FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Charter Changes What's Your Opinion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2009 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by rhoffman rhoffman wrote:

One Council Meeting required

All Councilmen are bound by Sunshine Laws regarding private meetings. If private closed door meetings were the case and any of you have the proof, please present it to the proper authorities and do us all a favor. Les Landen said he WILL prosecute. The actual issue itself was one of practicality. They honestly don’t need two meetings a month. They can choose to have as many public meetings as they want but are now only required to have one.

Present it to"the proper authorities"???  And just who might that be???  I've spoken with everyone up to and including the Ohio Attorney General's office.  The ONLY "proper authority" I can find is to file suit myself, and the costs of that are prohibitive for the average citizen.

Landen KNOWS about some of these meetings for a fact, since he, himself, has been there meeting with "a majority of the legislative authority" at a "prearranged discussion of public business" when I, myself, have pointed it out!!  (By the way, there was no mention of that fact in any minutes of that meeting.)

So, with all due respect Mr. Hoffman, I ask again: Just who is "the proper authority"???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2009 at 2:48pm
Mr. Hoffman:  You also mention that "They honestly don’t need two meetings a month."
It took them THREE YEARS to decide to retain the same Section 8 administrator since "there is no compelling reason to change."  It often takes them MONTHS to make the smallest decision.  One would think it would take twice as long with only one meeting per month.

Granted, they waste a lot of time with their silly stories and talk of "how busy" they are out "politikin", but they will have to do even more of that in one meeting per month.

Besides, if they truly only need one meeting per month, why not spend some time at the second meeting actually having TWO-WAY communications with the lowly citizens??  Since they don't "need" two meetings per month, they should be able to be be "set up for that", shouldn't they???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
rhoffman View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhoffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2009 at 2:53pm
Nor should there have been. It is a Charter Committee not a court of law.

Can you imagine how many disgruntled citizens call the Ohio Attorney General and ask for political investigations? Gather your proof and approach the media if all else fails. The proper authorities will find you if you've got a case.
rhoffman View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhoffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2009 at 2:57pm
There's not too much that you're saying that I disagree with. The meeting agenda, set by City Manager and staff, was spread out to accomodate the requirement. Lets speed things up a bit. They can have as many meetings as they need. You'll also have the opportunity to vote on the issue if it passes Council recommendation.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2009 at 3:48pm

Permitting outside hiring of Police and Fire Chief

I voted no for this amendment. We’re not the Wild West, yet! Why wouldn’t we groom our own? All cities are unique and raising these men and women within our community allows them a better understanding of both citizens and criminals. I lost the vote but that my friend is true democracy at work. You don’t always get what you wish for and in this case I didn’t. Conspiracy, corruption? Why not move somewhere that these tricks of the trade could actually do you some good. Good old boys club? Possibly.

"Grooming our own" is part of the problem. 98% of the time the child acts just like the parent. Hiring from the outside doesn't mean hiring unqualified applicants. It means putting someone in there with fresh eyes,it means having someone with no ties to council members or others of the department. "Good ole boys club" is exactly what it is. You scratch my back etc,etc,etc. I'm not sure about the conspiracy part but I have no doubts about plenty of corruption. The problem being no one wants a change,except the people on the outside. Council has a way of sprinkling a little sugar on everything and calling it sweet.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2009 at 7:53pm
Well, if we only get "outsiders" like "out-of-city manager" Huseman and present City Manager Judy "I'm all for open government" Gilleland, we apparently only choose "outsiders" that will go along with the "IN" crowd! 
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2009 at 8:09am
Originally posted by Hermes Hermes wrote:

"Grooming our own" is part of the problem. 98% of the time the child acts just like the parent. Hiring from the outside doesn't mean hiring unqualified applicants. It means putting someone in there with fresh eyes,it means having someone with no ties to council members or others of the department. "Good ole boys club" is exactly what it is. You scratch my back etc,etc,etc. I'm not sure about the conspiracy part but I have no doubts about plenty of corruption. The problem being no one wants a change,except the people on the outside. Council has a way of sprinkling a little sugar on everything and calling it sweet.

Hiring from the outside means you're hiring someone about whom you don't have the same sense of professional history as you have for someone who has been in the department for 25+ years. 

I think it's a mistake to assume someone who has been in the City of Middletown won't have "fresh eyes."  I don't think any of the current command staff would serve in the same way as Chief - to continue with your metaphor, which I don't necessarily agree with but with entertain - parents don't produce identical children (unless you're talking about multiple births); my sister and I were raised by the same parents in the same household, and we are very different people with very different ideas, and I'm sure that's the case for many parents/children, so I don't think your metaphor is a good one. 

I know that the police department invests in training their officers by sending them to seminars, etc. throughout the country.  The point of doing this, it seems to me, is for those officers to bring back those "fresh eyes" through their learning experiences.

You mention an outside person not having "ties" to City Council.  Well, an external candidate will owe his or her position entirely to the City Manager and will not have worked his or her way through the department.  If that's not having "ties" to someone (and essentially working at the pleasure of someone), then I don't know what is.  With an external candidate, I think you run a greater risk of having a Chief of police and/or fire, who is very much beholden to the City Manager. 

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2009 at 8:25am
Marianne doesn't this proposed change to the Charter make every Position in the City basically dependent on the City Manager if it is passed:

"Removing the advice and consent of council when city employees are appointed or removed."

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2009 at 8:37am
I still fail to understand why anyone would object to opening the top cop or Fire Chief job to seek out the best possible candidate, even if that candidate ends up coming from the inside.  There are 100's of job listings for Chiefs on the Net across the country they can't all be doing it wrong.

15 apply for Medina police chief's job

Posted by Sue Bielawski June 17, 2009 08:00AM

Categories: News

MEDINA Fifteen people have applied for the police chief's job.

Dennis Hanwell resigned as chief last month to run for mayor in the November general election. Lt. Robert Starcher was appointed by Mayor Jane Leaver to be interim chief on June 3.

Starcher and Lt. Greg Mason have applied to fill the position. As safety director, Leaver also can invite two additional candidates to take the qualifying exam. Thirteen applicants have sent her their resumes fill those slots.

City Council approved a contract with ISSG Consulting of Akron for a cost of $9,800 to assess the final four candidates. Although patrolmen candidates pay $40 to take a qualifying exam, candidates for the top job do not have to pay for their testing.

According to Lureen Wilson, Civil Service secretary, the tests must be administered within 60 days of the vacancy. Leaver then has 30 days to decide whom she will appoint.

The pay depends on qualifications. Including a 10 percent pension payment, the salary starts at $38.07 per hour and raises in six steps to top out at $48.60 per hour, plus benefits. Chiefs do not receive overtime, but they do get a uniform allowance, vacation and holiday pay and medical benefits. The chief does not get the use of a free car.

For information on Starcher and Mason, go to medinaoh.org and then the police department's link to lieutenants.

Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2009 at 10:00am
The review of the recommended Charter issues to council by my colleague Robert Hoffman was excellent. He was right on the depth of discussion that the minutes do not and cannot reflect. I commend him for such a good review. Council will review the recommendations with the Charter Commission on July the 7th. After that I will attempt a detailed review with an attempt to place it all in context as to where our city is now and where it is going. We all have different views on the context of certain issues that were presented and those that were not presented as recommendations. My thanks and appreciation again to Robert Hoffman for a great review he has given to the city.
        Paul Nagy
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2009 at 10:30am
MerrellWood View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MerrellWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2009 at 7:36am
As to the size of council, I favor a reduction to 5 if we can keep our wards. My orginal thinking had to do with reducing the influence of the at-large candidates. I think council will throw out both changes because of it's affect on them in the comming election. If they go ahead with both, I think the public will reject a all at-large and most possibly accept a reduction to 5.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic