS.

The Council on Landmarks and Historic Districts shall direct the Historic Preservation Administrator, in conjunction with the Chief Building Official, to investigate and inspect, within 30 days after initial notification, any building which in its opinion may be a substandard historic building, and after inspection the Administrator shall relay his or her findings to the Council…yada, yada, yada...

And if Ms. Gilleland does not comply???

§ 1210.99 PENALTY; EQUITABLE REMEDIES.

(a) Whoever violates or fails to comply with any of the provisions of this chapter is guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree and shall be fined not more than seven hundred fifty dollars ($750.00) or imprisoned not more than 90 days, or both. A separate offense shall be deemed committed each day during or on which a violation or noncompliance occurs or continues.

§ 1210.14 lists and describes all items required as standard maintenance REQUIRED for sites designated as Historic!

So you see, Ms. Vivian, this was NOT a question directed to you, but a criticism of two high profile people who claim to be all about “history” as long as it keeps power and money flowing in the directions that they desire. But they are completely SILENT when it looks like a few bucks might be spent on a legitimate historic project that is NOT one of their babies.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2009 at 5:40am

Mike
My records show that I submitted my 3 year Plan for the Restoration of the
Middletown Cemetery to the City of Middletown and Mr. Sam Ashworth, director of the Middletown Historical Society, in March 2005. During the summer of 2005 Mr. Kohler came to the cemetery and looked at the vault and said I needed to declare it historic to get CDBG Funds. The Vault was declared historic by City Council in January 2006. Numerous City officials came to the cemetery and looked at the Vault....and this is where my little problem begins....For all of the above people to now say that they were not aware of the condition of the cemetery and the vault and what that "out of control Cemetery Lady" has been doing at the cemetery for the past 6 years is a joke....For them to state that CDBG funds were not promised is also a joke....Mr Kohler dropped the ball...Every City Official that ever walked into the cemetery and looked at the vault is now involved in this little mess up to their eye balls...and it's a very long list Wink...and after all we all must remember that this is the cemetery where a lot of poor people are buried and it's in the wrong part of town...Did you know that the first mayor of Middletown is buried at the Middletown Cemetery just inside the main gates on the left? Big%20smile

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2009 at 6:34am
But Vivian, legally most of that is besides the point.  The point is that the powerful COUNCIL ON LANDMARKS AND HISTORIC DISTRICTS has a statutory duty to act, and they have not acted!!!  They should all be summarily booted out off this board, and replaced with people who will act and not just pretend to be interested in history! 
Let's see--$750 plus 90 days per offense with EACH DAY considered a separate offense???  I'd wager that someone will find a wad of dough "tucked away in one of our other accounts" pretty darn quickly.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2009 at 7:38am

Mike
Are you telling me that our trusted City Officials have not been doing their duty? I’m SHOCKED to hear this news!
Hmmmm…$750 plus 90 days per offense with EACH DAY considered a separate offense x 5 years equals…BINGO!!...We have found the money to restore the Vault.

Impala SS View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2009 at 11:27am
Boy you should see all the people from Cohen Bros cleaning up the old Middletown cemetery.   BUT NOT ONE DAMN PERSON from the city, that shows how much they think of the people buried there. It is time to vote them all out and clean out CITY HALL.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Patton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2009 at 11:33am
You always speak the truth Impala SS.  Keep on giving those City Hall bureaucrats hell.  Your efforts are greatly appreciated.  May God bless and keep you during this difficult time in your life.

General Patton
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Patton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2009 at 5:21pm
Thank You Cohen Brothers Employee Volunteers!!

The citizens of Middletown should thank 15 or more Cohen Brothers employees who devoted their time today in working with Miss Vivian Moon to spruce up the Historic Pioneer Cemetery.  As for City of Middletown representatives and the historic preservation gurus, they were AWOL AGAIN.

General Patton
Impala SS View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2009 at 8:23pm
Yes thank you Cohen Bros Employee Volunteers. Thank you ever so much for the work you did today out of love for fellow man and woman. You just proved you are better people than the ones on council and city hall. I just wish some of you would run for council, I would vote for you . It is time to clean out city hall this year, right now. They are as useless as Breasts on a bore hog. Its time they go>now >now >now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic