FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Charter Changes What's Your Opinion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Charter Changes What's Your Opinion
    Posted: Jun 16 2009 at 5:58am
It would be nice if Mr. Nagy would give us a little heads up on the reasoning behind some of these requested changes.  The comments in Red are just my own opinion and nothing more.  What say you Middletown residents?

1)  Reducing the size of City Council from 7 to 5 members.

To me this just lends itself to making it easier to manipulate council, by the City's Movers and Shakers.  Remember the "Moving Middletown Forward" group, and their agenda, which was control of council.

2)  Eliminating the ward system all council member and mayor elected at large.

Once again allows the Movers and Shakers to get elected whomever they want to throw there money behind and could result in sections of the the City being unrepresented on Council, again Council Manipulation.

3)  Establishing term limits for council and the mayor, of not more than 2 Four year Terms for each.

Good Change.

4)  Recommended repealing residency rules for the city manager. This item was modified as a result of last week’s Ohio Supreme Court ruling that repealed residency requirements for municipal employees. However, the council could include a residency requirement as part of a contract with a future city manager, according to Landen.

I would make it a contractual requirement that the City Manager must live in the City.

5)  Permitting the city’s police and fire chiefs to be selected from outside the divisions of police and fire.

Good Change.  This would probably stop the promote to Chief and retire we have seen in the Police Dept.  3 Chiefs in the last 5 years is to many.  Of course Becker took the City Managers job, but still. 

6)  Reducing the number of council meetings from two to one per month.

This would most likely result in more out of Public communication and meetings between Council members and limit Citizens access to Council Members.  We need more openness in government not less.

7)  Removing the advice and consent of council when city employees are appointed or removed.

Non issue from my standpoint.

8)  Repealing sections of the charter that address the Park, Health, Library Trustees boards and the Civil Service Commission and authorizing council to create boards and commissions as needed, as well as set the size, term of office and method of appointment for those boards.

Not sure I understand the thinking behind this one.  Does this eliminate these Boards?  Is this a way of having less Citizen input if it does?

9)  Eliminating the requirement of having the title of proposed legislation published as a legal notice in a newspaper of general circulation in the city.

Don't understand the reasoning for this one.

10)  Increasing the length of a rebuttal statement of a city officer being recalled as well as making it available to voters.

Non issue.

11)   Making the charter language gender neutral.

Non Issue.  He, She, It, nothing but PC move.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2009 at 6:54am
Pac- you requested feedback- here goes--
1. Agree
2 Agree
3. What happens when we finally get someone on Council that thinks correctly and is producing positive results and they must leave after 8 years? Even with the best candidates and to the degree this town is screwed up, it will take more than 8 years to fix this mess.
4. Is there any proof that living in the city makes for a better city manager? Don't know. Does it really matter whether Gilleland lives here or not considering her job performance? Is a city manager more effective living in the town they manage?
5. The way I read this is that the police or fire chief can be selected from non police or fire personnel. They don't have to come from a police/fire background to run these two departments. Is that correct? If so, should we select a person who has no idea/background on how a police/fire department runs?- One who is purely administrative? Just asking.
6. NO-NO and NO- need to know what these clowns are doing. Once a month would only encourage their secrecy. If anything, we need more frequent info on these untrustworthy people.
7. Internal city matter although wouldn't hurt for Council to know. Just FYI- Although- how do we control and police the internal hiring practices of city management as to the nepotism/good old boy club hiring?
8. Council creating boards and commissions as needed? Don't we have this now? Method of appointment is too controlling. They will appoint their buddies only and leave the common folk off.
9. Eliminate placing a title on proposed legislation in the paper? OK- Sure- whatever. Still doesn't change the content of the information about the legislation.
10. The public has a right to know about city worker(officer) recalls and the rebuttal of the worker(officer) being recalled. Public needs to hear both sides of recall story.
11. Who cares?

Is this the best they could come up with? With all the time, discussions, "friendly" disagreements between Nenni, Slagle and others, THIS is all there is? Where's the serious stuff? This is surface fluff.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2009 at 7:51am

3)  There is always a way around things Vet.  If you get a Super Star, snicker, snicker, you elect him to (2) 4 year terms as Council and then (2) 4 year terms as Mayor or Vice Versa.  If you can get it done.  But I guarantee you if the average citizens loves a candidate, the movers and shakers won't.

4)  Vet I personally want a City Manager that has some skin in the Game.  Not one that looks at the Camera and says, "Middletown has a Bright Future" then goes home to West Chester or Monroe.

5)  The way I read this is that you can hire someone from any Police or Fire Dept. anywhere.  Hopefully you would get a 45-50 year old that was going to hang around and make a difference for at least 10 years, instead of heading for the Rocking chair in 2-3 years.

8)  You need a certain number of Boards, what I don't care for is the sudden creation of umpteen committees to do redundant work.  Like the Housing Committee who reports to the Housing Board, who reports to Council and the Council and Housing Board are one in the same.  Or the Road Committee, the Finance Committee, this committee, etc., etc.
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2009 at 9:30am
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

I

5)  Permitting the city’s police and fire chiefs to be selected from outside the divisions of police and fire.

Good Change.  This would probably stop the promote to Chief and retire we have seen in the Police Dept.  3 Chiefs in the last 5 years is to many.  Of course Becker took the City Managers job, but still. 

How?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2009 at 10:03am
Let me rephrase if the City puts the Job out to the Public as it should to hire the best candidate we should be able to attract candidates that will be of a high caliber and also hopefully not looking to just retire in a year ir 2.  If the City continues on as it has for the last 5 years their are about 3-4 current employees that will be promoted for a 2-3 year stint and then retire.
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2009 at 10:21am

Let me rephrase if the City puts the Job out to the Public as it should to hire the best candidate we should be able to attract candidates that will be of a high caliber and also hopefully not looking to just retire in a year ir 2.  If the City continues on as it has for the last 5 years their are about 3-4 current employees that will be promoted for a 2-3 year stint and then retire.

Puts the job out to the public?  So, I could apply to be police chief or fire chief?  Cool! 

In all seriousness, I do wonder if the charter review committee's "recommendations" mean that - as VietVet suggests - someone outside law enforcement or fire safety could apply for the position. 

To respond to your post, Pacman, I don't see how hiring outside of the fire or police departments in Middletown eliminates a chief retiring after 2-3 years.  Also, I don't know that a police or fire chief retiring after 2-3 years is necessarily a bad thing just as I don't know that a police or fire chief being around for 10 yeras is necessarily a good thing. 
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2009 at 10:24am
If we, the commoners, ever get a candidate that the "movers and shakers" don't like, we need to make a special effort to see that they are retained in the seat. If the movers are upset, you know we have made the right choice. We're seeing a small indication of that with the school board and Sauter's E-mail right now. Brings a to my face when their little power world starts to crumble. (That's right, Spider, right or wrong, it will always be them against us to me.) I see no redeeming qualities in these people as it relates to the health of Middletown.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2009 at 10:31am
OK Marianne let me rephrase for you once again the LAW ENFORCEMENT COMMUNITY OUTSIDE OF MIDDLETOWNS OWN LITTLE WORLD.Wacko
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2009 at 10:32am

Marianne you must be a Public/State/Government/Union Employee?LOL

Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2009 at 12:41pm

OK Marianne let me rephrase for you once again the LAW ENFORCEMENT COMMUNITY OUTSIDE OF MIDDLETOWNS OWN LITTLE WORLD.Wacko

Pacman, you still haven't answered my question, but that's ok; there's no requirement on this board to support claims made, so forgive me for being interested in your rationale for how opening up the search for fire and police chiefs would eliminate a chief coming in from the outside and staying for 2-3 years.  As I said before, I'm not sure it's a bad thing for a police or fire chief to serve for only 2-3 years just as I'm not sure it's a good thing for a police or fire chief to serve for 10.
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2009 at 12:45pm

Marianne you must be a Public/State/Government/Union Employee?LOL

Gosh, you guys are good here.  Can't get anything past you.

But I don't know how/why you'd venture a guess regarding my employer because I asked you to explain your rationale for a statement you made.   Can only people who are Public/State/Government/Union employees ask for reasoned arguments?  If so, then I suppose I must be.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2009 at 1:21pm
OK--we have a pattern of municipal employees being promoted just before their retirement.
If has always gone on, though it seems to be an approved popular procedure in the city building over the last few years. Since retirement income is based on going-out highest wage, this activity costs the city(the taxpayer) dearly, and these employees' retirement income level can be based on a salary/position that they only held very briefly(qualified or not). Too expensive in this day and time.

Mr.Becker moved from police chief to city manager(though un-qualified) and "retired" shortly after. When he left his police chief position, he was replaced by Major Bruck, who only held the position for a year before retiring. Now Major Schwarber has been promoted, and openly plans to retire within the next two or three years.

We DON'T have to continue this process bleeding the municipal coffures for the next 30-40 years. Whether we hire from within the system/city or outside, we absolutely DO NOT have to hire anyone remotely close to retirement.

Maybe the city should  examine this logic towards hiring and promotions for all positions in the future. Simply choose someone who has time to grow and continue in the position, actually spending the prime of their employment performing to their most mature and knowledgeable capabilities.

jmo
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2009 at 1:59pm
This whole retirement scenario with city employees can be handled from a cost efficient standpoint like Procter & Gamble handles their retirement costs. When you work for Procter, the money they are plowing into your retirement fund is very little the first 2 or 3 years. Then, as you hit the 5 year mark, the company money invested into your retirement increases dramatically and as you hit your 10 and 15 year mark, they're really putting the money away for you. At 20 years, you start the leveling off process as you approach the age plus years of service adding up to 75, signaling the end of the line. Now- here's the catch (and the money savings for Procter) and the city if they were to use this method for calculating retirement costs. About every 10 years, Procter has a "cleaning out of the deadwood" called a downsizing under the guise of "restructuring" which is a load of horse crap. If they clean out a good portion of the employees approaching the 10 year mark, and they replace those 10 year high retirement input people with new- just starting to put a little into their retirement accounts, they save a bundle of money to show big profits to their major shareholders and they, the people doing the downsizing, get big bonuses for eliminating big costs. Bottom line for the city- if you want to prevent big retirement payouts, get rid of the people every 5 to 10 years or so and bring in new people just starting out with little pay-in toward their retirements. It shafts the workers but it saves money. What the heck- just like Procter, you don't have a conscience anyway, right?   
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2009 at 2:19pm
Marianne my rationale is that having continuity in upper management is better than shoveling a new person thru every 2-3 years.  Also drawing from the Law Enforcement Community at large gives you a wider selection of candidates to chose from, rather than 1 or 2.  Now I don't care if the best candidate comes from within or not, but don't limit yourself and stop the revolving door of 1-3 years and retiring at a higher rate of pay.  Increase the choice of Candidates that may be younger in age and more incline to stay longer.  I can hear it coming from Marianne now......

Any person you hire is free to leave that job at anytime, but to continue the revolving door of hiring and retiring Chiefs as seems to be the current practice is costing the city (taxpayers) to much.

Like the title says what is your "opinion" you may not like mine or agree with it and that is fine.
ashkicker View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2009 at 2:46pm
Police and fire retirements are not based on going-out highest wage, it is based on money earned in your three highest 12 month periods.  While it probably will be your last three years of employment, you may have worked a lot of over time four or five years before retiring.

I didn't realize the city continued to pay into the retirement system for me after I left the City.  I guess I should say thanks.

Police and fire pensions are available after working 25 years and being at least 48 years old.  To rise to the level to be eligible to take the Chief's test, you will have spent quite a few years climbing through the ranks, hence, you may be close to retirement age.

I noticed you used Police Chiefs as a bad example for promoting close to retirement.  What about the Fire Chiefs?  Chief Sauter was promoted in 1990 and retired in 2007 and the current, Chief Botts was promoted in the same year with an eligible retirement date in 2014.  Those Chiefs will have served 17 and at least 7 years respectfully.

A possible drawback to hiring outside is the possibilty of Middletown becoming a "stepping stone" department.  You may hire a Chief looking to build his/her resume with a 90 man department looking to go on to bigger and better things.

Oh yeah, Pacman, I am a city fire fighter so let the Union bashing begin!
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2009 at 3:14pm

Marianne my rationale is that having continuity in upper management is better than shoveling a new person thru every 2-3 years.  Also drawing from the Law Enforcement Community at large gives you a wider selection of candidates to chose from, rather than 1 or 2.  Now I don't care if the best candidate comes from within or not, but don't limit yourself and stop the revolving door of 1-3 years and retiring at a higher rate of pay.  Increase the choice of Candidates that may be younger in age and more incline to stay longer.  I can hear it coming from Marianne now......

Any person you hire is free to leave that job at anytime, but to continue the revolving door of hiring and retiring Chiefs as seems to be the current practice is costing the city (taxpayers) to much.

Like the title says what is your "opinion" you may not like mine or agree with it and that is fine.

Pacman, I'm having trouble understanding your rationale for supporting searching outside the respective departments for chiefs if you want "continuity in upper management," which is what you state.  If anything, hiring an outside chief guarantees you don't have continuity in upper management.  

Now, admittedly I know very little about the structure of the fire and police departments, but my understanding is that in the case of the police department we have a chief and two deputy chiefs, who are majors.  We also have lieutenants; I believe there are three, but I may be mistaken.   Perhaps I'm not understanding what you mean by "upper management," but those individuals are to me "upper management." 

Our current police chief has been serving this community for a number of years; the same goes for our two deputy chiefs.  I would imagine that this is true for the lieutenants as well.  So, if one of the deputy chiefs becomes the next chief or one of the lieutenants eventually becomes the chief, then he or she will have been involved in the "upper management" of the organization.   Isn't that continuity?

If you want continuity, you promote from within from candidates who have served their respective departments and understand the workings of the organization.

If you are worried about a police or fire chief only serving for 2-3 years and then retiring, I don't understand how opening up the search to outside candidates addresses that.  You need to come up with another solution it seems to me.

As for the suggestion that you'll get a "better" pool of candidates by opening the search to outside candidates, maybe you will and maybe you won't.   I don't think that it's a given that you'll have a "better" (and perhaps someone can define what better means here) group of candidates who will "better" serve this community.  

AKBobby View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKBobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2009 at 4:05pm
Knowing a few police officers and many firemen in town I can maybe chime in. I also have a first cousin that is a Sergeant here. Take if for what it's worth.

The supervisors at Middletown go through the FBI Academy or the police managment center in Kentucky once they make lieutenant. Those two schools are the best in the nation. So I know the supervisors are trained very well. I am pretty sure he said that the upper management handle budgets and all that too and one is in charge of all the training. The fire department sends their guys to top schools too to train them.  John Sauter was a great cheif and an even better school board member Thumbs%20Up  I guess my question would be wouldnt an outside chief fall to the whim of everything council wanted to do, good or bad? We had an outside superintendent at the schools and look what a failure he was. Seems that we have good people here that know the city, know the problems and know the ins and outs. Not everyone at the city is in the "good old boys club". There are officers at the fire and police department that are frustrated too and would love to make changes.

Outside management will do nothing but kiss councils rear end. And in this city, that would just about kill us off. Smile
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2009 at 5:28pm
Ashkicker--I wouldn't call using the police chief history a bad example at all.
As far as my point, I think that is accentuates exactly the trend within city admin.
Mr.Sauter was around for a long time as chief, and hopefully Mr.Botts will be here a while also.

No union-bashing here, because it goes on everywhere within the system.
I honestly can't blame the workers for taking advantage of a program laid out for them.
I blame the structure that makes this possible.
And as at AK--you can't promise workers something for 30-40 year, then pull the rug out from under them after they have fulfilled their end of the agreement.

We now have the "upside-down pyramid" in regard to municipal retirements(and in "big labor" corporations), while the pensions and tax base can no longer support this(and it will get far worse).
Do the math--tell me how this will play out down the road.
It ain't looking good.
ashkicker View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2009 at 9:02pm
SJ,

I didn't say it was bad example, it was an example of what is bad.
rhoffman View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhoffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2009 at 10:30am

I have visited your site on rare occasion and find it very entertaining.  I won’t hide behind quasi cool monikers and semi anonymous banter. I served as one of the members of this year’s Charter Committee. While I do not speak for the group or any other individual from the committee I can however speak for myself. I was at every meeting and heard every debate regarding the Charter and the recommendations put forth to the Council. Here are a few opinions and explanations.

Reducing the size of council

Is it true representation of a four ward system with a seven member council? A logical explanation is no. True representation would be one Councilman from each ward and an at large Mayor. There was a great deal of interesting discussion regarding the subject and sorry to say that it wasn’t any of your aforementioned culprits, just good old fashioned and passionate debate. There were a variety of informed reasons to consider the amendment least of which was saving the taxpayers $10,000, but a consideration none the less.

Eliminating the ward system

ATTENTION, ATTENTION. It is time to begin circling the wagons!!!! Is it about wards or is it about representation? The 2010 census is going to show that we have more than likely lost a double digit percentage of residents. We have more than one thousand empty homes in the city and an additional thousand in the process of liquidation and not currently listed. More than 50% of our housing stock was built more than 60 years ago. I did the statistical research. It’s not a time to think of ourselves as wards but a time to begin thinking of ourselves as citizens of the same small town. There are brilliant minds from throughout our city. Lets pick our best five and call’m the A-Team. We’re going to need them in the desperate times that are rapidly approaching. It honestly shouldn’t make a difference where you live. Not to mention the fact that there may even be the possibility that we can achieve better representation in Columbus. VOTE!

Term Limits

Knock it out of the park in two terms and then step up the ladder to allow room for new ideas and fresh visionaries. 

Residency requirement

We actually voted for Residency/Domicile within 12 months of accepting the job. Last week’s Supreme Court ruling changed all of that.  I would like to think that our City Manager, employees, Chief of Police and Fire all lived within, and invested in, our community. I was surprised to find that it is not the case. The law says that it doesn’t have to be. Why clutter the Charter with language that is obsolete? Council can reconvene a Charter at any time to reconsider the amendment if it is repealed or can simply convene to act on the legislation itself.

Permitting outside hiring of Police and Fire Chief

I voted no for this amendment. We’re not the Wild West, yet! Why wouldn’t we groom our own? All cities are unique and raising these men and women within our community allows them a better understanding of both citizens and criminals. I lost the vote but that my friend is true democracy at work. You don’t always get what you wish for and in this case I didn’t. Conspiracy, corruption? Why not move somewhere that these tricks of the trade could actually do you some good. Good old boys club? Possibly.

One Council Meeting required

All Councilmen are bound by Sunshine Laws regarding private meetings. If private closed door meetings were the case and any of you have the proof, please present it to the proper authorities and do us all a favor. Les Landen said he WILL prosecute. The actual issue itself was one of practicality. They honestly don’t need two meetings a month. They can choose to have as many public meetings as they want but are now only required to have one.

Advice and consent of City Council

Is the CEO of Middletown, the corporation, the City Manager or not? We are a City Manager-based form of government. Council can then hold that person responsible for their actions. The City Manager deserves the ultimate say.

Repeal Charter Board Designation

All boards exist, will exist, and will continue to be designated by Council. The Committee felt that it was old and irrelevant language. Clean it up and move it out.

Eliminating newspaper requirement

The fact of the matter is that there are a variety of mediums to consider nowadays. The majority didn’t believe that the paper reached as many people as the water bill, email, online publication and tangible copies available at both the City Building and the Public Library. An ultimate savings of $14,000 for the taxpayer as well.

Please consider the following;

1.] We didn’t agree on everything. It is a mere impossibility when you have that much knowledge and experience in one room.

2.] There was insightful and enlightening debate on a myriad of issues.

3.] I voted my conscience as well as provided an informed opinion about issues and I was appointed to do so.

4.] All of the issues that we have recommended are to go to the voters on a ballot for all of you to vote on.

5.] Council has the final say and most of these recommendations will never see the light of day. It’s pretty much guaranteed in my opinion.

Mass conspiracy? Hysteria? I think not! I’m honored to have been asked to serve with this passionate group of fellow citizens.

It is indeed time for a change. Maybe these recommendations will trigger a sea change mentality about the way that things have been done in the past. We are living in a new era of accountability on a socio and economic scale that is sure to set a proverbial benchmark in history. Bureaucracy is dead in an environment where there is no money. The war is over and greed won! Now it’s time to begin cleaning up this mess and the task could be a lot easier with the help of a few friends and neighbors.

By the people, for the people and of the people.

Sincerely,

Robert Hoffman

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2009 at 10:55am
rhoffman- Comment for the section labeled "One Council Meeting Required"- Proof on private closed door meetings- Comments and observations made on this site have eluded to the fact that, while not "closed door meetings", there have been 3 or 4 Councilpersons involved in discussion while participating on committees, which are manned by "club" personnel and city workers and Councilpersons gathered at local restaurants (Barbeque Junction/Frischs) in apparent discussion. While not certain viable evidence of any Sunshine Law violation, certainly "taking it to the limit" on impropriety and trust with the public. These are OUT IN THE PUBLIC type meetings but certainly not PUBLIC MEETINGS. There's a 99 and 44 one-hundreds % chance that city business in some form was discussed during this time. No proof, but it really looks "shady" and contributes to a lack of trust on the public's part.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2009 at 11:08am
thanx for the breakdown and quasi cool banter Mr.Hoffman.
and thanx for your involvement.
maybe when MMF can control all five elected positions in the future(by funding five like-minded candidates 20x those running on their own), you will have a better understanding of our locall elective process.

the same names have produced the same predictable results that have put us where we are today.
sunshine violations are regular here, as you should know.
Mr.Landen works for the city manager and Council, so you know how he will view the situation

maybe next time, all new names will be involved on the charter review committee, as it should be.
maybe term limits for board and committee members also?

thanx again for yer sincere efforts, and hopefully you will increase your community involvement by serving on various municipal boards in the future.
rhoffman View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhoffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2009 at 11:47am
I've never served on Boards and Commissions. I'm not a politician. I've worked just fine on my own.

Better understanding of our local elective process?
Are you joking? Honestly? I've lived here for more than thirty years. You don't need to be a brain surgeon kind sir. Is it that you believe that you are enlightening us? That we're all, with the exception of you, too stupid to understand the process?

As for the Sunshine Law comment, once again I say provide proof and quit standing in the shadows casting stones. Step out into the light and solve the dilemma once and for all. The community will thank you for it.

Community involvement?
Over the last twelve years my company, Alpha Dawg Records, has organized and or participated in events that have raised more than half a million dollars for locally-based charity including the Hope House, Louella Thompson's Dream Factory, Disabled American Veterans, Children's Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, United Way, the American Cancer Society, the Make-A-Wish Foundation and on and on. I helped organize the Main St. Art & Music Festival, helped Miami University Middletown relaunch their mothballed radio program, donated websites for Big Brothers and Big Sisters, John XXIII School, gave presentations to council, the Downtown Alliance and others. I've done all of this for free and still maintained enough time to mentor young singers and songwriters through our AIM Program. This year alphadawgrecords.com will reach more than one million people in fifty different countries throughout the world with music that our citizens have created and I still have time to work in my garden.

I'm not sure that I could be any more involved with my community than I already am.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2009 at 1:29pm

hey rh--glad to see that you are listening lol

continue to promote yer music biz here, and good luck with yer garden.
rhoffman View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhoffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2009 at 1:55pm
I sincerely apologize. Sarcastic yes, meant to insult or offend, no. You don't owe me an explanation regarding your comments and I've yet to ask for one. I'm simply stating that if you have info or proof provide it to the proper authorities. My intentions here today were simply to inform. I feel that I've done that. Thanks for the kind comps about my career and my garden.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic