FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Member of council

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Member of council
    Posted: Jun 21 2009 at 11:24am
I won't mention a name,even though the records are public,but anyone know whats going on with the foreclosure proceedings & debt collection by Butler County Commissioners involving one of our elustrious council members ? (Anyone know what I'm talking about ?)
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Impala SS View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2009 at 1:34pm
Hermes>  Would that be David by any chance?
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 6:53am
Yes it is Impala,I didn't want to mention a name but since he is a high profile politician I guess it does make it our business.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 8:27am
It's a matter of public record

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 11:27am
Was this action a result of his partnership in Barbeque Junction or on the home on Sherman Ave ? ( what property/properties does this involve?) OR- is this Butler County thing a loan? Just curious. Old Dave has certainly had his troubles with his business transactions and his jobs with Butler County and with the city of Mason, hasn't he?
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 11:41am
Mr.Schiavone is a good person and family man.
Though not close, I am proud to call him my friend.
We all make good and bad decisions daily.
I have not followed this story, and can live without prying into the personal details.
He tried to create a positive business venture in a very tough location and local business climate. Unfortunately it didn't survive.

Say what ya want(and y'all have said plenty), though after 16 years serving on Commission/Council, ya can't say that this public servant lined his pockets and profited from the service. Actually the opposite is probably true.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 1:22pm
I don't mean to be crititcal of Honorable Mayor Schiavone, however I could not let this example of his decision making skills go by.

You said, "He tried to create a positive business venture in a very tough location and local business climate. Unfortunately it didn't survive."

I say, "Why try to create a business in a tough location? Why now when the economic climate is poor? Those are not good business decisions."

Also, he used public funds to get this venture off the ground. So effectively we all paid for that failed attempt.

What did he do to promote his business? Who knew what was going on and when at the BBQ Junction? I asked the manager to post info about their place here, she never did.

When I ate there, I noticed the food was cold. I like my bbq hot. That seemed to be a problem. The food was good, but it was not hot.

Middletown 'hot' retail spots have shifted. I think anyone could make a successful restaurant happen out by I-75. It would be easy if the food was good.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 2:38pm
Spider- Schiavone may be a good person and a family man. The remarks/ statements/comments I made about the properties/foreclosures are public record as Mike has pointed out. This is no longer a private matter. Yes, he did try to create a positive business and I was sorry to see it last only a few months. We need more selection in town, not less. Now, to comment on your last statement- "ya can't say that this public servant lined his pockets and profited from the service"- Actually, in a way, he did. Recall years ago, when Schiavone was a supervisor with Butler County and he and his crew were caught at a private residence, during work time, playing cards and doing non-work activity during working hours. He was let go. Shortly thereafter, he was hired by the city of Mason in a similar role and was let go there also. Both of these positions are taxpayer funded and he, in effect, was taking money while being on "leisure time" during working hours, which is, at best, inappropriate conduct and grounds for termination on any job. These comments are not opinions but past printed facts and takes some thunder from your remarks about his honesty. It's very hard to defend some of events that have transpired with Schiavone the last 16 years.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 2:57pm
Vet--I meant his service as a Commissioner/Councilman. His employment record is a completely different situation.

MrB--didn't you bartend at the Junction?
You should know a lot about the situation.

The guy has restaurant experience in his blood, though he had partners with no successful restaurant history.

East end rent is astronomical, and there are no restaurant operations out there outside of national chains.

How many of you judgemental experts have long-term retail success in your backround?

As for the up-coming Conversation with Council:
Seems as if this is strictly for the proposed charter review amendments.
Schedule:
1 hour for hand-picked committee members to explain each amendment
1 hour for citizen discussion of these amendments
adjounment
Seems the acting chair of the committee has been by-passed completely in this process. Everything has been orchestrated by Mr.Landen and Mr.Mulligan(surprise!).

More manipulation by the "chosen few"(self chosen mutual admiration society).
My decisions are made on every amendment already. No need to attend or discuss, though it will be interesting to see what is changed or tossed in the mean time.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 3:02pm
No, I was not the bartender, lol.

I've had my computer service business for 22 years. I employ 15 full time and thousands of subcontractors worldwide. Last year we had record sales and profits. This year we are down 20%. Here is my linkedin profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnbeagle

I have 10 years experience in the restaurant business.

The rates are high on the east end for one reason, location.

First rule for restaurants, location.
Second rule for restaurants is location.
Yes, the third rule for restaurants is location.

John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 4:05pm
You know if you are attending this Conversation with Council you have to RSVP ahead of time and let them know you are coming.  I guess if you fail to RSVP they are going to toss you at the door LOL.  Why would you have to RSVP for something like this?
Smokey Burgess View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 4:28pm
They should re-title this so-called meeting as "AN ORCHESTRATED PSEUDO CONVERSATION WITH TWO MEMBERS OF THE MIDDLETOWN POLITBURO!"  It sounds like something that would be planned by Stalin, Hitler, Lenin, Etc.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 4:38pm
With all due respect, Spider, at least one of these cases is NOT about BBQ Junction!!!
At least one of these cases is about foreclosure on a property on Arlington Street.  The property taxes  are also far in arrears on this property.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 5:06pm
That must be the property that he made a Section 8 inquiry about to the Kommandant in February or March of 2008?
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 6:40pm
I just thought it interesting when I was told about Schiavones' endeavors. I don't wish bad luck on anyone and hate to see him in trouble. I was really curious as to why the Butler County Commissioners were loaning him money,is this a normal procedure for them to loan money ?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Hermes Hermes wrote:

I was really curious as to why the Butler County Commissioners were loaning him money,is this a normal procedure for them to loan money ?

Mr. Schiavone obtained a $50,000 loan from the Butler County “Revolving Loan Fund“. (I'm going strictly from memory here: Was it in January of 2008?) In the fall of 2007, he and his partners began an extensive remodeling project of the old Damon's location in the strip center on Roosevelt Blvd., without a building permit to the best of my knowledge, I might add.

Just a few weeks before BBQ Junction was ready to open, and months after he began spending the taxpayer’s $50,000, Schiavone finally got a building permit, dated February 28, 2008, and in the amount of $18,000 and some odd dollars!!!

It opened about a month later (4/1/2008?), and the “grand opening” was week or so after that.

To the best of my recollection, these were the circumstances surrounding "the loan".  I, myself, would NOT close a loan for a commercial venture to someone who had begun the venture in violation of the basic building regulations if the city wherein one of the partners was a city council mamber.  Then again, that's just me.  The Butler County Commissioners must have different criteria.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 8:48pm
Thanks Mike,I was aware of the BBQ venture but had no idea the circumstances around it.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 8:52pm
Sorry Mr.B--thought you mentioned a gig at the Junction.
my bad

OK--David served as the best mayor during his run.
Disagree? Who was better?
Wells? Powers? Mulligan?
Sonny Hill was good, and he stood tall for the citizen.
The crap treatment we get today would never happen if Sonny was still around, even in a seat.
David S treated the citizens much better also.
Noah P teamed with Becker and Landen was by far the worst and least citizen-friendly

RSVP to talk to Council(more like RSVP to LISTEN to an infomercial propaganda fest)?
No way!
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 9:47pm
And don't forget, the sanitized local press will be there to "report" ConfusedConfusedConfused on all of the good things that are supposedly happening in Middletown???  Just don't tell your dwindling number of subscribers that the Moon is made from cheese!AngryAngryAngry
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2009 at 8:14am
Spider: Yea...RSVP to council?!?!?
We will be "ALLOWED" to attend school board meeting?!?!?!?

Just who do these people think they are???   Angry

Do you think they are "baiting" us???  Could they be trying to PUSH us into some sort of rash action so that they can invoke some "emergency powers" type of edict and suspend the up-coming pesky elections???
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic