Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Friday, April 19, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6 out of 30 State School Indicators Met!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6 out of 30 State School Indicators Met!
    Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 10:00am
 FAILING REPORT CARD

Only 6 out of 30 state indicators were met. And the AYP - Adequate Yearly Progress is NOT MET.

John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 10:38am

The schools rating of continuous improvement is a polite way to say, you are failing, but we acknowledge you are trying.

John Beagle

Middletown USA

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2008 at 9:49am
What happen to the Report card for 2007-2008?  There must be a problem with them as the results are not out yet and school starts in 3 weeks or so......hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2008 at 10:20am
So John and others- I was reading some of your past posts on supporting the levies and you seem to be a positive advocate for the Middletown schools( comments like voting no only hurts the kids, etc.),and an advocate for Price and the manner in which the schools are being run. Have you changed your mind with scores like this and are you, at this time, willing to admit that the schools are not what Price would have you believe that they are? OR, do you choose to wear the rose-colored glasses like so many supporters do in this town and continue to be in denial of the facts as reported by the state? As long as the supporters accept the standard line and blindly follow Price's bunch, no improvement will occur in this school system. The very person that you believe will lead this system out of the doldrums is the very same person who has been responsible for driving it into the ground. Time for the supporters to face reality and admit that there is a problem with the administration of this system.
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2008 at 11:08am
VietVet:

I always want what is best for the community. These scores are very disappointing. That still does not sway my opinion that a strong community begins with educating our youth.

Sure I am disappointed, but not totally surprised. With the loss of some of the district's best students what do you expect? Middletown schools need new families to locate here. One way is to publicly say things that are enticing to others. If I rip apart the schools, and others join in. What do we gain? This is a public forum. Some posts show up in search results in Google.

Let's look at the bad with an eye on the future. What can we do as grand parents, parents and local businessmen? How have we helped the schools?
John Beagle

Middletown USA

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2008 at 11:44am
John: Thank you for the reply. You mention that "a strong community begins with educating our youth" True. AND, the education of our youth begins when we change the manner and method of educating them that has NOT WORKED IN THE PAST.We MUST CHANGE KNOWN FAILURE in order to give ourselves a chance to succeed. To continue to support the same people that have placed us in the failed situation makes no logical sense. I have been proposing the changing of the guard for years, both on the various blogs and in the Journal. You also state that you are disappointed but not surprised, implying that the expectation of failure has occurred before. The district started it's decline long before we started losing our best students. The CAUSE of the loss of the best students and the voter support for the levies was the no-confidence reaction by the parents/voters related to the performance of the schools. "If I rip apart the schools"- in some instances, one must do a complete teardown in order to fully purge the problem. This decline has been occuring since the 80's. The problem is deeply inbeded. What do we gain with a complete teardown? A review of the causes of the current situation from ground zero, perhaps? A new agenda/ group of thinkers to man the system perhaps? A new chance to re-invent the success of the old Middletown schools as we once knew them to be, perhaps? A new, successful image that would replace the damaged one we now have, perhaps? How have we helped the schools?- We have NOT helped the schools by giving them more money over the years. That has only continued to subsidize the misery and lack of achievement. That leaves us with two other choices to affect change- Change the curriculum/agenda/programs/game plan and/or, change the personnel that run the show including the school board/superintendent/administration, etc. I also want what is best for the community. We just want to get there in different ways.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2008 at 2:08pm
John lets be realistic, you state "One way is to publicly say things that are enticing to others. If I rip apart the schools, and others join in."  Now I moved here about 4-5 years ago and the first thing I did was look at the school report cards.  I found Rosedale as the bright spot in Middletown and moved into that schools district figuring that in 3-4 years there would be some progress in improving the school scores.  I was wrong my son is now in Middle School and there has been no progress, there has been regression.  My son now goes to a private school as I can not trust or believe that he will get an adequate education in the MSD.

I am sure that other upper middle income people and middle income people can also figure this out whether they read any public comments or not.

Can anyone say with a straight fact that the MSD is a wonderful and doing an above average job educating the children of Middletown, I don't think so.
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2008 at 4:01pm
VietVet and Pacman:
You again raise good points. I share your disapointment. If change is needed, we need a change agent. Sometimes change isn't all that good.

Middletown Schools are in a tough place and in the short term, even medium term, things are not going to get better. So even if we "change the curriculum/agenda/programs/game plan and/or, change the personnel that run the show including the school board/superintendent/administration", I'm not sure we could get much better.

Dr. Price is in a tough spot. I wouldn't want his job for anything. That doen't mean I agree with him always, it just means that anyone in that job is in a tough spot.

We need the community to come together. Rather than get angry and quit or say things that are hurtful.

Lets look to the heros of the community to solve our problems and be the next change agents. Lets push and prod those in our community to step up and do something positive.

And best of all, lets make sure we get out and vote with our educated minds. Let the people ultimately decide. There's something good around the bend. Just how quick can we get there.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2008 at 7:15am
John: We already know, and have known for quite some time, what we are getting performance wise from the current (school and city) system here in Middletown. To maintain the status quo and to keep the same method of operation and the same mindset doesn't make any sense. If you are trying to accomplish something and you have tried methods that don't work,or produce bad results in this case, do you continually keep trying those same methods over and over again? No logical person would, right? Venturella and crew gave Price an extension on his contract until 2011 I believe. Was that the correct thing to do, given the results of his performance in the years that he has been here? Hasn't he been given enough time to improve the schools and to bring them from the bottom rankings? I think so. Why not make a change here? You already know what you've got and it isn't that great, but yet, we extend his time???? You mentioned that the community has to come together, not get angry and quit- OK, then for that to happen, the school board, admin. and teachers and city council members must start working toward producing a quality product that we, the people, can measure as success. That will require a change in the manner of operation/personnel because what we are currently doing, ain't working.Heroes in the community?- Can't think of any off hand. No one in city government/schools that is that dynamic that they alone have made a positive dramatic impact on Middletown. Hasn't been that type of person for years around here.Get out to vote- yes we do. The problem here is that the voter selection amounts to " do I vote for this "club" member or that one.It appears that, for the most part, we voters don't have alot of choice if we're looking for someone who will really be different.Therefore, we will not be able to completely turn over the complexion of the school board or city council to enable the total change that is needed to turn this town around for many years and we need to make the dramatic change now or risk the town dying on the vine. JMO
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2008 at 3:47pm
2 weeks ago I emailed the Ohio Dept. of Education as to the status of the 2007-2008 School and District report cards.  As of today they have not responded back. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic